Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bi5pjs2j3m11hdv/Morrowind_STEP_modpack.7z

Someone ripped every MOD in the step guide into a pack. Extremely not kosher but if anyone wants something better than mgso with 0 effort have at it before it gets taken down. I agree with the intentions but not the way this guy went about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hlaalu are the most thematically appropriate house. Morrowind isn't about being a heroic protector, like House Redoran, or uncovering ancient secrets, like Telvanni. It's about coming to an island with nothing and clawing your way to power through money and connections. Most of the quests you do, in the main storyline or elsewhere, are all about influence, secrets, or money. Every guild quest, most of the main quests. Even the lore is all about moral ambiguity rather than clear Good Vs. Evil Adventures, like Skyrim. Hlaalu are the most Morrowind house.

I like the Redoran hortator part where you have to convince a few guys to vote for you and then challenge one idiot to a duel. That's every Morrowind quest: find one or two people who will cooperate, stab the guy who doesn't.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Shibawanko posted:

I like the Redoran hortator part where you have to convince a few guys to vote for you and then challenge one idiot to a duel.

The inverse being the Erabenimsun Nerevarine quest where you find the one guy who likes you then murder the half-dozen who don't. It's one of my favorite parts of the main quest.

Telvanni are the most thematically appropriate Great House because they're amoral and live in giant mushrooms.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

one bit about morrowind lore that i didn't realize until i sat down and actually read "a history of morrowind" ingame is that the reason house indoril doesn't have a presence in vvardenfell is that they mostly killed themselves in protest of conceding to the empire

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stexils posted:

one bit about morrowind lore that i didn't realize until i sat down and actually read "a history of morrowind" ingame is that the reason house indoril doesn't have a presence in vvardenfell is that they mostly killed themselves in protest of conceding to the empire

vvardenfell settlements were heavily regulated by the temple for centuries because the tribunal didn't want people loving around on red mountain

indoril has almalexia/mournhold and a huge number of settlements on the mainland, they probably just didn't give a heck about this nasty uncivilized island

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'd probably kill myself if I had to submit to the empire as well.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Redoran are the most thematically appropriate house because their houses have the most austere exterior yet the most luxurious interior. Which is just like Morrowind: it looks ugly, but once you get in, it's one of the best game world ever made.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

They claim we'll be able to keep our slaves, but you know it's just a matter of time before they take that from us too! :ordinator mask shedding a single tear:

TBH I'm unclear why the Empire even wanted to conquer Morrowind, besides I guess "it's there, we like ebony :shrug:"

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The most offensive thing about the empire in Morrowind is its architecture - all of the imperial towns and forts are disgusting.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

TBH I'm unclear why the Empire even wanted to conquer Morrowind, besides I guess "it's there, we like ebony :shrug:"

ding ding ding

that and more places to tax. the empire basically conquered tamriel because they could, and then suffered a fate similar to that of rome

it's like poetry

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

They claim we'll be able to keep our slaves, but you know it's just a matter of time before they take that from us too! :ordinator mask shedding a single tear:

Ebony, Dwemer artifacts, unique agricultural products. Taxes. Because they could. Most of Morrowind is horrible, blasted Ashland but it's by no means a useless wasteland.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

You don't need to conquer poor bordering countries to completely strip them of natural resources. A deal with the local kleptarchy suffices.

Thinking about it more, I think a good answer would be that Morrowind was actually a threat. Really, that's why the game happens: even the last poisonous dream of the shattered and desolated dunmer kingdom has the power to destroy the empire. Luckily they were able to leverage Azura not being satisfied in her vengeance just with the disappearance of the "dwarves" (actually an empirically-minded local elven subculture that were time-quaked into near-non-existence imo, cf Ancient Tales of the Dwemer).

E: vvv yes that too, religious motivation is big in TES

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 17, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Doc Hawkins posted:

It was their manifest destiny to unite the entire continent.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hlaalu are the most thematically appropriate house. Morrowind isn't about being a heroic protector, like House Redoran, or uncovering ancient secrets, like Telvanni. It's about coming to an island with nothing and clawing your way to power through money and connections. Most of the quests you do, in the main storyline or elsewhere, are all about influence, secrets, or money. Every guild quest, most of the main quests. Even the lore is all about moral ambiguity rather than clear Good Vs. Evil Adventures, like Skyrim. Hlaalu are the most Morrowind house.

