Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Agrikk posted:

admin / admin ?

root / calvin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
admin / TANDBERG

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Calvin was a very close friend of Michael Dell.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CISCO / CISCO

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
admin /

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

This is the literal default username/password for my company's products.
I once found one of our machine's hosted web portals had been indexed by Google, so I tried to login. admin/(blank) let me in as a full administrator, so I poked around for a minute and found I was in a US Consulate location in Europe.
Security is important to us!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I'm admin/password on critical infra

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SeaborneClink posted:

I'm admin/password on public facing critical infra

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
We're not that bad, but if I say "the password's du8" or "the password's mcd" to a frighteningly large number of people in the company, they'll be able to log into the system in question. (As in, I only have to prompt them as to WHICH of the too-well-known passwords that particular system is using, not that the password IS du8.)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know ERP software stuff is only borderline IT, but I'm posting this anyway.

Not pissing me off: We have a user who puts in requests for vendor profiles in our ERP system. Every single one she either says she needs it by noon, end of day, or the next day at noon. It depends on whether it's morning, afternoon, or after 4. Basically she wants everything within 4-5 hours. She has put in 12 tickets in 9 days. I got approval from my manager to treat all of her stuff as normal priority, and if she keeps it up he's going to have a talk with her manager. It's great having a manager with as little patience for that kind of thing as I have.

Yes, I know IT shouldn't be doing that crap. We're in the process of sending it over to finance soon(tm).

Actually pissing me off: There's a guy who has been getting tasks for other people routed to him, which means he has to forward it to them. Which is a pain in the rear end, I totally get it. But we've been working on it, we've got the vendor working on it, and we just don't know what it is yet.

I just found out today that he has forwarded a couple of tasks to me telling me to forward them to the correct people. So now he's passive aggressively making work for me because we haven't fixed his problem quickly enough.

Well, guess which one of us is going to catch any heat from poo poo sitting unattended for two weeks? It's not going to be the guy who doesn't even use the part of the system that shows those tasks.

On the bright side, I'm getting some practice at politely telling people to cut that poo poo out, and my boss doesn't have patience for people doing passive aggressive poo poo either. It's weird, I'm finally learning how to be assertive.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 16, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's what we do where I'm at, if a couple tickets get misrouted it's cool, but if it gets more than that we fire it back to the people responsible for the ticketing system with a note "hey, stop assigning these to us." Routing stuff is their job, why should we be doing it for them?

It certainly gets them to fix the problem quick. :angel:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We're not that bad, but if I say "the password's du8" or "the password's mcd" to a frighteningly large number of people in the company, they'll be able to log into the system in question. (As in, I only have to prompt them as to WHICH of the too-well-known passwords that particular system is using, not that the password IS du8.)

We have a few of those too. Security finally stepped up and got rid of the generic domain passwords we used across hundreds of customers and set up 2fa on most of our public facing stuff, thouh not before we had more than one customer compromised (current thinking afaik is a disgruntled former employee here). But some passwords have not been updated, and everything theoretically inaccessible publically (especially switches) still have 10 year old PWs.

Now the security team is moving so fast they aren't really vetting and properly testing solutions before implementation. We're on our 2nd 2FA platform because the first one they bought doesn't work with half our stuff.

Fun times.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

xzzy posted:

That's what we do where I'm at, if a couple tickets get misrouted it's cool, but if it gets more than that we fire it back to the people responsible for the ticketing system with a note "hey, stop assigning these to us." Routing stuff is their job, why should we be doing it for them?

My direct bosses are awesome with this. I suspect they spend hours on the phone each week shielding us from the dumb in the rest of the company.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Our god damned network team is going to get punched in the communal dick.

Yesterday I had an issue where a user couldn't connect to a government hosted site. As the guy in charge of internet filtering, I took a look and hey, looks like that one's been set up in a special bypass. It uses it's own, government supplied router even! Alright well, I don't have visibility into any of that, off it goes to Network, being that routers are ostensibly network devices, right?

10 minutes later, I have a guy from Network asking me if I've checked the filtering. Yup, checked it, there's a bypass, traffic from this place hits the filtering and goes straight through, even ran a policy trace to confirm.

His next sentence is, verbatim: "I find it highly inappropriate for you to forward your work to me when the issue is clearly on your end".

Oh really. We're doing that, eh chum?

