Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

where does the 3 years come from

Goku spends three years with Vegeta in the hypersonic lion tamer before the U6 tournament. Its where we got bearded Goku from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Also:

Tao kicks Goku's rear end, Goku goes and trains with Korin, Goku clowns Tao

King Piccolo kicks Goku's rear end while old, Goku receives ultra divine water and is on Full Power Piccolo's level

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't remember bearded goku

did he go super saiyan with the beard

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

No, Bulma made them shower and shave before they left

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Caros
May 14, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol someone is arguing power levels were ever consistent.

Power Levels, as in the thing you get from scouters never were. In universe power scaling? It made sense within the rules given.

Pureauthor posted:

Goku trains for a year with King Kai: goes from Weaker-Than-RaditZ tier to Vegeta tier.

Goku trains for like a week in space: goes from Vegeta tier to 'clowning on entire Ginyu force tier'.

Goku gets beat up and healed once: Goes from 'clowning on Ginyu force' tier to 'matching 33% of Final Form Freeza' tier.

This is actually my point. Goku gets wrecked by Radditz, goes to train with someone new and comes back much stronger. Goku trains under extreme conditions (and abuses Zenkai) and gets very strong very fast and so forth. The specific numbers are stupid, but the internal logic is there. You know there is another level to reach, you devise some new method to reach it. Whether that is training in gravity, mastering super saiyan, ascending beyond, fusion, crazy ritual etc. Even Freeza gets substantially stronger, and we are given an in universe reason why that makes sense.

The only difference with Super is that it lacks a bunch of these, which leads to really, really weird interactions.

Goku fights Goku Black and clowns on him. Goku Black gets stronger for... reasons. Repeat for the entirety of the arc. Goku black is constantly powering up for reasons that are never adequately explained. He just is.

Goku gathers all of the various fighters, some of whom have drastically increased in strength in the course of an afternoon. Gohan went from being a chump to, apparently, being able to fight with SSJB Goku in the midst of an afternoon based on nothing more than Piccolo smacktalking him about how bad he sucked. Piccolo also somehow reached the ability to fight with a God Ki wielding character off screen. I guess. As did Tien, apparently.

Characters in dragonball have always increased their power by leaps and bounds in very short time periods. The difference with super is that in a lot of times they're not even bothering with the flimsy pretext. Whether that is good or bad is a different argument entirely.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Caros posted:

Power Levels, as in the thing you get from scouters never were. In universe power scaling? It made sense within the rules given.

The rules given being "what is convenient for the plot at the moment"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Little Mac posted:

I think that was my favorite episode of Super. Freeza is very, very scary. Seeing him struggle with the Destruction Ball and try to turn on everyone was great. What is the way out of this horrible, horrible deal Goku made?

Make a wish on the Dragon Balls to have Frieza and Frost trade universes. He'll be their problem and Goku just has to deal with Frieza's much weaker/more cowardly version.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I enjoy the stuff happening with Freeza right now a lot more than I did when he had the Resurrection F stuff happen, and I think it's because we're getting something different with Frieza this time. He's being put into new situations and interacting with a lot of new characters but he's still a total piece of poo poo and it's great. But in RoF he was just like "im gonna kill that goku" which wasn't super interesting beyond the gimmick of him being back from the dead. it was just too similar to what happened in the Namek saga

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Caros posted:

This is actually my point. Goku gets wrecked by Radditz, goes to train with someone new and comes back much stronger. Goku trains under extreme conditions (and abuses Zenkai) and gets very strong very fast and so forth. The specific numbers are stupid, but the internal logic is there. You know there is another level to reach, you devise some new method to reach it. Whether that is training in gravity, mastering super saiyan, ascending beyond, fusion, crazy ritual etc. Even Freeza gets substantially stronger, and we are given an in universe reason why that makes sense.

The only difference with Super is that it lacks a bunch of these, which leads to really, really weird interactions.

Goku fights Goku Black and clowns on him. Goku Black gets stronger for... reasons. Repeat for the entirety of the arc. Goku black is constantly powering up for reasons that are never adequately explained. He just is.

Goku gathers all of the various fighters, some of whom have drastically increased in strength in the course of an afternoon. Gohan went from being a chump to, apparently, being able to fight with SSJB Goku in the midst of an afternoon based on nothing more than Piccolo smacktalking him about how bad he sucked. Piccolo also somehow reached the ability to fight with a God Ki wielding character off screen. I guess. As did Tien, apparently.

Characters in dragonball have always increased their power by leaps and bounds in very short time periods. The difference with super is that in a lot of times they're not even bothering with the flimsy pretext. Whether that is good or bad is a different argument entirely.

Remember when Krillin and co trained with Kami to become three times as strong as Goku did when he trained with Kami in like a third of the time.

Because I do.

Remember when Goku chased a cat for three days and nearly doubled his power

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 18, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Remember when Piccolo fused with Kami, a guy who paled before the likes of Vegeta, let alone the androids, and became as strong as Android 17 and first form Cell?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hell Kami couldn't beat Piccolo.

