Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ahh so it's only one of the two.

https://www.twitter.com/derekbodnernba/status/876280256088469508

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I've watched a pretty decent amount of Dennis Smith video and I've never seen "bad body language."

It should also be noted that Mark Gottfried sucked and was a dead man walking halfway through the season, which is going to give a destabilizing aura to any teams' entire morale. Dennis Smith still has value in my opinion, though I haven't gotten to see much of him, but if the nick on him is "body language"... it was a really lovely NC State season, after all.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Congrats Jota and I'm considering switching fan allegiance back to the Sixers if the Knicks continue to beat me like a dead horse

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I still can't give myself completely to the idea of Fultz as a Sixer because there's still a chance that Ainge is just trolling the gently caress out of us.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So does that mean that Boston might get Sactown's unprotected 2019 pick?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So does that mean that Boston might get Sactown's unprotected 2019 pick?

If the 2018 Lakers pick ends up at #1 or #6-#30, then they get the Sacramento pick.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Oh my god pleeease make this Fultz happen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/keithsmithnba/status/876298609574256640

Lol

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

If the 2018 Lakers pick ends up at #1 or #6-#30, then they get the Sacramento pick.

How likely is that? Does it strongly hinge on what L.A. does in the draft and free agency, I guess?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How likely is that? Does it strongly hinge on what L.A. does in the draft and free agency, I guess?

50/50 I guess.

They probably wait till Paul George is a FA next summer instead of attempting to trade for him so I don't think they'll be that much better, but guys like Russell, Randle, Ingram, Nance and Walton will all be more experienced so they might not be quite as bad.

Honestly, I could see the pick being anywhere in the top 10-12.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I would argue he's been even an extremely good drafter.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Paul Zuvella posted:

I would argue he's been even an extremely good drafter.

The nets trade is simply loving legendary fleecing. A gorgeous move.

1 to 3 is fine in this draft. Agreed with the guy who said Celtics won't go for a big trade ie Butler. Could still see them going hard for Hayward but I think he's staying in Utah... And they're gonna max IT :o

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Scout 1:

"He's got an ugly girlfriend, Danny..."

Scout 2:

"You know what that means, Danny..."

Hinkie wearing a wig:

"Not a winner, Danny..."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ammanas posted:

1 to 3 is fine in this draft.

It's not.

From the perspective of the Celtics where they're using these picks to try to bring in Jimmy Butler, the move is totally understandable even a probable rookie superstar is usually not as good as a right-now superstar (E: although reading the G/V thread maybe the deal isn't so good after all).

But no, Jackson isn't remotely as good of a prospect as Fultz, no one else in the draft is. Maybe Markkanen can play enough defense to play, maybe Jackson or Fox get a haircut, maybe Ball gets a first step or a midrange jumper, learns to play pick and roll, gets more athletic, grows to the actual height his dad is pretending he is, or is somehow so good at fast breaks he reverses twenty year NBA trend. If those things happen to those players, (or maybe Fultz's knee blows up) maybe those guys are better than Fultz. But considering what Fultz can do now, and where the league is at now, there just is no one in this class who has an easier path to being good.

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 18, 2017

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I still have no idea why the Celtics like Josh Jackson so much. JJ is a 3. So are Hayward and PG.

If you pick Fultz and don't trade him, you probably lose Thomas when his contract comes up. If you pick Jackson, you don't lose anybody, and you get a pick on top.

Fultz will probably end up better than Thomas in a few years, but this way they don't lose anyone for nothing. Who knows, that pick next year or the sac pick could also be really good.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DX updated their mock with Tatum at #3. Is this some 4 dimensional smokescreen game going on here?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Lakers taking JJ at 2 going to be extremely funny

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The DX dude has seemed pretty in touch with Boston's thinking so far this season.

I guess, if I'm going to rationalize it, it is weird that the Celtics were seemingly so high on Josh Jackson when he so far has not worked out for them (NOT that this usually matters, but I'm pretending it does to rationalize). They have worked Tatum out, and were impressed by him. Tatum at 3 is probably fine (Generic College PF/Pro SF NBA Semi-Ready player), and like it definitely doesn't look like that's a direction the Lakers were going at all. So I guess if Tatum was their dude it doesn't matter if the Lakers pick Jackson or Ball. I dunno, I guess Tatum is a pretty safe pick overall, albeit a boring one.

E: Clearly what is going to happen is that the Celtics are now going to step into whatever deal that the Suns were offering the Lakers for 2, get yet another pick out of this (half joking, although the Celtics are interviewing Markkanen and DSJ today it's not that outlandish) and get their guy Tatum at 4.

---

Man what happened, OG Anuoby has fallen almost 10 spots in a week. Did someone find out his injury was worse?

Rick fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 18, 2017

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

WhyteRyce posted:

DX updated their mock with Tatum at #3. Is this some 4 dimensional smokescreen game going on here?

Also has French Frank dropping to 14. He'd be a great long-term pairing with Kemba but I can definitely see them grabbing a more NBA-ready guy

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Would Boston take Ball at #3? I'd imagine probably not but they could do it and then flip him to somebody who wants the guy along with some cap filler for a team need.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Just chiming in to say lol Danny Ainge is a loving moron

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

Just chiming in to say lol Danny Ainge is a loving moron

Moaning Mormon rear end idiot

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Doltos posted:

Congrats Jota and I'm considering switching fan allegiance back to the Sixers if the Knicks continue to beat me like a dead horse

Thank you my friend. All who can appreciate Sam Hinkie are welcome

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I understood that Boston is in a position to try and win now by using some of their assets to trade for Butler AND in a position to blow it all up and start over in a few years if it doesn't work out.

