Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Maybe CK3 will give us randomized Fallout 4 style character faces, and inbred people will just get modifiers on birth to their chin size and eyespacing.

e: Truck Karen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Crow Jane posted:

Well yes, but it takes away from the fun of empire building when you're basically ruling over the Deliverance setting :smith:

Also wanted to say I like the newish West Germanic portraits, it's nice to see more variety in that region.Though I must say, I sorta wish that ugly characters actually were noticeably ugly. If my realm is going to be a cesspit of terrible genetic traits, I want to at least be able to laugh at my subjects' terrible faces. I realize that'd probably be prohibitively difficult, but I can dream

That for me is what I'd want to see in CK3 - some kinds of Sims style 3d faces generated from traits of the parents. Yes it'd be horrifying at times.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hey people look like feet nowadays

I bet they looked like clubbed feet back in they day

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My coat of arms might as well be an infected gouty clubfoot at this point

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I actually really want Civ style cartoon graphics for really cool portraits and poo poo

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Also I want everyone to look like stereotypes, like all the Indians look like Civ-style Gollum Gandhi

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Datasmurf posted:

I'm thinking I might need to do something about France …

In addition to what others have posted before, what's up with Bohemia owning all of Persia? Khotan of all places extending as far west as the Black Sea? And is India ruled by a Muslim emirate?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

In addition to what others have posted before, what's up with Bohemia owning all of Persia? Khotan of all places extending as far west as the Black Sea? And is India ruled by a Muslim emirate?

The title would be the last name of the Muslim ruler instead of the Bengal Empire if it was a Muslim.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, Bohemia got mighty big this time around. Khotan is catholic and is spreading like wildfire after a bunch of us decided to kill Gengis before he could do some serious hurt. India is currently cathar, but has been Catholic, slavic, romuva, and norse. The empire started out as buddhist, though.

The papacy on the other hand, is gulping up more and more of Italy. No idea what's going on there, but I say let them. The HRE got broken up by cathar France and me.

The map has changed a bit since the picture was taken. Iceland ended up in a war with France and some others and after some hundred years took Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Prague, and half of Poland, while also eating some of the Byzantine. Then all of a sudden one of my vassals had a foothold in Wales and was warring it up, so now the Empire of Iceland stretches across half of Britain, too.

After checking it out, even though there are muslims and a caliph who now and then throws jihads against cathar France to get back Mecca, (usually when the pope decides to throw a crusade for France), none of the leaders of the countries are muslim. They're mostly catholic, cathar, slavic, or norse.

France ended up with a revolt, which split it into the two empires. Francia and Hispania. Hispania is now led by a norseman whos religious leader is me. Now to get some ties going, I guess.

All in all, quite a fun and interesting game. I love it when stuff like this happens. When it seems like the AI has gone haywire et cetera.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
Anyone had any success porting their alt history save file over to EU? Like is it playable with these freakish huge weird nations?

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
It is. Or, at least it was possible the last time I tried, some years ago, before the adding of India. I expanded the empire of Rogaland all over Europe, from Iceland to Mecca. Worked well enough in EU4. Though there were some boring years before I could get ships to go far enough out to colonize the US and the Pacific.

I'm looking forward to finishing this and exporting it to EU4. It'll be quite interesting, I think.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I kind of prefer CK1's portraits. The cartoonier aesthetic fits in better with UI and you don't have to deal with as many blank stares at the camera.

Speaking of portraits, I'm getting really tired of every character who catches a little plague or gets wounded putting on some kind of horrifying mask.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

SlothfulCobra posted:

I kind of prefer CK1's portraits. The cartoonier aesthetic fits in better with UI and you don't have to deal with as many blank stares at the camera.

Speaking of portraits, I'm getting really tired of every character who catches a little plague or gets wounded putting on some kind of horrifying mask.

Which, seeing at it can happen from being a leper (rather rare) being wounded in battle, or as a possible outcome of a medical procedure, ends up being too common if your rulers live to a respectable age. I think my current five-or-so kings run has had three different disfigured guys. Come on, you're a viking, if anything having a borked nose or cheek or something should be more befitting and awe-inspiring that wearing a ugly hockey mask :v:.

I had an event happen where my character decided "gently caress it I'm rich and the king" and made himself a solid gold mask. Gotta admit, that's badass.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

You can get gold prosthetic hands and legs too, it's pretty cool.

Speaking of masks, why doesn't my satanic high priestess queen get the sweet goat skull that male high priests do? I killed a lot of people to get there, I think I deserve more than a gray hockey mask :colbert:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to press my strong claims? I forged them but I only have the ability to declare tributary wars on the title holders. I can press the same claim of someone I brought to my court though.

