Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Shortest Path posted:

Everything about this was absolutely wonderful (except the twitch chat), what did her record end up being?

2-3 so far, still live for day 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Marketing New Brain posted:

How are people throwing the game with affinity, isn't it one of the more linear decks outside of burn?

Not really, Ravager math and decision trees get really complicated.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

2-3 so far, still live for day 2!

2-4 now and dead :( Her goal was to be the youngest person to ever day 2 a GP, but the announce team thinks the record right now is held by a 10 year old, so she has another 3 years to reach that goal.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Lol caught that first match & what a treat. V heartwarming!

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dehtraen posted:

May have slotted into the UW flash deck with Reflector Mage and Smuggler's Copter, too. Probably in the Saheeli & Felidar Guardian decks as well

Now we're talking my time warping friend.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

How are people throwing the game with affinity, isn't it one of the more linear decks outside of burn?

There's a lot of little stuff that's easy to miss, and every point of damage matters. In my experience affinity has the most noticeable gap between new and experienced players out of any deck in modern.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Eternalize seems like such a weird mechanic when they just had Embalm and why a 4/4

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Affinity isn't easy to play, as someone outlined ravager math, knowing what hands are keepers and which ones are mulls, other stuff - there are some pretty complex decision trees. But that being said he had himself in clear situations where he didn't have complex ravager math, just stuff like "I will chump block with my creatures that can't be blocked by your creatures and also buff my team, but keep these 1/1 do nothings." Then he was just doing weird poo poo like not attacking for lethal over and over again. Or just not swinging with creatures but then not blocking with the same creature - almost like the creature wasn't even there. At one point he had some wacky board state with 3 of the two drop life link flyer and two arcbound ravagers and he just did jack poo poo, his opponent was stuck on two lands with a bunch of action in hand that he knew about and if he was able to draw out of it the affinity dude was toast. It he just sat there and didn't do anything. He also surgical'd a k-command and it was the perfect example of why surgical can be a terrible card. Both games he just lost to his strange plays.

The whole match was bizarre, even more so with the guy being undefeated.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Affinity is like an order of magnitude harder than burn to play decently. It's one of the most nuanced aggro decks in any format.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

That reminds me, does anyone know of a place to get a good, solid box for my cube? I'm not super in love with hauling a $13k cube around in a broken holiday box (and they're all broken.) I was thinking of trying to find a local carpenter and seeing if they can do something but it would be kind of hard to describe exactly what I want. If there's somewhere I could go online to find them that would be nice.

Some wine bottle boxes look like they would work if you want a wooden case, you could also line the inside with any color of fabic from a fabric store and they look awesome. How many cards is in your cube?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok. That invocation Choke looks pretty baller.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

That reminds me, does anyone know of a place to get a good, solid box for my cube? I'm not super in love with hauling a $13k cube around in a broken holiday box (and they're all broken.) I was thinking of trying to find a local carpenter and seeing if they can do something but it would be kind of hard to describe exactly what I want. If there's somewhere I could go online to find them that would be nice.

Could you just use a briefcase with some dividers in it? Comes with a convenient handle, for toting!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I forget if I posted this in here or not but:

Is anyone planning on going to champs in Pittsburgh in October?

TwistedNails posted:

Some wine bottle boxes look like they would work if you want a wooden case, you could also line the inside with any color of fabic from a fabric store and they look awesome. How many cards is in your cube?

Yeah, I'd definitely want it lined in felt or something.

It's around 540 but I've been bad about keeping it to an exact number lately. I also have a ton of tokens and a few flip cards, all the original conspiracies just in case anyone ever wants to use them, plus ~45 of each basic. All together probably over 1000. Minus the tokens, it all fits easily into a holiday box and I could probably fit the tokens in if I had a better setup. I keep the more expensive cards in another deck box separate from the rest of the cube to keep them from getting bent or from moving around too much.

ShaneB posted:

For 13k I'd seriously just get a pelican case with a solid lock. Preferably fireproof.