Anyway.... OMG I think it's actually happening!!!!

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Who has that cartoon picture of a dragon smiling on a pile of gold? It's my favorite picture and I think of it every time Ainge and his draft picks come up.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rick posted:

Man what happened, OG Anuoby has fallen almost 10 spots in a week. Did someone find out his injury was worse?

he's very bad a shooting is probably what happened

e: on a different note, I'm not understanding why TJ Leaf is projected higher than DJ Wilson. Maybe I'm seeing things wrong but Wilson just seems better to me

Metapod fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 18, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Can you give me a cliff notes version?

Australian kids recognized as potentially elite athletes sent to central locations for constant training, attend nearby public schools and are raised above the other kids in a personality cult style, far beyond the sort of athlete feting we're familiar with in America.

Not to say that american kids who switch between 80 person private christian schools and just play basketball are leagues better, we can see their weirdness and cowardice regularly, but AIS has produced a lot of weird chokers

My friend Jack went to school with a bunch of them and gave me the low down

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Rick posted:

He wasn't invited to the green room on draft night by the league, and then his DX spot fell from around 13 to 21. So depending on how much you believe the NBA is correctly guessing where guys are likely to go, that would seem to be the cause. I would be thrilled if OG was available at 21. Internet thunder fans seemingly want a Semi Ojeleye/Derek White older guy who can maybe play 12 minutes right away, but I'd be much happier taking a swing on Giles or Anunoby if they're available.

All that said, I'd be stunned if someone didn't take a swing on OG in the teens unless there is in fact secret injury info. A recurrent theme in most mock drafts I've seen is a ton of bigs being taken from 10-25. I suspect teams in that range will ultimately talk themselves into perimeter guys and combo forwards over the TJ Leaf and Justin Patton types.

Metapod posted:

e: on a different note, I'm not understanding why TJ Leaf is projected higher than DJ Wilson. Maybe I'm seeing things wrong but Wilson just seems better to me

I think Leaf's so versatile and skilled on offense that teams who already have a defensive-minded center (e.g. Turner on the Pacers) may see him as an ideal complement despite the physical limitations and defense. Anderson-Capela is a nice current example of what many teams are looking for. Wilson's more of a generic prospect who doesn't have the same offensive ceiling and is a full year older than Leaf.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 18, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Og won't play until January apparently and is offensively raw as gently caress so I can understand mid to late first round teams not having the patience

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Not only the severity of his injury but the fact that he ended last season with a big injury as well. So he's going to have to be taught how to move without destroying his loving weird body. Still, 6-8 spots isn't that meaningful once you get past the top of the lottery

The draft's 3 days from today and then we can talk about LUKA DONCIC the hunchbacked slovenian basketball messiah whose career will be destroyed by injuries like Wally Sczerbiak and Mike Miller (Both personally called to Lebron's teams by Lebron himself because he loves grit and hustle ;) ) if he doesn't rectify poor movement patterns

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 18, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Someone said just send Og through Hawks University and he'll be fine. I mean yeah but wallet will be fine but not many people seem happy with Hawks U graduates

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

he's very bad a shooting is probably what happened

Wilson is less polished, a bad rebounder, doesn't play defense, and is older. He was playing like 6 minutes a game when he was Leaf's age and it wasn't because Michigan was loaded

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wonder if there are fans out there that still believe Brad Stevens would leave his five year contract with the Celtics to coach their beloved college team.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

Wilson is less polished, a bad rebounder, doesn't play defense, and is older. He was playing like 6 minutes a game when he was Leaf's age and it wasn't because Michigan was loaded

i see i see

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

He wasn't invited to the green room on draft night by the league, and then his DX spot fell from around 13 to 21. So depending on how much you believe the NBA is correctly guessing where guys are likely to go, that would seem to be the cause. I would be thrilled if OG was available at 21. Internet thunder fans seemingly want a Semi Ojeleye/Derek White older guy who can maybe play 12 minutes right away, but I'd be much happier taking a swing on Giles or Anunoby if they're available.

All that said, I'd be stunned if someone didn't take a swing on OG in the teens unless there is in fact secret injury info. A recurrent theme in most mock drafts I've seen is a ton of bigs being taken from 10-25. I suspect teams in that range will ultimately talk themselves into perimeter guys and combo forwards over the TJ Leaf and Justin Patton types.

I think Leaf's so versatile and skilled on offense that teams who already have a defensive-minded center (e.g. Turner on the Pacers) may see him as an ideal complement despite the physical limitations and defense. Anderson-Capela is a nice current example of what many teams are looking for. Wilson's more of a generic prospect who doesn't have the same offensive ceiling and is a full year older than Leaf.

im looking forward to the meltdown okc twitter has after presti does presti

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
x-posting

https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/876526696861757440

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Wilson plays better defense than TJ Leaf come on

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/bradhern/status/875853577398431749

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Wilson plays better defense than TJ Leaf come on

His ceiling is higher on that end but it's not a huge advantage right now. He's pretty bad on that end. He gets bullied by bigger players, doesn't really know where he's supposed to be, and is a decent but not great rim protector. Also, like I said, he doesn't rebound well at all for his size

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

MourningView posted:

His ceiling is higher on that end but it's not a huge advantage right now. He's pretty bad on that end. He gets bullied by bigger players, doesn't really know where he's supposed to be, and is a decent but not great rim protector. Also, like I said, he doesn't rebound well at all for his size

Yeah, he needs a little weight on him against larger players. He can check 3-5 though, tons more versatile than Leaf, who I am suspecting will be even more suspect in the NBA at defense due to poor wingspan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Yea baby keep going I'm almost there

• Locked thread