I tried to explain the thought process, but he wasn't having anything to do with it and ended up not only forwarding the ticket back to me, but putting "Risk needs to do their job" in his completion notes. Like hell I'm letting that stand. This isn't the first time either - our Network has made a career of work avoidance. My manager has a file of interactions showing their refusal to do tasks or projects. We even have one member of that team that's blocked our entire team on Lync and Outlook.

Anyway nothing is going to get done and they'll keep collecting paycheques because the network manager has their back and our upper management is a bunch of spineless weenies. Oh well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like every networking department ever.

They all seem to think that as long as the lights on the switches blink and the MRTG graphs don't show spikes their job is done.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

xzzy posted:

Routing isn't our job either. This isn't us assigning them to the wrong team, this is the system going "Okay, A submitted this, B approved, so I'm sending it to X." Then it goes to Y. And we have told Y that we're working with the manufacturer of the software. We're not doing anything wrong in this situation, the program is just messed up.

And I'm not even the one working on it, either.

I'm just going to forward these and proceed to ignore that part of the system again until I get another alert. If he sent me something time sensitive that I didn't get an alert for after I told him not to send them to me, that's​ on his head.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 16, 2017

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm on a conference call for a software demo. In my office, door closed, speakerphone on.

3 loving drop-ins knock and don't leave when they realize I'm on a call, and worse yet, expected me to pause the call to address their loving issue right then and there.

No don't worry, this lady certainly doesn't mind waiting for me to fix your VPN issues that I can't troubleshoot from inside the network. By all means, you're more important.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Streaming video is a solved problem these days. Why the gently caress does my Christie Brio have a ~900ms audio desync.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
So my company currently has a bug up its rear end about getting everyone photos taken to put them in some HR database / system.
Apparently non optional, no optout and we haven't even been told what its being used for.

I was sort of ok with doing it until I overheard that the next step was putting photos and little bios on our desks and around the building. gently caress that.
And who knows what else they will use them for. Internal/external marketing? Have been in that situation before and absolutely despise it.

Tried writing to HR privately to ask about my options here and hinting that I'm uncomfortable with it because of personal issues..next time I'm at work, today (Shift worker) I hear second hand that someone complained to HR and the managers confirmed it was a requirement "for security" at the loving department annual meeting. Meanwhile no reply/comms to myself.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm on a conference call for a software demo. In my office, door closed, speakerphone on.

3 loving drop-ins knock and don't leave when they realize I'm on a call, and worse yet, expected me to pause the call to address their loving issue right then and there.

No don't worry, this lady certainly doesn't mind waiting for me to fix your VPN issues that I can't troubleshoot from inside the network. By all means, you're more important.

Don't you have an MSP? Your job is confusing as gently caress.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Hahaha yes and yes. I'm a manager of nobody, working with an MSP that shares my workload.

The new msp has been in place for 15 days so I'm letting them ramp up slowly before handing them too much and breaking confidence from our users.

E: and to be fair I told vpn lady to call the MSP as soon as she stopped rambling about how it wasn't working and why she needed it working again

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 18, 2017

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Gotcha. You limited on hours or tickets or something? I'd offload all crap work to them, automate everything else, tentatively accept every meeting I was invited too, then get really good at The Witcher 3 or Rocket League in your shoes. I miss being master of none, manager of one. Paid like poo poo but best IT job I ever had.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Oh boy, default passwords. Can we talk about administrator passwords too? Every server we have has the same default password*. Which is bad. But not as bad as that password is also the same as the Domain Administrator password.

Sometimes I just don't know what it is our "security team" really does. And my boss has an...adversarial (competitive, maybe) relationship with the security team boss, so if I point it out to him (my boss; and it's not like he doesn't know about it already, he's the one who set it up like that) he'd just say something like "oh well let them figure it out, hope we don't get hacked!"

Although pretty much everyone else there seems to think that if an attacker gets past a firewall and into our network, it doesn't matter what else we have done security-wise.

*we bought/are soon buying "Password Manager Pro" to change local admin passwords, at least. My boss didn't want to use LAPS because...I'm not sure why he didn't like it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

milk milk lemonade posted:

Gotcha. You limited on hours or tickets or something? I'd offload all crap work to them, automate everything else, tentatively accept every meeting I was invited too, then get really good at The Witcher 3 or Rocket League in your shoes. I miss being master of none, manager of one. Paid like poo poo but best IT job I ever had.

