Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Were they on a plane? Or just chilling at the WTC?

David Angell was on the first plane that hit the WTC.

Looking this up apparently...

quote:

Coincidentally, a 1997 episode of Frasier titled "Odd Man Out" of season 4 episode 24 (an episode which Angell co-wrote) features a woman's voice, Linda Hamilton, on Dr. Frasier Crane's answering machine stating she will arrive into Sea-Tac Airport, though she does not actually say Sea-Tac airport, on American Airlines' Flight 11. The episode was first broadcast on May 27, 1997: 4 years and 3 months later, Angell and his wife perished aboard that same flight. Eerily, in the same episode a couple getting engaged in the same restaurant in which Frasier is dining alone, the man says to his fiancée that if they ever should die he hopes that it's at the same time so they wouldn't have to be apart.

Niles and Daphne's son was named after David.

Also, Anthony Perkins' widow was also on American Airlines Flight 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

finalellipsis posted:

the rest of them

She's the Scrappy Doo of this show

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bean_shadow posted:

David Angell was on the first plane that hit the WTC.

Looking this up apparently...

Niles and Daphne's son was named after David.

Also, Anthony Perkins' widow was also on American Airlines Flight 11.

So, we can blame Daphne's mum on Al qaeda?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

spog posted:

Yes.

revolther
May 27, 2008

spog posted:

Reverse that and you've basically got a true statement.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

finalellipsis posted:

the rest of them

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Imdb says she was in 18 loving episodes.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
why though

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

I like that video where Kelsey Grammer falls off the stage and he yells out the most Frasier thing imaginable: "Oh dear lord!"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wait she's totally awful for the 30 seconds she shows up in Daphne's wedding, they give her literal hours of screen time?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's sort of like when Dick Tracy became a comic strip about moon people.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
I liked* how Daphne's family who were stated to be from Manchester UK (a city with its own distinct regional accent) all had accents that spanned the breadth and width of the British Isles

(*I didn't actually like this)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Imdb says she was in 18 loving episodes.

Feels like a lot, lot more.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Feels like a lot, lot more.

Thats because every second she is on screen drags on longer than the fifth grade.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is she considered a good actress in Britain or something? Because she is garbagio

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hard to tell if it was her acting or the fact that every line of dialog written for her could've been replaced with a sign around her neck saying "CONTROLLING, DISAPPROVING MOTHER STEREOTYPE"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was the writing. EVerything about Daphne's family dragged the rest of the show down. They were all unlikable, poorly conceived, badly written, and unfunny. Except her dad. The two episodes he was in he was funny.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No her rear end in a top hat brother was a breath of fresh air from the stuffiness of the rest of the cast and he was funny.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I wasn't wild about her as a character, but man you guys really, really didn't like her. I figured they brought her in since with Niles and Daphne finally together, those characters needed a source of antagonism or strife, given that their relationship would have been in a honeymoon phase and provided little compelling storytelling.

I'm not exactly sure where I heard this, I think it was the "behind the scenes" stuff they did in the half-hour leading up to the series finale, that they had people write into the show all eleven years asking where to get Frasier's front door.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's a good front door. The only thing that could improve it would be an antique door knocker.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I liked* how Daphne's family who were stated to be from Manchester UK (a city with its own distinct regional accent) all had accents that spanned the breadth and width of the British Isles

All the way from Dick Van Dyke's cockney London, to Mr Scott's Aberdeen - taking in all the different Nottingham Forests from Robin Hood.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Weren't they all English actors too?

klugman
Jan 28, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

at least one Aussie (the brother).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Brian Cox is Scottish (you can totally hear it when he plays the chief in Super Troopers).

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Brian Cox was really good in his role

I kept hoping he would shove what's her face off the balcony

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

spog posted:

All the way from Dick Van Dyke's cockney London, to Mr Scott's Aberdeen - taking in all the different Nottingham Forests from Robin Hood.

I don't think they even tried to give a reason why all of her family had different accents in the show. It was probably the producers going "welp as long as it sounds British, that's all that matters" and calling it a day.

As a filthy Yank who's spent time in the UK, I found it mildly irritating when I was watching the show. It'd be like if a British sitcom had an American character who was from Boston and all their relatives had Southern USA, Stereotypical Chicagoan, and L.A. Surfer Dude accents.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Robbie Coltrane is also Scottish, Anthony LaPaglia was from Australia, and IIRC, Richard E. Grant was from South Africa.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It'd be like if a British sitcom had an American character who was from Boston and all their relatives had Southern USA, Stereotypical Chicagoan, and L.A. Surfer Dude accents.

Not that I watch too many British sitcoms, but I'm pretty sure I've seen this. Hell, Doctor Who alone has done this multiple times.

"Hey, Doc, yer in New Yoak."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's extremely common for actors to accidentally do a Boston accent when they're told "New Yorkers don't pronounce their R's"

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Seattle is the Crane capital of America.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

mojo1701a posted:

Robbie Coltrane is also Scottish, Anthony LaPaglia was from Australia, and IIRC, Richard E. Grant was from South Africa.

Not that I watch too many British sitcoms, but I'm pretty sure I've seen this. Hell, Doctor Who alone has done this multiple times.

"Hey, Doc, yer in New Yoak."

Back in the pre-Internet days, the guy producing 1980s DW tried to appeal to the USA so hard, they not only had a British actress adopt an American accent, but they made up a whole backstory about how she was actually American. Of course the minute she spoke and said things like "ad-dult" and "leave-er" people figured out she was a Brit pretty quickly.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Back in the pre-Internet days, the guy producing 1980s DW tried to appeal to the USA so hard, they not only had a British actress adopt an American accent, but they made up a whole backstory about how she was actually American. Of course the minute she spoke and said things like "ad-dult" and "leave-er" people figured out she was a Brit pretty quickly.

Yeah, I remember Peri. I've listened to some of the Audio Plays that came out before the revival, and I can't remember if she'd gotten better or not, but it's still obviously a fake accent.

Also, still find it hilarious that it's Peri in a Frasier thread. Was there ever a Doctor Who character named Roz?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mojo1701a posted:

Also, still find it hilarious that it's Peri in a Frasier thread. Was there ever a Doctor Who character named Roz?

Peri Gilpin played Roz, and, uh ... let's see, Simon constantly referred to Roz as Rose, and Rose was Christopher Eccleston's companion on Doctor Who, so it works! :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Timby posted:

Peri Gilpin played Roz, and, uh ... let's see, Simon constantly referred to Roz as Rose, and Rose was Christopher Eccleston's companion on Doctor Who, so it works! :v:

And both DW's Peri and Frasier's Roz were played by attractive busty women, so there's yet another connection! :quagmire:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And both DW's Peri and Frasier's Roz were played by attractive busty women, so there's yet another connection! :quagmire:

Listen I love Roz as much as the next guy but that is an extremely generous definition of "busty" right there

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

Listen I love Roz as much as the next guy but that is an extremely generous definition of "busty" right there

Lorna Langley. Now she was busty. And I think she was in Veep the other night too.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

so basically to you, busty == comically oversized breasts?

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 20, 2017

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This derail sucks, who gives a poo poo omfg

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kelp Me! posted:

Look at this wrong rear end motherfucker

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I love titties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

so basically to you, busty == comically oversized breasts?

Not really? Christina Hendricks is busty, Jennifer Tilly, those are the 2 I can think of off the top of my head.

e: I'm not saying I don't love Roz like all you fine gentlemen but calling her busty is like calling Niles stout

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I love titties

:yeah:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 20, 2017