Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Who is Killerman?

The man who leaves a red star on his victims' faces. This star is why they call him...killerman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Reminds me of a line from the odd PS1 horror game Hellnight, it went something like "Oh, this is the Tokyo Mesh. We call it a mesh cause it's like a fence."

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Who is Killerman?

The man who leaves a red star on his victims' faces. This star is why they call him...killerman.

Perhaps Killerman is Killerman.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

s.i.r.e. posted:

So I'm continuing the D2 playthrough and while the LPer is informative and interesting to listen to the game has become a slog. The mindless ranting of the characters is few and far between and rather than being short and constantly off the wall like the first game, this one is a lot of really dull gameplay. Not saying that the first one wasn't filled with the same, but he beat it in a fraction of the time and the pacing of this game is rear end and he cut a lot of poo poo out. I'm not as mindfucked, but I hold out hope.

Heh, the D2 playthrough. Do you remember the D2 playthrough, Laura? It was a playthrough, a playthrough of the game, D2. I remember it. I remember watching it, Laura. It was a playthrough... the game had things in it. Laura, do you remember what things were in it? Monsters, Laura, and they were in the playthrough of D2, that game

shadow the final destroyer shadow the final destroyer shado

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
LAURA looking like a confused dog any time somebody says her name is the best part of d2

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is it dumb to dream about a horror game in the vein of Pandemic's Mercenaries? Like, I know better and worse games have combined military shooters with monsters before, from F.E.A.R. to the incredibly awful Clive Barker's Jericho, but I'd like something more campy in the style of something where you have the freedom to completely destroy a city or country to take out the monster infestation or attack you were hired to get rid of. Which I guess is sort of EDF but with bugs and aliens, even though I'd hope it would involve less grinding for good guns.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just got to the part with Kim's poem to parker backed by gypsy jazz... :psyduck:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I can say that the final boss of D2 is nothing you are prepared for.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Shadow, the final destroyer.

Shadow, the final destroyer.

LAURA!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

0 rows returned posted:

Perhaps Killerman is Killerman.

I mean, that's just dumb.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
do people name their horror games by picking a random word from the thesaurus now?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tired Moritz posted:

do people name their horror games by picking a random word from the thesaurus now?

That's pretty much step 1 in the hack indie horror developer handbook.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jannie just melted into the floor. lol gently caress this terrible game, holy poo poo.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Crabtree posted:

Is it dumb to dream about a horror game in the vein of Pandemic's Mercenaries? Like, I know better and worse games have combined military shooters with monsters before, from F.E.A.R. to the incredibly awful Clive Barker's Jericho, but I'd like something more campy in the style of something where you have the freedom to completely destroy a city or country to take out the monster infestation or attack you were hired to get rid of. Which I guess is sort of EDF but with bugs and aliens, even though I'd hope it would involve less grinding for good guns.

This was always the best part of XCOM's terror missions. Unless you deliberately went out of your way to kill all the civilians, your Council would overlook even the complete and total destruction of a city purely because you prevented the end of the world with it. :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Having just finished up the LP and I'm pretty sure D2 is the worst game in existence and I'm baffled how it got any funding to be made. Just... wow.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FirstAidKite posted:

Who is Killerman?

Uh, I'll have you know that it's because he left a bright red star, or killer mark.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Oh, Killerman, where you gonna run to?
Killerman, where you gonna run to?
Where you gonna run to?
All on that day.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Having just finished up the LP and I'm pretty sure D2 is the worst game in existence and I'm baffled how it got any funding to be made. Just... wow.
Well then let me tell you about a game that Kenji Eno made before that called Enemy Zero...Kenji Eno and Swery are horrible at making and designing games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

D2 and Enemy Zero are nowhere near the worst games, let alone the worst horror games which is a genre littered with garbage as is. Look at The Ring on Dreamcast if you want to start at the top of the bottom of the barrel.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

al-azad posted:

D2 and Enemy Zero are nowhere near the worst games, let alone the worst horror games which is a genre littered with garbage as is. Look at The Ring on Dreamcast if you want to start at the top of the bottom of the barrel.

