Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Getsuya posted:

Also holy cow Ryusei's route on OG1 is weird. I'm about 8 missions in and everyone's still in generic starter mechs that I'm afraid to waste money upgrading.

It's kind of funny that Ryusei is supposedly the "super" route, but he and his crew are stuck in very traditional real robots up until the end of the game, while Kyosuke's Alteisen is a super in all but name, and his route has more heavier hitters, sooner.

In a lot of ways, I think OG1 is a strictly better strategy game than many of the others, and the relatively low power curve is a big part of that.

Getsuya posted:

Wait so I'm actually supposed to spend money on these things?

Here's a hint: don't upgrade the mechs, upgrade transferable weapons. A decently upgraded M95 Machine Gun can last you the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Wait so I'm actually supposed to spend money on these things?

Edit: I keep waiting for them to roll out my actual mechs.
about half the cast will be in gespensts or similar for the entire game

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Here's a hint: don't upgrade the mechs, upgrade transferable weapons. A decently upgraded M95 Machine Gun can last you the whole game.

Ah-ha. That does sound super useful. Thanks!

My favorite thing about everyone being in reals is only like 1/3rd of them right now have Focus.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Getsuya posted:

Ah-ha. That does sound super useful. Thanks!

My favorite thing about everyone being in reals is only like 1/3rd of them right now have Focus.

At the very least you'll get the Grungust early. That's a safe bet to upgrade if you want an early boss killer.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm pretty sure the Gespent-TTs/Schutzwald pass their upgrades to the R series. They definitely have the upgrade caps of the real models.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Put all of your money into Cybuster as soon as you get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqdmU-nvsrY

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

MonsieurChoc posted:

Put all of your money into Cybuster as soon as you get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqdmU-nvsrY

...And to try and prove your point, you use footage from a game where Cybuster (and all the originals really (except Thrundgelmir)) sucks?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sordas Volantyr posted:

...And to try and prove your point, you use footage from a game where Cybuster (and all the originals really (except Thrundgelmir)) sucks?

It's non-spoilery since it's from a different game?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Kurui Reiten posted:

This is going to be a stupid question, but would anyone be willing to zip up their big rear end pack of MP3s for custom music tracks? I haven't been able to find a good pack of JUST the relevant songs for things in this game, like vocal versions to replace instrumentals, good insert songs for attacks, etc, with suggested replacements. It's a ton of work for someone as unfamiliar with some of these series (all of these series) as I, and I was wondering if anyone had done it already.

Thanks in advance, if anyone has something to offer.

gotchu covered fam

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Caphi posted:

I'm pretty sure the Gespent-TTs/Schutzwald pass their upgrades to the R series. They definitely have the upgrade caps of the real models.

They don't. Ryusei's Gespenst Mk-II T passes upgrades to the Wildraubtier (you can tell, because his Gespenst has fewer upgrade bars than Aya's), but the R-series doesn't inherit from anything.

Upgrade Cybuster, Grungust, Wildraubtier a bit and jam the rest into Machine Guns. And don't forget a Water Jet on the Shutzwald.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Some characters can do decently in the Fighter Jets in an offensive capability - their Missiles are basically Machine Guns but a bit weaker in the same sense that they gain power from upgrades at a rapid pace. They can hold Repair modules too and are probably one of the best units suited to that role given their high movement and flight.

I wouldn't sink all my money into them but it's worth consideration.

(Also this only applies to OG1 because they took a huge nerf stick in OG2 for no real reason)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh definitely. Latooni, being one of the proud few Focus-havers, is a frontline fighter with her upgraded missiles.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think OG1 is the lowest power SRW.

At the very least it's one of the most Real Robot heavy.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Even the secrets are fairly tame. Valsion Custom is pretty ace, but you also get a first-gen Huckebein, Grungust, and Gespenst.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 18, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

I think OG1 is the lowest power SRW.

