Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I feel like this has the potential to be extremely cool (or a gigantic mess of concepts), but I'm in a long term campaign in the traditional setting so I wouldn't be able to get to this anytime soon. If anyone picks it up I'd love to hear their impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Listed property costs in the companion ...is that per month or total purchase price?

I don't know if you meant Insupposable Instruments, but that pdf was just updated to make the prices far, far more reasonable.

For reference:

version 1

version 2

This looks cool as hell and I'll check it out soon.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I bought it and I've just skimmed over it so far. I feel like they have some neat ideas for monsters, although a ton of them are at the same CR so it doesn't feel like there's a ton of variety. The paths seem interesting, and I really enjoy the concept the have going for Wu Jen, but I'm nowhere near good enough to know how they are balance-wise. My main complaint is that the PDF is just super fuckin' busy, it's almost on the level of old White Wolf products in terms of poo poo they throw into the layout. All things considered that's a minor complaint, and I haven't done enough of a deep dive to see how they handle the source material, but I think it's worthwhile to mine for ideas.

Also has Schwalb said anything about when we're getting the water/air equivalents to the Salamanders / Gnomes, that I can't remember the name for? I need some water-themed things for a campaign I'm working on.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Got to say, some of the art in this is really stupid - the Demon in the bestiary section for instance.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Darksaber posted:

Also has Schwalb said anything about when we're getting the water/air equivalents to the Salamanders / Gnomes, that I can't remember the name for? I need some water-themed things for a campaign I'm working on.

Pretty sure it was said that the undine are going to be in the upcoming Freeport supplement.

E: confirmed, playable undine in the Freeport Companion.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 17, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Angrymog posted:

Got to say, some of the art in this is really stupid - the Demon in the bestiary section for instance.

I don't really get what they were going for in that picture. It's dumb.

"Let's have a big demon and then... chain a naked woman to its crotch"?

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 17, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Gort posted:

I don't really get what they were going for in that picture. It's dumb.

"Let's have a big demon and then... chain a naked woman to its crotch"?

It's a jock thing.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Serf posted:

I don't know if you meant Insupposable Instruments, but that pdf was just updated to make the prices far, far more reasonable.

For reference:

version 1

version 2

Jesus christ.

Makes you wonder how that first version even made it out the door.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Jesus christ.

Makes you wonder how that first version even made it out the door.

It's easy!

Step 1: create prices for fantasy game, cut some info from core book
Step 2: create level of currency lower than your previous lowest level
Step 3: include old info in later supplement by accident

Like, the original chart would be very logical to anybody raised on D&D prices, making it even harder to spot in editing and proofreading.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Played another game of this last night. My players are up to level 2 now, and it feels like they can actually convincingly win a fight now, after levels 0 and 1 being just "survive this godawful poo poo somehow". The warrior and rogue pretty much just roll attacks each round within that fight though - there are special moves you can do for melee and ranged, but none seem worth giving up your only boon for. I've suggested that they pick up some magic in their level 3 paths so they can get some limited-use abilities.

It kinda feels like the game mandates a magical healer, though. We have a three-person party - rogue, warrior and priest of the maiden of the moon. The priest path forfeits the "heal another character" power that's built into normal priests in favour of regaining some spells, but the priest doesn't have the life tradition. This means the party has only their "heal themselves for a quarter HP" powers, once per rest, to heal themselves, which in turn means that absent any time limitations they pretty much need to rest after two encounters. This isn't really ideal, I prefer to avoid such short adventuring days.

Maybe I'll do a house rule where you get to heal for your healing rate after each fight or something, just to give the game a bit more momentum. It feels wrong to be butting up against the "You can only rest once per 24 hour period" rule all the time - the party are pretty much at the point of replying "Well, we'll just rest for 48 hours straight then".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Angrymog posted:

I can't decide if the Wizard picture rules or is the worst.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Gort posted:

Played another game of this last night. My players are up to level 2 now, and it feels like they can actually convincingly win a fight now, after levels 0 and 1 being just "survive this godawful poo poo somehow". The warrior and rogue pretty much just roll attacks each round within that fight though - there are special moves you can do for melee and ranged, but none seem worth giving up your only boon for. I've suggested that they pick up some magic in their level 3 paths so they can get some limited-use abilities.

