Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
I feel like I asked this before, so sorry for any redundancy-

Who assigns threat and advantage results?

What makes the most sense would be the players would assign advantage for their own rolls and the GM would assign threat for the player rolls. For the NPCs it seems like the GM would assign both threat and advantage.

Or does it work out that the GM assigns threats for player rolls and advantage for NPC rolls while the players assign threats for NPC rolls and advantage for their own rolls?

Or does the GM assign everything but player advantage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

E: Disregard!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

FuriousAngle posted:

I feel like I asked this before, so sorry for any redundancy-

Who assigns threat and advantage results?

What makes the most sense would be the players would assign advantage for their own rolls and the GM would assign threat for the player rolls. For the NPCs it seems like the GM would assign both threat and advantage.

Or does it work out that the GM assigns threats for player rolls and advantage for NPC rolls while the players assign threats for NPC rolls and advantage for their own rolls?

Or does the GM assign everything but player advantage?

PCs rolling advantage and NPCs rolling threat = players
PCs rolling threat and NPCs rolling advantage = GM

That's what we do

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Crumbletron posted:

PCs rolling advantage and NPCs rolling threat = players
PCs rolling threat and NPCs rolling advantage = GM

That's what we do

That makes sense, and is much more succinctly put than my post. Thanks!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

kingcom posted:

Yeah kinda, I find 5 a bit overkill but Agility is kind of the king stat so you can get away with rushing a 5 if you want. Essentially you have two super common stat spreads as a non-droid character that require 100xp which isn't hard start with if you've got some obligation to get the 90 or 95 from race to bounce it up):

4/3/3/2/2/1 (humans can only go 4/3/2/2/2/2) or 3/3/3/2/2/2 (humans can go 3/3/3/3/2/2)

You can obviously put those stats in any order but I'm just using this to show the range of starting stats. On the left is the focused character who essentially picks 1 great stat and 2 good stats but must eat 1 garbage stat and the generalist who picks 3 good stats amd 3 average stats. Humans are a bit different but obviously they are way better generalists with their bonus xp and no negative stat. It's important to note that the average check for this game is 2 purple dice so if you can find just a single blue dice to add to a check for some reason then your stat of 2 suddenly becomes more likely to pass than fail against the standard check. 2 is not a dump stat but very much average chance of pass or fail on most things.

You are definitely right in that you will pick half the stats to be ones you care about and want to upgrade and about half you don't.

This has been an informative discussion overall, but this post is especially useful. It's rough starting a new system and not having a good grasp on what is good/bad/average. Like I said before, going droid, I don't think I'll be able to make a 5 happen, but a 4 sounds doable if I accept at least one dump stat.

Speaking of droids, is there any situation where the Resilience skill would be relevant for them? The examples in the books mostly mention situations that wouldn't apply thanks to their immunities, like being poisoned.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Swap poison for acid or anything that might cause wear and tear on machinery, maybe? Nobody's played a droid yet in my group so I've never run into this myself.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
So, I've played a lot of table-top RPGs as a player (Deadlands, World of Darkness, DnD 5th ed), and I have always constantly played with the same (very good)GM for a good decade. In all the years and different games we've played, we were never given the stats of the monsters/people we were fighting and basically fought until one side it slumped over dead. I have GM'ed my first session of my first game ever with a different group of friends last night and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. My question is this: are enemy stats "secret" information? I bought the adversary cards for quick reference, but should I be showing my players this information as well or telling them what particular stat is if they ask?

Just some info on my game: We're doing the Age of Rebellion Beginner box as a prelude, learning the system (for them and for myself), and to transition into the game with their characters they created. I'm basically stealing the story from Dark Forces 2 as one of the adventures since none have them played that/know what that is. After they're done with the beginner box mission, I'm going to have Jerec capture the pre-gen characters and have Qu'Rahn executed in front of them before their executed themselves, then queue the Star Wars crawl for the real game.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Ehh, it's a bit of both?

I always do open rolls, so naturally the party can sort of figure out what NPCs' skills or attributes are like. For example, if I roll to fire a blaster and my hand includes 2 greens and a yellow, they know I've got either 3 points in Agility or Ranged and 1 in the other. Likewise, this is a very narrative game so if someone attacks my NPC and the guy's very wounded, I might describe him as such and then the party can infer that he's about to reach his wound threshold.