This is probably the best idea tbh. I'll have to look for something that would fit a giant pile of cards.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Another thought for a cube I'd use one or two of the Dex protection or Ultimate guard boxes that hold like 360 cards for the Dex and 400+ for the UG, they look very nice.

http://dexprotection.com/shop/storage-solutions/1717/game-chest/

http://www.ultimateguard.com/en/boxes-cases/arkhive/arkhive-400-xenoskin.html

Edit: I posted those before seeing the size of you cube. I'd do either a briefcase or a double wine box with a lining. That much value though like the other poster said you may want to look into something that locks and maybe even fireproof.

TwistedNails fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 18, 2017

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

lazerwolf posted:

Eternalize seems like such a weird mechanic when they just had Embalm and why a 4/4

It's basically megamorph again. They took an old mechanic, made it better, then had development come up with a lovely third way to do it.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I like eternalize and think it will play well in limited. A big problem with embalm is that when your dudes come back, they're still very small for the price and can't block well. Paying 5 for a 3/2 vigilance just doesn't stop the beats very well.

4/4s are almost never dead on board. I don't think it's the cleanest design ever but I'm excited to draft eternalize cards.

It reminds me of the cycle of flashbackers from Innistrad that were stronger on the flashback. I always thought those were neat.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 18, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

It's basically megamorph again. They took an old mechanic, made it better, then had development come up with a lovely third way to do it.

manifest was not better then morph, and i'd argue embalm is not better (but not worse) then unearth

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

manifest was not better then morph, and i'd argue embalm is not better (but not worse) then unearth

stupid name aside, and the fact that morph came first by like 15 years and was therefore much more innovative aside, I think megamorph has better gameplay than morph

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Paul Cheon had a win-and-in at the sealed GP Vegas, and lost it in this way:

Steve Rubin has Heaven//Earth in his graveyard, in a UG deck with only Forests and Islands in play.
Paul Cheon has a lethal amount of threats in play.
Steve Rubin draws Cascading Cataracts to filter mana into multiple red, allowing him to Aftermath Earth and wipe Cheon's field.

That's a pretty bad beat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

stupid name aside, and the fact that morph came first by like 15 years and was therefore much more innovative aside, I think megamorph has better gameplay than morph

What's your reasoning?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Elyv posted:

Just taken in a vacuum, they're the same thing. There's not a good reason Morph can't just add a counter to the creature. Or more counters, or whatever. It's not a criticism of Morph or Megamorph, just adds to the silliness of creating a new name.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I forget if I posted this in here or not but:

Is anyone planning on going to champs in Pittsburgh in October?

Yeah, I'd definitely want it lined in felt or something.

It's around 540 but I've been bad about keeping it to an exact number lately. I also have a ton of tokens and a few flip cards, all the original conspiracies just in case anyone ever wants to use them, plus ~45 of each basic. All together probably over 1000. Minus the tokens, it all fits easily into a holiday box and I could probably fit the tokens in if I had a better setup. I keep the more expensive cards in another deck box separate from the rest of the cube to keep them from getting bent or from moving around too much.

This is probably the best idea tbh. I'll have to look for something that would fit a giant pile of cards.

Ultra pro released this: http://www.miniaturemarket.com/upr86187.html?gclid=CL6kwKa6xtQCFddLDQod93kCVQ

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Don't buy the cub3.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

suicidesteve posted:

I mean, if you've got a $13k cube, these don't really seem that extravagant

edit: also this recent TCC video seems relevant for you.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 18, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

New LSV podcast? Or maybe he was giving feedback on someone else's project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaPmlYPKnk0&t=991s

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Whole lotta FNM players are about to get owned by Dreamstealer + Larger Than Life. Eternalize seems real overcosted on this card considering it's a rare.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

I like this a lot in BG constrictor decks. Put some counters on it, kill one of their dudes if they double block, and if they use a removal spell on it you get a two for one. It's also free value if you happen to hit it with grim flayer.

EDIT: It's pretty terrible against magma spray though.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 18, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Megamorph sucked because they painted themselves into a corner. You can see it in the R&D articles from that era. They said things like "Once we knew we were bringing morph back, we knew we had to do it differently in the second set, and then differently again in the third set because ~Creative~ wanted to show the effect different timelines had on the mechanic." And then as it went on it was, "So we tried a bunch of things, but they just didn't work, so we ended up with a +1/+1 counter."

