Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Photex posted:

My HDHomeRun was automatically detected and worked right out of the box with Emby?

I'm probably thinking of Kodi's terrible PVR setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I tried Emby and Plex. Emby sucks, sorry my man.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't figure out why Emby exists other than for the Richard Stallmans of the world.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HD Homerun Connect on sale for $80 at Overstock today
https://www.overstock.com/Electronics/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-CONNECT/14542799/product.html

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Using this with Google's Live Channels app is really nice.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Can you guys explain what Plex does over Emby? Does Plex has a WebUI that I can go to on any mobile app for free, no fee required? Can I get Live TV from Plex with no fee required?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Client devices actually support Plex. Also

Endless Mike posted:

I can't figure out why Emby exists other than for the Richard Stallmans of the world.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 1, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Photex posted:

Does Plex has a WebUI that I can go to on any mobile app for free, no fee required?

The Plex app, if you don't have a Plex Pass sub, is only like $5 to unlock when its not on sale or if it's free (has happened on occasion in the Amazon app store). Five whole dollars. Small price to pay to support the team of devs who've made such a great application imo.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Pretty sure streaming is free on every platform EXCEPT iOS, which costs $5 (or a linked Plex Pass account).

Why only iOS you ask? Uhhh... reasons... that might involve massive in-app-purchase profits.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

pzy posted:

Pretty sure streaming is free on every platform EXCEPT iOS, which costs $5 (or a linked Plex Pass account).

Why only iOS you ask? Uhhh... reasons... that might involve massive in-app-purchase profits.

Right. If you aren't a Plex Pass sub, the mobile apps for Android and iOS require a $5 to activate/unlock the app. Those are the only Plex apps that incur any kind of fee. The Plex app on tvOS, Roku, Fire TV, Android TV, Playstation, Xbox, and various smart TVs are all free to use with your Plex Media Server.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

$5 is like half the cost of just one of the pirated movies you have "backed up" on your Plex server

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Does Android cost $5 too? I thought that was free, and iOS was literally the only platform you had to pay to unlock streaming on.

That said... I pay for Plex Pass because it's goddamn amazing

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

pzy posted:

Does Android cost $5 too? I thought that was free, and iOS was literally the only platform you had to pay to unlock streaming on.

Nope, the Plex app for Android based phones and tablets has the $5 unlock fee if you're not a sub. Though it's gone on sale for $1 in the past, and has been free in the Amazon app store from time to time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Plus Google Opinion Rewards makes those rare times you need GoogleBucks pretty painless

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Plus Google Opinion Rewards makes those rare times you need GoogleBucks pretty painless

Forgot about that app! Just checked it and I still have $8 play credit, haha. Made ~$40 lifetime from those surveys.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

teagone posted:

Forgot about that app! Just checked it and I still have $8 play credit, haha. Made ~$40 lifetime from those surveys.

Only $40? I'm at $130 and even a guy at work whom I introduced to it a year ago is at $55 now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Well I finally broke down and got an Apple TV.

I'm going to feel real stupid if that Amazon app turns out to be vapor ware.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Only $40? I'm at $130 and even a guy at work whom I introduced to it a year ago is at $55 now.

Yeah, looking at my history I started it about a year ago too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Amazon Video for Apple TV just announced. It's official.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Later this year though. Wouldn't surprise me if it'll launch concurrently with a new 4K-capable AppleTV.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
:siren: DirecTV Now app has hit Roku, and it's loving awesome. :siren:

It's kind of hilarious how much better it is than the Fire TV one. The On Demand streaming works perfectly without a hitch.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
DTVNow just sent me an email with a promo code supposedly good for a free month (code good until the end of June). So maybe check your email if you've cancelled and want free stuff.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

DTVNow just sent me an email with a promo code supposedly good for a free month (code good until the end of June). So maybe check your email if you've cancelled and want free stuff.

Same here. Sure, I'll try it again for free.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Looks like if you let the promo plan lapse (stopped mine in March) you don't get the $35/rate again for Go Big. I got a restart code too but no thanks. poo poo deal.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ixian posted:

Looks like if you let the promo plan lapse (stopped mine in March) you don't get the $35/rate again for Go Big. I got a restart code too but no thanks. poo poo deal.

I'm not sure why you thought that would work any differently than it did.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm not sure why you thought that would work any differently than it did.

