Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You did it! You did it! You broke the Geneforge LP curse despite illness, the slog of the game, and the temptation of strawberry jam!

POOL IS CLOSED, congratulations, and thank you so much. This is a pleasure to read, and I finally got to see how this game ends. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm going to (try to) post all the endings I know of for G1, since there are so many.

I must admit that 2 isn't my favorite in the series, but we will see why when the time comes.
Really? I actually love 2. Though part of it is because it is *significantly* less punishing to play than 1 simply because you have far more options available to you.

For the endings, I can think of at least six different ones off the top of my head, though there might even be 1-2 more than that.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

You should've seen the rough draft for real ultimate murder! :black101:

Thank you guys for taking part.

Now I'm trying to decide if I'll LP G2 next or if I'll do a different Spiderweb game in the meantime.

I hope you move onto G2, it's such an improvement in so many ways to the first one. A little harder to brute force, too!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Thank you for the wonderful LP.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

That was a great LP. Thanks for showing off the game.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

this little world of surprisingly deep and nuanced RPGs written by some particular guy that you and other LPers have introduced me to is one of my favorite things to come out of this subforum for me. i hope you keep going with this story as far as its been written :unsmith: thanks for doing an LP :unsmith:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

idonotlikepeas posted:

After Gene-Reforging (with apologies to Robert Frost)

My fyora friends are waiting on the shore
Not dead as such,
And there's a power that I didn't touch
Gone to dust, and there may be one or more
Lost canisters I didn't spot somehow.
But I am done with gene-reforging now.
Essence of freedom flies upon the air
The lure of power: I leave it behind.
But I can't tear my thoughts away from there
What I did find when opening a tin
That gave new strength in body and in mind,
Remade my self both without and within
Made of me both Problem and Solution,
But I am well
And at least most of me survived to tell,
How Shapers fell
Their triumph and final resolution.
Our breath-blessed tools are made and made again,
Claws and teeth and red flame,
Drawn out as if by some beast-trailing pen
I fear my spirit faces dilution,
The impression of a dozen others
I will remember each and every name
Of those that I have made and those unmade
Without mothers
The bone and flesh I knit to give me aid
But I have had too much
Of gene-reforging: I am overtired
Of all the powers I myself desired.
To always know without knowing as such
To feel this creeping madness in my mind
To find
That life and death
Meant less to me than once they might have done
And always fated now to author strife
To still their breath
To ever lose even when I have won
This life I'll seek, whatever Shape it takes
Will serve me well
Whether a hero's, clown's, a fool's, or rake's
I long, as one who's plumbed the depths of hell
For just a human life.

This was near the end of the last page and people oughtta see it!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

vdate posted:

For whatever reason, it elevated the ending sequence to just about my favourite in gaming, and I'll always remember the last line - 'You can not unring a bell.'

That's worth noticing. A lot of RPGs either end with "yep, everything's back to normal, nothing to see here" or "well, we blew up like 90% of the world at the end of Act 2 but the survivors aren't completely screwed, and more importantly, our viewpoint characters had some personal growth".

This isn't about saving the world. The main character is a cipher. If the PC fails, the result is a vicious and terrible war, but not a pointless one. But the PC's intervention is what lets her shape the future. And given what was hidden there, that cannot remain static.

This isn't the Monomyth. Balance is not restored. The whole point is that it can't be.

---

Also, thinking about it, much of this game is about botched first contacts. Between Solution and the servile villages; between the various factions of the Sholai and the Shapers' civilization; between the Sholai and individual Shapers. In that light, Solution being selected as the first formal envoy of Shaper civilization to the Sholai is her greatest vindication.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Thanks for this amazing LP and one of the deepest RPg's I have ever seen. Great to bea part of it! And SOlution has her destiny. For better or worse, she chose it and made her own path.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The only Geneforge game that didn't catch me was 3, personally. And I haven't dove into 5 yet, because I marathoned through 1 and 2, got about halfway through 3 before giving it up, then marathoned 4, so I was a bit burnt out by the time I got to 5.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ManxomeBromide posted:

That's worth noticing. A lot of RPGs either end with "yep, everything's back to normal, nothing to see here" or "well, we blew up like 90% of the world at the end of Act 2 but the survivors aren't completely screwed, and more importantly, our viewpoint characters had some personal growth".

