Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bust Rodd posted:

I was part of a Facebook group that all they did was pitch the most insane "who would win" scenarios and one of the best I ever saw was Kratos vs Dante and everyone in the thread was like 10/1 Kratos to Dante but I valiantly championed Dante, mostly by proving that the Greek Gods and the Titans are basically punks.

My unpopular opinion is that Dante (OG, obviously) would effortlessly style on any other video game protagonist ever. Doom Guy, Gordo Freemo, Adam Jensen, 2B, literally every final fantasy character at the same time. It would be a SSSlaughterhouse all the way to the top.

Dante's hair stylist vs. Kratos's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The only good Dragonball was pre-Z Dragonball, and a fighting game based on that would be way more fun. (Though an adventure game punctuated with fighting game sequences would be better still.)

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Bust Rodd posted:

I was part of a Facebook group that all they did was pitch the most insane "who would win" scenarios and one of the best I ever saw was Kratos vs Dante and everyone in the thread was like 10/1 Kratos to Dante but I valiantly championed Dante, mostly by proving that the Greek Gods and the Titans are basically punks.

My unpopular opinion is that Dante (OG, obviously) would effortlessly style on any other video game protagonist ever. Doom Guy, Gordo Freemo, Adam Jensen, 2B, literally every final fantasy character at the same time. It would be a SSSlaughterhouse all the way to the top.

asura

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcKoAgLd6NQ&t=469s

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Gang beasts is the best fighting game

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The best and most pure Super Mario game is the "Secret" levels in Super Mario Sunshine and Nintendo should release a full game that is nothing but a bunch of those as challenges along with a mario maker style stage creation utility for community stuff

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

signalnoise posted:

The best and most pure Super Mario game is the "Secret" levels in Super Mario Sunshine and Nintendo should release a full game that is nothing but a bunch of those as challenges along with a mario maker style stage creation utility for community stuff

I never saw what was so great about Mario 64, even at the time it and Banjo Kazooie looked boring and ugly af to me...

But I REALLY want to play Mario Sunshine cause I know I would love it but the dealbreaker for me is I heard the optional blue coin collectables are not tracked anywhere in-game other than your total number (like, you can't see how many you have from each individual level) and the completionist autist in me would go into an epileptic fit at the thought of all the time I would be wasting tracking all that bullshit down.

That said, I can't wait for Mario Odyssey :allears:

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

This game had some really cool bossfights. Did they ever make a sequel?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

beep by grandpa posted:

I never saw what was so great about Mario 64, even at the time it and Banjo Kazooie looked boring and ugly af to me...

But I REALLY want to play Mario Sunshine cause I know I would love it but the dealbreaker for me is I heard the optional blue coin collectables are not tracked anywhere in-game other than your total number (like, you can't see how many you have from each individual level) and the completionist autist in me would go into an epileptic fit at the thought of all the time I would be wasting tracking all that bullshit down.

That said, I can't wait for Mario Odyssey :allears:

Mario 64 didn't look ugly to me at the time because they worked with the limits of their technology instead of against them. They didn't go for realism and they kept things simple. That's why it's aged better than most of its contemporaries.

It was boring, though.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Dunkey is one of the worst ecelebs with garbage taste in video games.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Maya Fey posted:

everyone who plays dota or league should be executed on live television

This should be popular opinion though.

SuperSlacker
Mar 11, 2007

fps games are incredibly overrated and theres too many of them

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SpaceClown posted:

Yeah but decent comedic timing is decent comedic timing. He does remind me of "that guy" who was way too into Gamestop culture in high school.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Portal was popular not just because of solid mechanics and memelords, but also because it was a puzzle game with a good storyline, something that virtually all other puzzle games lack.

Not all games have to tell stories, and having a threadbare narrative to weave gameplay together works (Nioh), but a lot of puzzle games have this college-bonghit air about them where they expect you to be utterly blown away by a concept instead of what portal did: player agency + a believable and formidable conflict/antagonist x worldbuilding and narrative through level design = a good loving vibeo james story.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SpaceClown posted:

I think he's hilarious, but agree.

In his recent E3 video he started gushing about these dime-a-dozen indie games and I thought it was a joke, but he unironically likes that garbage.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

a bone to pick posted:

In his recent E3 video he started gushing about these dime-a-dozen indie games and I thought it was a joke, but he unironically likes that garbage.

*Makes an indie game where you do nothing but walk slowly from place to place as voice files play*

"Video games are art!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Portal was popular not just because of solid mechanics and memelords, but also because it was a puzzle game with a good storyline, something that virtually all other puzzle games lack.

