Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sarcopenia posted:

They've had some really good long form stuff. It seems like their serious output has increased and their garish website has become less ugly and more serious looking after they gained some recognition. They also removed their comment section which is nice.

Yeah that Russia article was surprisingly good, I'm going to have to check out more of their stuff now that I'm aware of them doing things besides Top Ten Lists Of Stupid Bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah that Russia article was surprisingly good, I'm going to have to check out more of their stuff now that I'm aware of them doing things besides Top Ten Lists Of Stupid Bullshit

I don't fault you for not knowing. Most news sites are going in the opposite direction so it's a surprising choice for the biggest clickbait trash peddler to take.
I couldn't find the segment that used to be called "Big Stories" on that had all of their older longform stuff but you can still go to it by adding bigstories at the end of the url.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/bigstories

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Sarcopenia posted:

I don't fault you for not knowing. Most news sites are going in the opposite direction so it's a surprising choice for the biggest clickbait trash peddler to take.
I couldn't find the segment that used to be called "Big Stories" on that had all of their older longform stuff but you can still go to it by adding bigstories at the end of the url.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/bigstories

I recall their Deedee and Gypsy Blancharde story to be good.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Maybe, or maybe youre just being a prick because I associated BuzzFeed with the lovely click bait that they're primarily known for

Who knows man, who knows

listen it's just that there's not knowing and then there's saying it's unnerving and the thread (thankfully briefly) turning into a string of "lol clickbait news titles" nonsense. I posted to break up that latter string of posting, not to personally call you, specifically, out for not being aware of BuzzFeed's other journalistic practices

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

InediblePenguin posted:

listen it's just that there's not knowing and then there's saying it's unnerving and the thread (thankfully briefly) turning into a string of "lol clickbait news titles" nonsense. I posted to break up that latter string of posting, not to personally call you, specifically, out for not being aware of BuzzFeed's other journalistic practices

Dude it was like two posts and then you called me ignorant, gently caress off with this poo poo

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The fact that Buzzfeed is now producing a different kind of clickbait that appeals to people who want longer content rather than shorter shouldn't cause it to be confused for journalism.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Alereon posted:

The fact that Buzzfeed is now producing a different kind of clickbait that appeals to people who want longer content rather than shorter shouldn't cause it to be confused for journalism.

"17 current and former British and American intelligence officials"

I didnt even read the article but how exactly is that not journalism?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People unironically defending Buzzfeed itt.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

on the bored wop posted:

We've talked before in this thread about Anna Stubblefield, the woman who had sex with a severely disabled man she had been practicing facilitated communication with. Her conviction was recently overturned and she might be getting a new trial that would allow a lot of evidence that had been excluded the first time around: http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...n_case_has.html

No. No. NO. UGGGGH.

I have a disabled (though verbal) little brother and this story had been one of the most unnerving things I've encountered, and I've been browsing these forums for well over a decade.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

on the bored wop posted:

We've talked before in this thread about Anna Stubblefield, the woman who had sex with a severely disabled man she had been practicing facilitated communication with. Her conviction was recently overturned and she might be getting a new trial that would allow a lot of evidence that had been excluded the first time around: http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...n_case_has.html

Oh boy I can't wait for more evidence of his professed love for her that she definitely didn't type out herself to justify raping her client.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I can't even comprehend why they would do a new trial. If he had been a child and she was a man she wouldn't have gotten the same treatment and from all I've read that dude is basically a child. This was a predator who exploited a poor, black family who were desperate for help and didn't have any options and she knew it. whether she thought she was in a romance novel or not she is loving gross. When someone by your own admission scoots away from you when you're getting sexual with them (especially when they can't talk and from the gist of this weren't getting the so called assistance to do so) you should loving know to stop.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

poo poo, just using stupid pseudoscience poo poo like FC should probably be an imprisonable offense even if you didn't use it to rape someone.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Alereon posted:

Somebody should let the Pulitzer people know they hosed up and a BuzzFeed writer somehow made it to the final round of voting.

http://www.pulitzer.org/finalists/chris-hamby-buzzfeed-news

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Go look at the titles of the articles in Times.com's "newsfeed".

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Alereon posted:

hm yes I see go on

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Alereon posted:

As someone else posted, a Buzzfeed writer was on the Pulitzer short list for his work on the site. My dad was a journalist at a huge, well regarded paper and him and all his colleagues held their news division in well regard.

They use their clickbait to fund legitimately excellent and in depth journalism.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

whiteyfats posted:

People unironically defending Buzzfeed itt.

