Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

So an uncommon modal cycle with very simple effects core to that section of the colour pie. Black should be worth a look as it will presumably be a removal option, maybe card draw for life loss or hand disruption. Figure green will fetch a basic land and maybe do a fight.

And we've already seen the red one which we can basically say is the shittiest. You know, like every modular cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Should've written 8000 words on how to Liliana, instead of Brainstorm.

I don't watch the coverage stuff, is it that guy? The Stock Mana guy? Hahaha.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

TwistedNails posted:

Modern is in a good place with a lot of good decks. You're very much over reacting.

Nah. It can be ban worthy without being overpowered or format destroying. It violates their turn-4 standard and is substantially better than several currently banned cards

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Count Bleck posted:

And we've already seen the red one which we can basically say is the shittiest. You know, like every modular cycle.

I'm not even sure it's the worst one we've seen. I think the red one is really relevant in the format.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I hope that little girl is playing affinity and runs into Pascal Maynard playing Bant Eldrazi so that he can get wrecked all the time by people less than 1/3 his age.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Nah. It can be ban worthy without being overpowered or format destroying. It violates their turn-4 standard and is substantially better than several currently banned cards

So does Melira. The difference is Viscera Seer is probably worse than Devoted Druid. If anything from the deck needs to be banned (it probably doesn't) it's Chord.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Thorn of Amethyst seems pretty brutal against Living End - Cascading into Living End takes five mana! I wonder if this Blue Steel deck might be able to just jam 4 Thorns 4 Lodestones.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Wow. Saw on the local mtg Facebook group that they aren't offering any Standard On Demand Events at GP Vegas anymore due to lack of demand.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

There are still ptqs but yeah.

Why play standard when you can do flashback​ drafts. TSP draft was the most fun I've had playing magic in a long while.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

this owns

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

Wait, what? You mean Abrade? That card seems insane. It kills every 2 drop in the format, HoK, and blows up Gearhulks. Not sure how much more you can ask, the card seems very powerful.

The blue spell seems like garbage, anticipate was already bad, I don't think a 3cmc peer through depths is better, and 3 mana leaks are beyond awful.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That card honestly may have found a home in Marvel. Being able to hold up a counterspell for something worthy, and if nothing worthy is played dig 4 for the Marvel.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Supreme Will is quite good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Supreme Will owns so hard. It's definitely going right in my cube.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dehtraen posted:

Wow. Saw on the local mtg Facebook group that they aren't offering any Standard On Demand Events at GP Vegas anymore due to lack of demand.

The GP isn't Standard though? Most players don't bring more than one constructed deck, they'll just draft or find something else to do in Vegas (but what?) if they don't day two.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

The GP isn't Standard though? Most players don't bring more than one constructed deck, they'll just draft or find something else to do in Vegas (but what?) if they don't day two.

Every GP I've ever been to had vintage, legacy, modern, and standard side events. And obviously all kinds of limited.

Apparently Cleveland has 2 frontier events but no vintage. :shrug:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Marketing New Brain posted:

The blue spell seems like garbage, anticipate was already bad, I don't think a 3cmc peer through depths is better, and 3 mana leaks are beyond awful.

It's not the best spell ever or anything but your soft counters being able to dig you into your finisher once your opponent has 7+ lands out and isn't playing anything seems playable in standard to me if anticipate is playable.

DangerDongs posted:

That card honestly may have found a home in Marvel. Being able to hold up a counterspell for something worthy, and if nothing worthy is played dig 4 for the Marvel.

I mean if you're playing marvel in modern you're probably already dead and but if we are talking frontier, sure I suppose

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

C-Euro posted:

This girl rules btw

Does anyone know if any of her matches are up on YouTube or something? I've been trying to teach my daughter Magic and I think she might get a kick out of watching her.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Supreme Will owns so hard. It's definitely going right in my cube.
Yea it's a very good card. Modality is often underrated, especially on conditional cards. You can safely leave up three mana for this and know you'll get something out of it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ManMythLegend posted:

Does anyone know if any of her matches are up on YouTube or something? I've been trying to teach my daughter Magic and I think she might get a kick out of watching her.

