Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, lets make the one Superhero that's actual blood relatives with the Greek Pantheon be the one that converts to Catholicism...genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

Oh and Superman leaves behind a bucket of Supersperm to repopulate the world, with no heed given to the fact that it means everyone is going to be half brothers and half sisters.

If it's the only way...
It's just like any other creation myth that has us all descended from two people.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The filthy origins of Bizarro World revealed at last.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

I..wha? How is she swinging it like that? Shouldn't the gun be knocked the other way? Isn't that mace going to just swing around and hit her in the back?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

He's also almost as physically strong as Superman on dry land, and possibly even stronger when in the water. No one ever remembers that.

Isn't that true of like half the JLA. Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, they're all "almost as strong as Superman".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't that true of like half the JLA. Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, they're all "almost as strong as Superman".

Good thing we're talking about strength then because that "almost" is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dareon posted:

On the plus side, Aquaman got a power boost. Or is "Ha ha, talking to fish is literally the worst power" not actually applicable anymore? I admit I don't know anything about Aquaman since he grew the beard.

From the JLU series his superpower is being metal as gently caress.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Bruceski posted:

From the JLU series his superpower is being metal as gently caress.

"King of the sea, remember?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
PAD's Aquaman is metal as gently caress and I still love that era and thank god DC is finally printing collected editions.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

He's also almost as physically strong as Superman on dry land, and possibly even stronger when in the water. No one ever remembers that.

Aquaman can lift cars or boats. Superman can crack planets in half. He's a magnitude stronger than Aquaman. Ww and Mm are in the same ballpark as Supes though.

Also the best aquaman is clearly the BatB one, and I'm happy that Snyder seems to include some of that levity in the JL movie character. Fingers crossed Whedon doesnt muck it up!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

McCloud posted:

Also the best aquaman is clearly the BatB one, and I'm happy that Snyder seems to include some of that levity in the JL movie character. Fingers crossed Whedon doesnt muck it up!

Yes, Whedon is known for mucking up Snyder's lightheartedness.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

"Those contests were for charity, Jonn."

E: In All-Star, Superman presses five quintillion tons with one arm. Now, all comic book numbers are bullshit, but it's a nice round number for helping to remember the scales involved. For any other very strong character, just ask yourself, how many quintillion tons can they lift one-handed?

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 17, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Injustice.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Arthur has one panel at the beginning saying "I can't contact Atlantis", then they're never mentioned again. For all we know they're all dead.

Probably "Breathing Underwater" turned out to be a superpower which is bad news when you live at the bottom of the ocean.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Women just doing something a man already did and claiming credit for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

"Those contests were for charity, Jonn."

E: In All-Star, Superman presses five quintillion tons with one arm. Now, all comic book numbers are bullshit, but it's a nice round number for helping to remember the scales involved. For any other very strong character, just ask yourself, how many quintillion tons can they lift one-handed?

That's an extremely poor example because All-Star Superman is a story about Superman getting so overcharged it is killing him but also allows him to do things he never could be before

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

ImpAtom posted:

That's an extremely poor example because All-Star Superman is a story about Superman getting so overcharged it is killing him but also allows him to do things he never could be before

On the other hand if you assume New 52 Superman and New Old Superman have roughly the same strength, this happened.

Though, again, that's the dead one.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SomeMathGuy posted:

On the other hand if you assume New 52 Superman and New Old Superman have roughly the same strength, this happened.

That's an unconventional bench-press position.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SomeMathGuy posted:

He got better then merged with the New Old Superman because they were actually the same person, or something. It was Mxyzptlk (which was apparently in Chrome's dictionary) fault.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Skwirl posted:

He got better then merged with the New Old Superman because they were actually the same person, or something. It was Mxyzptlk (which was apparently in Chrome's dictionary) fault.

Man, I should've stuck with that book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

Man, I should've stuck with that book.

I don't actually read the book, I only know about it because a lot of people who did were bitching about it in the DC thread when it happened.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

How many times can you NOT MY SUPERMAN in a decade?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

How many times can you NOT MY SUPERMAN in a decade?

I dunno, how many times can they revamp Superman in a decade?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ok get this guys, this version of Superman has no powers, but he has guns. And instead of tights he wears an all-black armor. And his catchphrase is "I love neoliberalism and the cops!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Ok get this guys, this version of Superman has no powers, but he has guns. And instead of tights he wears an all-black armor. And his catchphrase is "I love neoliberalism and the cops!"

Isn't that how Superman comes back in Return of Superman, you know, the comic where a cyborg, Black Iron Man with the totally not on nose name John Henry Irons, his teenage clone and rear end in a top hat Superman with hand lasers and sunglasses were arguing about who's the real Superman. Also Coast City dies and then Hal Jordan is a villain for a half a decade.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not sure I could come up with a version of Superman that doesn't exist somewhere.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not sure I could come up with a version of Superman that doesn't exist somewhere.

One Zack Snyder can make a good movie with

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Rhonne posted:

I..wha? How is she swinging it like that? Shouldn't the gun be knocked the other way? Isn't that mace going to just swing around and hit her in the back?

Well judging from her pose, her back is already broken so maybe that's what happened.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Skwirl posted:

Women just doing something a man already did and claiming credit for it.

Yeah, but she's doing it in heels.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Skwirl posted:

the totally not on nose name John Henry Irons

I kind of assumed he had been named after the folk hero. In-universe, I mean. And that's why he started using a hammer?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doom Mathematic posted:

I kind of assumed he had been named after the folk hero. In-universe, I mean. And that's why he started using a hammer?

That's the New Frontier version.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

Is there anything special about the Martian Manhunter when compared to other Martians, other than not being dead? Is he just another Martian, or is he particularly good at Martianing?

Yeah:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Good for him. :)

Also, it still feels good to see Superboy Prime get punched. What an rear end in a top hat.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, lets make the one Superhero that's actual blood relatives with the Greek Pantheon be the one that converts to Catholicism...genius.

Guest writer: John C. Wright.

(edit after checking Wikipedia: No, really, Moench wrote this poo poo? How the mighty have fallen.)

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Doom Mathematic posted:

He was. His first appearance starts with him telling the story of John Henry to some neighbourhood kids.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm pretty sure Martian Manhunter is explained to be one of the most adept at his Martian abilities. Even before everyone else died. Where other people used conscious thought and discipline to perfectly alter their biomass and do stuff, he could just innately do it on the fly, no time spent on calculating it all.

It's kinda like how most people have the ability in their brain to do complex mathematics, but need to use paper and pen to keep it all straight. Meanwhile some people can mentally do calculus problems without a problem.

And at least in the young justice cartoon, he explains that Miss Martian, while not nearly as adept at the physical aspects of her powers, was the strongest psionic of any Martian he had ever met, including himself.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There's an evil Martian Manhunter though, so obviously he can't be all that unique.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well, in that sense you could probably just say that he's kind of like the Batman of the Martians - he's not actually superhuman (or I guess, supermartian) but he's operating at the top level of his species capability in more than one category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If you need proof that J'onn rules, New Frontier and the JLI series are your jam. Or JLU.