People unironically dismissing Buzzfeed News without actually knowing what it is itt.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Suicide or Homicide and a lot of heat and deflection brought by a Sheriff

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/17/us/michelle-oconnell-jeremy-banks.html

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

'Challenges' spread quickly through YouTube channels intended for, and belonging to, chidren, but YouTube doesn't seem to be able to do much about the fact that some of them appear to be designed by adults to create fetish material. I'm not sure if the link needs a tag but there's one photo of a child's bloodied foot, if you're sensitive to things like that.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Killingyouguy! posted:

'Challenges' spread quickly through YouTube channels intended for, and belonging to, chidren, but YouTube doesn't seem to be able to do much about the fact that some of them appear to be designed by adults to create fetish material. I'm not sure if the link needs a tag but there's one photo of a child's bloodied foot, if you're sensitive to things like that.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh. I'll just pack my bags and move into the mountains as soon as I get pregnant.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh. I'll just pack my bags and move into the mountains as soon as I get pregnant.

>CLICK HERE< for the Sarcopenia Mountain Pregnancy Challenge! :getin:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

This pisses me off so bad and in so many different ways. I'm Gen X and even before The Long September it was drilled into anyone going on the net to not give out your name, address, let along your loving picture. I'm absolutely aghast at how much info people let their kids pass out like candy on the internet. I was loving appalled that other parents are letting their elementary aged kids have youtube channels (to upload to the grandparents :downs:) and this is loving why.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Killingyouguy! posted:

The dude who wrote this did the Tickled documentary which is similarly about someone making personal fetish material under false pretenses and is REALLY GOOD

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Comrade Koba posted:

>CLICK HERE< for the Sarcopenia Mountain Pregnancy Challenge! :getin:

This makes me want to tear off my own skin. (Please do not make this a challenge)

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Jun 18, 2017

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Wait,what are these challenges about?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The dude who wrote this did the Tickled documentary which is similarly about someone making personal fetish material under false pretenses and is REALLY GOOD

I "avoided" this movie because I thought it was just about competitive tickling which didn't interest me. It was a good watch. I love documentaries that just unravel and spirals down rabbit holes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

I "avoided" this movie because I thought it was just about competitive tickling which didn't interest me. It was a good watch. I love documentaries that just unravel and spirals down rabbit holes.

Might I suggest Dear Zachary?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Staircase and The Staircase 2: Last Chance are solid documentaries. True crime/courtroom drama that's total fly-on-the-wall and compelling as hell. Things like The Jinx and Making a Murderer got all the attention while The Staircase went largely unnoticed for some reason but I think it's way better than either of those.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Peterson_(murder_suspect)

Don't read that if you want to watch the docs because it's best to go in cold.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why would you do such a thing? It's quicker to just get punched in the gut.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Leavemywife posted:

Wait,what are these challenges about?
They ask kids to post videos of themselves answering questions such as:

quote:

They appear to send out around 15 questions at a time, including “What would you do if you found a 1-inch tall guy you don’t like in your room at night, how would you react?” and “Let’s say you’re leaving your room to go to school, and suddenly you feel something in your sock, realizing the little guy you don’t like was inside your sock would you leave him inside all day to torture him?”

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

The Staircase and The Staircase 2: Last Chance are solid documentaries. True crime/courtroom drama that's total fly-on-the-wall and compelling as hell. Things like The Jinx and Making a Murderer got all the attention while The Staircase went largely unnoticed for some reason but I think it's way better than either of those.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Peterson_(murder_suspect)

Don't read that if you want to watch the docs because it's best to go in cold.

This is very good and I highly recommend it as well. I've been trying to remember the name of this doc for this thread, but couldn't remember enough details to get google to spit out the correct one.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
15 things you won't believe about compounded interest rates

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

This pisses me off so bad and in so many different ways. I'm Gen X and even before The Long September it was drilled into anyone going on the net to not give out your name, address, let along your loving picture. I'm absolutely aghast at how much info people let their kids pass out like candy on the internet. I was loving appalled that other parents are letting their elementary aged kids have youtube channels (to upload to the grandparents :downs:) and this is loving why.

The funny part is, with all the technology advances since the Gen X era, it's almost becoming easier for predators. Hell, it's scary just seeing news reports of how kids are being kidnapped (or close to it) because some stranger literally walks up while the parent is on the phone distracted, and *yoink*

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
You would think the people that grew up with the internet in their lives would be the first ones to decide their kids are going to live the first 15 years of their lives in a Faraday cage...