There was a good lp of this in the lp subforum recently. I think the users name was Pedrovay

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

al-azad posted:

Still, while poo poo like 'The Ring' game or that boring 'Ju-on' game are mostly considered poo poo, no one tries to defend them or their creators. No one points to 'Alone in the Dark' (2009) and tries to sell it as having interesting ideas that were marred by some poor decisions. But you will find plenty of people that try to defend Warp and Kenji Eno as being this eccentric pioneers when I just found his games to be dreadful to play in so many ways. So yeah, it's hyperbolic to say they're the worst but they are still pretty poo poo.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

discworld is all I read posted:

Still, while poo poo like 'The Ring' game or that boring 'Ju-on' game are mostly considered poo poo, no one tries to defend them or their creators. No one points to 'Alone in the Dark' (2009) and tries to sell it as having interesting ideas that were marred by some poor decisions. But you will find plenty of people that try to defend Warp and Kenji Eno as being this eccentric pioneers when I just found his games to be dreadful to play in so many ways. So yeah, it's hyperbolic to say they're the worst but they are still pretty poo poo.

Wait, but Alone in the Dark 2008 did have some interesting ideas that were marred by poor decisions. That's why it's so bad, you can almost see where it can be good but it failed right at the finish line.

gently caress, AitD'08 is bad. Say what you will about Illumination, at least it had modest goals and, admittedly after some work, scraped that goal line, however barely. At least '08 has its soundtrack.

Edit: Supposedly the PS3 version of '08 is better, but I haven't played it and Atari taunted PC/360 users with the idea of a patch to fix them up and then never did and closed their Alone in the Dark forums when people complained.

catlord fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 21, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AitD 08 is one of three 360 games I got all the cheevos on.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

catlord posted:

Wait, but Alone in the Dark 2008 did have some interesting ideas that were marred by poor decisions. That's why it's so bad, you can almost see where it can be good but it failed right at the finish line.

gently caress, AitD'08 is bad. Say what you will about Illumination, at least it had modest goals and, admittedly after some work, scraped that goal line, however barely. At least '08 has its soundtrack.

Edit: Supposedly the PS3 version of '08 is better, but I haven't played it and Atari taunted PC/360 users with the idea of a patch to fix them up and then never did and closed their Alone in the Dark forums when people complained.

Atari told 360 and PC owners that they don't have their patch, and gently caress them anyways.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's me, I'm the guy who defends Alone in the Dark '08 as an interesting game.

Survival horror genre almost universally has bad gameplay so load me up with weird poo poo and crazy ideas. I don't know if I'll play The Evil Within before the sequel but I really hope the sequel goes down the deep end.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
AitD08 had a lot of potential

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who defends Alone in the Dark '08 as an interesting game.

Survival horror genre almost universally has bad gameplay so load me up with weird poo poo and crazy ideas. I don't know if I'll play The Evil Within before the sequel but I really hope the sequel goes down the deep end.

It was really a game that reached for the stars but just couldn't make it. They tried a lot of new things in the name of realism and creativity, but it just didn't work out. I still really want to love it but the controls are so clunky that it's hard to find it fun to play sometimes.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, I wanted to like that Ju-on game going in (my tolerance for crappy gameplay is high as long as the atmosphere is there) but it was just *so slow*. Like what am I doing with my life slow

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I mostly remember AiTD '08 as being that game where your inventory was looking around your oversized coat for things to duct tape together while doing repetitive quests in Central Park interspersed with lovely driving....what felt like a lot of lovely driving. Then I looked and saw the developer mostly did driving games which left me confused why the driving was so bad in that game. Not to say that a developer can't successfully get outside their comfort zone, I mean the people who made 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand had previously really only did a rugby and a cricket game and they still managed to poo poo out a half way competent third person shooter.

