Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The number of people stanning for Square here and on Reddit is astounding :psyduck:

I'm more mindblown by an Eminem song becoming a verb.

I mean, hell of good song. But still, what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuai
May 25, 2004

Context posted:

I had to take out one of the Send("{NUMPAD0}")'s, so there were 4 instead of 5. Then, after a good 20 or so minutes tinkering with it, I got in after three tries :v:

I did the same thing but now just wish i could figure out how to make it repeat itself so i could watch tv on the couch

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ohtsam posted:

I work in tech and am extremely sympathetic for other devs when shits on fire and they're in a scramble to fix it having been on the other end of that before.
This still isn't in the bottom half of worst mmo launches anyways.

This.

The duty cap is obviously a critical error that moving forward shouldn't happen again - or if it does, SE should be able to alleviate it within a few hours (ideally one). I'm upset, too - I resorted to farming Ifrit Hard for RDM/SAM weapons. I wanna progress! I've got the time off, I have tons of food and drinks and snacks, and all my errands are taken care of. But saying "they should literally be fired" is a bit much.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Put Tanaka back in charge, I bet this wouldn't have happened under his watch

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
As annoyed as I am by the protective wall of Ul'dah's favorite father and son duo, I feel really bad for those permanently stuck from the vengeful wrath of Susano-o. That, to me, is really royally messed up.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Kuai posted:

I did the same thing but now just wish i could figure out how to make it repeat itself so i could watch tv on the couch

if you have a keyboard with macros setup a macro to hit a keybind every X seconds.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Holyshoot posted:

if you have a keyboard with macros setup a macro to hit a keybind every X seconds.

um how are you going to do this from your rightful place in an orderly, safe line

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I mean, it's not the devs' fault, it's the fault of them not having enough resources allocated for the launch. They're trying their best, it's just a dismal launch because Square corporate is stingy with server resources. If they were willing to pay, they could have been using Amazon cloud services for the duration of the launch to dynamically allocate instance space.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I mean, it's not the devs' fault, it's the fault of them not having enough resources allocated for the launch. They're trying their best, it's just a dismal launch because Square corporate is stingy with server resources. If they were willing to pay, they could have been using Amazon cloud services for the duration of the launch to dynamically allocate instance space.

"Put it in the cloud" is nowhere near as easy to actually do than it is to say.

:smithcloud:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Meldonox posted:

I've worked in software long enough both to have seen worse releases and to be super loving glad I'm not on this project.

:same:

FFXIV's Community, CS, and Liveop teams are earning their pay this weekend. :supaburn:

e: Wow this PVP queue popped fast for a level 53 Samur....90k :suicide:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 17, 2017

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFXIV's Community, CS, and Liveop teams are earning their pay this weekend. :supaburn:

I'd say something sympathetic about these poor bastards not getting to see their families again anytime soon but lol Japanese work culture.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

"Put it in the cloud" is nowhere near as easy to actually do than it is to say.

:smithcloud:

You mean the cloud isn't a magical land of infinity?! :aaaaa:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
3070 error, thats a new one

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

RIP Excalibur, I guess.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
this isn't even the worst downtime excalibur's had.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's really helpful, thank you! My next challenge is going to be remembering which pomanders are which in the item menu so that I can quickly click the right ones.

This is really embarrassing lol

It's fine because for some bizarre reason nobody seems to actually use them. Like I'll be in runs have 3 damage/defense pomanders because I'm the only one actually using them.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I want to see Yoshida on his knees crying and bowing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Raiad posted:

Instead of the game crashing when trying to enter an instance, it would crash when trying to open the inventory, since even the UI triggered server calls

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Sure. They're still open to DDoSes, though, and as others said, it's not a simple process. I do agree it or an equally/more effective solution should be in place next time.

vOv posted:

It's fine because for some bizarre reason nobody seems to actually use them. Like I'll be in runs have 3 damage/defense pomanders because I'm the only one actually using them.