The one who got owned by Raditz.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Resurrecting Freeza is both the dumbest idea ever and the most Goku idea ever.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol you think Goku is gonna bother making a team.

He is gonna solo the tourney.

Lol if you think the manga is ever going to move away from fighting Zamasu.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Resurrecting Freeza is both the dumbest idea ever and the most Goku idea ever.

Imagine a venn diagram, there's one circle labeled "dumb ideas" and one circle labeled "Goku ideas".

Now imagine them completely overlapping each other.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://imgur.com/a/ola3h

ArcSys is good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm sorry we had multiple pages here and not one of them pointing out how Frieza just Hokuto no Ken'd some dudes.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Freeza going all Kenshiro on those dudes was great. I feel that this arc will end with Freeza either becoming a GoD, or just getting totally erased in the opening round

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That was a drat good episode. I'm a bit worried though, do you think that maybe resurrecting Frieza was a bad idea?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RoF at the very least saved Frieza from being completely trapped in Joke Villain Status that he'd been in a for a long rear end time. Like they're even making fun of how weak Frieza is in the 2008 JSAT special, to say nothing of how he gets Saitama'd in Movie 12 or how GT treats him.

It's interesting too how Frieza keeps actually taking Goku's advice to some extent. When he gets revived the first time he decides to actually train. When Goku mentions the thing about stamina at the end of RoF, that's the one thing Frieza focuses on improving in hell just on the off chance he might be able to escape or get revived again. It very much reminds me of how on Namek, Vegeta tries adopting tactics the Earthlings used against him.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dragon Ball is about self improvement. Goku can't teach to save his life, but he can easily point out your flaws to you so that you can try to fix them yourself.

:shrug:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

<- me this whole episode

also :ughh: goku you loving idiot

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Caros posted:

This isn't exactly right. Tien was getting decimated in that fight; he is very clearly not near as strong as Piccolo, Gohan, or Goku and very quickly was like 'okay this is way too much for me', while Gohan had to beg his dad to actually go all out and got defeated in one punch once he did.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Just resurrect Frieza in whichever universe has the highest caliber of mortals. You know, the ones who don't have to participate in the tournament because they're just that good. He'd still be an evil prick, but relative to everyone else in that universe he'd be Mr. Satan. Solves the problem, fulfills the letter of the deal and it's properly ironic. I mean, can you imagine a fate that would make him angrier?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rangpur posted:

Just resurrect Frieza in whichever universe has the highest caliber of mortals. You know, the ones who don't have to participate in the tournament because they're just that good. He'd still be an evil prick, but relative to everyone else in that universe he'd be Mr. Satan. Solves the problem, fulfills the letter of the deal and it's properly ironic. I mean, can you imagine a fate that would make him angrier?

So Frost

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP1v6UtRBHY

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Goku could just... you know... not actually resurrect Frieza.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

The Skeep posted:

That would be very rude.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

The Skeep posted:

But if Goku starts lying, how would we know he's the good guy?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Skeep posted:

Goku isn't going to do it, he will make Bulma resurrect Freeza just like he made her fulfill all of his other promises.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
With the way the show keeps telling us Frieza has something planned and he's totally going to try to pull some poo poo at the tournament, I think our boy's going to get his poo poo erased. Frieza thinks he's this big chessmaster but it seems like everyone (except Goku, and probably Zeno by extension) sees right through him

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Was there a rule forbidding gods from entering the tournament?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sindai posted:

But if Goku starts lying, how would we know he's the good guy?

Goku's the good guy?

bowmore posted:

Considering the Gods had to recruit 10 mortals for the tournament, we can guess so, yeah. Besides, if that wasn't the case, you know every GoD would jump right in.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
I was on the fence about Freeza being a last minute replacement, but the last 2 episodes have been insanely good. He is fun, he brings a unique dynamic, and they are definitely foreshadowing him becoming a future god of destruction.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The Skeep posted:

What, and not test himself against an extremely powerful opponent?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

bowmore posted:

I remember the episodes before the first universe tournament, beerus and champa fighting each other was erasing everything around them

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

WISH 1: Wish Freeza back
WISH 2: Into the DEAD ZONE
WISH 3: something something king kai hmmm don't remember give roshi young gals i guess

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bowmore posted:

Beerus should slip Krillin some Hakai blasts :twisted:

Little Mac posted:

WISH 1: Wish Freeza back
WISH 2: Into the DEAD ZONE
WISH 3: something something king kai hmmm don't remember give roshi young gals i guess

Freeza is likely strong enough to "Planeshift via yelling"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Beerus should slip Krillin some Hakai blasts :twisted:

Yes, because Krillin has such good luck with hitting people with attacks guaranteed to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

please stop trying to get your friend and mine, the most powerful human, krillin disqualified for killing someone

• Locked thread