This isn't about saving the world. The main character is a cipher. If the PC fails, the result is a vicious and terrible war, but not a pointless one. But the PC's intervention is what lets her shape the future. And given what was hidden there, that cannot remain static.

This isn't the Monomyth. Balance is not restored. The whole point is that it can't be.

---

Also, thinking about it, much of this game is about botched first contacts. Between Solution and the servile villages; between the various factions of the Sholai and the Shapers' civilization; between the Sholai and individual Shapers. In that light, Solution being selected as the first formal envoy of Shaper civilization to the Sholai is her greatest vindication.

Yeah, this is... a story where you don't have to matter, but you do. And a pretty big part of that is down to the wrapup. If what you did was going to have lasting consequences they'd play out over a much longer period than the game you could see. A good wrapup will sell you on the consequences far down the line.

The Awakened... I don't know if Shapers could accept them, honestly. Sucia is never going to be a friendly place and it may or may not get worse depending on how the wastes and pollution spread, or if Solution managed to stick enough apocalypse-shaped corks in their corresponding apocalypse-shaped holes. But their freedom was the most important thing to them, and they kept it. Perhaps they also have some things worth hoping for.

I hate to say it but I think the Obeyers were the most revolutionary thing the Shapers could accept - servitude which was only technically not unconditional, in that they were aware other options existed. On balance I think the world is a little kinder because of them.

And the Sholai got a second chance to meet the Shapers and made it count this time. We don't hear a lot about what mistrusts and derisions there may be, or how easy the peace is, but they accept Solution without a lot of resentment, and it seems like Solution might feel more at home there. The only Sholai who know much about the Geneforge are fellow veterans without a lot of the Shaper background.

But overall, yeah, the ending does a great job of selling all the consequences you can see and setting up the idea there will be more coming.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The Shapers who went after us to clean things up took care of them!

Probably!

Look, little RickVoid is happy on that farm now. Creations love being outside. They can play out there! Hunt ornks! Run free!

My Little Artilla helped Solution get home. That's good enough for me. :unsmith:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Congrats on finishing the main part of the LP, POOL IS CLOSED. :cheers:

It was an awesome ride.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Thank you for an excellent LP, POOL IS CLOSED. I really think your writing helped make the setting come to life. Granted, Geneforge has more writing to it than the Exile series, but your effort Solution a character rather than a cipher. A character who is both relatable and plausible for the setting, no less.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Agreed -- congratulations on breaking the curse on one of my all-time favourite games, and on doing it in such an impressive way! I absolutely love the Geneforge series, and will recommend it to my friends 'till I'm blue in the face: it takes the moral choices that other CRPGs throw at you and makes them less about maximising a Good or Evil meter and more about genuine moral dilemmas.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Good LP, looking forward to Geoforge 2, mostly because that's the only Spiderweb game I haven't played / seen LP'd.

(Well, maybe Nethergate and the original Avernums, but I understand those were forgotten for a reason)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Good LP, looking forward to Geoforge 2, mostly because that's the only Spiderweb game I haven't played / seen LP'd.

(Well, maybe Nethergate and the original Avernums, but I understand those were forgotten for a reason)
The original Avernums were forgotten because they were almost exactly the same as the Exile series. You had 4 PCs instead of 6 (not really a positive) and the word "Exile" was find-and-replaced by "Avernum", but otherwise the game was virtually identical, it just worked on newer PCs. So they don't really stick out. The newest remakes (e.g., Avernum: Escape from the Pit) at least feel a bit different because the entire skill system was rebuilt from the ground up in a Diablo 2-esque skill tree.