It kinda feels like the game mandates a magical healer, though. We have a three-person party - rogue, warrior and priest of the maiden of the moon. The priest path forfeits the "heal another character" power that's built into normal priests in favour of regaining some spells, but the priest doesn't have the life tradition. This means the party has only their "heal themselves for a quarter HP" powers, once per rest, to heal themselves, which in turn means that absent any time limitations they pretty much need to rest after two encounters. This isn't really ideal, I prefer to avoid such short adventuring days.

Maybe I'll do a house rule where you get to heal for your healing rate after each fight or something, just to give the game a bit more momentum. It feels wrong to be butting up against the "You can only rest once per 24 hour period" rule all the time - the party are pretty much at the point of replying "Well, we'll just rest for 48 hours straight then".

This is a rule from Forbidden Rules, under Variant Healing. It's called Regroup, and it allows you to take 10 minutes to rest and recuperate and heal equal to your Healing Rate. It's a rule that I'm strongly considering making baseline for my games. (Also you can rest twice per 24 hours technically, as if you extend your resting to a full 24 hours you heal twice your Healing Rate).

As for your first point about special attacks, I've seen players start to realize how good they are after a while. We just had a game where players used the Unbalancing Attack to knock an enemy down and start giving other melee attackers 1 boon. I think the game kinda expects warriors and rogues to sacrifice those boons to start forcing enemies into disadvantageous positions for the rest of the party.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be running the 0-level adventure A Year Without Rain this next Thursday, June 22nd at 7:00 PM EST. Again looking to take a max of 6 players through it, if you played in last week's adventure you're more than welcome to come to this one too, and the game is newbie-friendly. Really just working on getting people into trying the game out. The week after that I'll be running a 1st-level adventure, but after that I'm gonna look at running more 0- and 1st-level adventures at different times to fit other people's schedules. You can always drop me a line over in the Discord to let me know times that would work better for you or if you just wanna discuss the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RagnarokAngel posted:

I can't decide if the Wizard picture rules or is the worst.

It is the best picture for showing why wizards are the worst.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

It's a tossup for me with this one.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's not a pony so I'm unconvinced.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Serf posted:

As for your first point about special attacks, I've seen players start to realize how good they are after a while. We just had a game where players used the Unbalancing Attack to knock an enemy down and start giving other melee attackers 1 boon. I think the game kinda expects warriors and rogues to sacrifice those boons to start forcing enemies into disadvantageous positions for the rest of the party.

Yeah, I could see this maybe. However, our party is only three, and of those there is only one full-time melee attacker (the priest uses his sword when he's out of spells, basically) so that doesn't particularly work for us given that the enemy can just stand up as their move on their turn.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gort posted:

Yeah, I could see this maybe. However, our party is only three, and of those there is only one full-time melee attacker (the priest uses his sword when he's out of spells, basically) so that doesn't particularly work for us given that the enemy can just stand up as their move on their turn.

Forcing an opponent to always take slow round, and waste their movement just standing up (or waste an action standing, then moving into melee) sounds like pretty good action economy to me. Especially if your ranged dudes ready a triggered "I Shoot him again when he gets up," and "I fire another staggering shot after my buddy shoots him." Or there's called shots to disarm, or prevent spellcasting.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Coolness Averted posted:

Forcing an opponent to always take slow round, and waste their movement just standing up (or waste an action standing, then moving into melee) sounds like pretty good action economy to me. Especially if your ranged dudes ready a triggered "I Shoot him again when he gets up," and "I fire another staggering shot after my buddy shoots him." Or there's called shots to disarm, or prevent spellcasting.

Two banes to maybe knock someone prone on a ranged attack just doesn't sound very good at all. Plus we only have one ranged dude.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gort posted:

You may also want to look at the crafting rules in the Companion (page 25)- anyone with an appropriate profession (alchemist, apothecary, etc.) and an alchemist's kit can churn out healing potions for 5 copper pennies a go, which is not exactly cost-prohibitive for a group's out-of-combat healing even at the Novice group level.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

homullus posted:

It's easy!