DeathChicken posted:

Man, I wanted to like that Ju-on game going in (my tolerance for crappy gameplay is high as long as the atmosphere is there) but it was just *so slow*. Like what am I doing with my life slow
Yeah, that Ju-on game was especially weird because not only were you dreadfully slow but you were also on a time limit. So it was this constant rush to go as slow as possible through really drab horror settings while jump scares happen that can easily be missed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought I played the Ju-On game but realised I was thinking of something else entirely, another Wii horror game that maybe revolved around mobile phones? I can't remember the name.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought I played the Ju-On game but realised I was thinking of something else entirely, another Wii horror game that maybe revolved around mobile phones? I can't remember the name.

The Calling, perhaps?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Shattered Memories?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Speaking about Alone in the Dark, are there any good LPs of the original games? I only ever got to play the first one way back when and I never heard of the sequels until way later. It'd be fun to relive that original game and see the rest.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Just like "The Thing", someone really needs to remake AITD 2008 now that technology can actually live up to its ambitions. Frictional would be a perfect developer.

I want to smash a chair and light the broken leg on fire to make an improvised torch. Give me that please.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

the black husserl posted:

Just like "The Thing", someone really needs to remake AITD 2008 now that technology can actually live up to its ambitions. Frictional would be a perfect developer.
You won't get a new AITD anytime soon because about one year ago Atari/Infogrames was found guilty of copyright fraud, having stolen all rights to AITD (and the associated toolchain) from its actual creator, Frédéric Raynal, back when they published it. As a result they owe him 25 years of royalties on everything AITD-related (plus possibly a share of the money from the shadow deal they apparently had with Capcom in exchange for not suing them for Resident Evil, though that bit hasn't quite been cleared up yet) and likely can't do anything AITD-related without Raynal.

Chev fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 21, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Speaking about Alone in the Dark, are there any good LPs of the original games? I only ever got to play the first one way back when and I never heard of the sequels until way later. It'd be fun to relive that original game and see the rest.
I thought that this was a fairly top shelf and thorough LP of the first game: https://lparchive.org/Alone-in-the-Dark-(by-Qotile-Swirl)/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I thought that this was a fairly top shelf and thorough LP of the first game: https://lparchive.org/Alone-in-the-Dark-(by-Qotile-Swirl)/

Awesome, thanks. How were the sequels to the original? I didn't hear much about them other than one was about pirates or something?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

It's a nice one but do note it's got a few inaccuracies when it gets to the surrounding context, though nothing important regarding the game itself. For example as a note for this translation of a french article he mentions AITD didn't have skeletal animation, bu that's wrong, it's one of the earliest instances of the technique (as known from analysis of the file formats and also Ranyal's GDC presentation of the game).

s.i.r.e. posted:

Awesome, thanks. How were the sequels to the original? I didn't hear much about them other than one was about pirates or something?

2 has pirates, 3 is 2 with a wild west theme instead. They're a lot more action-oriented, ditch the Cthulhu stuff for rights reason, and I feel they didn't have nearly as much care put into them.

Chev fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 21, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BlueberryCanary posted:

The Calling, perhaps?

Oh yeah, that was it thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

They take the Resident Evil sequel approach where the horror takes a backseat to the action which is not what you want in a '93 fixed perspective game. It's been a long time since I played them but I still appreciate the original in the same way I do the first Resident Evil.

I am revisiting Ecstatica and bad controls aside it's a really unique game that got pushed to the wayside. You can only carry what's in your hands, it tells its story through animated scripted sequences instead of canned cutscenes, and crazy poo poo is always happening to you. Like sometimes instead of outright dying you'll be strung up for torture or dragged in a hole and beaten underground.

If Ecstatica got a console port I think we'd still be talking about it today.

the black husserl posted:

I want to smash a chair and light the broken leg on fire to make an improvised torch. Give me that please.

I would argue that Alan Wake was the proper execution, or at least a good base for it. The original design documents for it make it out to be almost an adventure game with combat segments.