Nethergate just was kinda awkward all over. It was a standalone game, so it didn't get nearly the usual build-out in terms of story. It let you see the entire game/story from either side of the conflict, which was cool, but resulted in the game being notably shorter than usual spidweb games so it's kinda short on truly memorable moments. The game itself is fairly engaging and fun to play, so I'd definitely recommend checking it out (the remade "Resurrection" version, more specifically), it's just not very memorable. Solid-but-unspectacular is probably the best description I can give you.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Aww crap, I missed the vote! And I was totally going to vote power murder! I would love to see how the ending would've played out if we had gone down that path, assuming you had it written out.

Regardless, thank you for the read. I didn't pick up Geneforge until a few years back, but I remember playing Exile 3 since I was 14. These games are something special, and they scratch a very real itch. Having some proper characterization for our protagonist helps patch up one of the few big problems with the game. It's one thing to make moral choices, but it's another to have a character live those choices. That's what you did, you brought Solution to life.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I enjoyed this LP, and am looking forward to your next, POOL IS CLOSED, whichever it might be.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

In addition to what MagusOfStars said, the first Avernums were also pretty awkward from an engine standpoint. They were Vogel's first isomorphic 3D games, and it's clear he hadn't figured out stuff like how to make combat engaging with bigger arenas (for example, all AoE spells got replaced by simple multitargeted bolt spells, like the Death Arrows spell in Exile), how to handle hills (which were constantly making it hard to tell which tiles were adjacent to which), how to handle line-of-sight, etc. There were some odd choices in the skill system as well: you could find "hidden" skills which, once found, could be trained in like any other skill. These included one skill that made literally all of your spells better, and another that gave melee attacks against humanoid targets a huge damage boost. If you knew the skills existed, you'd want to hoard skillpoints for them; if you didn't, you'd be kicking yourself when you unlocked them.

Basically, it's a degraded copy of Exile with prototypes of some functionality that would get refined in the Geneforge series and later reremakes. If you want the Exile experience, play Exile. If you want the smoother UI, play the reremakes.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Huh, three Spiderweb Software games have their LPs finished already this year.

Not bad at all!

I suppose it also goes to show just how popular these games really are that people will make multiple attempts at them, despite previous failures. Vogel should be proud of his fanbase.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Basically, it's a degraded copy of Exile with prototypes of some functionality that would get refined in the Geneforge series and later reremakes. If you want the Exile experience, play Exile. If you want the smoother UI, play the reremakes.
This is right on the money. That said, the second trilogy of 4-6 has a well-received continuation and conclusion of the storyline and had most of the mechanical awkwardness with smoothed out since he was building them from scratch (especially in 5 and 6, which introduced a lot of interesting new battle mechanics). So if you've never seen 4-6, they're definitely worth playing - particularly since there won't be any remakes of those for at least 5 years, if not more.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Congrats on making it all the way through this monster of a game to LP! Looking forward to the other endings.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I have to admit, I was just skimming your posts after a while, not paying attention to the images, which just blurred together for me. The writing, however, both yours and the game's, was fun to read!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, what a great LP this has been. And somehow we landed on the upbeat, happy ending first time around? How nice.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I enjoyed this LP, hope you do the sequel!

We never did see any drayks though.

Can I ask about the hint you dropped about my little fyora coming back?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Man, what a great LP this has been. And somehow we landed on the upbeat, happy ending first time around? How nice.

iirc most of the endings are surprisingly upbeat, for given values of 'upbeat'. I think you only get a so-called 'bad ending' if you do the fairly obvious stupid thing (which in this case is 'gently caress this, I'm outta here', fight your way through the Sholai at the dock, and just bail before resolving anything at all)?

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

vdate posted:

iirc most of the endings are surprisingly upbeat, for given values of 'upbeat'. I think you only get a so-called 'bad ending' if you do the fairly obvious stupid thing (which in this case is 'gently caress this, I'm outta here', fight your way through the Sholai at the dock, and just bail before resolving anything at all)?