Another thing is when people deal a particular amount of damage, they might figure out the exact amount of damage required to down any given minion through process of elimination. 6 damage won't kill in one shot, but 8 will? That means it's got ≤8 combined wounds and soak.

At the end of the day I never spell it out explicitly but anybody keeping close track of it will figure it out. It doesn't really matter, tbh. The main thing about this game, at least with our group, is that it's more narrative based than anything, so player actions will usually end up trumping the math in some ways. If a Jedi party member cuts the arm off a thug, the thug's done. If he didn't die from the attack, he's giving up. He's not about to grab his blaster with the other arm and keep shooting.

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 14, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Seems like you answered your question in the first paragraph... personal preference, but I never tell players the stats. Keep it cinematic, this is STAR WORLDS.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah there isn't much reason to reveal stats to players but it's pretty easy for them to figure out some stats. In this game enemy stats don't much matter compared to something like D&D.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

glitchwraith posted:

This has been an informative discussion overall, but this post is especially useful. It's rough starting a new system and not having a good grasp on what is good/bad/average. Like I said before, going droid, I don't think I'll be able to make a 5 happen, but a 4 sounds doable if I accept at least one dump stat.

Speaking of droids, is there any situation where the Resilience skill would be relevant for them? The examples in the books mostly mention situations that wouldn't apply thanks to their immunities, like being poisoned.

Glad I could help! And yeah I usually find it pretty frustrating to figure out how much xp and value I should dump into one thing before I can say im good at it and move on, especially in systems that are a bit more open ended with xp spending and advancement.

Droids are the min max race and they are frankly a bit poo poo because of the lost experience to make sure they dont get too crazy. I would pick 2-3 stats you care about and completely ignore the others. The interesting thing about math for a droid is that its actually worth buying lots of skills with them. Since having an additional green dice is superior to upgrading a green to a yellow its actually kind of advantageous to leave a stat at 1 and then just pump experience into increasing a skill it uses. Dropping 30xp into a class skill means you end up rolling 1 yellow and 2 green. This is a lot cheaper than trying to get your stats up and lets you be say a combat wombat with 4 brawn and 4 agility but then pumping your mechanics skill really high to give you that side focus. It's a bit hard to explain but droids are the race you kind of need to have the clearest understand of what works and doesn't work in the game to get really good use out of.

Ross Perowned posted:

My question is this: are enemy stats "secret" information? I bought the adversary cards for quick reference, but should I be showing my players this information as well or telling them what particular stat is if they ask?

Ultimately yeah its entirely up to you but for regular enemies like stormtroopers and such I just straight tell my players. Its not really going to make it any more dramatic for minions but I can definitely see some justification for hiding Nemesis information. I'm lucky at the moment playing my current campaign over Roll20 so I can just provide a static health bar and strain bar that ticks up and down to let them evaluate how much they are doing and what the enemy's health is like. Basically don't hide how hurt the person is (you don't need to give physical numbers) and probably given some indication as to what their strain is looking like but other than that don't worry about it.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
When talking about how to get the most out of character creation don't forget that this is a team game and don't go too stupid when compared to the rest of the group. If you turn up with a min-maxed Murder Hobo 23 to a group where everyone else has lovingly crafted well rounded individuals who have no more than 3 in their good stat you are going to stick out. You will end up with the warrior in a group of wizards problem where anything that challenges the Murder Hobo with walk through everyone else.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Foxtrot_13 posted:

When talking about how to get the most out of character creation don't forget that this is a team game and don't go too stupid when compared to the rest of the group. If you turn up with a min-maxed Murder Hobo 23 to a group where everyone else has lovingly crafted well rounded individuals who have no more than 3 in their good stat you are going to stick out. You will end up with the warrior in a group of wizards problem where anything that challenges the Murder Hobo with walk through everyone else.

Funny you should mention that. The GM is specifically having us make characters separate without communicating with each other, I'm guessing to facilitate creative freedom and role-playing when we meet in the game. He has said, though, that he'd mediate for us if, after looking at the group composition, he notices any issues. That said, I don't think I will run into this problem since I'm aiming for a support character. Honestly, I only ever asked about characteristics since I decided to play a droid, and even in my inexperience got the feeling they where gimped somewhat in that department.