At the very least it's one of the most Real Robot heavy.
Yeah, OG1 is definitely at the bottom of the "total raw firepower at the player's disposal" scale. There's only 8 playable Supers (Grungust, Grungust Type-0, Grungust Type-2, Giganscudo, Cybuster, Valsione, Valsion Custom, SRX when it's not falling apart) in the entire game, with everything else being Reals. Compare to other SRWs, and either you have the average number of Supers being roughly around 10 or so, or the Reals have some crazy super power (e.g., V-Max, Lambda Driver, Chirico Cuvie) on hand that makes them as powerful as a Super.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I would definitely add Alteisen to the super group for OG1. Extremely hefty boy. OG1 definitely teaches you how many hits reals can take and the power of the Defend action.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
How useful is the pair up system in OG?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Can't you only pair up in the field once you hit a will requirement or something? I think there's a restriction on ALL attacks as well? I've never actually played the PS2 version of OGs so I'm only going on what I looked at years ago and thought sounded irritating as hell.

I remember being told that M95 machine guns loaded with the special bullets you can make completely destroy the game.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

A scholar and a saint, truly. Thanks.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

EthanSteele posted:

Can't you only pair up in the field once you hit a will requirement or something? I think there's a restriction on ALL attacks as well? I've never actually played the PS2 version of OGs so I'm only going on what I looked at years ago and thought sounded irritating as hell.

I remember being told that M95 machine guns loaded with the special bullets you can make completely destroy the game.

You can only pair up at 110 will, and it's the standard 'can only use ALL attacks with both if they both have an ALL'.

The pair up system is useful for throwing out lots and lots of damage very quickly, and you can get some neat bonuses by matching up types of mechs. For instance, pairing up two TK mechs gives the pilots an extra level of TK, meaning you can use NENDOU BAKUSAI KEN the first time the SRX successfully combines. That said, it's never required or anything, you can use it if it suits your play style and generally ignore it if it doesn't.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yesss, my copy of FMW4 arrived, time to gently caress up some fairies. Reimu? Oh yeah I remember her, the main character I never choose for anything.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm a little late to the afterparty but I beat V.
First SRW I beat. (Out of the 4 I played).
It was easy Except for the last fight but I feel that works in the game's favor. I play SRW to play out power fantasies and murder the world's problems with Super Robots.

Other impressions.

~Of course the easiness of the game made the entire plot feel like the part in the Dover Boys where Dora Standpipe is trapped in the house with Dan Backslide ('help' 'help' <X> is too strong throws <x> across the room effortlessly 'help' 'help'])

~Did Ghuli remind anybody else of a human Sonic the Hedgehog?

~is "Mazin" supposed to be a derivation of "Majin"? Asking as somebody whose familiarity with Mazinger Z basically ended when he was in Kindergarten and the local network took Tranzor Z off the air to show some awful Canadian kid's show garbage.

~Banagher and his stupid Unicorn suck poo poo and I hate them.

~Seconded for Sousuke and his ARX Whatever. (of course I kept forgetting to upgrade/equip it because I kept forgetting that Sousuke is an MC and was a mandatory deployment a lot of the time). I threw him in the dumb bear at the earliest opportunity. It was a good move even though he never killed anything in that either. He had by far the lowest kill count of any MC at about 37

~Looks at Gamillians They are way too robot deficient to be a good villain in an SRW. I miss the dinosaur empire.

~I love that a chunk of the original plot can be summed up in a Cards Against Humanity card. Teaching a robot to love

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm a little late to the afterparty but I beat V.
First SRW I beat. (Out of the 4 I played).
It was easy Except for the last fight but I feel that works in the game's favor. I play SRW to play out power fantasies and murder the world's problems with Super Robots.

Other impressions.

~Of course the easiness of the game made the entire plot feel like the part in the Dover Boys where Dora Standpipe is trapped in the house with Dan Backslide ('help' 'help' <X> is too strong throws <x> across the room effortlessly 'help' 'help'])

~Did Ghuli remind anybody else of a human Sonic the Hedgehog?

~is "Mazin" supposed to be a derivation of "Majin"? Asking as somebody whose familiarity with Mazinger Z basically ended when he was in Kindergarten and the local network took Tranzor Z off the air to show some awful Canadian kid's show garbage.

~Banagher and his stupid Unicorn suck poo poo and I hate them.

~Seconded for Sousuke and his ARX Whatever. (of course I kept forgetting to upgrade/equip it because I kept forgetting that Sousuke is an MC and was a mandatory deployment a lot of the time). I threw him in the dumb bear at the earliest opportunity. It was a good move even though he never killed anything in that either. He had by far the lowest kill count of any MC at about 37

~Looks at Gamillians They are way too robot deficient to be a good villain in an SRW. I miss the dinosaur empire.