Most of the time no one uses Lusts the boss unless I do. Which, whatever, more comms for me and 51-60 is trivial.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope I don't have to do the last ARR dungeon again because the game died in the middle of the twenty hour cutscene after you beat the Ultima Weapon.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

isk posted:

This.

The duty cap is obviously a critical error that moving forward shouldn't happen again - or if it does, SE should be able to alleviate it within a few hours (ideally one). I'm upset, too - I resorted to farming Ifrit Hard for RDM/SAM weapons. I wanna progress! I've got the time off, I have tons of food and drinks and snacks, and all my errands are taken care of. But saying "they should literally be fired" is a bit much.

I dunno man, either they didn't see this coming which is a downright incredible lack of foresight, or they did know that the instance servers wouldn't be able to handle this pounding and still put a line of story battle quests like a half an hour in to the expansion. Neither is a good look, really

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Kuai posted:

Please don't blame me if this somehow triggers a ban :v:

code:
#include <Timers.au3>
#include <AutoItConstants.au3>

HotKeySet('{PAUSE}','WallClambered')

While 1
  Sleep(10000)
  ScaleWallAdamantly()
WEnd

Func ScaleWallAdamantly()
  Send("{NUMPADDOT}")
  Sleep(50)
  Send("{NUMPADDOT}")
  Sleep(1000)
  Send("{NUMPAD3}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD4}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(3500)
  Send("{ESC}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
EndFunc

Func WallClambered()
  Exit
EndFunc

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Finished The Vault where both Samurai were asking for Protect despite no deaths. Now it won't load my character and I'm getting a 3070 error when I try to log in.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Finished The Vault where both Samurai were asking for Protect despite no deaths. Now it won't load my character and I'm getting a 3070 error when I try to log in.

Sickness must be purged.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Raiad posted:

loving SERVER-SIDE MENUS WHY GODAMMIT WHY

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

thanks reddit

now I really wanna make a femroe sombra machinist

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Raiad posted:

Having to camp a dozen rare monsters for a rare drop to progress each story quest would have kept the instances use low yes.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jimbot posted:

I hope I don't have to do the last ARR dungeon again because the game died in the middle of the twenty hour cutscene after you beat the Ultima Weapon.

Was it after you clicked the exit? RIP if not

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

vOv posted:

Sickness must be purged.

Look, if the game is gonna take away half my kit, I'm gonna use what I want :colbert:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Is the server completely dead for everyone else now too?

e: Nevermind, just came back to life.

double edit: Guess it still is dead since I'm 404 in the queue too.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 17, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014
as a software engineer with years of software engineering experience, I'm gay

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Players in queue: 404. made me chuckle

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Minrad posted:

Mine says the same thing

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Minrad posted:

I'm also number 404. Hmmmmmmmmm

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Almost everyone is #404

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

it's also not going down

404, queue not found

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
How to SAM.
http://i.imgur.com/0qq0ydt.png

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Red Red Blue posted:

I dunno man, either they didn't see this coming which is a downright incredible lack of foresight, or they did know that the instance servers wouldn't be able to handle this pounding and still put a line of story battle quests like a half an hour in to the expansion. Neither is a good look, really

Don't get me wrong - this is a critical/priority 1 problem. In my job, someone forgets to check a box and it costs thousands if not millions of dollars - equally rare and impactful. "I'm really mad" is a valid reaction. "They should be fired" is an overreach. Unless there's a trend or demonstrable malfeasance, like if this was a genuine mistake or an incorrect estimation, I'm reasonably confident whoever's responsible a) feels like poo poo, and b) wants to take steps to prevent this moving forward.

*edit -

Also: don't be a bad like me and miss the flank/rear combo -> Kenki boosts.

isk fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 17, 2017

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

panda clue posted:

as a software engineer with years of software engineering experience, I'm gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Was it after you clicked the exit? RIP if not

It was, thankfully. Was loving close, though. Holy poo poo. I was glad to hear this sort of dumb garbage isn't in dungeons going forward. Cutscenes in group content... Square sure are special.