Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Just been slowly focusing on improving my cornering technique on my new SV650 and have had some excellent rides over the past few days where everything felt good and well executed without any bad moments. 2000 miles now after a month!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Undid the PO's wiring hackjob for the stupid buell headlights on my recently acquired SV. Made a bracket and mounted the new lights on the triples, have to decide on a shroud. Tires, brake lines, pads, and the rest of the pile of parts should show up this week.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Dear PO, that's not how those work.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol: worth a good chuckle.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Supradog posted:

Dear PO, that's not how those work.

HAHA well they tried at least. I've bought bikes with no rubbers at all and bikes with the cush drive rubbers in a bag under the seat.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

HAHA well they tried at least.
That's what I was gonna say. They came admirably close to giving a poo poo.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Installed a different RAM mount for my phone (the X grip mounted to the bar clamp positioned the phone too low to see effectively for GPS use), ran another USB charging outlet since this mount didn't have one built in, swapped the rear turn signals for the European LED units, and chased down an intermittent dead front signal that I'm pretty sure isn't really fixed but seems to be working now.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Did a bunch of wiring repair on the SV and spooned on the Pilot Road 4's cause I got em from UPS too late to go into town. Gotta do fork seals tomorrow and find someone to charge the Penske in the back on Monday.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

~kustom graphix~

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Jazzzzz posted:

chased down an intermittent dead front signal that I'm pretty sure isn't really fixed but seems to be working now.

Check the terminal pins in the plugs, one of them might have backed out.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

~kustom graphix~

That puts the sharpie shark teeth on my XR200 to shame.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yerok posted:

That puts the sharpie shark teeth on my XR200 to shame.

Thank you. It's "stand back and squint" quality, but it's a 26-year-old tractor of a bike so appropriate.

Also recovered the seat.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

That is an admirable seat-recovering job. So much so that it takes away from the 26-year-old tractor look...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slide Hammer posted:

That is an admirable seat-recovering job. So much so that it takes away from the 26-year-old tractor look...

Thank you kindly. It's actually not especially difficult until you get to that last little wrinkle that you have to chase around for a while, which is always near the front in the deepest part of the seat. It's the second one I've done, and both of them required pulling out almost every staple at least once through the stretching process. Elmer's spray adhesive and a good hot hair dryer are key.

tjones
May 13, 2005
For the past few weeks, I've been sorting out a buzzing/wheezing/sometimes ticking/odd vibration that seems to only happen with the engine hot and starting at the lower rpm range of the torque range. Checked cam chain tension, dropped oil and filter, all looked good. I found a few out of spec header flange nuts that needed torqued back down. Bingo, easy fix.

I thought that had fixed the issue but again today the buzzing happened along with the vibration. Thinking it was probably turning into a valve issue, I went to pull the air filter to check around the air box and found two of the intake funnels had come unattached from their rail clips and were free to move about. Another easy fix. Hopefully everything is all good now...

I was reinstalling my steering damper after putting the tank back on and I found the underside of the damper coated in oil. Looks like I'm rebuilding that as soon as I can get some o-rings ordered.

I've got a Deals Gap trip planned in a few weeks and I hope everything will stay together until after I get back. I'm tired of wrenching and just want to ride for a while.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My Tuono started vibrating like crazy and felt way down on power on my last ride - I picked up new plugs and an air filter - hopefully that's the issue since I'm about 3k overdue for plugs.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
Adjusted the chain tension on my Grom with 800 miles on it. It was very slack, but even setting it to the 30mm spec seemed a little loose. Also cleaned and lubricated the chain while I was down there.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Cleaned my chain because it was goddamn filthy!

Also noticed that my clutch cable has developed a tiny fray, so I went ahead and ordered two new cables so I can zip em both together when I install the new one.... as well as new brake fluid, pads, and all the stuff I need for my first sparkplug clean and gap. It's gonna be a fun weekend.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Installed shorty levers this morning after work, and bar end sliders last week. Still need to sort the electrical, but I'm not riding at night anytime soon, so the day lights are good.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

PathAsc posted:

Installed shorty levers this morning

Sorry to hear you crashed.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Chichevache posted:

Sorry to hear you crashed.

