Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

http://www.vesselofinterest.com/2017/06/mapping-acx-crystals-collision-with-uss.html

Boat sperg speculates that the freighter bridge was asleep, collided, and continued on autopilot for another 30 minutes before turning back around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Godholio posted:

Why is this still the case?

Sometimes AIS systems aren't automatic and require user input. That's why there are so many "Anchored" ships screaming around underway at 15+ knots.

Also, if the connectivity to the online tracker drops momentarily and causes a gap in data it can result in an erratic looking track.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Lake of Methane posted:

http://www.vesselofinterest.com/2017/06/mapping-acx-crystals-collision-with-uss.html

Boat sperg speculates that the freighter bridge was asleep, collided, and continued on autopilot for another 30 minutes before turning back around.

Top comment at the bottom:

quote:

One theory: sea jihad. Third Mate Muhamid Pongo on duty. Realizes from AIS they just passed a USN "kafir infidel" warship. Makes a U-turn on his own. Looks at the CPA plot, uses it in reverse to create a collision. Last few minutes, lies on the ship to ship radio. (Taqiyya/Kitman, "Holy Lying.) "Don't worry captain, I'm turning to port, you turn to starboard." (As he turns to starboard." Next on the USN recording, which, following Orlando Pulse night club protocals will be kept secret from the world: "Allahu Akbar!"

Just a theory. You come up with a better theory for the container ship's U-turn and collision course.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:discourse:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I can definitely see the "no one was on the bridge, everyone was catching a few winks".

The jihadi container ship theory though :lol:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the Japanese Red Army strikes again

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Lake of Methane posted:

Sadly that makes a lot of sense.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I remember two finger making some posts about how iron mike (autopilot) is a dangerous thing. Why in the hell would you think that autopilot is a good idea in a busy approach area to a major port?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

orange juche posted:

I remember two finger making some posts about how iron mike (autopilot) is a dangerous thing. Why in the hell would you think that autopilot is a good idea in a busy approach area to a major port?

Laziness is a hell of a thing.

E: Auto pilot in approaches isn't necessarily bad. If you have the proper watches posted it's perfectly fine.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 18, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

ManMythLegend posted:

Sometimes AIS systems aren't automatic and require user input. That's why there are so many "Anchored" ships screaming around underway at 15+ knots.

Also, if the connectivity to the online tracker drops momentarily and causes a gap in data it can result in an erratic looking track.

We had AIS receivers on our sensor platforms that we'd place around, and sometimes you'd get tracks cutting across Coronado Island in San Diego or going inland at absurd speeds. It was always funny to see, and we learned that AIS was completely unreliable in actually tracking things compared to getting an actual radar track or visual on it.

One time I saw a yacht called "Balls"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Laziness is a hell of a thing.

E: Auto pilot in approaches isn't necessarily bad. If you have the proper watches posted it's perfectly fine.

Well in this case it was the Tesla dude except he was driving the tractor-trailer instead of the passenger car.

Bridge crew of the Fitz are still hosed because if the container ship was autopiloting she was probably not making drastic changes in speed or heading and it's entirely down to bad calls by Fitz bridge crew.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 18, 2017

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Lmao that crazy jihadi containership theory was posted by Matt Bracken, a "patriot fiction" author. I'm pretty sure TFR has had some lets reads of his crazy books.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Stephen Furst died.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

:lol:

quote:

ISTANBUL (AP) — A Turkish prosecutor says 731 soldiers at a western base were sent to the hospital with food poisoning and 21 people from the company that provided the food have been detained.

Akif Celattin Simsek, the lead prosecutor in Manisa province, said Sunday an investigation was launched with samples taken from the affected soldiers, the food and the water. None of those hospitalized late Saturday was in critical condition.

Defense Minister Fikri Isik, who went to Manisa, said the ministry had cancelled the contract with the food company. The governor’s office said 24 soldiers remain hospitalized Sunday afternoon.

There have been several cases of suspected food poisoning at military bases in Manisa, affecting more than 1,000 soldiers and killing one in May.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TBeats posted:

Stephen Furst died.

Well, he made it about 20 years longer than he would have if he hadn't started dieting in the 90s.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a big merchant on auto in the middle of the night, but unless they had their lights off and weather was so bad that it was throwing off radar tracks its hard to to think of any mitigating factors.

