Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

45 hours into Nier Automata and I've never seen Emil in front of the resistance camp. Just sell me those weapons you little bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

45 hours into Nier Automata and I've never seen Emil in front of the resistance camp. Just sell me those weapons you little bastard.

He can sell them anywhere as long as he's singing his song at the fastest speed. You have to be at a certain point in the story though. Enjoy the RNG.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

steinrokkan posted:

Those are just the first person animations working as intended, which are warped in pretty much in any game to look good in the player viewport. Same as the famous Mirror Edge "third person" camera where Faith becomes a rubber band woman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeA-386t38Q

Yeah, I was about to link to some gifs for Firewatch, because it has these animations that look really insane when not viewed from a first person perspective. Things like hands and arms growing massively to simulate close-ups, it's incredible. Unfortunately these images no longer seem to load, so you have to settle for the one in the header of this article: http://kotaku.com/firewatch-in-third-person-is-messed-up-1758613845

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Why yes, Vanquish, it's a great idea to give a miniboss an ability that instantly kills me with pretty much no warning. Particularly if that same kind of miniboss never had that ability before, it only fires after I already killed him, and it appears to be one of the only things in game that actually instantly kills you from full health instead of putting you into the slow-mo critical state.

Also, for a game that's ostensibly about boosting around at high speeds and doing sick flips while shooting dudes, many of the combat setpieces are way too cramped and crowded to ever get much use out of it. Way more often than not it seems that chilling in cover and headshotting everyone gets things done in half the time and a quarter the risk as charging around would.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Perestroika posted:

Why yes, Vanquish, it's a great idea to give a miniboss an ability that instantly kills me with pretty much no warning. Particularly if that same kind of miniboss never had that ability before, it only fires after I already killed him, and it appears to be one of the only things in game that actually instantly kills you from full health instead of putting you into the slow-mo critical state.

Also, for a game that's ostensibly about boosting around at high speeds and doing sick flips while shooting dudes, many of the combat setpieces are way too cramped and crowded to ever get much use out of it. Way more often than not it seems that chilling in cover and headshotting everyone gets things done in half the time and a quarter the risk as charging around would.

That miniboss sucked because it's not telegraphed that it's an instakill.

I watched Previously Recorded's review of the game and that was definitely an issue with one of the guys. As much of a Platinum game as it is, Vanquish is still based on the cover shooter template so it's still a viable tactic to play it like a Gears clone. They had a really good idea to make cover destructible to encourage more aggressive play.

It's cool that the game runs so smooth on PC but it blasts through loading screens before you can read any of the character backstories or plot (not that any of that affects the game).

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Sonic Generations is kind of bad. A lot of the times it feels like it's trying to trick me into dying, like you think you can safely boost on the opening to this level? No, rear end in a top hat, there's a drop here and if you don't jump fast enough you'll go past the enemies and die. Straightways that look safe to boost on transition really abruptly into platforming sections that kill you for boosting, so mostly I just don't use it. You can't light dash outside of the Designated Light Dash Stage, so even though this looks set up perfectly for it you'll actually die, fuckwit. Homing attack after this jump like you almost always want to do? Not this time, this time you miss the shorter path if you try. You think you can make that with a normal jump? Nope, it's just out of reach. Head back to try to spindash jump into it? Haha idiot, there's a tiny lip here that cancels it now. gently caress off.

And then it's piss easy to S-rank all the stages just by bumbling my way through on the first try. Pretty much the only times I don't is when I get tricked. At least I don't feel incentivised to try and learn the stages :shrug: It can be pretty fun when it's not being actively hostile and I'm trying to like it because of that, but it just feels like it's full of pointless dick moves.

And the City Escape remix music sucks rear end compared to the original.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Last Of Us: gently caress that stupid stealth fight with David, and gently caress the big shootout at the end of the Pittsburgh hotel for being so simple. just hide in the lil office building on the scaffolds by the coffee shop and pick them off as they come at you.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is kind of weird but I was really annoyed in Mass Effect: Andromeda by how good Liam's loyalty mission was. Its genuinely funny (like the scene where the pirate is trying to call them on the com and they keep turning it off) there's interesting level design (you're on a ship that keeps having its gravity screwed up so every couple of encounters you're fighting on a different surface) and it ends well.

It just makes the rest of the game look like crap.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Could someone please explain this drat recent Inspect Gadget meme in a way that doesn't require me to have encyclopedic knowledge of obnoxious gaming YouTube personalities or to watch a 10+-minute video of said obnoxious gaming YouTube personalities.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Guy Mann posted:

Could someone please explain this drat recent Inspect Gadget meme in a way that doesn't require me to have encyclopedic knowledge of obnoxious gaming YouTube personalities or to watch a 10+-minute video of said obnoxious gaming YouTube personalities.