~I love that a chunk of the original plot can be summed up in a Cards Against Humanity card. Teaching a robot to love

Yeah, he more or less was our blue hedgehog

Yes, Mazin is from Majin, since it contains Ma and Jin, meaning Devil and God, hence the whole "You can become a God or a Devil"

Banagher and the Unicorn are alright.

Sousuke is good, and Bonta-kun is adorable.

I feel that they would've been more of a threat if there were more of the bigger ships. At the very least they'd stop being a weaker enemy.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Sousuke "girl, does this look like a drat Gundam to you" Sagara.

I'll probably get tired of him in one more game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I want Ghuli to be recruitable in OG so we can have our own speedy hedgehog, although if anything he's more of a Shadow than Sonic.

Ghuli's the name and speed's my game!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It bothers me that they give you a rival whose entire gimmick is speed and then ask you what you want your upgrade to focus on.

Of COURSE I want to outspeed that bastard!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

It bothers me that they give you a rival whose entire gimmick is speed and then ask you what you want your upgrade to focus on.

:same:

Plus the GranVang, like the Li-Brasta R, just looks like a big lump with some Vang-themed bits on. The VangNex actually looks like the next generation of the VangRay.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Caphi posted:

:same:

Plus the GranVang, like the Li-Brasta R, just looks like a big lump with some Vang-themed bits on. The VangNex actually looks like the next generation of the VangRay.

Maybe, but I like the idea of just blowing the hell out of everything in the general area in order to deal with him. And if that didn't work, we'll do it again, and again, until it does.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Yamato getting in and being a fun addition makes me want to see more non mech stuff in soon. Ace Combat has been mentioned already but I would love to see SRWs rake on Strangereal's insanity.

Comedy option Airforce Delta Strike for Gundam with planes and also bad.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'd drop a lot of cold hard cash for Armored Core to make it in.

And I mean like OG Raven-era AC, not 4 or V.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Considering how many times Nadesico has been in, I'd love to see Stellvia in it except I think everyone in Japan including the director has forgotten that show existed.

But seriously it has some great SRW-level universal threats in its plot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Did Ghuli even qualify as a rival? He kind of shows up, says "SPEED" a lot, and accomplishes nothing of note. He's basically a non-entity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

irresponsible captain tylor

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Getsuya posted:

Considering how many times Nadesico has been in, I'd love to see Stellvia in it except I think everyone in Japan including the director has forgotten that show existed.

But seriously it has some great SRW-level universal threats in its plot.

The problem is the robot(s) has no gameplay because Stellvia is utterly 0% a battle anime. It's not just a Dai-Guard thing where the thematics are off but there's enough content to be a real unit; a pure support giant super robot would be kind of conceptually interesting but nothing would actually happen.

And the threat isn't going to be another Alpha 3 climax, and I'm not even 100% sure it's up to another Z "some fucker is standing in the way for fucker reasons" climax.

(On the other hand, the Nirvash specV was a unit, so what do I know.)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Turns out all my OG talk is moot because I'm getting @2 & 3 sometime this week. I've heard Kusuha is (sort of) the 'canon' route across all 3 games which is good because she was who I used in @1. Well, actually I used Ryo-something but whatever at least she was sort of in the 'right' robot eventually.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sordas Volantyr posted:

cybuster got nerfed hard in AG and never really recovered

for being the super fast mech it sure can't dodge poo poo ever in og

E:

Getsuya posted:

Turns out all my OG talk is moot because I'm getting @2 & 3 sometime this week. I've heard Kusuha is (sort of) the 'canon' route across all 3 games which is good because she was who I used in @1. Well, actually I used Ryo-something but whatever at least she was sort of in the 'right' robot eventually.

Kusuha has the serious downside of having the worst @3 route though

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

irresponsible captain tylor

1 hit and 999 evade

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I hope they make Unicorn unlocked one day so that I could put Fa in it.

I guess I could do that in SD Gundam GGG but it's not the same.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm still annoyed they pilot locked the Nu, Zeta and ZZ's big final moves.

Yinlock posted:

cybuster got nerfed hard in AG and never really recovered

for being the super fast mech it sure can't dodge poo poo ever in og

Accurate to the lore, he can't dodge or hit for poo poo because he can't find his way out of a paper bag (or path of an attack). Masaki you clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kai Shinden (Super Newtype) belongs in the Nu Gundam.

• Locked thread