Same, I've got a five year old sort of step-daughter who is just getting interested in playing Magic now that she's starting to be able to read. How old is this girl?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dehtraen posted:

It's not the best spell ever or anything but your soft counters being able to dig you into your finisher once your opponent has 7+ lands out and isn't playing anything seems playable in standard to me if anticipate is playable.

I mean if you're playing marvel in modern you're probably already dead and but if we are talking frontier, sure I suppose

May have is a past tense, as if if Marvel wasn't banned.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

BJPaskoff posted:

Same, I've got a five year old sort of step-daughter who is just getting interested in playing Magic now that she's starting to be able to read. How old is this girl?

She was cast the first match this morning. She's on elves. And she won her first round despite not navigating the deck flawlessly.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
CFB should seriously have her write a tournament report.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

That reminds me, does anyone know of a place to get a good, solid box for my cube? I'm not super in love with hauling a $13k cube around in a broken holiday box (and they're all broken.) I was thinking of trying to find a local carpenter and seeing if they can do something but it would be kind of hard to describe exactly what I want. If there's somewhere I could go online to find them that would be nice.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
She needed help holding up six cards at once to resolve Collected Company. :allears:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
The 6 year old is 2-3

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ManMythLegend posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/152498517 Her match starts at 44 minutes in.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Stream just now was telling an awesome story about how she started playing when she was 3, before she even knew how to read. Her dad taught her all the cards in her deck and she just memorized them all.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
"Good news: you have a feature match round 1. Bad news: the entire world is rooting for your opponent."

A rare gem from the Twitch chat.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

DangerDongs posted:

May have is a past tense, as if if Marvel wasn't banned.

May have slotted into the UW flash deck with Reflector Mage and Smuggler's Copter, too. Probably in the Saheeli & Felidar Guardian decks as well

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Lone Goat posted:

Awesome, thanks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
"See that little girl? She's six and she's playing in a big tournament!"
"Wow! You can't do it when you're one or two or three or four or five though!"
"Well, you have to know how to read."
"I can't read yet, I can do sight words!"
"That's okay, most Magic players can't read that well."
*goes back to watching "Puppy Dog Pals"*

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

lol in what universe is Abrade poo poo?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

suicidesteve posted:

That reminds me, does anyone know of a place to get a good, solid box for my cube? I'm not super in love with hauling a $13k cube around in a broken holiday box (and they're all broken.) I was thinking of trying to find a local carpenter and seeing if they can do something but it would be kind of hard to describe exactly what I want. If there's somewhere I could go online to find them that would be nice.

I know an MTG nerd that makes wooden deckboxes on the side. I can ping him to see if he's up for a cube sized unit

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I'm very skeptical that without anthem effects a card like this is playable, but this artwork is way better than the promo

And the token

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

For 13k I'd seriously just get a pelican case with a solid lock. Preferably fireproof.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Everything about this was absolutely wonderful (except the twitch chat), what did her record end up being?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Did anyone see that Grixis Death's Shadow vs. Affinity match? That might have been the most embarrassing match I have ever seen on camera. I have never felt so bad watching an mtg match, that affinity player either was extremely nervous or has had the stars align for him 5 rounds in a row to get to the point of being 5-0

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Dehtraen posted:

Did anyone see that Grixis Death's Shadow vs. Affinity match? That might have been the most embarrassing match I have ever seen on camera. I have never felt so bad watching an mtg match, that affinity player either was extremely nervous or has had the stars align for him 5 rounds in a row to get to the point of being 5-0

Can confirm. Punted two games in hilariously bad ways. I'd be nervous on camera too, but jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
How are people throwing the game with affinity, isn't it one of the more linear decks outside of burn?