Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Deltasquid posted:

I bought BG2:EE ages ago but never played it. Never played BG2, as a matter of fact. So I decided to try it out.

I'm currently early on in Chapter II and need to amass cash. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the options I have. I got my rear end trounced by the unseeing eye quest, with the beholders and poo poo, when I tried it out on release. I suppose Keldorn isn't meant to be an initial party member, then?

I currently have my protagonist (half-elf ranger/cleric), Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo and Anomen. I feel like I need to pick up a spellcaster but I'm not sure who or where. Neera?

Basically, any pointers along the lines of "these are some good quests to get you started out" would help me.

Go to the docks district and explore – you'll come across a thief that'll invite you in to a building. Follow that quest line and you get the best caster in the game.

Also travelling between the districts in Athkatla will trigger a quest – you'll be ambushed and you get good XP from following up on that quest line.

Fully exploring the copper coronet, as well as underneath the copper coronet, is a good place to start too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Deltasquid posted:

I bought BG2:EE ages ago but never played it. Never played BG2, as a matter of fact. So I decided to try it out.

I'm currently early on in Chapter II and need to amass cash. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the options I have. I got my rear end trounced by the unseeing eye quest, with the beholders and poo poo, when I tried it out on release. I suppose Keldorn isn't meant to be an initial party member, then?

I currently have my protagonist (half-elf ranger/cleric), Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo and Anomen. I feel like I need to pick up a spellcaster but I'm not sure who or where. Neera?

Basically, any pointers along the lines of "these are some good quests to get you started out" would help me.

I usually wait until later levels to do the unseeing eye quest. Once you have enough cash you can buy a shield from a vendor that makes beholders a cake walk.

I would pick up Nalia from the Copper Coronet. She will work fine as your spellcaster if you don't want the hassle of reloading every time Neera hits a bad wild surge, she will probably be a hand full for a first timer. Nalia's quest is also built for starting level characters. Go free her lands from invaders for some decent gear and a few levels.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Deltasquid posted:

Trade Meet, Ulmar Hills and De'Arnise Keep are the other good starter quests. I would do De'Arnise Keep first, because you get it from Nalia and she's a mage, though you don't need to have her in the party to do it if you want Neera instead, just remember to stock up on ways of dealing flame and acid damage. Nalia is in the same bar you got Anomen from, not sure where Neera is.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You can start the unseeing eye quest just to collect Keldorn and put it off until later, he won't complain about it. He will complain about visiting his family though, but that quest is short and easy.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Wow that's a lot of fast replies. thanks! I didn't realize Nalia was a mage. I'll see about picking her up soonish.

EDIT: I should make clear I did play BG:EE until you reach the titular city, so I am acquainted with the mechanics and Neera's... randomness. :v:

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 17, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Deltasquid posted:

Wow that's a lot of fast replies. thanks! I didn't realize Nalia was a mage. I'll see about picking her up soonish.

EDIT: I should make clear I did play BG:EE until you reach the titular city, so I am acquainted with the mechanics and Neera's... randomness. :v:

Did you do the circus quest? It's designed for low levels and has what's arguably the most powerful mage and also arguably the most annoying character in the game. Make a separate save before you go in because you can't get out until you finish it. It's the big circus tent in the Market (the first map after you leave Irenicus' dungeon), so it's kinda easy to miss.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Buy the Shield of Balduran from that shop in waukeens promenade and beholders are not a problem anymore. It reflects their rays back at them. The shield costs quite a bit but it's worth it, it's the only way of dealing with beholders that isn't slow or frustrating or both

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Deltasquid posted:

If you haven't poked your head into the circus tent in the Promenade, checking that out would be worth your while

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The playhouse under the Five Flagons is another good one. Go to the Bridge, then the Five Flagons inn, then head downstairs. Also nets you one of the more powerful NPCs in the game if you're willing to micro him.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Aight, cool. I seemed to remember the circus tent had some sort of difficult enemies like astral enemies or djinns or whatnot but I'll check it out.

I'm currently clearing out hobgoblins under the Copper Coronet. god drat, does every inn have unspeakable evil in their basement? :v:

How much time do you get, more or less, before companions start complaining about their quests? I picked up Nalia before diving into the basement and I'd like to know how many rests I can take before I should go do her thing. Nalia really feels like a budget Imoen, by the way. Is she voiced by the same actress? They even sound similar.