I didn't. I'm not suggesting they are trying to screw me, just pointing out that if they are trying to get back a lot of early subscribers who cancelled because it was so lovely this is a dumb way to do it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is from awhile back but Roku makes alot of their money by selling user information. They can already track everything you watch within an app (with no way to opt out) and are rolling out fun stuff like ACR on their smart TVs where they can analyse (and sell) every facet of your TV viewing experience (including OTA use, cable box use and any device you plug into HDMI)

Roku's CEO posted:

Because, for us, hardware is not a business, it’s a way to acquire active accounts. Our business is advertising and content distribution services.

A big part of the advertising platform is tracking what users are watching to compile and analyze that data for targeted ads and content recommendations.

It’s super important. The future of TV—both with content distribution and advertising—is based on data and machine learning. And it’s a huge competitive advantage to be good at that.

I just want to clarify that the ACR [Automatic Content Recognition] program is opt-in for our customers. We don’t just force it on them, although it has a very high opt-in rate because we have some very cool features that they get access to that are powered by that data. One of those features is called "More Ways to Watch." If you opt in to the ACR data feed—let’s say you’re watching The Big Bang Theory on CBS—it will pop up with an overlay and say "Hey, you’re watching The Big Bang Theory, do you want to watch it from the beginning?" Because it’s available on CBS All Access and also you can watch all of the back episodes, so it gives them more ways to watch that TV show. There are lots of privacy issues around data that we have to be careful about, but it really delivers a much better end-user experience.

http://fortune.com/2017/05/27/roku-ceo-anthony-wood-streaming/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 9, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That's rad as hell.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

They are just overthinking the gently caress out of TV

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm about to give OTA a try again after 4, maybe 5 years? I live in small studio apartment downtown (97209), so anything exterior or huge is out.

Last time I tried with the Mohu Leaf which gave me poo poo for channels. Maybe it was because of the building interference or 'older' tech, who knows. Anyways, new apartment, same area and most locators for my zip seem to indicate strong signal strength. Recommendations?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Forgive me if this is well trodden territory around here, but the OP is five years old. I'm going to be cancelling cable soon, and I plan on going either Sling TV or Playstation Vue. I have a 4th Generation Apple TV, so that's fine. Is the new Sling TV Cloud DVR legit? The only thing that had me leaning Vue was the DVR. Otherwise, the channel break down on Sling appeal to the wife and I a bit more than Vue, and the slight price difference for the group of channels we want isn't that big of a deal.

Any other considerations I should make choosing between the two?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Any other considerations I should make choosing between the two?

Simultaneous streams. If you want to watch one thing on a tablet/computer/2nd TV and she wants to watch another, you're poo poo out of luck with the Orange Channels for Sling.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

flosofl posted:

Simultaneous streams. If you want to watch one thing on a tablet/computer/2nd TV and she wants to watch another, you're poo poo out of luck with the Orange Channels for Sling.

Ah, well the package I was planning on is Sling Blue, which, as I now see, allows up to 3 simultaneous streams, which should be fine. But thanks, I hadn't checked that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DirecTV Now is actually pretty good now and the picture quality is excellent. Not sure if you're considering that.

They're now doing a free Roku Premier w/ 2 month service too.
https://www.directvnow.com/rokunow

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

FCKGW posted:

DirecTV Now is actually pretty good now and the picture quality is excellent. Not sure if you're considering that.

They're now doing a free Roku Premier w/ 2 month service too.
https://www.directvnow.com/rokunow

The main thing that kept that off my radar is the lack of a DVR. Is that still the case? I know Sling just came out with one.

And I'm going to be putting it on my Apple TV, whatever I choose. I'm pretty far into the Apple ecosystem at this point.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

The main thing that kept that off my radar is the lack of a DVR. Is that still the case? I know Sling just came out with one.

And I'm going to be putting it on my Apple TV, whatever I choose. I'm pretty far into the Apple ecosystem at this point.

Yeah, DVR is still missing at this point. 72hr rewind has expanded to more channels and app logins have grown to over 50 now, but still missing DVR.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Free Epix Trial until 12/31/17:

https://www.epix.com/freetrial/FYC17

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, DVR is still missing at this point. 72hr rewind has expanded to more channels and app logins have grown to over 50 now, but still missing DVR.

Is there a list of what channels have the rewind and which apps have logins ?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Jose Oquendo posted:

Not sure about rewind, but here's a handy comparison of app logins for the different streaming services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

list of rewind enabled channels