I dealt with tankers more than cargo vessels, but the rules don't change.

Also the 1:30am collision with hour later reporting jives with other stuff we've heard.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Sounds like someone mashed GI Soap into the sweet potatoes again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godholio posted:

Last I heard was it looked like brain damage from oxygen starvation.

Failed suicide attempt, I wonder.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

TBeats posted:

Stephen Furst died.

Another one goes beyond the rim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DfQcHMYLY&feature=youtu.be&t=1m19s

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Midjack posted:

Failed suicide attempt, I wonder.

Or the botulism story is true and they didn't bother to put him on a ventilator in time.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I'm waiting for the false flag claim and pictures of the victims being used in context of other, future false flag events.

no what they're trying to do is blame labour for the fire

even though they didn't control the council that managed it

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
How many days are we at since something retarded coming from our executive branch dominating headlines?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Zeris posted:

How many days are we at since something retarded coming from our executive branch dominating headlines?

honestly the stupidity continues, it's even getting worse, it's just that people are burning out on it. What was once massive crippling scandal is the new normal.

Most recent: Trump nominated a wedding planner with no experience who lied about attending law school to a position in HUD that oversaw a budget worth billions of dollars.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zeris posted:

About a day. It's sunday, let the donnie rest.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Zeris posted:

http://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/876388733607694336
http://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/876390681056600066
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/876394578777174021
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/875732813278048256
About 5 hours.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

I feel like there are more lies and falsehoods than facts in those tweets

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
What's not great about America again. Why do white people love complaining so much.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

About a day. It's sunday, let the donnie rest.

His lawyer's on it instead:

Trump lawyer: The president is not under investigation for obstruction

quote:

In a combative and testy exchange on “Fox News Sunday,” Sekulow acknowledged he could not know for sure that Mueller has not opened an investigation but said he had no reason to believe he had.

“Nothing has changed” since Comey informed the president that he was not being personally investigated, he said.

The interview turned tense, however, when host Chris Wallace then asked Sekulow about the remainder of Trump's tweet, in which Trump had complained that he was being investigated for firing Comey by the man who told him to fire Comey.

Wallace asked Sekulow if Trump believes that Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein, who wrote a memo criticizing Comey's handling of the Clinton email investigation, has done anything wrong.

Sekulow responded that Trump had been getting at a “constitutional issue.”

“He's being investigated for taking the action that the attorney general and the deputy attorney general recommended him to take, by the agency that recommended he take the action. That's the constitutional threshold issue,” Sekulow said.

When Wallace pointed out that Sekulow had appeared to agree in his answer that the president is under investigation, the lawyer grew flustered. He said he had only been discussing the constitutional problem posed if the president were being investigated.

“I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth when I've been crystal clear that the president is not and has not been under investigation,” he said.

“But you don't know that he's not under investigation, right?” Wallace responded.

“You're right, Chris. I cannot read the mind of the special prosecutor,” Sekulow responded. “We're agreed, then,” Wallace said.

. . .

Sekulow responded that Trump couldn't be indicted “because there's not an investigation.”

“Oh boy, this is weird,” Wallace responded, noting, again, that Sekulow cannot know there is no investigation.

Sekulow also insisted that Trump's tweets have posed no problems for his legal team. He said Trump had learned the effectiveness of social media as a communications tool during the campaign.

“Nothing he's tweeted has caused me any issues whatsoever,” he said. “Nothing.”

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

milk milk lemonade posted:

What's not great about America again. Why do white people love complaining so much.

Ever notice how Trump is obsessed with "losing" and "winning?" Trump and his trumpeters have the mindset that if someone is winning, it must be at the expense of others. So any time they see a black person, a gay person, a woman, an immigrant doing better than they did in 1980 (i.e. "winning") they necessarily believe that they, the white man, must be "losing."
If another nation has a growing economy ("winning") it has to be because they are doing it at our expense ("losing").
Trump and the deplorables cannot conceive of anything but zero sum games.
America was great when white Americans were winning and everyone else was losing.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Zeris posted:

I can't remember if I found this in this thread or somewhere else but https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/ helps

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Minor thing, but WaPo got the official letter that Sheriff David Clarke received from DHS about the position he was up for, but backed away from.

https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/876471590506168321

Turns out Clarke really DID get a job offer from DHS. I always thought he was just bullshitting. $179,700/year.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Zeris posted:

One of his lawyers did something stupid in his stead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Fl32iRCN0

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

mlmp08 posted:

Said lawyer went around to almost all of the major networks. All of the networks (even Chris Wallace because he's actually part of the news division and actually gives a poo poo) basically thought the lawyer was being dumb as gently caress.