The last MSP was lazy as poo poo and people hated dealing with them. They wanted to do the automation and not talk to staff, so I had to do all the footwork until they were replaced. Now the momentum is swinging so the MSP deals with people and I run internal projects but it's taking some time for people to adopt the new method.

Shits gonna get really loving cushy soon. Pay is awesome, benefits would make clam down blush, and some days I'm not in the office for more than 4 hours.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

fist4jesus posted:

So my company currently has a bug up its rear end about getting everyone photos taken to put them in some HR database / system.
Apparently non optional, no optout and we haven't even been told what its being used for.

I was sort of ok with doing it until I overheard that the next step was putting photos and little bios on our desks and around the building. gently caress that.
And who knows what else they will use them for. Internal/external marketing? Have been in that situation before and absolutely despise it.

Tried writing to HR privately to ask about my options here and hinting that I'm uncomfortable with it because of personal issues..next time I'm at work, today (Shift worker) I hear second hand that someone complained to HR and the managers confirmed it was a requirement "for security" at the loving department annual meeting. Meanwhile no reply/comms to myself.

I took a tour of a company where everyone had a huge cutout of their face at the top of their desk. The person leading the tour said that it helped associate a name to a face, especially with people you don't work with normally.

The thought of having my creepy mug staring at me for 8 hours each day was a factor in my decision to not put in an application.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
My place of work has photos for all employees which can be viewed trivially. It's really nice to be able to put faces to names, especially after the fact where I'll remember faces far more than I'll remember names and when looking at an email I have to go "who is this person again? <looks up info> Oh yeah..."

Then again, everyone's face is on their badge, which I think is kind of an industry standard, and no one's faces are printed on their desks, so it's not like we're just doing it be creepy.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Actuarial Fables posted:

I took a tour of a company where everyone had a huge cutout of their face at the top of their desk. The person leading the tour said that it helped associate a name to a face, especially with people you don't work with normally.

The thought of having my creepy mug staring at me for 8 hours each day was a factor in my decision to not put in an application.

Yes for ID or even for a *INTERNAL* database/orgchart, I'm fine with. Thats legit and normal.

Volmarias posted:

My place of work has photos for all employees which can be viewed trivially. It's really nice to be able to put faces to names, especially after the fact where I'll remember faces far more than I'll remember names and when looking at an email I have to go "who is this person again? <looks up info> Oh yeah..."

Then again, everyone's face is on their badge, which I think is kind of an industry standard, and no one's faces are printed on their desks, so it's not like we're just doing it be creepy.

Yeah site security and access I have no issue with. I have a drivers licence and so on. That said, in the 10 years I've been here they never bothered to do photo swipe cards.
This poo poo is primary for their orgchart/hr database + whatever wank they come up with to distract from not bothering to train or spend any time/money on the actual staff. Like A4 bios on loving desks.

I bet some month breather will want photos in signatures or to showcase our onshore team to customers/the public at some point. They wont state or limit what its to be used for.

The last time (different company) I relented, I came to work to find my photo up on the entrance to our floor. I kept ripping it down and they would put it back up. Yeah yeah very funny but some people loving hate photos.
I have my whole life, I shouldn't need to justify why. I wonder what will happen tomorrow if I say I've been funny about the topic after being raped a bunch as a kid or if I should mention the time we got hacked and a fuckload of staff and customer data was released, its not like I don't have reasons.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

fist4jesus posted:

Yes for ID or even for a *INTERNAL* database/orgchart, I'm fine with. Thats legit and normal.

Yeah site security and access I have no issue with. I have a drivers licence and so on. That said, in the 10 years I've been here they never bothered to do photo swipe cards.
This poo poo is primary for their orgchart/hr database + whatever wank they come up with to distract from not bothering to train or spend any time/money on the actual staff. Like A4 bios on loving desks.

I bet some month breather will want photos in signatures or to showcase our onshore team to customers/the public at some point. They wont state or limit what its to be used for.

The last time (different company) I relented, I came to work to find my photo up on the entrance to our floor. I kept ripping it down and they would put it back up. Yeah yeah very funny but some people loving hate photos.
I have my whole life, I shouldn't need to justify why. I wonder what will happen tomorrow if I say I've been funny about the topic after being raped a bunch as a kid or if I should mention the time we got hacked and a fuckload of staff and customer data was released, its not like I don't have reasons.

