Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I knew it had to be something, but now that Eren can control titans, I feel kinda robbed? Wanted something less tangible and shounen-y, but it does explain the military's intense desire to keep Eren on their side. They either knew, or were betting the house he was more than just a shifter.

And now we have a better idea how they got the walls up so fast. There must've been a titan coordinator involved. Who that was could be anyone, since titanism can be passed on through a serum, but that might not matter as much as it matters now. They obviously lost whoever it was that ordered the titans to remain in formation, or else the priest wouldn't have been so worried about that little incident after Annie's capture. You can order titans to do something, but without constant control, they revert to just being mindless people eaters.

I look forward to next season. Despite a couple bad episodes, this is still a real interesting and exciting show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So are titans Coordinates just rare? The Beast Titan is obviously one, and now Eren.

Also was that his dad on the Beast Titan's shoulders at the end? gently caress the next season needs to hurry up.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Manatee Cannon posted:

just watched the levi backstory ova and lmao at this "living underground makes your legs go bad" thing

it's so pointless and it makes no sense. I don't get why they did that at all

Vitamin D deficiency yo

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

I knew it had to be something, but now that Eren can control titans, I feel kinda robbed? Wanted something less tangible and shounen-y, but it does explain the military's intense desire to keep Eren on their side. They either knew, or were betting the house he was more than just a shifter.

I felt exactly the same way at this reveal when I got to that part of the story (specifically, "Oh my God, are they really giving the main character Titan control powers that gets revealed just in time to bail everyone out? I thought this series was going better than this."), but I want to say that now the story has advanced, I don't feel that way any more. Certain things that seem stupid when they're introduced actually end up well-thought explanations. But I'm sorry you're feeling robbed right now, because I did, too.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

controlling titans felt like an un-shouneny power to me

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Freakazoid_ posted:

And now we have a better idea how they got the walls up so fast. There must've been a titan coordinator involved. Who that was could be anyone, since titanism can be passed on through a serum, but that might not matter as much as it matters now. They obviously lost whoever it was that ordered the titans to remain in formation, or else the priest wouldn't have been so worried about that little incident after Annie's capture. You can order titans to do something, but without constant control, they revert to just being mindless people eaters.

I look forward to next season. Despite a couple bad episodes, this is still a real interesting and exciting show.

Just wanna point out they wanted to keep Eren on their side because he was the only realistic option for closing up gaps in the Wall which they'd assumed was where the titans were coming from. Losing Eren was equivalent to losing their only chance of ever reclaiming territory.

Of course then a lot of reveals happened and the idea got kinda invalidated but yeah.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

comedyblissoption posted:

controlling titans felt like an un-shouneny power to me

What if he controls them using the power of friendship?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

As a manga reader, all I will say is that there are very good answers to a lot of questions coming. This series is very well written, and the anime has been adapting it very well. I'm extremely excited to hear that the next season is in 2018. Revisiting the story where the anime is at has been extremely fun, and the soundtrack is especially inspired.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kytrarewn posted:

Highpoint of the episode was absolutely "I'll wrap it around you as many times as you want". Pure Eren, there. So dopey.

2018 isn't *that* far off- do I want to read the manga in the interim? I think I might, but interacting with all of the other anime-only people for the whole season was a lot of fun and I'm frustrated by some of what we didn't learn, and some of what it seems like we'll never learn (ie. the identity of the smiling titan or whatever it's called).

Also: Is the Beast Titan a coordinator, too? What do Bert and Ernie know about Ymir's past? She just kinda put that "I was a goddess for a while" thing out there and they didn't bat an eye, and what we saw wasn't terribly coherent..
read-a da man-gah

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What chapter should I start at if I wanted to pick up where the anime just ended?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What chapter should I start at if I wanted to pick up where the anime just ended?

Chapter 51, first chapter of volume 13.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

just watched the levi backstory ova and lmao at this "living underground makes your legs go bad" thing

it's so pointless and it makes no sense. I don't get why they did that at all

I haven't seen it yet but rickets is a thing.

e: f;b

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can I get a link to where Chapter 51 discussion starts in the manga thread? I'd really appreciate it.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Can I get a link to where Chapter 51 discussion starts in the manga thread? I'd really appreciate it.