No, you also get bad endings if you do the other stupid things of letting Goettsch use the GF or using the GF, then leaving it intact for others to use.

edit: But yeah, 'surprisingly upbeat' describes most of the endings in GF1. Of the other GF game endings I know of, I'd say only one ending in 5 qualifies. The rest tend to have various fitting/plausible bad parts included.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 19, 2017

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In addition to what MagusOfStars said, the first Avernums were also pretty awkward from an engine standpoint. They were Vogel's first isomorphic 3D games, and it's clear he hadn't figured out stuff like how to make combat engaging with bigger arenas (for example, all AoE spells got replaced by simple multitargeted bolt spells, like the Death Arrows spell in Exile), how to handle hills (which were constantly making it hard to tell which tiles were adjacent to which), how to handle line-of-sight, etc. There were some odd choices in the skill system as well: you could find "hidden" skills which, once found, could be trained in like any other skill. These included one skill that made literally all of your spells better, and another that gave melee attacks against humanoid targets a huge damage boost. If you knew the skills existed, you'd want to hoard skillpoints for them; if you didn't, you'd be kicking yourself when you unlocked them.

Oh, I just remembered that I also played SubTerra, a Boulder Dash inspired puzzle game that Spiderweb made. You can get it for free now.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I enjoyed this LP, hope you do the sequel!

We never did see any drayks though.

Can I ask about the hint you dropped about my little fyora coming back?

You'll have to jog my memory!

I did add drayks to the party for the extra content, so we will probably have a look at that in a day or two.

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
Thanks a bunch for the LP, Pool. It was a fascinating read and ended on a compelling ending.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Found this LP a few days ago and read through the whole thing. Great job POOL IS CLOSED! The second-person narration works really well for this game.

Honestly the Shapers seem pretty benign from how they act in the end towards Solution! I was expecting them to execute her for tresspassing/Knowing That Which Should Not Be Known/killing Goettsch/because they're evil but they pretty much just made her swear not to tell anybody and then let her live her life. For all the "Oh no, look at what the terrible Shaper arts have wrought!" on that island, the modern Shapers seem pretty laid back.

MuffiTuffiWuffi fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 20, 2017

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
That's one of the interesting things about the Shapers: they actually learn from past mistakes and improve their treatment of creations over time. A more conventional CRPG might've made them into obvious villains, but things aren't quite so clear-cut. Now as later GF games will show, they don't exactly stop having careless and/or over-ambitious Shapers causing problems, but they actually have protocols in place for minimizing and dealing with gently caress-ups. Those protocols don't work all the time, but the Shapers have a fairly good success rate with "seal away the problem, and have it actually *stop* being a problem that way". Which also serves the doylist purpose of providing optional dungeons that are dangerous to venture into, but not a problem for the surrounding countryside.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In general, pretty much every group you meet in Geneforge seems to have plenty of texture to them.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
So yeah....

Good job everyone, by not using the Geneforge we got a bad ending for our Awakened buddies.

Hope yer happy :colbert:

Best ending is hilariously enough siding with Trajkov, YMMV. And yes, the Geneforge ending would have actually been a good ending for the Awakened.

Though to be fair the ending we picked IS the cannon ending (or as close to cannon as one can get, since no G1 ending entirely matches up with the sequels), which means we should dive straight into G2 :downs:

A fun bit about the Geneforge ending - You get some interesting reactions going back to the various important npcs. The Obeyers' in particular is VERY interesting.

The talk in question made me respect the Obeyers, even if I don't entirely agree with their philosophy.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 21, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
We will definitely see all that and more. :murder: Just taking a brief break while I kick work back into shape.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

We will definitely see all that and more. :murder: Just taking a brief break while I kick work back into shape.

Oh, you want me to remove my post?

eh, I'll edit it just in case if you want it to be a surprise.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

mauman posted:

Nah don't worry about it!

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

mauman posted:

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Nah don't worry about it!

I don't know what the outcome you're talking about is, but to be fair, I think that "respected but kinda scary Shaper" makes for more interesting future story anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I don't know what the outcome you're talking about is, but to be fair, I think that "respected but kinda scary Shaper" makes for more interesting future story anyway.

Then prepare to be disappointed if Pool ever starts a G2 LP.

Unless SHE radically changes the story I suppose.

Edit - Whoops.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 21, 2017

• Locked thread