EDIT: Nalia's stats are better across the board than Neera's. :psyduck:

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 18, 2017

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Imoen is slightly better compared to nalia but it doesn't matter much. They are both a bit annoying but Imoen has more unique dialogue in the latter stages of the game and the expansion.

I believe you can just infinitely postpone nalias quest, or else just start it by going there and then leave immediately. However, I would suggest doing that quest early for one of the best weapons in the game (if you can use flails).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
There's some great early quests, like the circus, taking down the slave pits in the Copper Coronet (plus the slavers compound), the rogue stronghold is pretty easy (except for the mage part) and has great rewards, the adventurers group in the 7 valleys inn in the Waukeen Promenade if you feel confident in your cheese abilities and Trademeet is pretty easy as well.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The only really hard part of the Umar Hills is the optional boss, as well, and you get the ranger stronghold there. Good place to go for your first trip outside the city.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Well, I'm a ranger/cleric so I'm not sure if that qualifies me for a cleric stronghold or a ranger one. Or both?

How do you start the slaver pits quest? I talked around in the copper coronet but the dialogue seemed to imply I can bet on the fights or join them, but I didn't have any option along the lines of "how awful! I'll put an end to this!"

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Talk to the owner and say you're interested in "other" kinds of entertainment and he'll give you access to the back rooms.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Deltasquid posted:

Well, I'm a ranger/cleric so I'm not sure if that qualifies me for a cleric stronghold or a ranger one. Or both?

How do you start the slaver pits quest? I talked around in the copper coronet but the dialogue seemed to imply I can bet on the fights or join them, but I didn't have any option along the lines of "how awful! I'll put an end to this!"

Unless you install a mod, you can have either the cleric or the ranger stronghold but not both. Getting one will lock you out of getting the other one. (IMO the ranger stronghold is more interesting than the cleric one, for what it's worth)

Talk to Lehtinan, the sleazy guy behind the bar. Ask him about "other" kinds of entertainment until he lets you into the back rooms.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Oh yeah I have access to the back rooms. I just didn't see an option that would fit a lawful good character in there. Or am I supposed to just attack the NPC's in there and clear out the den via murder? :v:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Deltasquid posted:

Oh yeah I have access to the back rooms. I just didn't see an option that would fit a lawful good character in there. Or am I supposed to just attack the NPC's in there and clear out the den via murder? :v:

Go to the cells in the back and talk to Hendak, he will tell you how to do free them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deltasquid posted:

Both, you'll get whichever one you do first. Ranger stronghold is from the Umar Hills, cleric is from going to the temple district and the quest to investigate the sewers.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ranger and cleric strongholds are both decent but I'd recommend the cleric one because it's much more conveniently located.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Haven't had a lot of time to play lately but I am currently in D'Arnise keep. Nalia is hilarious.

"FUR THE NEEDY!!" :byodood:

Do you guys want me to livestream my thoughts as I go through this? I imagine not a lot of first-timers to BG II come into this thread.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I've had an itching lately to solo BG2 with the classic power gamer character, the kensai/mage, since I've never done that before but how exactly do you survive as a solo kensai early on, let alone to level 13 (when it is most ideal to dual class) without armor and stuff?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've never soloed a Kensai/Mage before so can't speak for them, but I know that a Berserker -> Mage is superior to them in most meaningful ways if you're looking to powergame.

Edit: Also should make for a much more pleasant experience in BG1 where you can actually wear armour.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I have to pipe in that my favorite char so far has been a Shadowdancer->Cleric. I maxed Hide and Sneak before dualing and as a result had a Cleric that could vanish at-will while leading a horde of Skeleton Warriors around for most of the game. Also solves the support-role issue for Thieves and Clerics in one character.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i'll second that berserker mage is better than kensai mage

it's a question of "immune to everything for a minute" vs very slightly better defenses/hit rating and 10 second damage boosts

anyone can do great damage, then a demilich imprisons you and you wish you had berserker rage

e: oh if this is for solo it would be much easier to go sorcerer, and 100000% easier if you weren't on BG2EE because BG2EE fixed project image breaking the summoning cap and made wish not restore simulacrum