Thinking on it though, I'll probably pass along some of this advice to the others before the game, just to make sure we are starting on the same level.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Droids can be tremendously powerful. They are really good at focusing on one or two things and getting really good at them because they start with all ones and have more experience for attributes. I like coming up with an idea for the droid's manufacture and programming though, which gives it focus and feels more atmospheric. Plus it makes the "in amazing at the few things I do and terrible at the rest" part of being hyper-focused more tolerable at the table.

For instance, take a medical droid that was initially used as a veterinarian. Pump intelligence to 4 (90 pts), so you are great at doctor stuff. Add a brawn of 3 (50 pts), to represent the ability to throw animals around and do surgery on giant space cows or whatever. Add agility of two (20 pts) to represent being able to do fine surgery when needed. 15 points for random crap (droids start with 175? In my head they were 200, which let's you take two 4's, but it's been a while since I have looked). Now you have a character with a clear advantage and focus, one whose not too bad at melee especially if you pick up a bunch of relevant ranks, and you have plenty of weak points. Plus you get to yell about how dismembering storm troopers is way easier than doing hip surgery on banthas.

Or suppose we have an astromech droid that was taught to pilot because its master kept getting injured. 4 intelligence, 3 agility, 2 willpower or something. Or double down with 5 intelligence and a few 2's.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey I have a quick question with regards to minions.

So I have a group of minions who only have Ranged (Light) if they're in a group. 2/3 of the group dies, leaving the last one alive. How do I roll for this attack? Just the lone minion's AGI stat?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Phi230 posted:

Hey I have a quick question with regards to minions.

So I have a group of minions who only have Ranged (Light) if they're in a group. 2/3 of the group dies, leaving the last one alive. How do I roll for this attack? Just the lone minion's AGI stat?

Yes. Groups have a skill rank for every member past the first, so a group with one guy left has a rank of 0

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

I just wanted to check I handled an interaction correctly according to the rules.

I had a pretty scary Dark Jedi ''mini boss', armed with a lightsaber, for the party to fight, borrowed most of the stat block from one of the published FaD adventures (Suljo Warde), relevant abilities are -
Soak 6
Adversary 3
Improved Center of Being 2
Improved Parry 3
Improved Reflect 3

One of my players rolled a Triumph on a blaster pistol, along with a pool that after Improved Reflect, did no Damage, but with the Triumph activated a crit, rolled a Natural 98, for a Crippled result, for which I chose a limb, and gave them a increased difficulty to all future lightsaber attacks.

Then a round later, another player using a Vibro Greatsword rolled another Triumph, which (I think the roll had a net result of 1 Triumph) did not damage after Parry. Again, he activated a crit, and with Vicious 2, and +10 from the previous crit, ended up with a 122 result - Knocked Senseless, staggered for the rest of the encounter.

So my Dark Jedi was no longer allowed to make any actions/attacks. Did I just get unlucky with the players rolling so high on the crit tables? Seems like what should have been a terrifying encounter ended up a little bit of a damp squib. Luckily one of the party got knocked out by a reflected blaster bolt on another character's despair for a shot, and rolled something nice and low on the crit table, and most of the character were low on health, but I was honestly expecting them to have to flee from this, instead the Jedi had to flee, and it'll work out fine for the plot overall. I don't want them to get the impression they can beat Darth Vader with a few lucky crits.

Also just to confirm, if a player rolls a Double Despair firing into an engagement, can one be spent to hit a player in that melee, and another to activate Reflect? Essentially this allowed the one PC to hurt 2 other PCs with auto hitting Power 7 attacks, which really discouraged one of the players from making attacks.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'm pretty sure that a hit that fails to do damage can't produce a crit.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Harkano posted:

So my Dark Jedi was no longer allowed to make any actions/attacks. Did I just get unlucky with the players rolling so high on the crit tables? Seems like what should have been a terrifying encounter ended up a little bit of a damp squib. Luckily one of the party got knocked out by a reflected blaster bolt on another character's despair for a shot, and rolled something nice and low on the crit table, and most of the character were low on health, but I was honestly expecting them to have to flee from this, instead the Jedi had to flee, and it'll work out fine for the plot overall. I don't want them to get the impression they can beat Darth Vader with a few lucky crits.

