Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Anyone build a remote start that just cuts the engine/start attempt if a wheel speed sensor detects movement and the key is not in the ignition (or in car if proximity key/push button start)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
When I work at the parts store, we sent a delivery to a sketchy tuning shop. One of the cars in their lot was a manual car, parked in gear, and it had remote start, and yes, it started, and drove right into the side of the parked delivery Fiesta. This resulted in a 2 vehicle accident where both cars were unoccupied.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

gently caress it; I will always love this god drat shifter.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Old glory hole shifter. So strange.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Enjoy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

White gauges can gently caress off forever

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
You have to admit they were the poo poo back in the day though. Only thing more early 2000's is Altezza style lights on everything. I remember actively trying to figure out, and eventually finding over-lay gages for my 88 Prelude.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

savesthedayrocks posted:

You have to admit they were the poo poo back in the day though. Only thing more early 2000's is Altezza style lights on everything. I remember actively trying to figure out, and eventually finding over-lay gages for my 88 Prelude.

Heck yeah, I put two different sets in my Tercel back then. They were hot poo poo.

e: dug up some of my old rice rice baby pictures. First set were regular indiglo, second set were reverse backlit. Eventually I took them off and put LED bulbs in when that became a thing.

opengl fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 18, 2017

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The second set of white ones look cool

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That reminds me of the Corolla Verso D4D I rented in Germany. Why doesn't toyota sell versos in the US? They're great for pretty much any application where people want a 3rd row for a short period. I guess straight up profit from suvs is the answer, but I don't want it to be.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My 2009 Evo has a keyfob and a weird pseudo ignition barrel thing you turn like you would a key to start the car.

its the worst of both worlds!

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Every time I drive with a wide-stanced passenger in my 5-speed Yaris I wish it had the shifter there as I grab my passenger's knee in 5th gear.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Laserface posted:

My 2009 Evo has a keyfob and a weird pseudo ignition barrel thing you turn like you would a key to start the car.

NC Miata and W203 Mercedes would like a word with you

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
The Element also had a weird shifter.

The gauges were kind of neat though - they had cones of clear plastic on them - meant to reduce glare. The mk1 Scirocco has gauges like that too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Every modern van has that type of shifter too - works much better than a long stick coming up from the floor like they used to use.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

blk posted:

NC Miata and W203 Mercedes would like a word with you

Also my old '07 Rx8.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

My '12 Mustang has the flipmode of that; flicking the key to "start" for a fraction of a second just tells the ECU to run the cranking program, which has ruined me for cars with traditional cranking setups.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

My '12 Mustang has the flipmode of that; flicking the key to "start" for a fraction of a second just tells the ECU to run the cranking program, which has ruined me for cars with traditional cranking setups.

I've had a few rental cars with that feature, love it. Definitely Fords, I had a Vauxhall in Scotland recently that had it too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

opengl128 posted:

I've had a few rental cars with that feature, love it. Definitely Fords, I had a Vauxhall in Scotland recently that had it too.

Ford has some really smart small usability touches all around. That cranking feature, one-touch up/down windows all around on most cars, and the capless fuel filler system are all great.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

one-touch up/down windows

How is this not more common? VW has had it for a long time but pretty much everyone else only has auto down and then only on the front two windows at best.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Twerk from Home posted:

Ford has some really smart small usability touches all around. That cranking feature, one-touch up/down windows all around on most cars, and the capless fuel filler system are all great.

I love the cranking thing. It's not even in the manual for the car because I noticed and looked for it. In the manual it says to keep the key held on start until the engine turns, but the car does it on its own. Push button start is an option on the Fiesta so it's like they kept the same start circuitry for the regular ignition barrel too.

It didn't have all one-touch windows (the Fiesta in the UK does IIRC) but it did have capless fuel.

Another feature that is cool but few manufacturers have or market it is "convenience windows". Hold the unlock button on the keyfob and all 4 windows roll down. Hold lock for the opposite.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 19, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That roll down the windows with the keyfob thing is maybe my favorite thing about my car. It's a god send in these Southern summers.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
A 10+ y/o holden commodore does these things, eg turn to start mentioned and it cranks itself, auto up windows, auto locks.
Shame about the rest of the car though, feels less solid, worse onboard trip computer, has a lovely v6, worse trim, steering and switches than a falcon. But GM gets the start and windows better.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I rented a brand new grand Cherokee. It turns off whenever the car comes to a complete stop. It's bizzare.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

euphronius posted:

I rented a brand new grand Cherokee. It turns off whenever the car comes to a complete stop. It's bizzare.