Step 1: create prices for fantasy game, cut some info from core book
Step 2: create level of currency lower than your previous lowest level
Step 3: include old info in later supplement by accident

Like, the original chart would be very logical to anybody raised on D&D prices, making it even harder to spot in editing and proofreading.

Yeah, it fits perfectly in with dnd 3.5 prices, which is what confused me initially when considering that you have to pay for your lifestyle, plus replacing weapons/armor at expert & master paths, while barely having any income... Yikes, my characters will never ever have any money.

I have version 1 of that supplement too, I didn't know that there was an updated version. Are there any other books updated with proper errata?

homullus posted:

It's a tossup for me with this one.

I love this picture. Is it part of a series?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pastry Mistakes posted:

I love this picture. Is it part of a series?

No, but the artist (Matt Rhodes) has a lot of other great, expressive work.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ever since I played Darkest Dungeon I wanted to have some mechanics for rest, for everyone contributing actions towards a camping session. My players already enjoy that stuff, but without explicit rules it tends to be variations of "who and how will we take watch, and what traps/spells can we use to stay safe?" Well, while reading SofDL I'm seeing rules that are simple and "clean" enough that I could maybe work out a rest system (more so than, say, with D&D). I should also say my gaming group has been trying to work "stress" and "down time" into their RPGs too, so again this could be a way to work that in as well.

Here's what I have so far:

First off, changes to the normal rules: You don't heal automatically at rest (don't worry it'll be taken care of in these rules) and insanity and corruption that you gain aren't "permanent" until you finish your rest that day (so that you have time to deal with them in camp).

every night you can use 2 short rest actions or 1 long rest actions. There are 3 universal short rest actions:

Soothe: remove 1 insanity from an ally
Wound Care: provide you/your ally health = to their healing rate
Practice: you or one ally gain a +1 b usable once tomorrow.

As GM I can provide more insanity every day with these rules, because I know the players should be removing at least 1 a day. I'll have to find the right amount but essentially I want the players to have nice "long rest" bonuses their class can give, and the players to feel torn between devoting their time to those long rest bonuses vs having to heal/remove insanity with the short rest actions. Basically I want there to be too many good things to choose.

Long Rest actions for the novice paths:

Magician - Contemplate: remove 1 corruption gained that day and also gain 1 boon to resist corruption tomorrow. (Self only, side note: I'm viewing insanity as coming from bad things that you see/happen to you against your will, while corruption, baring some rare/demonic attacks is going to be more like things you choose to do. The Magician will be better prepared than other classes to absorb dangerous knowledge and live).

Priest - Lead in Prayer: remove 1 insanity from up to 3 allies. (a more efficient use than soothe, priests can help keep morale high/help the party deal with PTSD type stuff)

Rogue - Coach: Give 2 allies a + 1 boon for a certain non-combat challenge (declared when used) that lasts a scene. Ex: climbing, sneaking, tracking, etc. (Help the shittest party members do various group movements.)

Warriors - Spar: Allow 2 allies to ignore/evade/dodge a single attack tomorrow. (Help the weak back line party members not get creamed by the one dangerous attack that reaches them tomorrow).

Ok, so I haven't play tested any of this yet. Some thoughts though:

1) This could be a heal tax. On the one hand players used to automatically heal at rest and now they have to spend a resource to do so. OTOH the game didn't have this resource before. But I need to playtest and see if players are always like "we're always loving wound caring, we never get to do anything cool".
2) Regarding insanity/corruption: I will have bigger/more abstracted down times between adventures (like what a PC does for months between adventures), and that can be used, if needed, to remove even more corruption/insanity. Ideally I want to give players enough insanity and allow/tempt them to gain enough corruption so that, while they can slow down it's progression using rests, eventually the party is fairly insane and corrupt by the time the game ends and then everyone enjoys the long in-game break. It's a line I'll have to find when I'm running.
3) I'm going back and forth on whether the class powers should be long or short, or even how many powers the group can use in a rest. Darkest Dungeon, the PC game this is based on uses like 12 rest points that the party shares, with powers that range from 2 - 6 points per use but a) that's a game where one person controls the whole party, I do not want someone to 'give up' their rest actions so that the group can use something else, I want everyone to contribute b) I want to keep this fast, I want players to make 1 or 2 choices about their rest, not consider how to divide up a resource 12 different ways.
4) These are upping the groups power but I'm not too concerned about that because I can always just send more enemies/challenge at the group as a whole. But please, if anything jumps out at you let me know.
5) I keep moving between adding dice rolls to the class powers vs not. On the one hand I don't want a player to roll bad and waste their contribution. OTOH, players like to roll dice. I probably need to go back and write out a decent automatic effect with a "cherry on top" roll to make them happy.

Finally, while I haven't done it yet, I want to make a rest action for every path in the game. That may get nuts with the master path but it may be something that get filled in over time, maybe/hopefully with help from the player of each path.

So, thoughts? Should the class abilities also be short? Should some be short and others long? Should the novice powers be different? Any thoughts on expert/master powers?

(Edited for clarity and few more ideas)

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 19, 2017

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I am a big Darkest Dungeon fan, so that seems real cool.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

homullus posted:

No, but the artist (Matt Rhodes) has a lot of other great, expressive work.

Like this one concept for Dragon Age Inquisitio; at one point you were going to be able to appoint yourself Pope:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Leliana taking her campaign loss like a champ.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Like this one concept for Dragon Age Inquisitio; at one point you were going to be able to appoint yourself Pope:

Very specifically, a male Qunari mage pope.
In a setting where the pope is traditionally female, is for strong control of mages, and is human.
And the Qunari usually have a very different religion, the Qun.

Basically imagine a female secular ancap somehow becoming pope IRL.

A shame there wasn't room for so radical an ending in the game.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Also don't the Qunari normally have a very uh "special" view of mages? Like cut out their tongue or something kind of view?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Cut out tongues, stitch their mouths shut, keep their hands chained and put a rig on their neck that attaches to a magical tazer rod to keep them locked down should that prove insufficient. A single, otherwise nameless qunari mage was enough to act as the last boss of the Inquisition post-game DLC when he was set loose.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ever since I played Darkest Dungeon I wanted to have some mechanics for rest, for everyone contributing actions towards a camping session. My players already enjoy that stuff, but without explicit rules it tends to be variations of "who and how will we take watch, and what traps/spells can we use to stay safe?" Well, while reading SofDL I'm seeing rules that are simple and "clean" enough that I could maybe work out a rest system (more so than, say, with D&D). I should also say my gaming group has been trying to work "stress" and "down time" into their RPGs too, so again this could be a way to work that in as well.

Here's what I have so far:

First off, changes to the normal rules: You don't heal automatically at rest (don't worry it'll be taken care of in these rules) and insanity and corruption that you gain aren't "permanent" until you finish your rest that day (so that you have time to deal with them in camp).

every night you can use 2 short rest actions or 1 long rest actions. There are 3 universal short rest actions:

Soothe: remove 1 insanity from an ally
Wound Care: provide you/your ally health = to their healing rate
Practice: you or one ally gain a +1 b usable once tomorrow.

As GM I can provide more insanity every day with these rules, because I know the players should be removing at least 1 a day. I'll have to find the right amount but essentially I want the players to have nice "long rest" bonuses their class can give, and the players to feel torn between devoting their time to those long rest bonuses vs having to heal/remove insanity with the short rest actions. Basically I want there to be too many good things to choose.

Long Rest actions for the novice paths:

Magician - Contemplate: remove 1 corruption gained that day and also gain 1 boon to resist corruption tomorrow. (Self only, side note: I'm viewing insanity as coming from bad things that you see/happen to you against your will, while corruption, baring some rare/demonic attacks is going to be more like things you choose to do. The Magician will be better prepared than other classes to absorb dangerous knowledge and live).