That does sound like it's just the dice being dice. However, that wouldn't happen against Vader, no matter how well they rolled, because you're the GM and if you don't want Vader to get chumped like that, he doesn't get chumped like that. It might look like he does, at least long enough for the players to get out of there, but if you don't want him dead, he ain't dead.

Also, your players will never run from things they should obviously be running from. Path of most resistance and all that.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Ablative posted:

That does sound like it's just the dice being dice. However, that wouldn't happen against Vader, no matter how well they rolled, because you're the GM and if you don't want Vader to get chumped like that, he doesn't get chumped like that. It might look like he does, at least long enough for the players to get out of there, but if you don't want him dead, he ain't dead.

Also, your players will never run from things they should obviously be running from. Path of most resistance and all that.

Yeah we just ran the offs of getting 90+ on two d100s, and it's about 1%, so it was extremely unlikely. The way I could have gotten around the crit would have been to have them retreat briefly, and return shortly afterwards to reset the 'encounter' and no longer suffer the crit, but that seemed to be gaming the wording a little. So they've fled, and they hold a grudge, and they mostly got what they wanted, they just didn't get to leave on their own terms.

PantsOptional posted:

I'm pretty sure that a hit that fails to do damage can't produce a crit.

My read (from Edge 205)
code:
The first and foremost way to spend O and in an
attack is to activate a Critical Injury or active weapon
qualities. As described on page 158 and 216, each
weapon has a Critical Rating that consists of a numeric value. The user can spend that many O to inflict
one Critical Injury on the target, in addition to regular
effects and damage. Remember, a Critical Injury can
only be triggered on a successful hit that deals damage that exceeds the target’s soak value. For more information on Critical Injuries, see page 21 6.
So they bypassed soak, most weapons will, because 6 isn't super high, then the damage reduction takes place after soak (from Either Reflect or Parry).

It's possible I'm not following the combat steps properly.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Check page 158, under Critical Ratings. If a hit deals no damage it can't crit.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

Check page 158, under Critical Ratings. If a hit deals no damage it can't crit.

Again here, it only says

code:
A Critical Injury can only be triggered on a successful hit that deals damage that exceeds the target’s soak value.
Parry and Reflect stopped the damage, but are applied after Soak right?

EDIT: Aha!

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/241939-edge-crits-against-succeeded-parry/#comment-2627178

Apparently I should read the full talents, rather than the abbreviated ones on the NPC,

"The Parry happens before Soak is applied. Check out the talent description, page 149.

So, if you reduce the damage to zero with Parry & Soak combined, a crit is not possible."

Harkano fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 18, 2017

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
This is why it’s a good idea to give your BBEGs the talent Imperial Valor and a team of ablative minions to throw in the PCs’ way.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

echopapa posted:

This is why it’s a good idea to give your BBEGs the talent Imperial Valor and a team of ablative minions to throw in the PCs’ way.

Will keep that in mind for future ones. This worked more character-wise as a sinister single figure.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
In games as deadly as this one, solo encounters tend not to work, as they either get destroyed immediately or be so resistant it gets a bit jarring. Well, with the exception being fables that walk like Vader, but I'm not really for putting those in games as combat encounters.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Savidudeosoo posted:

My murder wookie slaughtering a cargo container's worth of Stormtroopers is still one of my fondest tabletop memories.

This is the main thing that puts me off running a stuuwurs game. Having one character that just murders the bads next to like, a diplomat and a mechanic just sounds tedious.

I think I'd have to just say to them "Leia did diplomacy/shoot guns/hand to hand fighting/disguise/force sensitivity/combat leadership, Luke did piloting/shoot guns/jedi training/harsh conditions scouting/droid maintenance, give me characters with varied skill sets or give me death" and that seems kind of an annoying thing to do to the players.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I get what you're saying but it's hard to pull off "broadly competent" with any degree of consistency in this system (I'd argue this is true for most class/career based systems) at least for the first dozen or so game sessions.

quote:

...Leia did diplomacy/shoot guns/hand to hand fighting/disguise/force sensitivity/combat leadership, Luke did piloting/shoot guns/jedi training/harsh conditions scouting/droid maintenance...

