Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
thief/zerk/zerk so far....:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

That's 1+1 Lies of Ondore sated.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Skeletons in the Ship Graveyard drop Daggers, I don't think there's any earlier option sadly.

A bit late, but thanks for reminding me of this. It was just what I needed.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Wind Crystal: Time Mage
Water Crystal: Bard

At this point, I'm really hoping the Fire Crystal gives me an Earth job because that would be too perfect.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Khisanth Magus posted:

Any recommendations for the cannon with a team of zerks and geos? I'm running 3 zerks because the geos can't really damage the cannon, all of their Gaia abilities don't do any damage to it. Level 26 after grinding a bunch, but I don't really know what to do other than grind more. I have a whole 1 hi potion and have used all my elixers.

I did it at a lower level with four Geos. Front row, knives and a lot of elixirs. You can grind for more in the Wind Shrine from Moldwynds.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Got Bard/Berserker/Chemist/Knight so I'll get my first triple crown!, did 5th job so Krile will be something else.

dbzfandiego fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 18, 2017

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
Gilgabot was really worrying me for a minute. My jobs kept getting worse, from Knight to Red Mage to Geomancer, but then I got Chemist at Earth for the first time ever! Am I able to Triple Crown if the only redeeming part of my party is a Chemist? I've never done it before and I'd love to give it a try.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
chemist can solo triple crown

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I overprepared, but even then I got three wipes to Ondore's Lies Grand Cross. (First time it berserked the samurai, then instant death, then zombie).

Another one for the Basch pool, I suppose.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

:allears:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Monk/White Mage/Beastmaster/Berserker for my first run. Yeesh Gilgabot, you're just trying to make me burned out before I even start.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Anything I can do against Byblos with Thief/Thief/Zerk/Zerk other than heal and just hope my zerks kill it?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Steal hi potions. Use hammers/axes. Do you have to use 2 thieves? Otherwise just level or throw attempts at him until it sticks.

I guess the solo thief strat can work, too. Come in with elixirs and 99 pots / hi pots. Living thief, 3 dead party members. Defend and heal until Byblos runs out of mana (this takes a LONG time). Res up and kill him.

derra fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 18, 2017

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Ranger - Zerk - Zerk - Zerk

I... gently caress. And this is on iOS so Byblos with all Berserkers. Oh well, that's why we risk!

Sushi Face
Oct 11, 2006

Tastes like funk

OzFactor posted:

Ranger - Zerk - Zerk - Zerk

I... gently caress. And this is on iOS so Byblos with all Berserkers. Oh well, that's why we risk!

This is exactly what I have!

I got to Purobolos and now I am completely stuck. How am I supposed to whittle them down? Should I just wait it out and revive till they kill themselves?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sushi Face posted:

This is exactly what I have!

I got to Purobolos and now I am completely stuck. How am I supposed to whittle them down? Should I just wait it out and revive till they kill themselves?

Equip Mage Mashers and try to rush down any that get silenced. Equip Deathsicles and hope for lucky instant death procs.

Either way it's pure RNG outside of just facetanking it. It's worth noting that each one only has the MP for two Arises, so even if you have to grind them down one at a time it's theoretically possible.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I didn't go in for Berserker Risk, but I did manage to draw both Thief and Monk in Pure Chaos. Honestly don't know what I'd do if I didn't have samurai to throw money at all my problems. :v:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Thief, Two Zerks, and a Monk who replaced my third Zerk with Krile. As bad a party as that was that was one of the smoothest NED fights I have ever had.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The fiesta berserker squad has beaten sandworm at level 40, thank god.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, screw it. :toxx: Everyone who clears the game with the name "a butt" will trigger a 2 dollar donation from me, up to a maximum of 70 bucks(it'd be more but the exchange rate is murder).

a butt for the butt pile

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
It's my first time playing any final fantasy game and I just got berserker at the water crystal haha.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

One down, easy party

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
This is my first run and I got Blue Mage/Summoner/Geomancer/Dancer. I have no idea how good or bad this is. This will also be my first time attempting to beat the game. I always make it to the beginning of world 3 and drop off.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay so what's the hot Quadzerk Liquid Flame strat? Gain levels and pray to the Crit God? What level have people done it at?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Byblos's wind slash is nasty with my team but I have blue access. Is Magic Hammer useful for anything later that would make it worth braving the RNG instead of nuking him down?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

OzFactor posted:

Okay so what's the hot Quadzerk Liquid Flame strat? Gain levels and pray to the Crit God? What level have people done it at?

Pretty much. I quadzerk'd it at 18 this run.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Austere things posted:

Ok, so I have what is probably a pretty dumb question about my Pure Chaos run, but I'm not entirely sure how to go forward with this.

So far, I've rolled a Geomancer for Wind Crystal and Zerker for Water which is fine, but I'm not sure if that means I should be running a team of mixed Freelancers and Zerkers until I get to the fire crystal or if I should go all Zerkers since that's the only legitimate job available to me right now.

OzFactor posted:

Just a heads up, that's a bad team for Liquid Flame so you're gonna want to grind. 4 zerks is like 19-22 depending on how it goes and if you use knives or hammers (I had a really good hammer session earlier). Geo-wise Fire-ship has Gust, Earthquake, and Twister technically. Human and Whirlwind Form absorbs Air while Hand Form has immunity to Air and Earth. Similar with the cannon at the end of World I, too, I believe.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bruceski posted:

Byblos's wind slash is nasty with my team but I have blue access. Is Magic Hammer useful for anything later that would make it worth braving the RNG instead of nuking him down?