Priest - Lead in Prayer: remove 1 insanity from up to 3 allies. (a more efficient use than soothe, priests can help keep morale high/help the party deal with PTSD type stuff)

Rogue - Coach: Give 2 allies a + 1 boon for a certain non-combat challenge (declared when used) that lasts a scene. Ex: climbing, sneaking, tracking, etc. (Help the shittest party members do various group movements.)

Warriors - Spar: Allow 2 allies to ignore/evade/dodge a single attack tomorrow. (Help the weak back line party members not get creamed by the one dangerous attack that reaches them tomorrow).

Ok, so I haven't play tested any of this yet. Some thoughts though:

1) This could be a heal tax. On the one hand players used to automatically heal at rest and now they have to spend a resource to do so. OTOH the game didn't have this resource before. But I need to playtest and see if players are always like "we're always loving wound caring, we never get to do anything cool".
2) Regarding insanity/corruption: I will have bigger/more abstracted down times between adventures (like what a PC does for months between adventures), and that can be used, if needed, to remove even more corruption/insanity. Ideally I want to give players enough insanity and allow/tempt them to gain enough corruption so that, while they can slow down it's progression using rests, eventually the party is fairly insane and corrupt by the time the game ends and then everyone enjoys the long in-game break. It's a line I'll have to find when I'm running.
3) I'm going back and forth on whether the class powers should be long or short, or even how many powers the group can use in a rest. Darkest Dungeon, the PC game this is based on uses like 12 rest points that the party shares, with powers that range from 2 - 6 points per use but a) that's a game where one person controls the whole party, I do not want someone to 'give up' their rest actions so that the group can use something else, I want everyone to contribute b) I want to keep this fast, I want players to make 1 or 2 choices about their rest, not consider how to divide up a resource 12 different ways.
4) These are upping the groups power but I'm not too concerned about that because I can always just send more enemies/challenge at the group as a whole. But please, if anything jumps out at you let me know.
5) I keep moving between adding dice rolls to the class powers vs not. On the one hand I don't want a player to roll bad and waste their contribution. OTOH, players like to roll dice. I probably need to go back and write out a decent automatic effect with a "cherry on top" roll to make them happy.

Finally, while I haven't done it yet, I want to make a rest action for every path in the game. That may get nuts with the master path but it may be something that get filled in over time, maybe/hopefully with help from the player of each path.

So, thoughts? Should the class abilities also be short? Should some be short and others long? Should the novice powers be different? Any thoughts on expert/master powers?

(Edited for clarity and few more ideas)

I like a lot of these ideas, but you're right about this being a heal tax under some circumstances. I would make it so that no matter what you choose to do with your rest you still do heal equal to your Healing Rate. That way you're always getting some baseline health back.

Here's my suggestions:

Practice: this should be a bit more versatile, as 1 boon once a day is kinda peanuts. Instead, make it 1 boon to all challenge rolls that use a single Attribute. Like you spend some time exercising and get 1 boon to Strength/Agility rolls, or you spend time in prayer/meditation and get 1 boon to Will rolls.

Magician: Corruption isn't that much of a problem unless you're doing evil stuff or studying dark magic, and getting rid of it should be a lot bigger deal that just sleeping for a night. I would let Magicians spend their time doing something a bit more universal, like giving all allies 1 boon to resist a magical attack the next day or give 1 ally the ability to expend a casting of one of your spells during the next day.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

A thing I like about Boons/Banes over Advantage/Disadvantage is that having more sources of them means something, but not a big something. You can have a million Boons, and it just makes it very, very likely you'll get +6 on the roll.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Serf posted:

I like a lot of these ideas, but you're right about this being a heal tax under some circumstances. I would make it so that no matter what you choose to do with your rest you still do heal equal to your Healing Rate. That way you're always getting some baseline health back.

Here's my suggestions:

Practice: this should be a bit more versatile, as 1 boon once a day is kinda peanuts. Instead, make it 1 boon to all challenge rolls that use a single Attribute. Like you spend some time exercising and get 1 boon to Strength/Agility rolls, or you spend time in prayer/meditation and get 1 boon to Will rolls.