I'm playing a gaian woman in the After the End mod if that helps.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jiru posted:

Which, seeing at it can happen from being a leper (rather rare) being wounded in battle, or as a possible outcome of a medical procedure, ends up being too common if your rulers live to a respectable age. I think my current five-or-so kings run has had three different disfigured guys. Come on, you're a viking, if anything having a borked nose or cheek or something should be more befitting and awe-inspiring that wearing a ugly hockey mask :v:.

I had an event happen where my character decided "gently caress it I'm rich and the king" and made himself a solid gold mask. Gotta admit, that's badass.

I think in some recent versions it was far likelier to get disfigured. Everybody was wearing a mask.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

quote:

DON'T BUY THIS GAME REPEAT DON'T BUY THIS GAME this coming from someone who was a HUGE fan of Paradox, due to EU2 - 3 and 4.. With this game PARADOX crossed a BIG FAT RED LINE in terms the way it markets its products

Like a lot of people apparently, I was already a little bit annoyed with Paradox 's DLC policy, which was obviously "hooking" its customers by giving an "entry platform game" at a reasonable (but by no mean cheap!) price, and them making them pay again and again for bits of advanced rules at outrageous price. I could however accept it, because the "basic package" was indeed a playable and enjoyable game. In other terms, one could always choose whether or not to buy any of the proposed "expansions". Or so I believed... But what happened to me playing CKII is NOT ACCEPTABLE and is BUSINESS MALPRACTICE. After hours and hours of play, I found myself trapped into an chain of event which left no option than to convert to paganism, but then the game told me that I couldn't continue to play because I didn't but the "old gods" extension. This is a COMPLETE DEPARTURE from what I experienced with EU4 : the extensions were "add-on" whose absence never hindered my playing experience. Here, quite simply CKII declares your game "over" because you don't have the right DLC, and this after several hours of playing time.

SO BASICALLY WHAT PARADOX SOLD ME AS A GAME WAS, IN FACT, A DEMO !

I bought CK2 for about 40 euros, but now in fact I have To shell out 15 more for this "old gods" extensions" which most probably only deals with a relatively minor aspect of the game. And if it happened once , I have every reason to believe that it will happen again, sometime in the future with some other aspect of the game... What price am I supposed to pay for a "fully playable version" 70 euros ? 100 euros ? more ?

SINCE PARADOX DIDN'T DEAL HONESTLY WITH ME, I WILL NOT PAY A CENT MORE !

I won't buy the "old gods" DLC , or any other.

PARADOX HAS PROBABLY LOST ME AS A CUSTOMER.
Lol steam reviews

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

The EUIV reviews are like 5 pages of this lately . Not sure who lit a fire up their asses.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
It seemed like the spawn of satan always wears a mask too when I was playing as a female one. She didn't have the mask before coming of age, then after she died it didn't show up anymore and she was a normal looking lady.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Those Events should really have a chance of giving the Ugly trait instead.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Those Events should really have a chance of giving the Ugly trait instead.

Ugly's genetic
, so I'd rather not doom my kids to loneliness just because I was unfortunate enough to get my face chopped off. Maybe if they had some non-genetic version, like frail or dull, that'd be reasonable. Alternatively, yes, go for it, Lamarck was right, the child of a disfigured father will also be disfigured.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

A degree of Lamarckian genetics makes sense when being twisted by satanic forces is on the table. :v:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Wolfechu posted:

The EUIV reviews are like 5 pages of this lately . Not sure who lit a fire up their asses.
Apparently Paradox has raised the base price (in preparation for Steam Sale discounts? which would be a bit scummy). No idea how to check if thats the case.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think they just raised prices in the UK because the pound is worthless.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
~Super Gamers~ everywhere are in full riot mode over Bethesda and Rockstar's latest efforts at turning mods into DLC and are just swinging wildly at every fly that buzzes by.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I don't think outrage over raising the prices of old rear end games like CKII is petty or comparable to tears over Beth's creation club.

CKII was around £25 on launch and now it's £35 despite it being over 5 years old. That's just loving shameful, not to mention it's hit countries MUCH poorer than the UK.