Not all games have to tell stories, and having a threadbare narrative to weave gameplay together works (Nioh), but a lot of puzzle games have this college-bonghit air about them where they expect you to be utterly blown away by a concept instead of what portal did: player agency + a believable and formidable conflict/antagonist x worldbuilding and narrative through level design = a good loving vibeo james story.
This is exactly why I hated Thomas Was Alone, but loved Naissance. The former was basically a tech demo for pre-school teachers about how cool games could be as a teaching tool... provided the kid can juggle multiple character puzzle-solving platforming and have really solid verbal comprehension skills... the latter was basically the scaffolding sections from the back half of Portal 2 with no real narrative and done in varying shades of greyscale with nightmare architecture and it was amazing because the puzzle and the primal were bridged seamlessly with the style even though the scaffolding bits of Portal 2 kind-of sucked.

But nope people love Thomas Was Alone because goddamn that concept man.

a bone to pick posted:

He gushed entirely about AAA releases, two indie sequels to established franchises, and 1 sprite-based kickstarter game for like 3 seconds. Dude's video is a straight-up ad that gets a pass with gamers because he talks a bit of poo poo on some of the big titles while still giving them wide exposure and shoves in some jokes about Big Wheel or Knack 2.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 18, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

He gushed entirely about AAA releases, two indie sequels to established franchises, and 1 sprite-based kickstarter game for like 3 seconds. Dude's video is a straight-up ad that gets a pass with gamers because he talks a bit of poo poo on some of the big titles while still giving them wide exposure and shoves in some jokes about Big Wheel or Knack 2.

Nah he pretty much poo poo on any game that wasn't from Nintendo or an indie dev, I still love him though.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Fans should not have opinions. They gently caress everything up. Find me the room where they have these survey-monkeys tied to electric chairs and I'll give the fuckers the voltage to run the supercomputer of their wet dreams.

gently caress the fans of everything. They're nothing but drug addicts so they should shut up and dose up.

(please ignore any other posts I have made here)

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
And DBZ can eat poo poo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chomp8645 posted:

*Makes an indie game where you do nothing but walk slowly from place to place as voice files play*

"Video games are art!"

*reads book where people talk to each other and do things*

books are art too holy shittt

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Can a video game exist without any component you would consider art?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

gently caress You Gamers

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SpaceClown posted:

Dunkey is one of the best ecelebs because he makes entertaining content and I dont have to give a poo poo about his opinion on anything because I like jokes

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

sebmojo posted:

*reads book where people talk to each other and do things*

books are art too holy shittt

:eyepop:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Game reviewers should have enough knowledge of the genre of the game they're reviewing to say whether or not they think fans of that genre will generally enjoy that game instead of just saying how they personally feel about the game, while also providing a perspective accessible to people new to that genre

Metacritic is a terrible website

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
X-Play was the only good videogame review show

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Every single game review site/magazine/Youtuber is trash

E: unless they just yell at how bad the game is like AVGN. 'Objective' game reviews are as bad as music reviews

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

X-Play gave a traditional shmup a bad rating for having vertical letterboxing

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

X-Play gave a traditional shmup a bad rating for having vertical letterboxing

good, you just proved my point

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

good, you just proved my point

The spirit of the thread title is alive

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Chomp8645 posted:

"Video games are art!"

Gone Home had me on the edge of my seat despite the fact that a) i didn't care about the lesbian love story or b) really didn't care about borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered 90's. it's builds an ominous sense of tension that if it were longer than a couple hours would feel drawn out but it is what it is. i liked it but i dont blame anyone for not liking it

is it art? ehh yeah i guess. if i spent $15 on it i would be mad but i got it in a bundle.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
The Switch is worthless to me until Nintendo lets us back up our save data; you know, that thing that we've been able to do for over 20 years now.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

a bone to pick posted:

false

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zw45mFfTY0

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

basic hitler posted:

Can a video game exist without any component you would consider art?

Tetris, off the top of my head.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pedrovay2003 posted:

The Switch is worthless to me until Nintendo lets us back up our save data; you know, that thing that we've been able to do for over 20 years now.

i too am waiting for someone to mod the switch for homebrew

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Dennis System posted:

Tetris, off the top of my head.

weird that russian folk music and graphics aren't art to you

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

basic hitler posted:

weird that russian folk music and graphics aren't art to you

I forgot about the music, but the graphics just depict a few blocks, whose only function is as puzzle pieces. I don't consider those block art anymore than I consider individual Legos to be art.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

pedrovay2003 posted:

my unpopular opinion: This is the gayest reason not to get a Switch

Oh no, my video games might be erased

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Prototype 2 was fun but ridiculous overpowered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Saint's Row? Better than GTA.