I disagree. All three of the houses are concerned with fact about clawing one's way to power through connections; it's what separates them from the regular guilds. Moral ambiguity is also familiar to all the houses. The Telvanni pretty perfectly embody that and even the Redoran dip their feet into it (the councilors allow a brutal tyrant to rule them because it is his brutality that has kept their house afloat).

If you've only played one great house I recommend you give the others a playthrough as well. They all reveal important parts of Morrowind.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I looked at this image and I can't stop laughing

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Poniard posted:

I looked at this image and I can't stop laughing

Whatever mod that is from needs to be deleted from the internet and every medium of storage in existence. It cannot be allowed to exist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Node posted:

Whatever mod that is from needs to be deleted from the internet and every medium of storage in existence. It cannot be allowed to exist.

Nah, they should include it with every Morrowind installation like that U2 album that no one wanted on their iPhone.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Node posted:

Uh Morrowind 2 is one of the finest mods ever made.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'll always been a Telvanni guy, but the Redoran guards have the best bonemold variation and fifteen years later bonemold is still impossibly cool to me, so.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Orv posted:

I'll always been a Telvanni guy, but the Redoran guards have the best bonemold variation and fifteen years later bonemold is still impossibly cool to me, so.

Uh no, Hlaalu's helmet is way cooler than Redoran's. The only good thing about Redoran's is the skirt.

Orv
May 4, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Uh no, Hlaalu's helmet is way cooler than Redoran's. The only good thing about Redoran's is the skirt.

S'wit. :colbert:

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
"I don't care, put a squid on your head or whatever." - House Telvanni

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Necroskowitz posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
It wouldn't be if it matched the rest of the armor! :argh:

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's how you know they be magical and poo poo yo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Necroskowitz posted:

Well we're a bunch of murderous, insane old wizards that live in mushrooms. We unashamedly keep slaves, we're racist as hell, and we even keep the most horrifying disease ever to exist in one of our basements. But we're just missing something, guys. I don't think the rest of Morrowind gets us yet.

...I'VE GOT IT! Let's have our guards wear cephalopods.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Necroskowitz posted:

considering how little fucks telvanni councilers give about the player, this seems about right

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Every time I join the Telvanni I end up systematically murdering all of them so I'm the only one left.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Poniard posted:

Every time I join the Telvanni I end up systematically murdering all of them so I'm the only one left.

I think that's what most of them were planning to do anyways, so you're good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Poniard posted:

You are now roleplaying optimally.

e;fb

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

financially racist posted:

considering how little fucks telvanni councilers give about the player, this seems about right

I think that's one of my favorite aspects of Morrowind, is how indifferent most NPCs are to the player (at best) and how outright hostile they are (at worst). It feels like in subsequent TES games, characters may exhibit a brief suspicion of you or your abilities, but it's usually remedied after accomplishing one or two remedial tasks. And that's not taking into consideration the times when they're doing everything they can to recruit you the first time you ever meet them.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I just reinstalled the game. I last became the Nerevarine only like 2 years ago. Uuuugh.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think that's one of my favorite aspects of Morrowind, is how indifferent most NPCs are to the player (at best) and how outright hostile they are (at worst). It feels like in subsequent TES games, characters may exhibit a brief suspicion of you or your abilities, but it's usually remedied after accomplishing one or two remedial tasks. And that's not taking into consideration the times when they're doing everything they can to recruit you the first time you ever meet them.

Helseth is the best at recruiting. "Oh, so you've killed all the assassins I've sent to murder you, and followed their tracks back to me. You're pretty good. Wanna work for me? I have some vacancies."

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I'm having a blast with my unarmed Redguard monk character. I can't believe it's taken me this long to try hand to hand combat. Combat overall takes longer to resolve but I'm able to jump in and start stunlocking n'wahs immediately. My unarmed skill went from 35 to 40 fighting just the very first rat I came across outside Sedya Neen. Pretty quickly after starting I came into possession of the Northern Belt of Knuck Knuck, which has a "damage fatigue 3-120 points on touch" enchantment and as you can imagine that's just perfect for my character. Combined with the Adrenaline Rush racial ability and a bottle of Mazte, my Strength, Agility, & Endurance get boosted to over 100 and then not much can stand up to my dude at that point, and he's only level 5 so far. Preaching to the choir here but Morrowind rules.

e: Are there any good clothing mods for whats essentially a wandering Shaolin monk?