Magician: Corruption isn't that much of a problem unless you're doing evil stuff or studying dark magic, and getting rid of it should be a lot bigger deal that just sleeping for a night. I would let Magicians spend their time doing something a bit more universal, like giving all allies 1 boon to resist a magical attack the next day or give 1 ally the ability to expend a casting of one of your spells during the next day.

Thanks for the help, these are all good points. I'll absolutely change Practice to that, although this is going compete with the Rogues power but I'll address that later. And since I haven't run a game yet I wasn't sure how much Corruption would show up, but what you're say makes sense that it might be too infrequent to base a foundation (novice path) rest power over, yeah they'll need something else.

Regarding the healing, you're right, I could go back to making healing a passive effect, but I'll need to see how/if I can strike the desired mood of "this adventure is grim and every day you're all a little worse" without hitting an obvious heal tax. I think a big red flag is every rest I see a round of wound cares from everyone. I mean, really, the only reason I wouldn't is if a player wasn't wounded.

Really, how much health, how much healing, and how much damage can I expect to see any a day anyway?

Health: A level 1 warrior would have, what, maybe 16 or 17 HP (11 or 12 str, +5 Health)? So he can Healing Rate (HR) himself for 4? And he can do that once a day, and we can presume he gets the priest power so he'll HR twice, and then maybe the priest will also give him another 1 - 1.5 HR based on spells. So the warrior, who does the most healing, might heal for most/all (16/18) of his Health in one day (before the rest period), everyone would else in this scenario is stuck with their own personal recovery (which the magician doesn't get until level 2).

Compare all this health and healing to a Fomor that is probably going to hit a Novice character on an average roll, and does 1d6 damage. And the party can fight 25 difficulty 1 monsters at 0 level (starting)?

Thinking through all this, I think I could certainly just leave healing as a passive activity that occurs at rest. But should I then allow players to wound care at all? I mean, if I allow players to heal, won't they almost always heal if hurt? But if they always choose it, is that a "heal tax"? When I think of a tax in a game, I think of something that sounds optional but you're always going to take it because the game doesn't feel complete without it, like you're buying your way out of a difficulty that tends to only effect certain classes, or low level characters. Or it may be something that you have to pay to maintain some aspect of your character that would otherwise fade out as you level.

I could let players heal passively, I could let them spend rest actions to heal, and play with the amounts healed each time until I get what I want.

I'll have to think about that, and also rewriting the class abilities so that they have a solid automatic effect and an additional effect on a dice roll.

Oh, and what if the skills changed to:

Practice (Universal): You gain +1b to one all challenges made with one Attribute for one scene.
Coaching (Rogue): For once scene tomorrow, the party may roll a certain challenge type (climb, sneak, etc) with the Rogue's attribute (the specific challenge is declared when used in that scene). Additionally, if the Rogue passes their challenge in that scene, the rest of the party gets a +1b on their roll.

I'm also thinking perhaps everyone should get to just pick 1 universal action (the pool could grow over time, I'm thinking about having one that restores ammunition) and 1 class action time. So they're not competing with each other. I guess it depends on if I want the party members to always get to use their class actions, or if I want them to have to struggle to find time for whatever class action feels necessary.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 20, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thanks for the help, these are all good points. I'll absolutely change Practice to that, although this is going compete with the Rogues power but I'll address that later. And since I haven't run a game yet I wasn't sure how much Corruption would show up, but what you're say makes sense that it might be too infrequent to base a foundation (novice path) rest power over, yeah they'll need something else.

Regarding the healing, you're right, I could go back to making healing a passive effect, but I'll need to see how/if I can strike the desired mood of "this adventure is grim and every day you're all a little worse" without hitting an obvious heal tax. I think a big red flag is every rest I see a round of wound cares from everyone. I mean, really, the only reason I wouldn't is if a player wasn't wounded.

Really, how much health, how much healing, and how much damage can I expect to see any a day anyway?

