Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Ruck may have also been biting General Bell - you can see it in panel four here: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch12/ch12_31.html
The scars are nearly identical to the wounds on Roger, and it may be that Bell had a run-in with a vanishingly rare snake person in his youth, but it doesn't seem likely.

I don't see any reason to disbelieve Ruck about the Queen giving him Roger, but it does seem like a completely inefficient way to go about it. There are skirmishes with Alderode all over, why not just take some POWs and use them? Marrying Roger was a terrible political move that made her drastically unpopular - she didn't need to go that far just to grab an Ald. If Ruck's also been biting Bell, her plan is way deeper and more complicated than what we've seen so far, which probably includes creating the Crescian rebellion deliberately. That would explain why she went so far out of her way, and married Roger to make herself unpopular deliberately. We just don't have enough information about Cresce yet to know what exactly she could be hoping for.

It does seem likely that she did turn down the silver - multiple players have said that, and they have no reason to cover for her. Bell was the one who ultimately bought it and made the plan to smuggle it into Cresce, but if he's been getting bitten by Ruck he may be doing it at Ruck's request, and right now Ruck is working for/with Queen Sonorie. Which means she may have been using him as a puppet to move the silver, but ultimately keeping her hands clean via plausible deniability.

She's mapping the Aldish castes/dammakhert through Roger, and she may ultimately have control of the silver, which feeds on pain. If they could use what they know about Roger to flood Alds with pain, they could pump up the silver once it was past Aldish borders to the gigantic titan that Duane saw with Ilganyag in the khert that time. Then all they have to do is sit back and let the superweapon destroy Alderode from the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
If the Roger data is what could lead to the gigantic silver monster that would explain nicely why the lady abandoned the black tongues - she found that possible future and wanted no part of the group due to it.
of course that would mean she partially caused the future by abandoning them too but hey, thats prophesy for you!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
In the comments on the website someone brought up that the queen might also be interested in her successors having 500 year reigns: that IS a legitimate (heh) benefit to marrying him instead of just using a POW.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Ehwhat? I thought the pale folk had a rep for aging quickly.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

FAT BATMAN posted:

Ehwhat? I thought the pale folk had a rep for aging quickly.

nah some of them last ridiculously long and some of them die quick and it depends on their features, Plats only last 30 years for example but that guy can scrape a few hundred.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so what the hell was it that broke the aldish khert anyway

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

reignonyourparade posted:

In the comments on the website someone brought up that the queen might also be interested in her successors having 500 year reigns: that IS a legitimate (heh) benefit to marrying him instead of just using a POW.

She'd need to conceive the child while in the Dammakhert, so that's not likely to be a concern.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Tollymain posted:

so what the hell was it that broke the aldish khert anyway

GLOBAL WARMING

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Cryophage posted:

She'd need to conceive the child while in the Dammakhert, so that's not likely to be a concern.

Unless she managed to get enough information about it to hack together an equivalent, perhaps. The point being understanding it doesn't JUST mean being able to use it AGAINST Alderode, but potentially also use elements in their own favor.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So do all Black Tongues actually get castrated or is he just being snarky?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
All Black Tongues actually get castrated. This requirement was apparently handed down by Lady I.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

So do all Black Tongues actually get castrated or is he just being snarky?

Its true and probably also explains all of their sentient creations.

Also explains why bastion is such a twink slut :pervert:

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 14, 2017

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I don't see any reason to disbelieve Ruck about the Queen giving him Roger, but it does seem like a completely inefficient way to go about it. There are skirmishes with Alderode all over, why not just take some POWs and use them? Marrying Roger was a terrible political move that made her drastically unpopular - she didn't need to go that far just to grab an Ald. If Ruck's also been biting Bell, her plan is way deeper and more complicated than what we've seen so far, which probably includes creating the Crescian rebellion deliberately. That would explain why she went so far out of her way, and married Roger to make herself unpopular deliberately. We just don't have enough information about Cresce yet to know what exactly she could be hoping for.

Another possibility: Ruck bit Bell, playing him off the queen without her knowing it. Ruck then approaches the increasingly desperate queen with a plan to scorch the Alds and win back the love of her people, and she goes for it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm sure Bell also signed a waiver so everything is fine! :downs:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna bet it's not Bastion's blood that's splashing in the last panel. I've seen this cheap dramatic trick used too many times (protagonist threatened by bad guy, extreme close up with blood splashes or extreme zoom out with weapon noise; turn the page and you see it's the bad guy who's been stabbed or shot).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Next panel will be Rahm standing with a bloody sword as Darkest topples over.

