Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Thanks Kyro!

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Haha, two of the players simultaneously fighting a Mecha Head and actual Omega :allears:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Did something happen to the guy who is so far behind the others, or did they just do more pre-run prep / start earlier?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Is it over yet

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Since the race is nearing its end, what emulator should I use if I want to use the fiesta patch and the music restoration patch?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
And elmagus finishes with a significant lead on the others. One isn't even in the rift yet.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
eLmaGus finished! 9:50:50!

Yagamoth is at Necrophobe, puwexil on Island Shrine.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Ha! Yagamoth got the dragon whisker steal off Shinryu. Apparently he also got it during his practice run.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Lurdiak posted:

Since the race is nearing its end, what emulator should I use if I want to use the fiesta patch and the music restoration patch?

Anything using the mGBA core. VBA has some issues with the sound restoration patch.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Did something happen to the guy who is so far behind the others, or did they just do more pre-run prep / start earlier?

Puwexil got trolled pretty hard in his run. Off the top of my head, there were costly deaths against Liquid Flame (given the strats used he can just kill you and there's nothing you can do about it) and world 2 Exdeath. I think to a certain extent Yaga and magus were better-practiced. Puwexil has a day job as opposed to streaming almost every day, whereas iirc the other two both did full practice runs earlier this week, in addition to lengthy routing sessions.

e: I can't believe Yaga stabilized after entering neo exdeath with 1 living nonberserked character!

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 18, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Aerdan posted:

Anything using the mGBA core. VBA has some issues with the sound restoration patch.

My version of VBA-M has no problems with it; I think it's just the main branch.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I've been using the standard VBA emulator for three years now and never had a problem with the sound patch. What's the exact issue?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man I was hoping to start this tonight but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Calling all Captains Courageous! :siren:

I will if I get a Knight, for sure.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Cool, I learned something new

quote:

In happier unrelated glitch news: status immunities conferred by equipment last for an extra encounter! Here's a little demo.

If a character ends a fight (whether you win it or run away) wearing equipment that grants a status immunity, they retain that immunity in the next fight they enter, regardless of intervening equipment or job changes (including if the relevant equipment is replaced with something that grants a different immunity - they both retain the old immunity and gain the new one). The same is not true of elemental resistances (or weaknesses), nor of status immunity buffs from Chemist mixes.

(Also, a similar thing seems to occur on a smaller scale: if you equip something during a fight (e.g. the aegis shield), then on a subsequent turn remove it, you retain its status immunities for the duration of that fight. This is especially surprising considering the glitch where even unrelated elemental buffs are removed when you change equipment in combat.)

Cool as it is to be able to get bone mail's half-dozen immunities without its drawbacks, offhand I sadly can't think of any applications to any%. It could at least make for some more flexible setups for White Hole immunity when not berserking final Exdeath (all bosses, marathons with Neo Exdeath incentives).

This happened in Yaga's run, when he inadvertently activated the glitch and then couldn't berserk Lenna when fighting Omega.

e: From voice chat, Jenja didn't have the lamp set up for Neo Exdeath, oops.
e2: Actually maybe he had it set to Leviathan and thought that was Syldra? Listening to them trying to piece things together over voice chat is pretty funny.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 18, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't tell if the patch is working or not. :sweatdrop: Maybe I expected too much from it?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Wow, it's amazing how much people are discovering, even now.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Kinda late, but another Basch ready to roll.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is Basch the donation name this year?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aerdan posted:

And here's the combined Fiesta + Sound Restoration patch. If an IPS patch is preferable, let me know.

I would like an IPS patch for this, please.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Kashuno posted:

Is Basch the donation name this year?

One of 'em.

You may also go with "a butt" if you wish.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

FreeKillB posted:

This happened in Yaga's run, when he inadvertently activated the glitch and then couldn't berserk Lenna when fighting Omega.

Yeah, I've been tinkering with this since I saw Yagamoth's berserk get stuffed and had to figure out how it happened. It's a lot more applicable to Fiestas considering that applies to stuff like the Ribbon, though it's edge-case-y as gently caress. Still fun to (re)discover something obscure!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Full ailment immunity Dancer, wearing the tiara, proper armor, and Hermes sandals dancing the boss away.

Not sure how often that'd be useful, but :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I would like an IPS patch for this, please.

Actually never mind, I figured it out!

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!

FreeKillB posted:

e2: Actually maybe he had it set to Leviathan and thought that was Syldra? Listening to them trying to piece things together over voice chat is pretty funny.

So if I'm reading this right, that means that you can pass the Aegis shield around during battle and retain its status immunities for the rest of the battle? That would make White Hole a lot less threatening if you have a good amount of people who can use shields.

