Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

xbilkis posted:

What's the motivation for (presumably) George's side to leak this now? To get the Pacers to pull the trigger on a trade now? Because if I'm Magic, I don't wanna give up anything for a guy this thirsty to play on my team anyway, so I dunno if that works out

The smart money is on the Pacers leaking it, so they can fall back on "we had to trade him!" when they inevitably trade away their best player for scraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

ChickenMedium posted:

The smart money is on the Pacers leaking it, so they can fall back on "we had to trade him!" when they inevitably trade away their best player for scraps.

Yup and it has worked like a charm.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
It's a shame that this won't end up with Lonzo in Indy

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Jota posted:

It's a shame that this won't end up with Lonzo in Indy

I'd pay to see Bird come out of retirement and smack the poo poo out of Lavar.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/876525634775793664

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Hahahahaha gently caress this god drat franchise.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hahah

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/876526696861757440

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dexo posted:

Rip his trade value

Announcing that really hurts the Pacers. I hope he gets traded on draft day.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
What's the worst place to trade him? Just send him there so he has to suffer for a year.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

hahaha

pubic works project posted:

What's the worst place to trade him? Just send him there so he has to suffer for a year.

I would say Sactown but thats close enough to LA. Orlando prob

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

its okay you are going to get a star in the trade http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hooqlpe

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Chicago tbh

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gsaetrr

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

xbilkis posted:

What's the motivation for (presumably) George's side to leak this now? To get the Pacers to pull the trigger on a trade now? Because if I'm Magic, I don't wanna give up anything for a guy this thirsty to play on my team anyway, so I dunno if that works out

I guess the Knicks traded stuff to get Melo, so who knows

Tanking his value so the Lakers don't have to give anything up. Makes sense but a big gently caress you to Pacers fans

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Y'all going about this the wrong way. Clearly the correct move here is the one that will max spite the lakers, create a small ball team to murder the warriors, and increase the possibility PG might not even go to LA
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ychgs39a

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder how much more grateful Melo is about his no-trade clause today. Without that, he might be on his way to the Pacers.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

DeimosRising posted:

Tanking his value so the Lakers don't have to give anything up. Makes sense but a big gently caress you to Pacers fans

Yeah it's gotta be George's agent or the Lakers.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

The NBA is loving amazing.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lmfao https://twitter.com/WeAreTitleTown/status/876459939430105089

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Why would you....

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
And you wanna know why I light things on fire

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dexo posted:

Why would you....

really, burning a jersey of a player your team trades away before they even sign them seems like the ultimate boston sports fan move

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anyway, i'm excited for fultz's rookie of the year campaign in 2019.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like burning it I get in theory. Its dumb af but I get it as a symbolic thing.

Buying a jersey of a player who hasn't been drafted and burning them is some next level poo poo.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Is that bill Simmons

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There was a week when kids were setting themselves on fire as a challenge, like how people threw ice buckets over their head.

Nothing surprises me as far as dumb gimmicks anymore.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ice bucket thing was a dumb harmless(generally) meme chain letter for a cause. That makes sense.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
A stupid Boston fan doing something stupid also makes plenty of sense and it's pretty funny

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

A stupid Boston fan doing something stupid also makes plenty of sense and it's pretty funny

Raising awareness for stupid Boston fans with way too much money to burn somebody please think of the bro Boston fan

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Raising awareness for stupid Boston fans with way too much money to burn somebody please think of the bro Boston fan

Do they not bleed green. I'll cut myself right now

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

I dunno. Maybe. The fact that he wants Swanigan's fatass leads me to believe he's a Purdue guy. But yes, the average Indiana sports fan is a moron.

The average person is a moron and smart people aren't any better

Papercut posted:

The dress code was Stern's attempt to court football fans and I'm very happy that the league has adopted the official policy of "gently caress football fans."

I don't understand why Stern is popular around here when he was responsible for that dog whistle STOP THESE MEN FROM DRESSING LIKE THUGS on top of his decades-long history of being a true anti-player piece of poo poo

at least the dress code completely backfired and now Rich Young Black Men (Oh no!!!) are wearing Expensive Fashions (Oh no!!! Gay!!!)

full outfits of excessively baggy clothes looked silly anyways. Served no purpose except to allow Gilbert to conceal his pistols on the court

Dejan Bimble posted:

You have to thank Kanye and the dress code for finally ending the maternity tees and wide jeans era. Things have probably swung too far in the opposite direction, but that's okay, it's a much better direction

I don't have to thank Kanye at all for that he was surfing a wave of dressing well that would have rolled in without him

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 18, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tape yourself and as you bleed out name 3 other Boston sports fans and have them complete the Ainge Assets challenge.

