Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Unless something changes in the draft or we go back to pulling unknowns from Sweden (which isn't possible anymore thanks to everyone catching on to that trick) the wings are pretty hosed

The Wings are hosed until Ken Holland is removed, and the damage he wrought is cleaned up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

The Wings are hosed until Ken Holland is removed, and the damage he wrought is cleaned up.

Yup

And the owner isn't about to fire his dead dad's favourite guy

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Yup

And the owner isn't about to fire his dead dad's favourite guy

The owner's dead dad's favorite guy is Steve Yzerman, so

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

The owner's dead dad's favorite guy is Steve Yzerman, so

Ok second favourite guy

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The probability of Stevie coming back is closer to 0 than we all would like to think

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The probability of Stevie coming back is closer to 0 than we all would like to think

Stevie is way more likely to come back than you think.

But, Ken Holland might move the franchise, and if coming back is a relative term, sure Stevie might not come back

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

AsInHowe posted:

Stevie is way more likely to come back than you think.

But, Ken Holland might move the franchise, and if coming back is a relative term, sure Stevie might not come back

Lmao. Why would Steve leave tampa? For the uhh new pizza palace? To clean up the mess of the guy ownership chose instead? To move back to Detroit? Stop me when I'm getting close.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

grack posted:

Apparently Gaunce was the guy LV was coveting. It would suck to lose him but I guess the Canucks have a lot of mediocre two-way centres in the org already.

Good thing Brandon "cornerstone for years to come" Sutter was protected

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Scorchy posted:

Good thing Brandon "cornerstone for years to come" Sutter was protected

At least they didn't feel it was necessary to protect Derek "fan favourite as per organizational decree" Dorsett, so maybe they'll see sense about Sutter in time for the Seattle expansion draft.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
uh, I think you mean Brandon "Foundational Piece" Sutter

good thing we got that strong foundation going guys

not a rebuild not a rebuild, you're the rebuild

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Wonderllama posted:

Lmao. Why would Steve leave tampa? For the uhh new pizza palace? To clean up the mess of the guy ownership chose instead? To move back to Detroit? Stop me when I'm getting close.

Yeah basically this. The only reason he would come back now that the old man is dead is because he could be labeled the saviour of the Red Wings and Stevie is a pretty shy and humble guy so I don't see it happening unless he got a massive fuckin paycheque

The only difference between Tampa and Detroit is the weather and Detroit has more jobs lmao

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Yeah basically this. The only reason he would come back now that the old man is dead is because he could be labeled the saviour of the Red Wings and Stevie is a pretty shy and humble guy so I don't see it happening unless he got a massive fuckin paycheque

The only difference between Tampa and Detroit is the weather and Detroit has more jobs lmao

Yeah that's true but you forgot no state tax and a better team that he hand built from scratch? Also a better owner and Cuban sandwiches.

That last one might only be a bonus to me.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I was in both cities in 2014 and I saw way more methheads and homeless in Tampa

Yzerman is never coming back, let it go

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I was in both cities in 2014 and I saw way more methheads and homeless in Tampa

Well, at least the weather is nicer in Tampa

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Well yeah I mean if you're gonna be homeless who would pick Detroit?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Stevie still has his entire family and home in Detroit, and a big faction of the Wings think he is coming back, along with sources close to the family.

But if you like meatheads and novelty strip clubs, go to Tampa

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

good thing we got that strong foundation going guys

Real solid. Rips the puck real good.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
N: Andrew Shaw is protected.

V: ok

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Red Wings protected Abdelakder in the draft as to not hurt the feelings of the guy Holland wants as the next captain

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Suspicious posted:

N: Andrew Shaw is protected.

V: ok

To surprise of absolutely no one.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I can't get all assed up about Detroit's protection list after getting my peepers on the exposed list. Holland hosed the team long before this expansion draft.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ryan Murray being protected makes me think they're gonna try and use him as a piece in a Big Fuckin' Trade for Duchene/Tavares/Eberle/Other Potential #1C.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Every now and then I think about how funny it was when that guy posted a story of how he hurt Luca Sbisa's feelings, and then months and months later a newspaper ran an interview with Sbisa and he brought up the same story.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's real weird that the team whose narrative their entire playoff run was "can the Penguins pull off the Stanley Cup with defensemen this bad?" chose to protect 4F/4D.

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

It's hard to question the staff that put together back to back Stanley cups, the last one with a defense crew comprised of wishes and bubblegum, but I'm not certain I like exposing rust and protecting Maatta. Of course it could be moot if they already have some kinda deal for flower.

There is no rational reason for Vegas to take MAF rather than Rust unless the Pens are giving them some encouragement in the form of draft picks.