You'e describing movie protagonists who only fail in service to the plot. In the Edge system they would be 200-400 point characters if you want any degree of consistent success with all of it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

8one6 posted:

I get what you're saying but it's hard to pull off "broadly competent" with any degree of consistency in this system (I'd argue this is true for most class/career based systems) at least for the first dozen or so game sessions.

You'e describing movie protagonists who only fail in service to the plot. In the Edge system they would be 200-400 point characters if you want any degree of consistent success with all of it.

What? Nah this system is pretty good at being broadly competent for the most part.

Luke has high agility and willpower while Leia has Presence and some Cunning + Agility. Having a 3 in a stat means you're more likely to succeed than fail at the common check of 2 purple (and its not hard to get yourself a blue dice on most checks). Its why the having a 4 and two 3s is really common because it makes you broadly competent at a variety of stuff.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Something I've said before but I think this system is good at being shadowrun and real bad at being star wars, which should probably be pbta.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

From what I've seen the system is pretty good at allowing characters to be pretty good at a few different things. The only problem is if you have one character in the group who wants to be a murder hobo and everyone else wants to do interesting things. The hobo specializes in combat while everyone else spreads out their skills to be more interesting. So during combat the hobo does all the damage, gets all the kills, and doesn't leave much for the other players so they get bored with combat.

On the flip side, during social or stealth encounters the hobo has nothing to offer, so he/she sits around bored while the rest of the team contributes.

I think this is really a problem with ANY game system, though. Even systems which lean more toward just combat rules like DnD. You have players who want to think things through and come up with good plans, and then you have characters who want to "press x to skip" and get straight to the fighting. If everyone's on the same page it's really better.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
New article up about the Engineer sourcebook. Droid Specialist Spec tree, Skakoan species

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

FuriousAngle posted:

From what I've seen the system is pretty good at allowing characters to be pretty good at a few different things. The only problem is if you have one character in the group who wants to be a murder hobo and everyone else wants to do interesting things. The hobo specializes in combat while everyone else spreads out their skills to be more interesting. So during combat the hobo does all the damage, gets all the kills, and doesn't leave much for the other players so they get bored with combat.

On the flip side, during social or stealth encounters the hobo has nothing to offer, so he/she sits around bored while the rest of the team contributes.

I think this is really a problem with ANY game system, though. Even systems which lean more toward just combat rules like DnD. You have players who want to think things through and come up with good plans, and then you have characters who want to "press x to skip" and get straight to the fighting. If everyone's on the same page it's really better.

Most combat-centric characters should have at least some sort of non-combat utility, whether it's coming from the spec itself or from whatever characteristics they'll have picked to complement the spec.

There are a bunch of examples. Gadgeteers and Armorers make good team mechanics. Mercenary Soldiers have some social utility through their various Leadership talents. Enforcers have social utility through their various Coercion and Streetwise talents. Commandos make useful outdoorsmen or trackers due to their Survival talents. etc.

Then of course any real shooty spec will likely be built with high AGI, meaning that those characters can be at least passable as pilots and stealthers.

If you're running a Gunslinger, for instance, you're probably going to aim for 4 AGI as soon as possible, and will still have Piloting as one of your smuggler career skills, so, even with all of your talents being combat-centric, you can still fill the piloting role for a group that lacks a dedicated pilot or needs a secondary pilot.

Even with a Hired Gun/Marauder - the most 100% murderhobo career/spec combination I can think of - there's other places where you can use all of your Brawn skills, if your GM is doing due dilligence.

Group needs somebody to go into the overheating reactor room and throw an emergency shutdown switch? That's your Marauder doing that, with her Resilience.

Group needs somebody to climb a wall or swim through an underwater culvert to infiltrate a fortress? That's your Marauder doing that, with her Athletics.

Group trying to pose as an enforcement detail working for the Hutts? It's your Marauder convincing the GM that you deserve an extra boost die or two on the group Deception check because she's got biceps bigger than a regular person's head, just like the kind of muscle the Hutts might use.

Your smuggler isn't just a person that moves illicit goods from place to place, they're a person who is clever, opportunistic and quick on their feet. Similarly, your CQB combat murdermonster isn't just a person that hits hard, they're a person who endures things normal people can't endure, goes places normal people wouldn't even think about going, and is trained to the peak of human (or alien, or robot) physical ability. Like any character, the CQB combat murdermonster gets interesting once you delve into the other things that are entailed in or implied by the basic premise.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 20, 2017

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

I think these are all 100% valid points, most of which I hadn't thought of. So thank you for enhancing the gaming experience for my players.