Health: A level 1 warrior would have, what, maybe 16 or 17 HP (11 or 12 str, +5 Health)? So he can Healing Rate (HR) himself for 4? And he can do that once a day, and we can presume he gets the priest power so he'll HR twice, and then maybe the priest will also give him another 1 - 1.5 HR based on spells. So the warrior, who does the most healing, might heal for most/all (16/18) of his Health in one day (before the rest period), everyone would else in this scenario is stuck with their own personal recovery (which the magician doesn't get until level 2).

Compare all this health and healing to a Fomor that is probably going to hit a Novice character on an average roll, and does 1d6 damage. And the party can fight 25 difficulty 1 monsters at 0 level (starting)?

Thinking through all this, I think I could certainly just leave healing as a passive activity that occurs at rest. But should I then allow players to wound care at all? I mean, if I allow players to heal, won't they almost always heal if hurt? But if they always choose it, is that a "heal tax"? When I think of a tax in a game, I think of something that sounds optional but you're always going to take it because the game doesn't feel complete without it, like you're buying your way out of a difficulty that tends to only effect certain classes, or low level characters. Or it may be something that you have to pay to maintain some aspect of your character that would otherwise fade out as you level.

I could let players heal passively, I could let them spend rest actions to heal, and play with the amounts healed each time until I get what I want.

I'll have to think about that, and also rewriting the class abilities so that they have a solid automatic effect and an additional effect on a dice roll.

A PC can very easily lose half to all of their health in a single fight. Also, Insanity kind of takes care of itself, so I think the Priest's skill is the least useful one.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

In large groups, monsters are scarily effective. I had a TPK on a 0-level party with just four fomors vs. four PCs. This math changes a bit at even at level 1, but be sure to look carefully at each monster's stats. A tiny demon, for instance, gets +5 and 1 boon to an attack that does 1d6 damage, and can trade that boon away to attack two targets at once each round, and it gets a ton of good Attributes and a built-in teleport all for Difficulty 10.

Combat in SotDL is always gonna be dangerous, as even 1d6 damage starts to stack up fast. The book is wise to talk about outnumbering, since the action economy is a delicate thing in this game and enemies are going to almost always be baseline more effective at hitting than PCs.

Really it all depends on the tone of game you're going for. For a more grim game, sure restrict healing to the Wound Care options, as that makes the tradeoff more interesting. But I tend to run games a little less harsh than the book recommends, and baseline healing while resting is definitely something I would implement for sure just because I would rather avoid TPKs if at all possible.

As for the Rogue's long rest action, I think letting another boon apply wouldn't be a bad thing. I love your idea of having it apply to a narrow set of actions, so as to not be too powerful. And don't forget that boons and banes cancel out so it could allow a character to take a long shot action with a little more certainty. And like homullus says:

homullus posted:

A thing I like about Boons/Banes over Advantage/Disadvantage is that having more sources of them means something, but not a big something. You can have a million Boons, and it just makes it very, very likely you'll get +6 on the roll.

Boons and banes are pretty brilliant because they have a set amount that they can impact a roll, so giving out lots of boons is never going to get you more than a +6 to a roll, and boons canceling banes lets you create interesting decisions in how to trade them off to attempt more unlikely actions.

homullus posted:

A PC can very easily lose half to all of their health in a single fight. Also, Insanity kind of takes care of itself, so I think the Priest's skill is the least useful one.

This is also an excellent point. Going mad isn't something that is gonna happen often. Instead of removing Insanity, Priests may want to be able to do something like give allies +1 to their Healing Rate for the next day (per number of Paths they have would also make it scale pretty well) or something like removing Afflictions or even granting a bonus to Health equal to your party level.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
thanks for all the input, I've looked it over but will have to think about it and reply later.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me more about how insanity normally works? Do you often see multiple pcs go mad on an adventure? Do you see many pcs choose quirks?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

thanks for all the input, I've looked it over but will have to think about it and reply later.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me more about how insanity normally works? Do you often see multiple pcs go mad on an adventure? Do you see many pcs choose quirks?