None moreso than Jake Tapper.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/jake-tapper-reax?bftwnews&utm_term=.cmrQM0KQpz#.jx49rVQ98x

I call that the DID SOMEONE STEP ON A DUCK

Interview recap: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/chris-wallace-battles-jay-sekulow-over-trump-investigation-inconsistencies-oh-boy-this-is-weird/

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 18, 2017

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

Unnnngh oh my god i just came a little. I want to crush up this video and inject it right into my veins. It's got so much amazing stuff going on. Right wing propaganda talking heads eating each other, an administration toadie flailing around like a gazelle in an alligator's jaws as he desperately tries to ignore reality and spew the talking points that were handed to him by an orange manchild, abject fear transforming into anger when he realized he hosed up and said a bad thing about the emperor's new clothes on his holiest of holies, TV news, knowing his boss is watching at exactly that minute and is going to be loving pissed.

edit: oh god it gets better, I didn't even notice the video title. These loving clowns are so desperate to live in their own ignorance.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 18, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

mlmp08 posted:

Jay Sekulow, of the ACLJ, Pat Robertson's twisted vision of an ACLU for the religious right.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

joat mon posted:

Jay Sekulow, of the ACLJ, Pat Robertson's twisted vision of an ACLU for the religious right.

Then you'd think he would be better at defending dumb poo poo said by stupid idiots.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ever notice how Trump is obsessed with "losing" and "winning?" Trump and his trumpeters have the mindset that if someone is winning, it must be at the expense of others. So any time they see a black person, a gay person, a woman, an immigrant doing better than they did in 1980 (i.e. "winning") they necessarily believe that they, the white man, must be "losing."
If another nation has a growing economy ("winning") it has to be because they are doing it at our expense ("losing").
Trump and the deplorables cannot conceive of anything but zero sum games.
America was great when white Americans were winning and everyone else was losing.

I mean, in a certain sense, it's true. Previously, if you were a white man, you could more or less expect to have access to a job market wherein minorities and women were shut out of many positions, improving access for you. If you demanded that women, children, and minorities show you deference, society agreed with that expectation. Given that wages have been stagnant and job numbers have not kept up with population in some regions, access to limited employment resources may actually be zero sum. You can quite reasonably say that allowing minorities and women access to the full job market and all of society's other benefits is a good thing, but it's disingenuous to pretend that there isn't a loss for those who used to enjoy privileged access.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I mean, in a certain sense, it's true. Previously, if you were a white man, you could more or less expect to have access to a job market wherein minorities and women were shut out of many positions, improving access for you. If you demanded that women, children, and minorities show you deference, society agreed with that expectation. Given that wages have been stagnant and job numbers have not kept up with population in some regions, access to limited employment resources may actually be zero sum. You can quite reasonably say that allowing minorities and women access to the full job market and all of society's other benefits is a good thing, but it's disingenuous to pretend that there isn't a loss for those who used to enjoy privileged access.

Put another way, uneducated white men are discovering how much it sucks to be everyone else and are holding everyone else accountable for it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

psydude posted:

Put another way, uneducated white men are discovering how much it sucks to be everyone else and are holding everyone else accountable for it.

Yep. Telling people, "Your piece of the pie is going to be smaller so that everyone can have some" isn't necessarily some monstrous argument, but it's disingenuous to pretend that there will always be enough pie for everyone to be satisfied, and stupid to act as though people are somehow irrational or alien for preferring the situation where they get to keep having the same amount of pie they do right now, or used to get 40 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yep. Telling people, "Your piece of the pie is going to be smaller so that everyone can have some" isn't necessarily some monstrous argument, but it's disingenuous to pretend that there will always be enough pie for everyone to be satisfied, and stupid to act as though people are somehow irrational or alien for preferring the situation where they get to keep having the same amount of pie they do right now, or used to get 40 years ago.

Except that God Capitalism has always preached that the great thing about capitalism is that the pie can grow larger so that everyone can benefit without hurting someone else.

• Locked thread