"This plan... is for the birds ", he says as he dons his sunglasses.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Ashley, on Patreon: "Also, whom do you reckon got opened up?"

She's not really even pretending that it's Bastion. Of course it's not Bastion. I figure it's between the lawyer and Paul. Probably the lawyer.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, the guy's name is Darkest Paul. I certainly hope he's dead before the end of this because wow, what a dumbass. Who call themself that?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Darkest Paul, apparently.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Dude probably wanted to call himself Dark Paul but the server told him that name was taken.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

I mean, the guy's name is Darkest Paul. I certainly hope he's dead before the end of this because wow, what a dumbass. Who call themself that?

I want him to survive for precisely this reason. I need to know more about this incredible dumbass.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I thought that with Starfish murked and Murk loving off we'd be a little light on incredible shitheads for the moment, but now we have Brain-Drinking Snake Mengele, Queen "I'mma marry a foreigner just to give him to Brain-Drinking Snake Mengele" Sonorie, her horrible retainers, and now the Black Tongues and this dingbat bureaucrat who keeps trying and failing to ape Quigley's shiny-glasses routine.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Darkest Paul, apparently.

Fair enough.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I want him to survive for precisely this reason. I need to know more about this incredible dumbass.

Also fair.

Hilariously (or at least moreso), judging from the conversations over the past few pages, his first name is "Darkest", on that topic. Which kind of makes me wonder if that's his given name, or if he actually changed his first name to "Darkest". (Or perhaps everyone's assuming it has to be his first name because no one would be so lame as to declare themselves "Darkest Paul".)

Oxxidation posted:

I thought that with Starfish murked and Murk loving off we'd be a little light on incredible shitheads for the moment, but now we have Brain-Drinking Snake Mengele, Queen "I'mma marry a foreigner just to give him to Brain-Drinking Snake Mengele" Sonorie, her horrible retainers, and now the Black Tongues and this dingbat bureaucrat who keeps trying and failing to ape Quigley's shiny-glasses routine.

Well, at least none of them are child molesters? (I was going to say "rapists" but, no, we have the snake for that, depending on how you interpret those panels, that one person talking about him being "coupled" with the poor redhead, and, well, the snake himself referring to his "rape".)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Well, at least none of them are child molesters? (I was going to say "rapists" but, no, we have the snake for that, depending on how you interpret those panels, that one person talking about him being "coupled" with the poor redhead, and, well, the snake himself referring to his "rape".)

There is an older definition for the word that specifically refers it to theft/abduction including the theft of one's spouse. Snake dude is a total creep though so it could be either way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

I figured he was referring to that in the really antiquated sense of the word, when it was just violent theft without sexual connotations. I choose to continue figuring that.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

His line is "Here, do you see my little rape, spread-eagled, sticky on the counterpane?" Counterpane is an old-timey way of saying "bedspread". He is 100% referencing sexual rape and comparing what he's doing to Roger to that. It isn't literally sexual, but it might as well be. It's gross, and it's supposed to be.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

idonotlikepeas posted:

His line is "Here, do you see my little rape, spread-eagled, sticky on the counterpane?" Counterpane is an old-timey way of saying "bedspread". He is 100% referencing sexual rape and comparing what he's doing to Roger to that. It isn't literally sexual, but it might as well be. It's gross, and it's supposed to be.

Yeah, I've been torn on whether or not he literally did something along those lines, in addition to the brain-melting, but he is explicitly invoking it, at least. It's not subtle.

Anyway. Hopefully Bastion, edgy teenager he may be, gets out of this and wrecks some fools. Possibly including Darkest Paul, in a way that is highly embarrassing whether or not it's actually fatal.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, I've been torn on whether or not he literally did something along those lines, in addition to the brain-melting, but he is explicitly invoking it, at least. It's not subtle.

Anyway. Hopefully Bastion, edgy teenager he may be, gets out of this and wrecks some fools. Possibly including Darkest Paul, in a way that is highly embarrassing whether or not it's actually fatal.

Bastion is a dingus but he's our dingus. gently caress all of these idiots and especially Darkest Paul. :colbert:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Hilariously (or at least moreso), judging from the conversations over the past few pages, his first name is "Darkest", on that topic. Which kind of makes me wonder if that's his given name, or if he actually changed his first name to "Darkest". (Or perhaps everyone's assuming it has to be his first name because no one would be so lame as to declare themselves "Darkest Paul".)

From Ashley's tumblr, yeah, he totally called himself that. Not a given name, not a given nickname, just thought it was cool and did it himself.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Twenty Four posted:

From Ashley's tumblr, yeah, he totally called himself that. Not a given name, not a given nickname, just thought it was cool and did it himself.