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Whole lotta FNM players are about to get owned by Dreamstealer + Larger Than Life. Eternalize seems real overcosted on this card considering it's a rare.

I dunno, 6 mana for a dude that destroys your opponents hand every turn seems fine for me, especially since it doesn't cost you a card.

I think this dude is gonna be awesome.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Hellsau posted:

What do you think is a fair cost for a creature that can make your opponent discard 4 cards every time it isn't blocked?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

St0rmD posted:

What do you think is a fair cost for a creature that can make your opponent discard 4 cards every time it isn't blocked?

Considering the hopes you have to jump through to get it into the graveyard?

4 mana would be fair, I think

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the hoops of cards going to the graveyard isn't really a big hoop, as emrakul so kindly showed us, 6 mana is a fine cost

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

The hoops of playing a dude and then having it die

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Or having them not block it and discarding a card to it every turn.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

If you're attacking with a 4/4 Menace on turn 7+ and your opponent A) cannot block it and B) cannot kill it, your opponent isn't going to be discarding any cards because they clearly don't have anything in their hand. In draft this card is pretty great because it just forces your opponent to put a lot of work into ensuring it cannot get a hit in early and can force them into walking into pump spells due to Menace and getting destroyed, and then it comes back as an actual card later. In Standard I cannot see it being worth playing a 1/2 for 2B (which if it gets Magma Sprayed you spent a whole lot of mana and don't get the added value) and I don't see what your opponent's plan can be where the 1/2 is a big enough threat to justify playing a 9 mana 4/4 Menace. A 1/2 for three mana in standard is just extremely weak when your opponents are playing substantially better cards.

Unless you're giving it +4/+4 and trample and Mind Twisting your opponent on turn 4. Then it's pretty good.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

If you're attacking with a 4/4 Menace on turn 7+ and your opponent A) cannot block it and B) cannot kill it, your opponent isn't going to be discarding any cards because they clearly don't have anything in their hand. In draft this card is pretty great because it just forces your opponent to put a lot of work into ensuring it cannot get a hit in early and can force them into walking into pump spells due to Menace and getting destroyed, and then it comes back as an actual card later. In Standard I cannot see it being worth playing a 1/2 for 2B (which if it gets Magma Sprayed you spent a whole lot of mana and don't get the added value) and I don't see what your opponent's plan can be where the 1/2 is a big enough threat to justify playing a 9 mana 4/4 Menace. A 1/2 for three mana in standard is just extremely weak when your opponents are playing substantially better cards.

Unless you're giving it +4/+4 and trample and Mind Twisting your opponent on turn 4. Then it's pretty good.

Pretty much sums it up, card is going nowhere fast. Embalm has been pretty horrendous for constructed, I expect no different from Eternalize. I think they intended for Angel of Sanctions and possibly Honored Hydra to see constructed play, but the costs and stats just don't make them playable. Look at the 5 drops that see play right now, Avacyn, Green Gearhulk, and Glorybringer. Angel of Sanctions stacks up poorly against all of them, and doesn't even block a Heart of Kiran and half of the formats 2 and 3 drops.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BJPaskoff posted:

Megamorph sucked because they painted themselves into a corner.
I've always sort of wondered if Megamorph was supposed to have some connection to what ended up as Deathmist Raptor and they couldn't get it working. Morph is from hand, Manifest is from library, maybe they tried tinkering with something from the 'yard and never got it working right.

I mean 'megamorph' implies big morphs but I think most of the stuff in dragons actually ends up as smaller creatures than morph on average.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Spiderdrake posted:

I've always sort of wondered if Megamorph was supposed to have some connection to what ended up as Deathmist Raptor and they couldn't get it working. Morph is from hand, Manifest is from library, maybe they tried tinkering with something from the 'yard and never got it working right.

I mean 'megamorph' implies big morphs but I think most of the stuff in dragons actually ends up as smaller creatures than morph on average.

TBH for me the biggest problem with megamorph was the absolutely terrible name, and apparently their research showed most players felt the same. It's not a bad mechanic but uhh, it's the laziest possible name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hellsau posted:

Don't buy the cub3.

Are they bad? Friend just got one for millennium blades and it seems ok so far.