Page 151.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Thanks. :)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

New chapters come out at the beginning of the month, too, so people will start commenting on each chapter from the 1st - the 7th.

Ok, quick poll out of interest: How many people after this season have decided to start reading the manga?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well this new season made me want to continue the manga, if that counts. I had read up to Ch 57 before and then fell off, though the new season of the anime renewed my interest (And I forgotten most of everything that happened after season 1 anyways, so this has all been a fun refresher).

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 18, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I want to read the manga because this season was fascinating and I want to know more about what's going on beyond what I've already spoiled for myself, but at the same time I like the anime so much that I want to wait for the next season. Not sure what I'll ultimately choose to do.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I might stop reading the manga because the Armored/Colossal transformation sequence was so drat good. Then I watched more episodes and got a bunch of low-budget, single-panel scenes so now I'm not so sure.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Read the manga but skip all the pages with big epic scenes that would be great animated.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Finally got around to seeing it this morning. My impressions, in order:
- Eren, finish healing your hands. Your hands. They need to heal first before you can transform.
- Oh look! Hannes has arrived just in time to die! He's not a complete idiot by grounding it, but we all know how this ends.
- We're certainly getting a lot of injuries and deaths in this episode.
- Mikasa is totally going in for a kiss, isn't she? Eren didn't get it at all.
- WTF is going on? Is this the "coordinate" power? A coordinate is a location, not a set of directions, so this seems like a poor choice of words.
- Why isn't Bertholdt transforming?
- Ymir, don't be a tragic lesbian. You don't owe them anything. I get that you see it as redemption of a sort, but you have to know you're returning to your death. Cult figureheads, regardless of whether they've "stolen" shifting power, can't be allowed to live.
- Levi is pissed that he wasn't with Erwin.
- Hey, Hange and Conny have arrived to announce what I figured out in season 1! At least everyone looks appropriately shocked. Except Erwin, wtf dude, you're creeping Levi out.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Raxivace posted:

Well this new season made me want to continue the manga, if that counts. I had read up to Ch 57 before and then fell off, though the new season of the anime renewed my interest (And I forgotten most of everything that happened after season 1 anyways, so this has all been a fun refresher).

That's one reason that I don't want to start the manga. It would simultaneously ruin the S3 experience for me (thread participation, etc), but I'm terrible at reading manga and tend to focus too heavily on the text boxes in comparison to the images (a defensive reflex, I assume, since a lot of the manga I've tried to read, outside of comedy stuff like Love Lab or Seitokai Yakuindomo, has had indecipherable action scenes), so it might not add much to my experience when it eventually rolls around. I can look at the full-page "key images" or whatever they're called, but I'm not really sure how well I'll remember them.

I'll still probably do it, but I'm going to give it a week or two and start over from the beginning just to get a little bit of the "freshness" back.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Coordinate means to bring the different elements of (a complex activity or organization) into a harmonious or efficient relationship.

Also Erwin was just giddy that he had been killing people all this time and that they could be understood, instead of being aliens or something.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Best part of the episode was Armin forgetting all about his training and waving his sword around like an idiot. Also I really thought Mikasa was gonna buy the farm while saving Eren one last time. Which, although annoying, felt like something that would happen at this point of the story. I'm slightly annoyed everything worked out because of magic shonen powers. I have to give the VA credit for that yell, though. That was top tier!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 18, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Coordinate means to bring the different elements of (a complex activity or organization) into a harmonious or efficient relationship.

The japanese word they used (座標) really just refers to a point in a coordinate system though.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Besides the protagonist losing his remaining paternal figure, half of the survey corps dying, and only having a horrifying realization as the one thing to show for their troubles, yeah I guess everything worked out neatly.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Besides the protagonist losing his remaining paternal figure, half of the survey corps dying, and only having a horrifying realization as the one thing to show for their troubles, yeah I guess everything worked out neatly.