Ahahaha, I checked the Tumblr and yeah, that's the case:

quote:

nunyunnini-speaks asked: DARKEST PAUL. ashley i don't say this near often enough but you are a sheer inspiration.

The greatest thing about Darkest Paul is that’s not even his real name. He wasn’t named that. He sat down and thought about it and freely chose that name for himself. At least Knock-Me-Down and Stockyard could blame their parents.

quote:

snowysauropteryx replied to your post:
Is his name-name Paul and he just added the Darkest, or did he make up Paul, too ?
His real name’s Tarpaulin Targellery, a very salty Sharteshanian moniker he was eager to put behind him.

quote:

unclevertitle replied to your post:
It makes me wonder if there’s a “Dark Paul” and a “Darker Paul” among the blacktongues too or if Darkest Paul went straight for the superlative name.
Well, it’s a play on Darkest Pall. “The evening’s gloom deepened with the darkest pall.”

What a dork. And apparently he's in his forties? (And so is Bastion, wow.)

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

His brother named himself Dark Jimmy and he just HAD to be rear end in a top hat.

Also I don't get why y'all are pro bastion tho, this guy is or perhaps was a card holding member of this shithead brigade. He didn't care they indirectly shelled out a bunch of abducted people including kids to smuggle silver or any of the other heinous poo poo they did and do daily in the name of weird science he only cares that now they're getting involved in politics. Maybe that's a damning indictment of politics but two hideous morally bankrupt pitch black wrongs don't make a (w)right.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 19, 2017

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The name makes more sense now that I know that it's a pun but maybe you should've picked something a little more obvious for that, Darkest.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

His brother named himself Dark Jimmy and he just HAD to be rear end in a top hat.

Also I don't get why y'all are pro bastion tho, this guy is or perhaps was a card holding member of this shithead brigade. He didn't care they indirectly shelled out a bunch of abducted people including kids to smuggle silver or any of the other heinous poo poo they did and do daily in the name of weird science he only cares that now they're getting involved in politics. Maybe that's a damning indictment of politics but two hideous morally bankrupt pitch black wrongs don't make a (w)right.

He's the least smelly rear end in a top hat in the room right now.

He also clearly has a blind spot regarding 'Delicieu'/Prakhuta. Looks like the two of them have been close for a while and he tries to look past the lizard's more egregious displays of psychopathy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bastion's not a good guy, but at the very least he seems to have standards - which is more than can be said for Miles Edgeworth, Snake Plissken, and Darksyde Phil. As much as he was using poor Elan, he seemed genuinely dismayed to learn of his death, and the visuals during his piano recital suggest that might've been the moment he woke up to what they were doing. Or not. There's a lot that could still happen.

Gotta be honest though, I'm ready for us to get back to Sette and Duane.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well hey, Bastion had two saviors here, neither of them being who I expected. (Mainly because I didn't really dedicate much thought to it in general and thus didn't have any suspects.) Good work Timofey. RIP Chorley, too smug for this world.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bad Seafood posted:

I guess Ashley's getting all the exposition out of the way now, so we can get straight into the action when we return to Sette and Duane's point of view.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I wonder what snek-dude's relationship to the two-toes is.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I gotta admit, every-time they're not on screen all I can ask is "WHERE'S DWAYNE??" especially when there's no Elka.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

"We are good and civilised men! We do not commit murder until we have voted to do so!"

I can only imagine the glee with which Cope penned that line. :allears:

JuniperCake posted:

There is an older definition for the word that specifically refers it to theft/abduction including the theft of one's spouse. Snake dude is a total creep though so it could be either way.

Sort of a worthless interjection, but usually if an author wants to invoke that sense they go for the "rapine" form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Darkest Paul is obviously a better person than Bastion.

1. Not racist. Bastion wants to kill all the Efheby while Darkest Paul is a friend of all peoples.
2. Smart and forward thinking. Since tittybird abandoned the Black Tongues, it's obviously a smart idea to get a new magic patron. And this one doesn't even want your balls!
3. Did not turn Duane into a zombie. Darkest Paul has not, to the knowledge that we have of him, condemned a faithful Ssaelit and good dad to an undead hell.
4. Wears clothes in public. Darkest Paul is a humble man who puts his pants on one leg at a time, while Bastion glamours himself a pair of pants so he can be naked all the time, the pervert.
5. Loyal. While certain others may be attempting to leave the Black Tongues because a crow with tits abandoned them to hang out with a zombie dad and an edgy zombie, Darkest Paul commits. Excellent husband material.