I know SiIvaGunner, a youtuber that uploads a bunch of fake videogame OSTs, is remixing a bunch of songs to be the Inspector Gadget theme.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Gitro posted:

Sonic Generations is kind of bad. A lot of the times it feels like it's trying to trick me into dying, like you think you can safely boost on the opening to this level? No, rear end in a top hat, there's a drop here and if you don't jump fast enough you'll go past the enemies and die. Straightways that look safe to boost on transition really abruptly into platforming sections that kill you for boosting, so mostly I just don't use it. You can't light dash outside of the Designated Light Dash Stage, so even though this looks set up perfectly for it you'll actually die, fuckwit. Homing attack after this jump like you almost always want to do? Not this time, this time you miss the shorter path if you try. You think you can make that with a normal jump? Nope, it's just out of reach. Head back to try to spindash jump into it? Haha idiot, there's a tiny lip here that cancels it now. gently caress off.

And then it's piss easy to S-rank all the stages just by bumbling my way through on the first try. Pretty much the only times I don't is when I get tricked. At least I don't feel incentivised to try and learn the stages :shrug: It can be pretty fun when it's not being actively hostile and I'm trying to like it because of that, but it just feels like it's full of pointless dick moves.

Also the final boss in Sonic Generations sucks hard.
But at least you can switch the boring default music to "Live and Learn" though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guy Mann posted:

Mike Matei, a guy that's long been involved in Cinemassacre, which is James Rolfe's (The Angry Videogame Nerd) site, made a really obnoxious and dumb video where they were pretty much trying to poo poo on minecraft, but were doing it while talking to a shopped in next to him Inspector Gadget, which he also voiced talking back to him. It's all really miserably unfunny for the most part, but Mike Matei also got themselves into a bunch of dumb e-controversy recently too so all the jokes have to be run into the ground.

Here it is.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Jun 18, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I know SiIvaGunner, a youtuber that uploads a bunch of fake videogame OSTs, is remixing a bunch of songs to be the Inspector Gadget theme.

Yeah, that's how I was first exposed to it. Then I saw more Inspector Gadget/Minecraft stuff popping up in gaming places and figured it had to extend beyond his remixes.

Yardbomb posted:

Mike Matei, a guy that's long been involved in Cinemassacre, which is James Rolfe's (The Angry Videogame Nerd) site, made a really obnoxious and dumb video where they were pretty much trying to poo poo on minecraft, but were doing it while talking to a shopped in next to him Inspector Gadget, which he also voiced talking back to him. It's all really miserably unfunny for the most part, but Mike Matei also got themselves into a bunch of dumb e-controversy recently too so all the jokes have to be run into the ground.

Here it is.

Wowzers!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Gitro posted:

What the gently caress

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Yardbomb posted:

Here it is.

Good lord :prepop:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I finished all of Nier Automata and it's over. Where's another game Squenix?

Maybe I'll dust off the first Nier and try to get into it this time.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

What the gently caress

The 2D one is just bad, I thought the 3D one was changed as well but it's pretty much the same, it just sucks with the boost effect over it

Unless you're saying City Escape has bad music in which case I am sorry you can't understand joy and happiness and good, wholesome rock

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd forgotten how annoying the Shai Gen Corporation were to fight in Crackdown - they completely change the flow of the game because in the buildings that you can get on top of you can't get to the bosses from the roof, even the ones you theoretically could, Czernenko and the Car/Security Guy needs to be entered on the lower floor of the spiral and then scaled, and the latter's level is full of cars so even if you do scale the outside of his garage you'll probably get blown up, so the only really safe ways is to fight slowly through the entire complex until you can corner them. Some of them do have some shortcuts, but they tend to be as heavily guarded as the other entrance anyway as well, or require a similarly long route. The Volk all needed tricks but were an extension of the bound-up-the building gameplay - one had three buttons to blow up that you could just jump to, one was on a ship that you needed to figure out how to jump to, it was a natural escalation of the core concept. Also Czernenko's freaks are a really annoying enemy type that don't work with the core gameplay very well.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Is there a reason they couldn't name it Warhammer : Total War, or did they intentianlly want people to say 'war war'?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They really should've just gone for the cool shortening of Total Warhammer

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I love every time BioEnchanted and me both sync up in what ancient games we play

Crackdown 2: They took out all the pistols and your agent's got a helmet after fifteen minutes so all the player face models are irrelevant and armor color is the only custom thing you get; Blue, grey, and white unless you buy the dlc. Overall, C2 just has way less character than the former.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
You're all making me want to play crackdown,the first one's better than the second right?

content : I'm playing street fighter 3 alpha on emulator and I love it but i'm really poo poo at fighting games in general and pulling off supers is really hard for me :[

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I remember the first Crackdown being a ton of fun. Shame it never got a PC release, wouldn't mind replaying it.