If Vegas straight up just drafts MAF that'll be a solid indicator that Marketing has too much input into picking the roster

e: Also it pains me to type this because I love Hornqvist so much but protecting him and exposing Rust is insane. Hornqvist is 30 and has 1 year left on his contract (at $4.75M), Rust is 24 and still a year way from *restricted* free agency. I mean in the end it's just Bryan Rust and the Pens still have more good forwards than they know what to do with for now. But a habit of getting sentimental with your roster and cap space is a good way to end up in cap hell and/or with fatally little depth.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 18, 2017

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Vegas does need to hit the salary floor so they have to take some players with salary and guys like Rust don't really help there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

cenotaph posted:

Vegas does need to hit the salary floor so they have to take some players with salary and guys like Rust don't really help there.

Hitting the salary floor is real easy if you collect high picks or good young players from other teams to take their bad contracts (as is rumored with Clarkson)

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Vegas also has a lower floor than other teams to start. 60% of the cap, iirc, which is like $45mil.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Wow, yeah that's pretty low. I do think that Rust is more replaceable than a guy like Hornqvist, though.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Iodised QQ posted:

If the Isles give up a first and lose de Haan anyway

you know this is what's going to happen.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

cenotaph posted:

Wow, yeah that's pretty low. I do think that Rust is more replaceable than a guy like Hornqvist, though.

At some point after the draft they have to get it up higher so there could still be trades, but they don't have to think about salary so much during their draft. I don't know what the date is where they have to hit the league-wide floor; maybe 1st day of the season.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

At some point after the draft they have to get it up higher so there could still be trades, but they don't have to think about salary so much during their draft. I don't know what the date is where they have to hit the league-wide floor; maybe 1st day of the season.

Somehow I have been reading about the expansion draft for a year and managed to forget this stuff.:v:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

AsInHowe posted:

The Red Wings protected Abdelakder in the draft as to not hurt the feelings of the guy Holland wants as the next captain

I swear to Christ I would never watch another Red Wings game again as long as I live

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's real weird that the team whose narrative their entire playoff run was "can the Penguins pull off the Stanley Cup with defensemen this bad?" chose to protect 4F/4D.

There is no rational reason for Vegas to take MAF rather than Rust unless the Pens are giving them some encouragement in the form of draft picks.

If Vegas straight up just drafts MAF that'll be a solid indicator that Marketing has too much input into picking the roster

e: Also it pains me to type this because I love Hornqvist so much but protecting him and exposing Rust is insane. Hornqvist is 30 and has 1 year left on his contract (at $4.75M), Rust is 24 and still a year way from *restricted* free agency. I mean in the end it's just Bryan Rust and the Pens still have more good forwards than they know what to do with for now. But a habit of getting sentimental with your roster and cap space is a good way to end up in cap hell and/or with fatally little depth.

Agreed on Rust but at least they kept a solid player who's fun to watch.

Doubt that the Pens D would have been so maligned if Letang had been healthy, so 4D isn't too weird on the surface. That being said, keeping Maatta over protecting 3 forwards is odd.

I'll hope that they have medical info suggesting that his various recoveries blunted his development and that there's reason for optimism.

Either way, they kept two rad dudes.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I swear to Christ I would never watch another Red Wings game again as long as I live

Holland thinks that Blashill is a great asset as coach, because people will want a team with the first Michigan-born Red Wings coach.

Just like the first Michigan-born captain, Muskegon's own, Justin Abdelkader

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maf is more valuable than Rust in terms of what he'd contribute to a team in the short term so if they're going for win now he's definitely the better pick.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Vegas isn't going to win-now, but considering MAF's reputation for being very good in the locker room while his role was taken over by an up-and-coming goalie, he'd be good for that.

I could see them grabbing MAF, Grubauer, and Raanta, then trading the latter to a team who wants him right now.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I don't buy that Rust is worth more than MAF. We've never really seen him perform without Malkin or Crosby present. MAF just had a dope playoff run and is good for a 91-92% in the regular season. He's also one of the best locker room presence's in the game, and I think Vegas is going to need that their first season.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Rust is a dime-a-dozen player, there are quite a few other wingers who could put up 30 points in less favorable situations. He's younger and cheaper, but he also played with Sidney loving Crosby and put up fewer points than Dustin Brown.

I think the pick from the Pens mostly depends on whether or not they want MAF to start for them, or if they're confident in starting Raanta or Grubauer.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zodijackylite posted:

Rust is a dime-a-dozen player, there are quite a few other wingers who could put up 30 points in less favorable situations. He's younger and cheaper, but he also played with Sidney loving Crosby and put up fewer points than Dustin Brown.

I think the pick from the Pens mostly depends on whether or not they want MAF to start for them, or if they're confident in starting Raanta or Grubauer.

or Mrazek or Pickard.

There are some legit goalies available. I don't think I'd take MAF without the Pens giving me something if I were McPhee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

From another angle, picking MAF gets you a charismatic dude to put on billboards and trot out in front of the media. I don't know if that's something Vegas would actually factor in, but it's a consideration I've seen thrown around. Plus the three cups looks good in that regard.

• Locked thread