I can maybe see using it against Purobolos if you have no other options, but that's the only thing I can think of. If you have a good other strategy there, don't sweat it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pookum posted:

It's my first time playing any final fantasy game and I just got berserker at the water crystal haha.

One berserker is surprisingly good. You lose the ability to control that character, and axes are kind of inaccurate, but they're meatwalls that take a lot of abuse, do a decent chunk of damage, and make an excellent chassis to staple passives onto.

The benefit of berserkers rapidly becomes a severe handicap once you get multiples, though; turns out that having control of a character in order to do things like heal or, in some cases, Just Not Attack That Thing That Will Counter Attack You Into Oblivion, is super useful and not a thing you want to give up too much.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Now it's done for good.

Ranger was interesting, but makes for a pretty bad Berserker babysitter. (Thank god for #Krile spitting it out and saving me from Quadzerker NED on GBA, though.) Yoichi Bow crits and slapping Artemis Bows on them and letting them go ham on Almagest is fun, but not exactly practical. But hey, when you're L45 before Sandworm, practical goes out the window.

Also gently caress quadzerker I'm going to see Minidragons in my loving dreams

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Didn't manage to get all the way through last year because stuff came up, but excited to see if I can finish the whole thing this time around.

Rolling Blue Mage first seems like a good start, once I figure out what the good spells to Learn are.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

I can maybe see using it against Purobolos if you have no other options, but that's the only thing I can think of. If you have a good other strategy there, don't sweat it.

I came to the same conclusion after thinking about it more. I get very "collect em all" for blue magic.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bruceski posted:

You could use it to prevent Gilgamesh on the Big Bridge from buffing up, but that's more clever than useful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

Didn't manage to get all the way through last year because stuff came up, but excited to see if I can finish the whole thing this time around.

Rolling Blue Mage first seems like a good start, once I figure out what the good spells to Learn are.

I haven't seen a blue magic guide here, so here's my attempt at writing one. I'm using the GBA names here, so you'll have to look up the translation if you're playing a different version.
  • Doom: Good for shutting down the back piece of NED if you don't have any other options.
  • Roulette: No.
  • Aqua Breath: Good for taking out the Sandworm with no effort, and an otherwise decent non-elemental all-target attack.
  • L5 Death: This is why Blue Mage is so broken.
  • L4 Graviga: Niche at best.
  • L2 Old: Absolutely must-have. W2 Exdeath is vulnerable, and he's just not a threat when he's at level one.
  • L3 Flare: Useful for getting Mighty Guard.
  • Pond's Chorus: Try Garula as White Mages, and then come back and cast this one on him. It's fun.
  • Lilliputian Lyric: Never used it.
  • Flash: Good for shutting down some early game bosses with powerful physical attacks. It loses its shine later on because it's hard to get to stick on higher level enemies.
  • Time Slip: ???
  • Moon Flute: Oh, a spell that makes your party berserk regardless of who casts it. Who came up with that?
  • Death Claw: This is another terribly broken spell. Get it as soon as possible.
  • Aero: Yes.
  • Aera: Yes.
  • Aeroga: Yes.
  • Flame Thrower: Useful in the early to mid game, but it drops off later on.
  • Goblin Punch: One of the most useful spells you have. It attacks with your weapon's full attack power, doesn't have an element, always hits, doesn't trigger physical counterattacks or break sleep/confuse, and it skips weapon scripts so you can get the full power of Excalipoor (or the Brave Blade if you can use it).
  • Dark Spark: Part of the level manipulation toolkit that lets you hit anything with L5 Death. Absolutely must have.
  • Off Guard: Nice on paper, but not great in practice.
  • Transfusion: Why?
  • Mind Blast: This might be useful if you got it before the last dungeon.
  • Vampire: Yes. This will carry you through the early game on its own.
  • Magic Hammer: Eh. It's very niche and not generally worth having.
  • Mighty Guard: The best spell in the game, maybe.
  • Self-Destruct: I guess?
  • ????: This is occasionally useful because it ignores defense. If you've got a Chemist, you can fight Prototypes in World 1 to stock up on Dark Matters with this.
  • 1000 Needles: Good if you can get it early, but that requires a Beastmaster. Otherwise pretty useless.
  • White Wind: Not that great for a Blue Mage, but if you can put this on a physical class with high HP, you've got the best healer.
  • Missile: This is another one I don't use.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

How does L3Flare help get Mighty Guard?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bruceski posted:

Killing Stingray is a pain in the rear end with its 30k HP, but its level is divisible by 3.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bruceski posted:

Stingrays are level 93 and have 30 thousand HP. They're a pain in the rear end to burn through normally.

E: That said I vastly prefer to L5D them (93 -> 46 -> 23 -> 11 -> 5, or 93 -> 46 -> L2 Old -> L5D when it's time).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

[*]Mind Blast: This might be useful if you got it before the last dungeon.

But you do. :confused:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OK, technically yes. But it's still late in World 3, and not in a place that a lot of Fiesta parties are going to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The cool thing about Mind Blast (well, aside from the sound effect) is that its Paralyze effect is guaranteed to work as long as the enemy is vulnerable to it. Not having to deal with Magic Evasion allows you to easily stunlock the Grand Cross part of Neo Exdeath.

I also don't think the second tablet dungeon is that uncommon a place to visit for Fiesta teams. Lots of parties can use some of its equipment. Or a fourth legendary weapon. Or access to Fork Tower.

• Locked thread