Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I always said if I had a boy I'd name him Kain after the dragoon guy in ff2. That name owns though.

Also I never had kids so bullet dodged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm going to name my kid Obby, short for Obnoxious Thread Derail.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I knew someone who loved Harry Potter so much that she named her son Harry, and I'm like "Welp, there goes his future."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that JK Rowling picked the name Harry Potter because it was the most average name she could think of, and now because of the books success it's no longer safe.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
It's cool to be above it all and name your kid whatever you want until you find the video of them online buying a ton of bubble wrap.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Desperado Bones posted:

My best friend is named after a King Diamond song and she HATES it, even if the name is fairly normal. And there's a bunch of young adults and teens in my country named after anime characters :allears:
Just give your kids normal names, or don't let them know you named them after something you used like when you conceived them.

Holy poo poo.. Thats a fate worse than eternal torment in hell.

King Diamond

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Desperado Bones posted:

My best friend is named after a King Diamond song

:lol: holy poo poo

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm going to name my kid Obby, short for Obnoxious Thread Derail.

Haha what an rear end in a top hat! That name is dumb.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

There's people with names like Keith and Billy in this world lmao and people are upset about Elspeth and Tifa

e: and Adrian too ugh
Dunno bout upset especially since white people do have plenty of lovely rear end names but it is further confirmation of too many people being enveloped by lovely nerd fiction/genre fiction/videogames/comic book bullshit. That and 99% of the March for science protest signs

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Dunno bout upset especially since white people do have plenty of lovely rear end names but it is further confirmation of too many people being enveloped by lovely nerd fiction/genre fiction/videogames/comic book bullshit. That and 99% of the March for science protest signs

Whining about nerds in the Something Awful Forums. :allears:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

There needs to be more Rexie to save this thread.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Ah yeah I get ya, "upset" is not the right term. I don't really care about names for the most part though because who really cares as long as you don't call your child "poo inhaler Mk. 6" or whatever. Kids can be ruthlessly mocked over them sure but so can kids with "regular" names. I knew a lad with the surname "Gaynor" and people would run after him chanting "gay nerd" in primary school. My own surname results in everyone who meets me making the same tired joke.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Whining about nerds in the Something Awful Forums. :allears:
We're all in the swimming pool, man, it's just up to you how much of the chlorine piss water you swallow

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Holy poo poo.. Thats a fate worse than eternal torment in hell.

King Diamond

Get hosed

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I lobve the idea of the dad rolling up to some farm "hey can we spend the day with you? I want to show my son how poor you are"

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
And that dad's name was Hermann Einstein.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Embrace the truth you know dwells in your heart.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I lobve the idea of the dad rolling up to some farm "hey can we spend the day with you? I want to show my son how poor you are"

When I was eight my parents took me and my older sister to Mexico to show us how poor the people there are so we would appreciate what we had. We ourselves were below the poverty line.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Shouldn't have spent all that money on trips to Mexico.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Amen

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

All these people have is money, they are truly poor! Here have your dinner, son.

*passes a plate with a single noodle*

I'll see you at 4am in the morning so you can do a day's work before school

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhyl90iGPZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9gaI5nrzd8
Omg this one made me laugh to tears

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

ok, time and place?

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

veni veni veni posted:

And said poor people owned a loving farm with crops and animals. Couldn't they just have visited the inner city if they wanted to see poor people?

failing forward posted:

When I was eight my parents took me and my older sister to Mexico to show us how poor the people there are so we would appreciate what we had. We ourselves were below the poverty line.

I'd actually like to hear the long version of this. Like what your childhood was like and what you experienced in Mexico and how it made you feel.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
The other kids' dads are gonna give us all swirlies and steal our lunch money if they find out we named our kids after book characters. That's why we have to stick to normal names, like Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

The other kids' dads are gonna give us all swirlies and steal our lunch money if they find out we named our kids after book characters. That's why we have to stick to normal names, like Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

I was gonna make this joke too, I hope it works out so I can feel smug without taking the risk it might b poo poo.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Someone went to BYU.

Catberry posted:

I'd actually like to hear the long version of this. Like what your childhood was like and what you experienced in Mexico and how it made you feel.

No.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

There are definitely degrees of awfulness when it comes to pop culture names, but I wouldn't really put something like Elspeth in the bad list despite coming from MTG (goony as that is) because it's at least an authentic Celtic name.

There's a difference between naming your kid Mick because you like the Rolling Stones and naming them fuckin' Yaldabaoth or something.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I have a friend who works in a maternity ward. As long as you're not naming your kid ZynonThunderhead you're doing fine.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'd want to have been named after something nerdy rather than my dad looking up the most popular name of the year and rolling with that. In a class of 20 in a town of 3000 there were 4 of us with the same drat name. Two of us had the same 3 initials because we also had the same middle name.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

"(liars, liars, liars its all about the desire to take apart America and its existence)"

:ironicat:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Make America Great Again by remembering the traitors in the American civil war, our lowest point

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

I'd want to have been named after something nerdy rather than my dad looking up the most popular name of the year and rolling with that. In a class of 20 in a town of 3000 there were 4 of us with the same drat name. Two of us had the same 3 initials because we also had the same middle name.
This may sound cool in practice but tbh having a different/exotic/rare name is not typically an advantage in the American public school system or any school prolly. Bullying is either gonna make the kid hard as hell or into some sort of Ben Shapiro like baby man. It's the Boy Named Sue sitch.
Like it's fine when you're some celebrity's kid because being called Gooftroop Williams or w/e isn't a big deal when you got millions

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

They censored the kiss

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This may sound cool in practice but tbh having a different/exotic/rare name is not typically an advantage in the American public school system or any school prolly. Bullying is either gonna make the kid hard as hell or into some sort of Ben Shapiro like baby man. It's the Boy Named Sue sitch.
Like it's fine when you're some celebrity's kid because being called Gooftroop Williams or w/e isn't a big deal when you got millions

People bully you for the dumbest poo poo, though. If you want your kid not to be bullied, focus on making sure they're developing their social skills, but also be attentive and make sure that their school has good anti-bullying policies.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

They censored the kiss

Hey, :nws: tag that poo poo! :bahgawd:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Oh dear, two people kissing. Truly the worst thing in the world.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is the dude on their right giving an awesome wink or having an awesome stroke
Good show either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

They censored the kiss

They're actually locking their mouth penises together