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
IMO any "strongest" character in BG needs access to Arcane spells for Spell Immunity: Abjuration to protect from dispels + remove magic and for spell protections. It's all well and good having lots of nice buffs but the second they're stripped away from you you're toast. My vote would probably be for:

– Sorcerer
– Cleric/Mage
– Fighter/Mage variant (Dual or Multi)
– Wild Mage (without EE Installed)

I never play solo though so can't really vouch for them in that context. Also the spamming of dispel/remove magic thing might be an SCS tweak, it's been so long since I played vanilla I can't remember.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

comedy option

inquisitor with carsomyr and vhailor's helm if you really like the loop of dispel magic->hit with massive sword

it's really loving good though lol

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What makes the Inquisitor better than a Cavalier with Carsomyr?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Carsomyr's dispel on hit will not break through the protection from magical weapons spell.

The Inquisitor's dispel will breach PFMW but will not break Spell Immunity: Abjuration.

If a mage casts SI: Abjuration + PFMW the inquisitor will be hosed with a capital F.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It can also be cast from the sword up to 3/day, not just on hit.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

Carsomyr's dispel on hit will not break through the protection from magical weapons spell.

The Inquisitor's dispel will breach PFMW but will not break Spell Immunity: Abjuration.

If a mage casts SI: Abjuration + PFMW the inquisitor will be hosed with a capital F.

SI abjuration isn't cast by enemies in the base game or in the EE

all it means with SCS is you have to do a little dance before you can hit them, which is par for the SCS course

Kavak posted:

What makes the Inquisitor better than a Cavalier with Carsomyr?

inquisitor casts dispel magic at twice their level

quote:

The chance of the dispel succeeding is determined by the level of the caster and the level of the magic being dispelled. The base chance of successfully dispelling is 50%. For every level that the caster of the Dispel Magic is above the original caster, his chance of success increases by 5%. For every level that the caster of Dispel Magic is below the original caster, his chance of success decreases by 10%

mbt fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 22, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kavak posted:

It can also be cast from the sword up to 3/day, not just on hit.

The Dispel casts at level 15 - good for SoA but nowhere near good enough for ToB.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Entropy238 posted:

I've never soloed a Kensai/Mage before so can't speak for them, but I know that a Berserker -> Mage is superior to them in most meaningful ways if you're looking to powergame.

Yeah, I'm playing a Berserker>Mage right now and woah it is just stupid powerful. Enrage is crazy just press a button and "oh hello mr. demilich now you can't do poo poo to me now give me your ring you nerd." The ability is even nicer in BG1 because the +15 HP is doubling your health at low levels.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

The Dispel casts at level 15 - good for SoA but nowhere near good enough for ToB.

Huh, thought it was the same as the level 30 strike from the sword.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kavak posted:

Huh, thought it was the same as the level 30 strike from the sword.

Alas, that is not the case:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I might've been playing with a mod that levelled it up or just forgot it then.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

I'm currently clearing out hobgoblins under the Copper Coronet. god drat, does every inn have unspeakable evil in their basement? :v:

Yes. Yes they do. Or upstairs, if there isn't a basement.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How are you liking the game, Deltasquid? Does it still hold up without the nostalgia factor?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It has a lot of good parts but in the end it's a D&D 2e game. That means a lot of whiffing and absolutely arcane spell and equipment combinations that are second nature to long-time veterans but I wouldn't know of without a guide. If you don't know what you're doing you can absolutely cripple your character, and if you're a powergamer you can break it over your knee.

Outside of that I think it's a fun RPG with interesting characters and some cool ideas. I did have to use a portrait pack though. The weird uncanny valley late 90's photoshops just aren't doing it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Mr. Neutron posted:

I've had an itching lately to solo BG2 with the classic power gamer character, the kensai/mage, since I've never done that before but how exactly do you survive as a solo kensai early on, let alone to level 13 (when it is most ideal to dual class) without armor and stuff?

Don't go to 13, that's insane. Just go to 9. And the amulet of shielding is your friend. You can sell and rebuy it to renew the charges.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 22, 2017