Keep in mind that your max for Insanity is your Will score, and that you Go Mad when your Insanity reaches your Will. You only gain 1 Insanity per failure to resist, no matter how horrifying the thing is. Taking a Quirk reduces your Insanity by 1d6+WillMod. Going Mad also reduces your Insanity by 1d6+WillMod. You have a 5% chance of death when you Go Mad and a 5% chance of lowering your Insanity twice and gaining a permanently increased resistance to Insanity; every other form of madness is temporary and features that single Insanity reduction.

I suspect (but do not know from experience) that players not invested in their characters would just Go Mad for the free reduction, and that players that like roleplaying or min-maxing would take Quirks.

So "remove 1 Insanity" could help recover from a single nasty thing. You could also perhaps go "+1 boon to resist gaining Insanity from a specific source" as the priest's sermon steels them for the evils they expect.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Don't forget that knowing Battle Magic makes you go berserk instead when you'd go mad, which makes the effect predictable at the cost of potentially indulging in friendly fire.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What if going mad and quirks removed less insanity, say wil mod min 1?

Edit: the mad chart would also probably need an adjustment.

Edit 2: I didn't say this earlier but I was thinking of having 1-3 insanity occur per day, with 1 being quite common and 3 being rare, that way my removal mechanism, which makes it easy to remove 1 insanity, harder/ more costly to remove 2, and not possible to remove 3, makes insanity probably keep even or creep up over days.

I'd do this by having three insanity sources, each of which can provide an insanity point once a day: these are 1. Half health 2. Mundane horror (grisly murder scene) 3. Supernatural horror.

If I used this method inanity would go up and down reliably, but would trend upwards.

If course, I didn't mention it before because this was a big change to an established mechanic in a system I literally haven't run before. It's mostly an idle thought.

I think that when I came up with most of these ideas though I was over estimating the aversion to/ risks involved in going mad.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 20, 2017

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah also keep in mind, Darkest Dungeon is a game where characters are very likely and commonly discarded after a single dungeon delve or otherwise taken out of action for long periods of time. Like I'm not quite sure if you should aim to model the system of "Grim Dark Adventurer Guild Management Sim" 1:1 over an RPG where your players are only in control of 1 character at a time, rather than managing the town. Like in DD if a dude bites it, no one is stuck sitting around not playing until the dungeon ends.

I do like some of what you were doing with your rest system/minigame but I think if anything the rest system you're home brewing should ADD healing or extra effects, rather then an and/or thing, since you want your party to be able to engage in more fights, right?

edit: Like have you tried playing the game closer to base and seeing if it gets the level of you're looking for yet? Or where it's lacking? It might help figure out what actually needs to be tweaked and what doesn't. Also of note the game does have some downtime management in terms of the living standard/costs and bonuses and penalties from different living standards and also has alternate rules for leveling up and training, if you wanted that worked in as stuff characters had to manage. That's all for "between adventures" and not "every night at the inn" though.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 20, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
No, your completely right, both about DD being a better inspiration than a precise guide book, and about how I sorta need to stfu and run a game first. Mostly just thinking out loud here.

I'll just run R.A.W but also add these rest actions, way less moving parts to feel out then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jack B Nimble posted:

No, your completely right, both about DD being a better inspiration than a precise guide book, and about how I sorta need to stfu and run a game first. Mostly just thinking out loud here.

I'll just run R.A.W but also add these rest actions, way less moving parts to feel out then.

Oh nothing wrong with spitballing or asking about home brew stuff in thread. I wasn't trying to stop you from poking your head under the hood or tailoring the game to what you like and of course keeping us in the loop about what works or doesn't. I do think that copying of camp stuff or making downtime a minigame is a cool idea. Even if I'd caution you to wait on fine tuning stuff like insanity or other longer term costs of a fight until you see how it boils out for your group. There's also a supplement for longer-term scars and penalties that might be up your group's alley if that's the kinda stuff they like, though I can't comment on its quality -it might provide a good skeleton for your own system or completely meet your needs.

Yeah it sounds like you're off to a good start, let us know how it winds up going in play.