A lot of cars do that now. It gets them another 0.1 mpg on the EPA test.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The remote window down works on my 'Stang, but windows up does not. :(

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

Not that bizarre. Every Prius, years of BMWs, tons of domestic non-hybrids.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well it was bizarre to me

Can the wear and tear in the starter possibly be worth it ?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
They use a different starter technology (I am not sure on the technical details but would like to learn) so there is no tangible increase in wear.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not even the starter. They use an over-built alternator and push voltage back through it to turn the engine over. It only works if the engine oil is above a certain temperature and a bunch of other factors.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

Well it was bizarre to me

Can the wear and tear in the starter possibly be worth it ?

Ship a bigger starter and bigger battery and it's not an issue. On the Prius, the engine cranks by having the computer drive the two motor/generators in a way that, combined with the wheel speed through a planetary gearset, forces the engine to turn.

KillHour posted:

It's not even the starter. They use an over-built alternator and push voltage back through it to turn the engine over. It only works if the engine oil is above a certain temperature and a bunch of other factors.

The difference between an electric motor and a generator/alternator is mostly how you use it. Full EVs and hybrids don't have separate units for drive and regen. If you're running the starter more than once per drive, and beefing it up appropriately, why not combine it with the alternator and replace some mechanical complexity with electronic?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Why does everyone like the one-touch-down windows? Am I the only one that likes to open my windows partway more often than all the way?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KillHour posted:

That makes sense . Thanks

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

prom candy posted:

Why does everyone like the one-touch-down windows? Am I the only one that likes to open my windows partway more often than all the way?

I assumed the one-touch-down window feature is like what I've had in cars, where your window control is either force-sensitive so you push it down manually or push it down harder and it clicks and moves the window all the way, or another car where you can tap it quickly for full-down or just keep holding it to get the amount you want. Handy when you want to crack the windows but usually I want them either down or up.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

prom candy posted:

Having to hold your finger on a button for three seconds is the height of inconvenience.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

prom candy posted:

you can certainly do that with one-touch window switches

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I rented an older f250 yesterday from Home Depot and my son was with me. He didn't know what the manual roll down window levers were or how to operate them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

euphronius posted:

I rented an older f250 yesterday from Home Depot and my son was with me. He didn't know what the manual roll down window levers were or how to operate them.

Pick up an old phone and make him literally dial a number. It will blow his mind.

Then play some Cribbage with him while you listen to the Green Hornet on the radio.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Ship a bigger starter and bigger battery and it's not an issue. On the Prius, the engine cranks by having the computer drive the two motor/generators in a way that, combined with the wheel speed through a planetary gearset, forces the engine to turn.

The difference between an electric motor and a generator/alternator is mostly how you use it. Full EVs and hybrids don't have separate units for drive and regen. If you're running the starter more than once per drive, and beefing it up appropriately, why not combine it with the alternator and replace some mechanical complexity with electronic?

Because the alternator is on an accessory belt that can't bare the full power of a cold start. That only works well when the engine is already warmed up. And after doing some research, it looks like different manufacturers handle it differently - some use modified starters with two independent solenoids, some use the alternator (and can even use that same alternator to run things like the AC when the engine is off - there's a clutch that disconnects the belt from the drive), and Mazda has a crazy system where the alternator moves whichever cylinder is under compression into position and the engine then turns itself over with a little help from the starter.

quote:

The i-Stop system, Mazda’s first start stop system, detects which piston is in the best position to restart quickest, which is the one in the combustion stroke phase, where air and fuel are in the cylinder, ready to be ignited. The mixture in this cylinder is ignited by the spark plug, forcing that piston down, and with partial-assistance from the starter motor, results in a near instantaneous engine restart time of 0.35 seconds.[24]

In 2011, Mazda announced i-ELOOP, a system which uses a variable-voltage alternator to convert kinetic energy to electric power during deceleration. The energy stored in a double-layer capacitor, is used to supply power needed by vehicle electrical systems. When used in conjunction with Mazda’s start-stop system, i-Stop, the company claims fuel savings of up to 10%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

A starter motor is vastly undersized for the job it's doing. It it runs for more than a few seconds it will melt down because it's being deliberately overloaded to start the car.

That was actually the engineering breakthrough that Cadillac made to make electric starters possible in the first place. Everyone had looked at the equations for designing an electric motor and concluded an electric starter motor would have to be as big as the engine itself, and thus impractical. Cadillac engineers realized that the equations assumed a steady state, so that heat could dissipate as fast as it formed.

They figured out that they could use the whole motor as a temporary heat sink and overload the poo poo out of a small motor for a few seconds to get the engine going. By the time the heat built up, the engine would be going and the starter could be shut off.

Thus, unless you have an integrated electric drive system like a hybrid, trying to use the starter motor to generate electricity would quickly burn it out. Hence there is a separate alternator.