Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Surprisingly Dope posted:

So I guess Erwin is probably a titan shifter, considering losing his arm didn't seem to do too much to him and usually this show is more realistic when it comes to human injuries.

It's not that much more realistic. If it did, Eren would have been incapacitated after his first fight with the Colossal Titan - he was hit with a jet of pressurized steam, after all. Several other characters would have been either dead or maimed after failing their 3D maneuvre and hitting the ground or buildings. It's practically "Saving Private Ryan" compared to some other animes, but there is no point in trying to expect realistic damage model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

It's not that much more realistic. If it did, Eren would have been incapacitated after his first fight with the Colossal Titan - he was hit with a jet of pressurized steam, after all. Several other characters would have been either dead or maimed after failing their 3D maneuvre and hitting the ground or buildings. It's practically "Saving Private Ryan" compared to some other animes, but there is no point in trying to expect realistic damage model.

Also people are surprisingly good at having long conversations or inner monologues while being seriously maimed.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Also people are surprisingly good at having long conversations or inner monologues while being seriously maimed.

isn't that every anime ever
What ruins this show for me is when they have longwinded conversations while doing 3d maneuver for minutes at a time without re-grappling. Just lazy animation and of course very nitpick.
Show good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they have really long cables

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Sjs00 posted:

isn't that every anime ever
What ruins this show for me is when they have longwinded conversations while doing 3d maneuver for minutes at a time without re-grappling. Just lazy animation and of course very nitpick.
Show good.
I just laugh at that now. I think they made it look better than the first time, but it's still ridiculous.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Maera Sior posted:

I just laugh at that now. I think they made it look better than the first time, but it's still ridiculous.

its the same as ninjas jumping thru the forest canopy at 50mph while holding casual conversation

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Finally all caught up with the show again. One thing I'm really liking is how the man behind the Colossal Titan is such a shmuck in reality. You just always really get the feeling from the last few episodes, ever since his reveal, that for a long while now, he has been *way* in over his head, and has never been able to really grasp the enormity of what he's done, or what his plans are. He's been living so many deceptions, even he's not really sure where he stands in all of this. Reiner has been able to keep a somewhat cool head in all of this craziness, but Bertholdt seems to have absolutely no clue where he's going with all of this.

Oh yeah, and this season really has done wonders for fleshing out Christa and Ymir's characters.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Reiner has? The guy with multiple personality disorder has got it together?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, I see the reverse. Bert knows what he's done and feels guilty about it, Reiner is loving crazy and can't parse the two sides of his life.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I dunno, I just see Reiner having a clearer idea of why he's doing all of this. Bertholdt just smacks me as a guy who basically has no clue what's actually going on, even if he's privy to all the top-secret plans and such. Or if he does, it's so utterly monstrous that lying to himself is the only way he can keep himself going.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Whereas Annie is the most remorseless murderer of the three by far and good god I hope her story isn't over yet she's awesome

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Sjs00 posted:

Whereas Annie is the most remorseless murderer of the three by far and good god I hope her story isn't over yet she's awesome

She didn't look too thrilled about killing Marco in the flashback.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sylphid posted:

I dunno, I just see Reiner having a clearer idea of why he's doing all of this. Bertholdt just smacks me as a guy who basically has no clue what's actually going on, even if he's privy to all the top-secret plans and such. Or if he does, it's so utterly monstrous that lying to himself is the only way he can keep himself going.

Berthold has got it mostly together despite the guild gnawing at him, but he's got zero initiative. His flaw is he needs direction, which Reiner provides.

Reiner on the other hand is a driven and decisive guy, natural leader material, but the guilt essentially drove him towards DID and the shock of the last couple weeks of in-story time almost caused him to break down, and probably would have without Berthold to help steady him.

Lastly, Annie is the most level-headed of the three and suited to operating alone, but from her sudden outbursts of emotion at times she gives the impression of someone who is just trying really hard to remain aloof by burying all negative feelings deep inside her. The tells are her expressions of shock at times, losing her act and rambling when she realized she had been found out at Stohess, and that the one thing on her mind while desperately trying to make her escape is the desire to return to her family.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Season 3 starts next year :tviv:

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy
A great and epic episode, it reveals the cover about Eren potentials in controlling Titans, and that's why he is wanted by the leaders of Reiner.
still no word about season 3? cannot wait for it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B13yISVHWI

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Ahmed posted:

still no word about season 3? cannot wait for it.

Coming next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCpa4UgHlgA

Edit:

Catalina posted:

Alternative spoiler nazi opinion: absolutely DO NOT click on that link. One of the manga covers actually made me very angry to see when I was buying volumes of manga, as I was 4 volumes behind, as it shows....well, it shows something that I wanted to experience happening through reading the story, not seeing it on a cover, as well as completely deflating the tension of one major scene in the story leading up to it. Most of the other covers are benign, but there are 3 that I would have been really irritated to see before getting to that point in the story.

Here's a picture so no one has to click on that link if they don't want to! Ta-da!

Also, a friendly reminder to never google anything, ever. The poor poster earlier in this thread who googled something they thought they knew, and ended up comparing what they found out to Game of Thrones was absolutely correct. There's something that happened in this last episode, that I can think of like at least 5 amazing plot points nested within each other. :psyduck:

You anime-only guys have gotten so far, and I find the story and the way it unravels to be so amazing, I hope you get to experience it that way too.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 17, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Note that this contains every manga volume cover to date, so it has some mild spoilers

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

that finale blew it out of the park

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Sjs00 posted:

She looked horrified at crushing that building full of people, too.