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 18, 2017

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Even without buffs, once enemies go down they rarely get back up long enough to hit back again. It may take a while but you both know how it will end.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think that's one of my favorite aspects of Morrowind, is how indifferent most NPCs are to the player (at best) and how outright hostile they are (at worst).

Yeah, makes it all the more satisfying to claw your way to fame, fortune and respect.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Upmarket Mango posted:

I'm having a blast with my unarmed Redguard monk character. I can't believe it's taken me this long to try hand to hand combat. Combat overall takes longer to resolve but I'm able to jump in and start stunlocking n'wahs immediately. My unarmed skill went from 35 to 40 fighting just the very first rat I came across outside Sedya Neen. Pretty quickly after starting I came into possession of the Northern Belt of Knuck Knuck, which has a "damage fatigue 3-120 points on touch" enchantment and as you can imagine that's just perfect for my character. Combined with the Adrenaline Rush racial ability and a bottle of Mazte, my Strength, Agility, & Endurance get boosted to over 100 and then not much can stand up to my dude at that point, and he's only level 5 so far. Preaching to the choir here but Morrowind rules.

e: Are there any good clothing mods for whats essentially a wandering Shaolin monk?
If you've got the Morrowind Code patch there's not a ton of must have mods, because most of them were centered around avoiding the bug where the Unarmored skill only worked if you were wearing at least one piece of armor, which the MCP fixes.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 19, 2017

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I'm playing using OpenMW so no MCP for me. Idk if OpenMW fixes the bug but I just use a pair a cloth bracers anyway.

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
I downloaded Darknut's Little Weapons mod which someone suggested, but I'm getting an error on a couple weapons when they appear.

quote:

TES3Stream Warning: Model
"Meshes\w\W_Broadsword_Imperial.nif' tex not
found "TX_W_Imperial_Broadsword_Blade01.bmp'!

Continue Running Exacutable?

If I click yes the game keeps going, but if I try and equip the item the game hard crashes. It wouldn't be so bad, but I finally got my hands on Chrysamere and it's having a problem as well, so if anyone has any tips that would be great. I tried deleting the Darknut files with that item name to revert to defaults but no dice.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hi, I installed Morrowind... for the first time!

I'm new to TES and the remotely closest things I've ever played to it are Fallouts 1-3 and New Vegas. I didn't grow up on PCRPGs like a lot of people I know did. What are some general tips for a beginner like me? Someone linked this page and it seems pretty good. What are some recommended skills/classes/races to use or invest in? What are some that are kind of useless and should be avoided?

The first page in this thread has a ton of mods. I'm not really interested in the graphical overhaul mod, but are there any that gives me more resolutions and aspect ratios to use? I'm also interested in mods that shows item ownership (so I know when I'm stealing) and other such quality of life improvements. Fast travel would be nice too. Is there anything like that? I'm checking out the Chocolate Pack now.

I'm using the Steam version in Windows 10 64-bit. Do I need to reinstall it in a different directory? Do I need the 4GB patch?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Top two 'mod' recommendations are the Morrowind Code Patch and MGE-XE. The Code Patch fixes bugs and allows for a variety of quality-of-life improvements (like showing ownership). MGE-XE is used for additional resolutions/ratios, as well as viewable distant land if you don't want to rock distance fog like it's '02.

I'm not sure if there's any way to add fast travel like there is in any of the Fallouts; Morrowind has a collection of teleport spells to get you out of sticky situations, and transit networks between major cities. Going from town to a dungeon or quest objective is always done on foot.

General tips: Look for synergies in race/class mixes. Try to have a weapon skill above 50 at the start of the game. A Redguard favoring Long Blade is good for this. Custom classes are cool, and allow you to focus a bit tighter (you generally don't need as many weapon/armor skills as default classes come with).

Something I haven't seen other people mention much, but which I've found useful: The Fighters and Mages Guilds of each town have restocking supply chests, with a collection of handy potions, available for any members. They're also usually right next to each other in town and the Mages Guilds will teleport you between guildhalls. If you meet entry requirements (grab Mysticism as a class skill, it's good for those teleports, and then the Mages'll let you in), you can quickly teleport all across the island and grab like 80 potions.

Welcome to Morrowind.