My comments were mostly about the players with the murderhobo mentality. If a player is interested in fighting and excelling at combat, it's not that they don't have anything to do outside combat, it's that anything to do outside combat seems boring to them and they'd rather be killing things. Given your points, the system is great about "forcing" players to take at least one "round out" skill, so at least there's that.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
So, my players are finally narrowing down on characters for a game I am running, primarily using Edge of the Empire and Obligation, after we finished and enjoyed the feel of the beginner game. The players are more interested in doing their own thing rather than siding with the Rebellion, so Obligation is more important than Duty by far. The year is 3 ABY, after the Battle of Hoth, and the starting location is as of yet in the air, but I have enough ideas that I can bend to work once all of the players have some backstory in, which they are eager to provide, even if they have not done so yet.

The party composition is:
Human Sentinel (Shien Expert) [4/3/2/2/2/2] - Being played as, entertainingly, the underground equivalent of a Jedi weeaboo. Born after Imperial reign was well-cemented, and thus with no formal training, he hunts and gathers scraps of information from holonet boards, antique vendors and circulating rumors. He was urged out of complacency by what bits of rumors he has heard about the destruction of the Death Star. He is starting with 10 Obsession about finding and learning more out about lightsabers, after which he hopes to be enlightened and in-touch enough with the Force to be able to use it. (As a result, he is not starting out with a Morality system, though I will be tracking his actions through the games, to see where the Morality bar rests once all is said and done.)
Human Soldier (Commando) [4/2/3/2/2/2] - Interested in being a rough-and-tumble Brawler, and with his dice pool sitting at three yellow, one green for both Brawl and Melee, it seems like he'll be able to make good on that promise. His starting Obligation is 10 Unfinished Business, though to be fair, we (player and I working together to flesh out backstories) aren't sure just what that is going to be just yet, though it will probably tie in with his Down and Out Beginning. Half-considering suggesting a career as a wrestler be part of his backstory.
Droid (R-Series) Engineer (Scientist) - currently undecided on much other than Career, player will be working with the character creator to see what works best for him on that front.
Droid (K-series, like K-2SO) - has yet to decide on anything other than a backstory and model of droid, who will also be mucking around with the character creator this week.

I know it's early on to ask, but I like to prepare in advance for many, though not all, possibilities and contingencies...
1. Should I be worried (for the sake of the game being fun to the players) about two of the four characters being so focused on close-range combat? I have concerns about how things will go down in blaster-based combat as a result.
2. What should I be aware of when it comes to Jedi as player characters?
3. Is there anything else, good or bad, that I should be aware of when it comes to running a game with said party composition?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'd suggest not to let the Jedi start as a Jedi. He literally meets the definition of a Force Sensitive. Let him earn Jedi stuff as he goes. At the least, don't give him a saber or a training one, those need to be long-term goals.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Fuzz posted:

I'd suggest not to let the Jedi start as a Jedi. He literally meets the definition of a Force Sensitive. Let him earn Jedi stuff as he goes. At the least, don't give him a saber or a training one, those need to be long-term goals.
Gotcha. Was thinking as much, but I wasn't sure if that would get in the way later, or how transitioning from a Force Sensitive to a specific type of Jedi works.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Fuzz posted:

Yup, a lightsaber would make a great prize to dangle in front of him, say, a a piece of a Hutt's collection your PCs are working for/going to rob of something else: "As you race past the glass shelves full of exotic things, you come to a dead end as your heart skip a bit *Force Theme*: there it is, lying on a cushion: a bona fide lightsaber Just like in my holo-anime.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
FFG is making a new RPG that uses the same narrative dice system as this Star Wars one

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Seems like they're picking up on the success of homebrewed systems that use EotE as a base and cashing in on it to make a universal system. Really neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hopefully they haven't tweaked the dice face distribution any. I'd like to be able to make use of the 5 sets of Star Wars dice I already have. They did excise the Force die, though (And replaced it with a 2nd Challenge die in each dice pack)