But yes, hoping for that too.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Bert knows what he's doing and precisely because of that he is filled with a crippling guilt and anxiety of having to choose between doing something he doesn't want to do and potentially getting killed or not doing it with an even higher likelihood of being killed

Reiner's just a big old disassociative personality disordered knucklehead

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Shneak posted:

Season 3 starts next year :tviv:

That's great. I was worried about another huge wait. Excellent finale. Eren's voice actor did an amazing job this season.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Goodness that episode was great.

Legit first thing I thought of haha

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

:tviv:

I enjoyed this season a lot more than the first season. While the first season certainly had spice, and some of the greatest action sequences I've ever seen in anime, it was ultimately bogged down by too much shounen nonsense and dragging pace in places it really shouldn't have dragged.

All of that was addressed this season at the price of a few less hype action scenes, and I'm ok with paying for that. The story, dialogue, and pace were all tightened up, and the action was still fun to watch. And we've even got clear expectations for a continuation, which is wonderful.

Random tangent: I didn't like this season's OP song because I thought it tried too hard to be a secondary copy of the 1st season's 1st OP song, rather than become its own thing. If the first season was more high-impact action and the second season was more horror mystery, the songs should have adjusted in theme to adapt as well.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

Note that this contains every manga volume cover to date, so it has some mild spoilers

Alternative spoiler nazi opinion: absolutely DO NOT click on that link. One of the manga covers actually made me very angry to see when I was buying volumes of manga, as I was 4 volumes behind, as it shows....well, it shows something that I wanted to experience happening through reading the story, not seeing it on a cover, as well as completely deflating the tension of one major scene in the story leading up to it. Most of the other covers are benign, but there are 3 that I would have been really irritated to see before getting to that point in the story.

Here's a picture so no one has to click on that link if they don't want to! Ta-da!

Also, a friendly reminder to never google anything, ever. The poor poster earlier in this thread who googled something they thought they knew, and ended up comparing what they found out to Game of Thrones was absolutely correct. There's something that happened in this last episode, that I can think of like at least 5 amazing plot points nested within each other. :psyduck:

You anime-only guys have gotten so far, and I find the story and the way it unravels to be so amazing, I hope you get to experience it that way too.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Highpoint of the episode was absolutely "I'll wrap it around you as many times as you want". Pure Eren, there. So dopey.

2018 isn't *that* far off- do I want to read the manga in the interim? I think I might, but interacting with all of the other anime-only people for the whole season was a lot of fun and I'm frustrated by some of what we didn't learn, and some of what it seems like we'll never learn (ie. the identity of the smiling titan or whatever it's called).

Also: Is the Beast Titan a coordinator, too? What do Bert and Ernie know about Ymir's past? She just kinda put that "I was a goddess for a while" thing out there and they didn't bat an eye, and what we saw wasn't terribly coherent..

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

AnacondaHL posted:

:tviv:

I enjoyed this season a lot more than the first season. While the first season certainly had spice, and some of the greatest action sequences I've ever seen in anime, it was ultimately bogged down by too much shounen nonsense and dragging pace in places it really shouldn't have dragged.

All of that was addressed this season at the price of a few less hype action scenes, and I'm ok with paying for that. The story, dialogue, and pace were all tightened up, and the action was still fun to watch. And we've even got clear expectations for a continuation, which is wonderful.

Random tangent: I didn't like this season's OP song because I thought it tried too hard to be a secondary copy of the 1st season's 1st OP song, rather than become its own thing. If the first season was more high-impact action and the second season was more horror mystery, the songs should have adjusted in theme to adapt as well.

AoT S2:

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
When Mikasa reassured Eren, it was shot like an insane shoujo confession, only it wasn't that far off from an actual shoujo confession

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

here lies mikasa, she never scored

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

here lies mikasa, she never scored

I still believe, but she's either going to have to pin Eren to the ground by force, or settle for someone else, because Eren only gets hard for titan murder

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

HenryEx posted:

I still believe, but she's either going to have to pin Eren to the ground by force, or settle for someone else, because Eren only gets hard for titan murder

"Eren, honey, this hurts my back. Why do we always have to do this on Annie's crystal, and why won't you ever agree to be on the bottom?"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Like most fantastic shows nowadays, they spent most of their budget on the penultimate episode, so other than the gif someone else already made, here's the other two parts that felt gif-able.

If anyone asks, he was chowing down real hard on a PB&J sandwich.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, this last episode looked like a film compared to the rest of the season. Hopefully they get a larger budget for season 3.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

Also: Is the Beast Titan a coordinator, too? What do Bert and Ernie know about Ymir's past? She just kinda put that "I was a goddess for a while" thing out there and they didn't bat an eye, and what we saw wasn't terribly coherent..
Annie had control over titans too, right? Although she only showed it in titan form.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
For those of us who live in europe, or another country where funimation thinks they shouldnt show announcement videos like that, here is a mirror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUfsahkHqu4

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Annie had control over titans too, right? Although she only showed it in titan form.

It seems to me more that she just got their attention with her scream, just like a human making noise would draw their attention. The Titans seem to be drawn to Annie and friends just like they're drawn to humans, so they saw her and chowed down.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Reminds me of that video of a lobster with a knife and a guy trying to take the knife back.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Eren Season one: "I'm gonna loving murder all of the titans!!!!"

Eren Season two: Becomes boy-king of the titans.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
So yes, Eren is intentionally written as a dope and his every failure is part of the pleasure for the viewer.

Hope none of you like Eren.

Mikasa will kill you if you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just watched the levi backstory ova and lmao at this "living underground makes your legs go bad" thing

it's so pointless and it makes no sense. I don't get why they did that at all

• Locked thread