I want to say I appreciate this post.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
Finally got my spokes in from Buchannan's so I'm breaking my wheels down to get ready to relace them and then I'll take them to a shop to get trued up. 3 months isn't too long to get all the poo poo together to do a sumo conversion....... right?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Label Facing Right posted:

Finally got my spokes in from Buchannan's so I'm breaking my wheels down to get ready to relace them and then I'll take them to a shop to get trued up. 3 months isn't too long to get all the poo poo together to do a sumo conversion....... right?

Was that on your part or Buchannan's part? I want to sumo my CRF250R, mainly because Wisconsin can gently caress off with their lovely attitude towards dirtbikes, but there are a handful of kart tracks. Slim Picken's 450 isn't helping either. Anyway, it seems like Buchannan is the only place I can really find to get 17" rims and spokes from, so I'm trying to find some feedback on them.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

T-Square posted:

Was that on your part or Buchannan's part? I want to sumo my CRF250R, mainly because Wisconsin can gently caress off with their lovely attitude towards dirtbikes, but there are a handful of kart tracks. Slim Picken's 450 isn't helping either. Anyway, it seems like Buchannan is the only place I can really find to get 17" rims and spokes from, so I'm trying to find some feedback on them.

Oh it was absolutely on my end. I tend to take my sweet time with things, plus the fact that it's perfect riding weather in GA right now I didn't want to have my biek down to do the swap.

I couldn't recommend Buchannan's enough though. Everything looks top notch so far. I put in the order last Friday afternoon and they showed up yesterday. When you place the order they'll probably call you pretty soon after to confirm measurements and whatnot so just be prepared for that, I definitely wasn't and had to call them back.

edit: forgot to add that after calling around getting quotes to build the wheels and whatnot I decided to just buy a trueing stand and spoke torque wrench and do it myself. gently caress paying $500+ for that.

Hooray Dialysis fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 1, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Make sure to get a dial indicator too.

Building wheels can be kind of a zen task, but if it's the first time you've done it, expect to take like three times as long as you think.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Building wheels can be kind of a zen task, but if it's the first time you've done it, expect to take like three times as long as you think.

Dial indicator, huh? Broom bristle taped to the desk not fancy enough?

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I was debating on getting one from Harbor Freight this weekend. I got the tusk trueing stand that has the pointers but I'll be honest and admit that I just don't know if those would be enough or if I would need a runout gauge.

And I completely am expecting it to take at least half a day to do myself, but I don't think it will be too horrible.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

T-Square posted:

https://www.motoxindustries.com/supermoto-conversion-kit

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Clutch cable snapped on the way home yesterday.
Replaced it today. The PO had left me a new Honda cable in a bag labelled "clutch."

I get to the bike, get the old cable out, open the bag, and the cables don't match. Wrong size, fittings, and length. It was a throttle cable.

I used my emergency cable repair kit and rethreaded the old jacket with new cable. It'll last.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
ProTip- Clutch cables are cheap. Buy two now, install them both at the same time, and tuck the ends of the spare away. When the next one snaps, all you need is a leatherman and 5 minutes by the side of the road to be on your way. :D

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Edit: I'm a tired idiot, never mind me.

Do hydraulic clutchs fail at all?

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 1, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Schroeder91 posted:

Edit: I'm a tired idiot, never mind me.

Do hydraulic clutchs fail at all?

Sure, why wouldn't they?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
They sure do. I crashed hard in the woods awhile back and knocked a bark buster into my hydraulic clutch line rendering it totally useless. Was able to ride out but it kinda sucked.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I mean in the way a clutch cable snaps. Not from an accident.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Schroeder91 posted:

I mean in the way a clutch cable snaps. Not from an accident.

The seals can go bad in the master cylinder or clutch cylinder. I've seen it happen.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
They're not prone to the same kind of failures as a clutch cable because it's a hydraulic system more akin to your brakes. The hydraulic clutch failures I've read about (never seen) usually involve the clutch slave crapping out somehow, not issues with the master cylinder or a line.

edit: spelling

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 1, 2017

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

wallaka posted:

The seals can go bad in the master cylinder or clutch cylinder. I've seen it happen.
I had the hydraulic clutch on my 98 Ducati lock up solid over the course of a mile or two once. Turned out it was a piece of rubber or rust from the inside of the lines that got caught somewhere and just prevented fluid flow.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's usually the slave cylinders that fail as they're exposed to much more gunk. They usually dont catastrophically fail however, mostly they start to slowly leak.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Got some new front rubber!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Half way to a snowmobile conversion!