Yeah, I have no interest in my mug being used by the company for anything more than security purposes. Though to be fair, I don't know why they would want to either. I'd be quite unhappy about it - probably even more than the annual raises they just pushed back three months.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

xzzy posted:

Sounds like every networking department ever.

They all seem to think that as long as the lights on the switches blink and the MRTG graphs don't show spikes their job is done.

I am a network guy and we push back on a lot of stuff because our helpdesk so consistently blames us for things that have nothing to do with us. They are required by policy now to send someone to the site first to do basic troubleshooting, no matter how much it "sounds like" a network problem, because there are a jillion of them and only a few of us. They still don't do it most of the time, we end up going because if we wait for them who knows how long it'll be before the problem gets fixed. Almost invariably it turns out to be an unplugged or failed patch cable at the computer (which is defined as their issue, not ours) or a device issue or an irrelevant problem entirely different from the description they gave us. Additionally, if it's a minor desktop support issue and we fix it while there so that the user can get back to work, they sometimes get mad that we are infringing on their territory.

It's not always true, of course, but most of the time when there's an actual networking issue, we know about it before there's a complaint. If they ask us to go without sending anyone I'll take a look at the gear and make sure there's nothing obviously wrong, but after driving a good distance in heavy traffic a million times to plug in a patch cable, I'm a little tired of it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

guppy posted:

I am a network guy and we push back on a lot of stuff because our helpdesk so consistently blames us for things that have nothing to do with us. They are required by policy now to send someone to the site first to do basic troubleshooting, no matter how much it "sounds like" a network problem, because there are a jillion of them and only a few of us. They still don't do it most of the time, we end up going because if we wait for them who knows how long it'll be before the problem gets fixed. Almost invariably it turns out to be an unplugged or failed patch cable at the computer (which is defined as their issue, not ours) or a device issue or an irrelevant problem entirely different from the description they gave us. Additionally, if it's a minor desktop support issue and we fix it while there so that the user can get back to work, they sometimes get mad that we are infringing on their territory.

It's not always true, of course, but most of the time when there's an actual networking issue, we know about it before there's a complaint. If they ask us to go without sending anyone I'll take a look at the gear and make sure there's nothing obviously wrong, but after driving a good distance in heavy traffic a million times to plug in a patch cable, I'm a little tired of it.

See about whether you can charge against their cost center, at consultant rates, when it ends up being a layer 8 problem

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Volmarias posted:

I do hardware repair on a campus of, oh 15,000 people of whom at least 6,000 are in open space environments. If it weren't for profile pictures I'd have a damned hard time finding a good portion of my customers. Open spaces can really suck, so fortunately the company is going spending top dollars on having lots of little breakout rooms and first-class setups with dual DisplayLink displays. Well, top dollar on everything except cabling. We get 2-3 calls a week that are "right-hand monitor not working", and it's time to run a new USB3 cable between the two displays. There are also a surprising amount of calls for Mac users where we have to replace one of the mini Display Port cables because it's worn down and loose.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fist4jesus posted:

Should have just printed out some random guy from a stock photo library to replace it with. People noticed it was gone, but would not notice if it changed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Make it a picture of Kirk Johnson.

Fake edit: Not that picture

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I imagine it'll play out today. However i'm not
"All, those whom have not had their photo taken as requested with interview attire (business or dress shirt with collar), please organise to do so this week if you are in."
as required.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I really should be more careful on conference calls.

In my defense, if the phone is muted, I pick up call #2, end call #2, I don't think it's unreasonable for the phone to remember MUTE_STATE when I return to call #1. :argh:

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 19, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
One of our divisions had a big thing about everyone getting a photo of theirs up in the intranet for some reason. Most people just did a quick cell phone picture in the hall, or got one from home. But a few people were so amazing that they managed to derail this from going company wide. One person used a photo from one of those old west style places. A few others got theirs done high-school yearbook style, so all their photos are them standing in the woods, or looking off into the distance.
Corporate was now worried what would happen if this escalated and put a stop to it before someone did a Borat nutsling.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's beautiful

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
This is the correct intranet profile picture to use

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Either that or may someone photoshop you into one of those napoleonic war era paitnings a-la .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Either that or may someone photoshop you into one of those napoleonic war era paitnings a-la .

Nah, just use that one unaltered and tell everyone it's a tribute.