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BOOTY-ADE posted:

The funny part is, with all the technology advances since the Gen X era, it's almost becoming easier for predators. Hell, it's scary just seeing news reports of how kids are being kidnapped (or close to it) because some stranger literally walks up while the parent is on the phone distracted, and *yoink*

Isn't the rate of child abduction like pretty much the same as it's been the last century or so, just more widely reported on?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Isn't the rate of child abduction like pretty much the same as it's been the last century or so, just more widely reported on?

Yes, and stereotypical kidnappings are incredibly rare. The vast and overwhelming majority of child abductions are committed by family members.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-missing-children/2013/05/10/efee398c-b8b4-11e2-aa9e-a02b765ff0ea_story.html

quote:

In reality, though, all signs indicate that the problem has been improving. Many state missing-children agencies show declining numbers of cases. That trend is supported by FBI statistics showing fewer missing persons of all ages — down 31 percent between 1997 and 2011. The numbers of homicides, sexual assaults and almost all other crimes against children have been dropping, too.

Why fewer missing kids? Cellphones are almost certainly part of the explanation. When a friend of my son’s skiied off a trail and into the Maine wilderness near nightfall last winter, a cellphone call got the ski patrol to the right spot and short-circuited what could have been a lengthy search and a possible fatality. Cellphones allow children to summon help and get out of threatening situations. They enable parents to figure out where their kids are when they don’t come home. They afford teens a somewhat longer leash than in the past and thus help counteract one important motive — a quest for autonomy — for children who disappear on their own.

Many parents worry about their kids meeting unsavory characters online. But in light of the falling rates of crimes against children, the idea that the Internet amplifies danger is suspect. In fact, it may have contributed to the decline in missing children. For one thing, the Web has changed the way young people take risks: They do it more often at home. Instead of going to the unchaperoned open house or the keg party at the quarry, young people these days socialize and experiment online. Although they can meet people with bad intentions, the physical distance means that more time and thinking elapse between an encounter and a crime.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've seen it like a hundred times, but good recommend yeah.

Murder in the Park, Crazy Love, The Impostor, Team Foxcatcher, Reverend Death, The Honest Liar, The Life and Crimes of Dorris Payne, Tabloid, Touching the Void, Tallhotblond, The Woman Who Wasn't There, The Witness, Capturing The Friedmans are some of my recommendations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Capturing the Friedman's is fuckin dope, for those of you who haven't heard of it its about a family who was prosecuted for child molestation of the satanic panic variety who recorded their lives as home movies during the investigation and trial and the movie uses that footage liberally

It's a fantastic movie about how out of control those stories can get

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Sarcopenia posted:

Touching the Void

This is my favorite documentary. Pretty well done as I'm always "OMG is Joe gonna live???" as he is telling his story twenty years after it happened, obviously having lived.

Synopsis from Wikipedia:

quote:

In 1985, Joe Simpson and Simon Yates, both experienced mountaineers, set out to ascend the previously unclimbed West Face of Siula Grande in Peru. Though they reach the summit, a powerful storm develops and Joe suffers a badly broken leg in a fall during the descent. The pair attempt a self-rescue, deciding to lower Joe with ropes down the steep and snowy slope while an enormous storm rages on. Simon cannot see where he is lowering Joe and Joe eventually drops over the edge of a large cliff and is suspended by the rope in mid-air. Simon arrests his fall, but neither sees the predicament his partner is in nor hears him over the howling wind.

Unable to pull Joe back over the cliff and gradually losing traction in the loose snow, Simon realizes after about an hour that there is little chance of recovery from this situation for either of them and he decides to cut the rope connecting him with Joe. Simon descends after surviving a subzero and stormy night on the mountain but cannot find his partner. He assumes Joe is dead and returns to the base camp alone, where he stays to recover.

Joe, however, has actually survived the fall and is now trapped in a large crevasse. He manages to lower himself further into the dark abyss and finds an exit leading to the base of the mountain. He then spends days crawling back to base camp across glaciers and rocks, despite his broken leg, frostbite, and severe dehydration. Exhausted and near delirium, Joe reaches camp only a few hours before Simon intends to leave and return to civilization.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Talhotblonde is a good one.

everyone is lying. No Jessi, no Tommy. I think the original boyfriend is the only innocent victim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This is my favorite documentary. Pretty well done as I'm always "OMG is Joe gonna live???" as he is telling his story twenty years after it happened, obviously having lived.

Synopsis from Wikipedia:

I read the book, it's a very harrowing ordeal.