Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah what he ran himself out of the NFL with this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's cool that Colin Kaepernick got blackballed from the NFL for daring to protest the repeated and sustained extrajudicial murder of black Americans.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Sataere posted:

The problem with that is when the new GM they bring in two years later gets to capitalize on your plan. :v:

You can do most of that without tanking. I get the seeming value in tearing it down, but trading established pieces for hope in football is a dangerous and unnecessary game.

You can churn your roster for depth and just acquire draft picks without tanking, all the while trying to maximize the talent you have.

Agreed, the bolded is exactly the problem. The first year of the Pete C and John S FO for Seattle, they had an extra first round pick because of a trade the previous GM made. That pick turned into Earl Thomas.

If you gave one of the smart goons 5-years guaranteed as GM with total contract and personnel control, they would perform well above the mean GM. Simple things like "don't give old rb's huge contracts" and "trade down to diversify risk" are concepts too convoluted for existing gms.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Said Goon GM will have that team's fans crucify him on sight for drafting 12 straight OL though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

If you gave one of the smart goons 5-years guaranteed as GM with total contract and personnel control, they would perform well above the mean GM. Simple things like "don't give old rb's huge contracts" and "trade down to diversify risk" are concepts too convoluted for existing gms.

whypick1 posted:

Said Goon GM will have that team's fans crucify him on sight for drafting 12 straight OL though.

There's not that much outrage against Ted except by people who think free agency is a good way to build your team.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

whypick1 posted:

The most erotic smash mouth possible

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
IMO a team that spent all their offensive draft picks on linemen, tight ends, and linebacker sized runningbacks is the most erotic thing possible

Even better if they just do away with quarterbacks entirely and run a crazy version of the wishbone

Like imagine a team that's just a combination of Dallas and Tennessee's linemen with Derrick Henry, Blount, Fournette all lining up every snap and just alternating who it's snapped to. Oh yeah and add some fullbacks too that's the good stuff

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Raku posted:

Tennessee's linemen with Derrick Henry,

I don't have to baby

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hook 'em :(

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/06/17/vince-young-saskatchewan-roughriders-hamstring-injury

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's cool that Colin Kaepernick got blackballed from the NFL for daring to protest the repeated and sustained extrajudicial murder of black Americans.

A lot of players have and are still in the league because they don't suck.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Volkerball posted:

There are worse QBs than Kaep that are still in the league with backup and possibly even starting jobs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Volkerball posted:

They were not quarterbacks and they were not the target of sustained national attention.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CyberPingu posted:

There are worse QBs than Kaep that are still in the league with backup and possibly even starting jobs.

There's not many worse pocket passers. He doesn't fit for a lot of teams. And no, he got beat out by Blaine Gabbert. If that happens to you, you're not exactly bringing a team competition.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
He didn't get beat out by Blaine Gabbert he was recovering from multiple surgeries dude.

Also
https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/872562095669358592

Kaepernick is absolutely being blackballed

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

also pictured in this excel spreadsheet: hue jackson making something out of nothing

come back hue. we love you still

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

whypick1 posted:

I mean, people were making GBS threads on Dallas for doing this until they realized they were dominant. I think it'd be fine.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Agreed, the bolded is exactly the problem. The first year of the Pete C and John S FO for Seattle, they had an extra first round pick because of a trade the previous GM made. That pick turned into Earl Thomas.

Although the John S FO is way ahead of the curve, because they don't give a poo poo where you are drafted, if you can play. Being aware of sunk costs would go a very long way.

poo poo, if I were a GM, mid-tier FA's would be my jam. Everyone wants a playmaker so badly, they don't appreciate the impact a few boring, dependable guys can have on an offensive and defensive line. Give me a bunch of dudes for a bit over the vet minimum who don't blow their assignments.

I'll find my playmakers in the draft, thank you very much.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

SKULL.GIF posted:

They were not quarterbacks and they were not the target of sustained national attention.