We'll fix the Boston fanbase issue 3 fans at a time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

EvanTH posted:

The average person is a moron and smart people aren't any better

I don't understand why Stern is popular around here when he was responsible for that dog whistle STOP THESE MEN FROM DRESSING LIKE THUGS on top of his decades-long history of being a true anti-player piece of poo poo

at least the dress code completely backfired and now Rich Young Black Men (Oh no!!!) are wearing Expensive Fashions (Oh no!!! Gay!!!)

full outfits of excessively baggy clothes looked silly anyways. Served no purpose except to allow Gilbert to conceal his pistols on the court

I mean the league had a huge problem with perception its no mystery why the dress code started the Year after Malice.

The NBA was massively shook after that and overcorrected.

Also people probably like Stern around here because he is the quintessential supervillain Sports commissioner without being a bitch about it like Goodell.

Stern literally told a group of all stars when negotiating the CBA that he knew where the bodies were buried if they want to go down that road.

Like lovely he may be but Its funny as poo poo.

Also the NBA is only behind the MLB in terms of player power Tbh

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 18, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
True enough. I don't remember what kinda hot takes Malice generated but I imagine they were scorching and revolting

As for player power, MLB and the rest of the leagues all say thank you forever Marvin Miller :patriot: True American Hero RIP

NBA owes a lot of their player power to the Oscar Robertson Lawsuit victory where they defeated the league owners, represented by head lawyer David Stern of Proskauer Rose LLP (firm which continues to represent all the major leagues when they do their lockouts).

I do not understand at all what Paul George is doing or why he would announce that. Didn't he say a few days ago "I play for the Pacers right now", which was already about as borderline as a player ought to go if they're trying to max their value (shoulda left out "right now," always say you love the team and want to win no matter what even when everyone knows you're lying)? Who is his agent and why are they stupid or absent?

edit: googled an answer to part of that question, George's agent is "Aaron Mintz" and George should be his most important client:
http://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent_clients/Aaron-Mintz/58
Also the agent for Randle and D'angelo Russell maybe he's secretly a Lakers fan who doesn't care about his job

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 18, 2017

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

EvanTH posted:

True enough. I don't remember what kinda hot takes Malice generated but I imagine they were scorching and revolting

As for player power, MLB and the rest of the leagues all say thank you forever Marvin Miller :patriot: True American Hero RIP

NBA owes a lot of their player power to the Oscar Robertson Lawsuit victory where they defeated the league owners, represented by head lawyer David Stern of Proskauer Rose LLP (firm which continues to represent all the major leagues when they do their lockouts).

I do not understand at all what Paul George is doing or why he would announce that. Didn't he say a few days ago "I play for the Pacers right now", which was already about as borderline as a player ought to go if they're trying to max their value (shoulda left out "right now," always say you love the team and want to win no matter what even when everyone knows you're lying)? Who is his agent and why are they stupid or absent?

edit: googled an answer to part one of that question, George's agent is "Aaron Mintz" and George should be his most important client:
http://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent_clients/Aaron-Mintz/58

The hot takes after the Malice were that the fans deserved to get punch and it was awesome. Then the NBA and ESPN realized they shouldn't advocate players punching the customers so they did a 180 on the situation.

Also, here is LeBron dunking on children:

http://deadspin.com/lebron-james-releases-finals-frustration-on-poor-childr-1796205855

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

There are lots of possibilities, there's one where he just decided to be open, and didn't want the Lakers pockets to be put out for him. There's another where his agent responded to threats to leak his trade request to the publick with a statement, to stay ahead of the backlash. And you have another where the Pacers did something that firmed up his conviction and he didn't want to be shot in the back as he changed teams, like a Boston player. You're wrong about Kanye. He was the public face of changing trends. That's an important role.

But what's more important is that there's a chance that some team who needs a point guard could sign Milos Teodosic, the highest paid player in all of Europe:

quote:

The “Army Team” doesn’t want to lose the best floor general in Europe and that’s why they are making him an offer which is hard to refuse. A total of 12 million euros for the next three seasons are on the table for the Serb guard. Teodosic with an annual salary of four million euros will became the higest paid ever player in the history of European basketball. Those are net ammounts, since it’s common practice in many parts of Europe the taxes to be paid by the clubs. “We will try to build a stronger team and that’s why we are waiting Teodosic’s answer as soon as possible”, said team president Andrey Vatutin after yesterday’s championship win in the VTB Unitel League.
Also good reminder that players in europe don't make very much money, comparable to about 8m per year here

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Exciting time to be a sixers fan

I will always remember you Tony Wroten, Brandon Davies , javalle mcgee

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

euphronius posted:

Exciting time to be a sixers fan

I will always remember you Tony Wroten, Brandon Davies , javalle mcgee

Just remember,
Joel Embiid will never play a full season