I love CKII and I love Paradox to death and have defended them many times in the past but you can't turn around and tell me the only people pissed off here are over sensitive gamers. Gamers are morons but even stupid assholes can be right about things.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
CKII is definitely more than 7/5 better than it was 5 years ago. I'm not going to pretend I don't want stuff to cost less, but also if you've waited 5 years you can wait till the next time the game is on sale 50%. I feel icky defending a corporation, even Pdox, so I'll stop.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
According to some reports they've trippled the price of Vikky 2 and doubled the price of CK2 in several regions

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chakan posted:

CKII is definitely more than 7/5 better than it was 5 years ago. I'm not going to pretend I don't want stuff to cost less, but also if you've waited 5 years you can wait till the next time the game is on sale 50%. I feel icky defending a corporation, even Pdox, so I'll stop.

But its only better if you pay for DLC tho

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

If they threw in a major DLC or two, or even some of the cosmetic stuff, it might go down a little easier

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Phi230 posted:

That isn't true, the free patches have added a LOT to the game over the past few years

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Phi230 posted:

That's not true, there are a ton of improvements concluded in the patches to the base game.

Look it up on CK2wiki, here an example:

2.7 (Monks&Mystcs patch free features):

quote:

Religious cults
Gone are the days when you are forced to abandon the old ways, as you are able to falsely confess to a new religion while still keeping true to your faith in secret
When you convert, you can choose to secretly still worship your old religion
With enough Prestige, a ruler with a secret religion can create a cult to recruit more members
Powers include the ability to:
Evoke Sympathy for your secret religion in other rulers
Induct rulers to your secret religion
Openly Adopt Faith to openly convert to your secret religion, forcing other members within your realm to do the same
Treasury
Rulers now possess a treasury, a place in which to store collected artifacts and items
Several old items that used to be Character Modifiers have been replaced with actual artifacts and will instead be placed within the Treasury

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BillBear posted:

I don't think outrage over raising the prices of old rear end games like CKII is petty or comparable to tears over Beth's creation club.

CKII was around £25 on launch and now it's £35 despite it being over 5 years old. That's just loving shameful, not to mention it's hit countries MUCH poorer than the UK.

I love CKII and I love Paradox to death and have defended them many times in the past but you can't turn around and tell me the only people pissed off here are over sensitive gamers. Gamers are morons but even stupid assholes can be right about things.

Why's it shameful if people are paying it? That it came out 5 years ago doesn't stop it from being among the best, if not the best, strategy games out there right now. If you buy the game now, you get a game that runs extremely well, that has active support, and that has more DLC in the works, just like you would get with a brand new game. And that's been an ongoing thing for the last 5 years. If I didn't already own pretty much everything, I'd drop $60 on a game of the year edition without even thinking about it today. I can't think of any other 5 year old game I could say that about. Just because it wasn't released 6 months ago doesn't mean they're crooks if they sell it for more than $10. A lot of man hours have gone into making this game what it is.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

Why's it shameful if people are paying it?
Because the market decides rates, not ethics. This is the first I've heard of the price hike, but it's pretty sketchy, especially given the way they already gouge you on tiny little dlc packs

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Phi230 posted:

they've trippled the price of Vikky 2

Vicky 3 confirmed! :dance:

If the price hike thing is correct then it sucks, unless the base game comes with a dlc or two nowadays.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It's the same price in usd. I can't speak for poorer regions getting a price hike but the U.K. Getting a hike probably has to do with the pounds free fall in 5 years more than anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, they only places I've heard of the price increase are places where their money is worth significantly less compared to other money than it used to be. It's really the fault of the Tories and Brexit.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, the european Steam price changes are most likely due to the GBP and EUR taking a poo poo against the USD. I'm Canadian, so I'm just used to massive price hikes everytime the northern peso tanks.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
So game question since I haven't played for a long rear end time. I started playing as one of the already christian celtic tribals in Charlemagne start with the intent to form a pirate republic down the line, and I got a muslim physician as a random event, who then suggested I convert (tempted to do it for the giggles). I figure I can always cheese with Umayyad support since they've already swallowed Leon by now and possibly eventually flip Wales and Ireland to cover my rear end once the english get their poo poo in order, but do muslim merchant republics still get saddled with ridiculous amounts of decadence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Agnosticnixie posted:

So game question since I haven't played for a long rear end time. I started playing as one of the already christian celtic tribals in Charlemagne start with the intent to form a pirate republic down the line, and I got a muslim physician as a random event, who then suggested I convert (tempted to do it for the giggles). I figure I can always cheese with Umayyad support since they've already swallowed Leon by now and possibly eventually flip Wales and Ireland to cover my rear end once the english get their poo poo in order, but do muslim merchant republics still get saddled with ridiculous amounts of decadence?

Nope. Decadence doesn't affect republics. The mechanic just disappears.

• Locked thread