Also apparently there's a third one coming out this year.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
C2 is the direct to DVD sequel to C1. There's no subtlety and the already bare bones plot is functionally delegated to a series of audio logs that end on a big wet fart

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kinda liked seeing the former strongholds as ruined husks, made an interesting contrast to the first game. Especially the Shai Gen area, the Intel Globe that in the first game has no direct entrance being completely shattered and able to just jump into especially was pretty striking. I also liked the idea of the War against the Agency's tyranny, even if it was told in a flat way. The major problems that I had with it were that the objectives were dull frustrating tower defense games that were all in the same types of underground caves. Hopefully Crackdown 3 will have more variety if it comes out, although it will probably be XBone exclusive so I won't be able to play it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

content : I'm playing street fighter 3 alpha on emulator and I love it but i'm really poo poo at fighting games in general and pulling off supers is really hard for me :[

I've been playing SF on and off since 1992 and I still can't do a loving dragon punch reliably. It's a bit embarrassing.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I've been playing SF on and off since 1992 and I still can't do a loving dragon punch reliably. It's a bit embarrassing.

I've got so many controllers it's absurd,i'm just mixing and matching until I can roll the analog sticks just right.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK, after all my whining about the Shai Gen I just took out 4 of them with brute tactics - run to a boss, blow up anyone in the way until there stops being people to blow up. Every time I respawn run back to the building and just keep killing faster then they can respawn, and fill the boss with as many firefly rockets as I can loose at them. Also a few of them did have an easier backdoor but Czernenko's is dumb bullshit with where it is hidden and barely a shortcut at all, and I think at least with the general (I have him, Wang and one third person who I haven't found yet) I will need to just climb his level fair and square after getting to the elevator at the back. Also, back to complaints - even after taking out half of his dudes my chances at killing Wang have only increased a little - from 6% to 15% chance of success. I can only hope that the general across the plaza will make a massive difference.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

FF 3/6 Sabin's Bumrush

I think this caused my first video game related repetitive use injury

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

HAmbONE posted:

FF 3/6 Sabin's Bumrush

I think this caused my first video game related repetitive use injury

Double tap the directions instead of doing a full Gief command. All the Blitz moves have double tap commands as secondary input options.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Caufman posted:

Is there a reason they couldn't name it Warhammer : Total War, or did they intentianlly want people to say 'war war'?

CA actually released an official announcement to explain why the name of their game was so poo poo and it's basically just that neither company willing to sacrifice brand recognition in order to make a better title.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
War Total Hammer

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Raw Oral: Meat Warmth

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Deport The Irish posted:

CA actually released an official announcement to explain why the name of their game was so poo poo and it's basically just that neither company willing to sacrifice brand recognition in order to make a better title.

Whatever I'll call it Total Warhammer anyway

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm so close to beating Crackdown, currently hunting for races and agility orbs to push myself that last 50% of the way to level 4 agility, because with that I can make the shortcut to Wang's Tower now that I know where I'm trying to hop to and only have a few floors to go. It just takes soooo long...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm currently playing Kingdom Hearts Final Mix on the PS4, and while I like the game overall despite rough spots in its combat engine, I forgot how just absolutely terrible most of the worlds' level layouts are. Many are just a random series of connected rooms that have no spatial relationship to each other, making it ridiculously easy to get lost and turned around in. Monstro, for example, has a mouth, throat, stomach, and like 8 different chambers that are all interconnected in a maze and all named the same thing. Likewise, the Atlantica level has a number of exits from each room that connect to other rooms, but there's no real way to know what goes where or where it will come out from, or how to get to a specific room without memorizing which path takes you there. It can get frustrating as hell. Some of the worlds, like Traverse Town or Halloween Town have a much better laid-out map, but even then Halloween Town's final area is this big loving tower that you sort of have to bumble around on in a game that doesn't exactly have sterling platforming mechanics.

I like the game overall, but goddamn, that poo poo is an artifact of its time. I can't remember if its sequel did was any better in that regard.

Oh, and the oft-encountered problem of "I don't know what to do next so I guess I'll just run around until a cutscene triggers" is present far too often. I've actually had to consult a walkthrough simply to know where I'm supposed to be going. In Atlantica, again, there's a part where Ariel fucks up and has Ursula steal Triton's Trident, and she joins your team. At that point you're given no clues about what you're supposed to do - the answer, of course, is to go to a previous area you went to once to find a random shiny object in, find a switch behind a stone that you have absolutely no reason to press and couldn't before because you couldn't reach it, and have Sebastian (who is apparently also in your team now despite no mentions of this fact) go out and press it, in a mechanic that is only ever used this one time and never mentioned before or ever again.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm so close to beating Crackdown, currently hunting for races and agility orbs to push myself that last 50% of the way to level 4 agility, because with that I can make the shortcut to Wang's Tower now that I know where I'm trying to hop to and only have a few floors to go. It just takes soooo long...

I recall getting 100% in Crackdown and feeling very empty inside.