Dwall
Jun 14, 2016

FreeKillB posted:

This was the first time I've heard of this. I dug up my old GBA to see if this would work on a cart (to rule out emulator bugs), and sure enough, it works. It probably got fixed for the mobile/Steam version, though.

BrightWing posted:

Full ailment immunity Dancer, wearing the tiara, proper armor, and Hermes sandals dancing the boss away.

Not sure how often that'd be useful, but :v:

It would be nice for any fiesta party that gets Dancer, considering it could give the benefits of Equip Ribbons, but allow you to use another ability instead.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Ablative posted:

One of 'em.

You may also go with "a butt" if you wish.
I'm gonna do one run as A Butt and one run as Basch and then stop because previous Fiestas have shown me two is basically my limit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If anyone's hesitating between the two, I recommend going with Basch instead of "a butt", because Koobes donates more per run and has a higher upper limit than I do. I should be regarded as the second-run name option.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Sadly yes, none of that works on the mobile/Steam version.

:psyduck: I'm still amazed something this huge just got discovered.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
This leads to the most niche strategy in the history of niche strategies, which is that now Geomancer/Dancer parties can have a Sword Dance Up (via Lamia's Tiara) !Dance Geomancer with full Ribbon immunities for boss fights.

UNLIMITED POWERRRRR

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Yeah, the stream was great just for that. Where else would it apply in a way that would matter? I know Omega has Delta's stone (Aegis Shield in-battle, Ribbon) and counter Rocket Punch's confuse (Lamia's Tiara, Genji stuff, Rainbow Dress/Red Shoes, forgot Bone Mail) depending on if you can equip but it's only going to just help rather than become an instant win if you can damage.

Edit: Now I'm so glad I've never done Geomancers yet :lol:

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 18, 2017

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

:psyduck: I'm still amazed something this huge just got discovered.
The funny thing is that FFV is the least broken of the SNES-era Final Fantasies. Sure you can duplicate items and skip the final boss, but it's small potatoes compared to the 64-door glitch in FF4 or the sketch glitch, 51 game over glitch, and airship glitch in FF6.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

FreeKillB posted:

The funny thing is that FFV is the least broken of the SNES-era Final Fantasies. Sure you can duplicate items and skip the final boss, but it's small potatoes compared to the 64-door glitch in FF4 or the sketch glitch, 51 game over glitch, and airship glitch in FF6.

what are those glitches

asking for a friend

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FF6 having one of the main stats in the game not work at all in the original release is hard to top.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lurdiak posted:

FF6 having one of the main stats in the game not work at all in the original release is hard to top.

Isn't this true of 1, 7 and 4 as well?

Final Fantasy as a series had a problem woth random stats not working.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not sure, all I remember is that sunglasses do nothing.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Zore posted:

Also Seiken Densetsu 3 if I recall, so it's not even Final Fantasy it's just Square in general.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Zore posted:

6 is by far the most broken. Evade doesn't work and instead calls MBlock to determine magical defense AND physical defense, so if you equip to maximize MBlock you can pretty much curb-stomp the game with no issue...and FF6 is easy already without that.

Also the Blind status effect doesn't do anything, so you can go the whole game wearing those shades.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Even in the fixed GBA version, Blind doesn't matter much, because almost no character has an incentive to attack normally and special moves tend to always hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

fits posted:

what are those glitches

asking for a friend

My understanding of the 64-door glitch is that the game has a value it tracks as to what 'floor' you're on moving from one map to another. The issue is that some levels (notably the dwarven castle) have the structure such that you can repeatedly pass through '+1' floors, allowing the floor counter to overflow from 63 to 0. You can then enter a '-1' floor, which makes the game very angry. This is often used to pick up FuSoYa early, give him a glitched instakill spell, walk straight and oneshot Zeromus. You can also do a credits warp, but it's more prone to crashing the game.

The 52 game over glitch is a situation where the game is tricked into loading garbage data if you die 52 times in a row on the world map. Among other things, this lets you warp straight to the credits in the first hour of gameplay.

The Sketch glitch is very easy to activate: have Relm try to sketch an invisible monster and the game will get very angry at you. Again, this involves reading and writing garbage data. Effects include gaining the Magitek Armor status (along with many others), having your inventory be flooded with silly items, and skipping straight to the World of Ruin.

The airship glitch doesn't break the game on the same fundamental level (the 52 game over glitch and 64 door glitch are allow you close to arbitrary code execution), but lets you get the airship earlier than you're supposed to, which breaks the game's threadbare scripting system far past the breaking point. A lot of the time you just softlock the game, but if you're careful you can do some strange things, such as suplexing the train as a Moogle .

e: I linked to a TAS for the 52 door glitch but want to clarify that all of these glitches have been performed by humans on original hardware.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 18, 2017

• Locked thread