Landry Jones got a 2nd contract from the Steelers, yet Kaep is unemployed. MAGA, bitches

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Don't we know the league office flat out told Seattle not to sign him?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

FizFashizzle posted:

It's not concrete but it's as possible as any other leak.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

FizFashizzle posted:

As if the NFLPA would do anything.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Plus all the articles about NFL executives thinking what he did was the worst thing ever done by a player, and the direct quotes from Mara. Kaepernick being blackballed isn't some conspiracy it's all been laid out.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Clearest case of blackballing since Ser Barrold, which will go down in textbooks as the most obvious blackballing poo poo of all time

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol Volker

Just lol

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

can you imagine being such an idiot hellfucker that you think kaepernic isnt getting blacklisted

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It'd be a lot more clear if he didn't actually suck rear end. As it is, there's a ton of "Michael Sam was the SEC player of the year!" bullshit floating around.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Volkerball posted:

It'd be a lot more clear if he didn't actually suck rear end. As it is, there's a ton of "Michael Sam was the SEC player of the year!" bullshit floating around.

He played well enough in certain schemes that he absolutely could/should have found a job by now. Michael Sam never made a 53 man roster, Kaep played at a high level for a period of time, even Tebow with how bad he looked got far more chances than Kaep is getting.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kaepernick sucked so bad he threw 16 TD's to 4 ints last year on an offense where the best receiver was Jeremy Kerley

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dig deeper

Click post history

Be amazed

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Flikken posted:

He played well enough in certain schemes that he absolutely could/should have found a job by now. Michael Sam never made a 53 man roster, Kaep played at a high level for a period of time, even Tebow with how bad he looked got far more chances than Kaep is getting.

Decker is still out there. Free agency is still going on. That a player hasn't been signed as this point doesn't inherently mean he won't, or that teams are refusing to sign him. And Tebow got signed right before training camp once or twice. The thing with kaep is he has always been a more effective running as a qb than as a passer. So a lot of teams will value a lovely pocket qb over a lovely kaep just because they fit their team better. Especially if lovely pocket qb has already been on the team for a few years and knows the offense. What team is kaep legit a good fit for that needed a backup that didn't sign him?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kalli posted:

Kaepernick sucked so bad he threw 16 TD's to 4 ints last year on an offense where the best receiver was Jeremy Kerley

News to me. He was putting up garbage stats last I knew.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah in 2015 he was horrible, and got outright benched for Gabbert. He was actually alright last year tho?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Volkerball posted:

Yeah in 2015 he was horrible, and got outright benched for Gabbert. He was actually alright last year tho?

Kaep was better last year than at least couple of guys who are projected to be starting this year. Also, he should be 100% recovered from his surgery now. He is absolutely being blackballed.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Volkerball posted:

Decker is still out there. Free agency is still going on. That a player hasn't been signed as this point doesn't inherently mean he won't, or that teams are refusing to sign him. And Tebow got signed right before training camp once or twice. The thing with kaep is he has always been a more effective running as a qb than as a passer. So a lot of teams will value a lovely pocket qb over a lovely kaep just because they fit their team better. Especially if lovely pocket qb has already been on the team for a few years and knows the offense. What team is kaep legit a good fit for that needed a backup that didn't sign him?

Eric Decker was just recently released while Kaep has been a free agent for all of this off season thus far and has only gotten one look.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I can imagine an argument that he's only ever had success in very specific offenses and coaches don't think his talents can broadly translate. Also many might think he's just bad enough as a starter to keep you from competing, and just good enough as a backup that pressure will build to start him

On the other hand Christian hackenburg is winning a qb competition so

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

I can imagine an argument that he's only ever had success in very specific offenses and coaches don't think his talents can broadly translate. Also many might think he's just bad enough as a starter to keep you from competing, and just good enough as a backup that pressure will build to start him

On the other hand Christian hackenburg is winning a qb competition so

This entire post x 10. It's hilarious seeing someone even attempt to justify what's happening to Kaep as an indication of his talent level when you see teams signing Jimmy Clausen to a 2nd contract

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

He should transfer to Michigan.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Matt schaub completely implodes and gets another contract, fitz keeps getting contracts, Matt Cassel keeps getting contracts, but kaep can't hmmm yeah totally nothing going on

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Although I absolutely believe no one in Seattle wants anything resembling a starting qb behind Wilson seeing as how much the rest of the team hates him.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Amy Pole Her posted:

This entire post x 10. It's hilarious seeing someone even attempt to justify what's happening to Kaep as an indication of his talent level when you see teams signing Jimmy Clausen to a 2nd contract

I just want to reiterate that a team with Martavis Bryant, Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell, as well as a having a QB who regularly misses games thinks it's better to employ Landry loving Jones than a guy who was 1 completion away from having a Super Bowl ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I am colon kappwrnixk

• Locked thread