Not too shabby considering how it usually goes in this show! And Mikasa got a pretty nice confession scene out of it as well, even if Eren didn't bite.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Renoistic posted:

I'm slightly annoyed everything worked out because of magic shonen powers.
Eren's big asspull works out okay because there has to be SOME reason that Reiner and Bert are trying to capture him. His Titan form is pretty handy, but it doesn't really seem to have any significant advantage over theirs or Annie's.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Eren's big asspull works out okay because there has to be SOME reason that Reiner and Bert are trying to capture him. His Titan form is pretty handy, but it doesn't really seem to have any significant advantage over theirs or Annie's.

It would have been more in line with the rest of the show to have Eren just hit the Titan with nothing happening, and Mikasa & Co having to pull him out of the fire. But I guess that might've been too cruel at this point, especielly since it's the last episode of the season. I'd be OK with the entire show just being an excuse to dump on Eren and shonen tropes, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

guess I don't know what I'm talking about then, rip me

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Renoistic posted:

It would have been more in line with the rest of the show to have Eren just hit the Titan with nothing happening, and Mikasa & Co having to pull him out of the fire. But I guess that might've been too cruel at this point, especielly since it's the last episode of the season. I'd be OK with the entire show just being an excuse to dump on Eren and shonen tropes, though.

Eren is kinda weird, in that while I see the shonen tropes I also think he's nowhere near the typical shonen protagonist. Any other series he would be treated as the homicidal maniac that he so dearly wishes to be. His rageball will drill through the heavens.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I want to read the manga because this season was fascinating and I want to know more about what's going on beyond what I've already spoiled for myself, but at the same time I like the anime so much that I want to wait for the next season. Not sure what I'll ultimately choose to do.

FWIW, it's really fun to watch the anime knowing what's up in the manga, both in seeing how the panels become scenes and in watching all those subtle cues you missed the first time because you didn't know the future.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I read the manga after running out of anime to watch right when reiner and bertholdt revealed themselves on the wall and it's still worth watching the anime to see how they animate that stuff

the manga looks alright but the anime is much, much better and lends a lot to the way the survey corps move when they fight. there are definitely some fights I'm excited to see in motion later

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

Best part of the episode was Armin forgetting all about his training and waving his sword around like an idiot. Also I really thought Mikasa was gonna buy the farm while saving Eren one last time. Which, although annoying, felt like something that would happen at this point of the story. I'm slightly annoyed everything worked out because of magic shonen powers. I have to give the VA credit for that yell, though. That was top tier!

Look i know it's gonna be a looong wait, but trust me, it's not magic shounen powers

They'll get to the basement eventually and the basement pays off

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Honestly I was rooting for Reiner and co for that last arc because I wanted to see where they were going.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://youtu.be/JSxs-vj_VYg

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Middle episodes dragged things out, but that still managed to be one of the best 1-cour series of the year to date. Were we supposed to recognize the dude who was chilling on (and I assumed was previously 'piloting') Monkey Troubles? Someone upthread suggested Eren's dad but that doesn't make sense--they had 3D maneuvering gear years before his dad vanished, and the Beast Titan seemed genuinely surprised by it.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Middle episodes dragged things out, but that still managed to be one of the best 1-cour series of the year to date. Were we supposed to recognize the dude who was chilling on (and I assumed was previously 'piloting') Monkey Troubles? Someone upthread suggested Eren's dad but that doesn't make sense--they had 3D maneuvering gear years before his dad vanished, and the Beast Titan seemed genuinely surprised by it.
The guy can't be his dad, but there is something similar (the glasses plus skinny build?), and the creator loves using physical similarities as signals of what's going on, so family is a decent guess. If Eren's father stole the serum to turn Eren into a titan/shifter/the coordinate before fleeing Ymir's city, then a family member (brother?) might want to track him down to get revenge or return whatever he stole so the family isn't punished. Or maybe the family is reasonably high up and has a scientific/strategic role (and being a shifter is required for their work), so a family member being involved is merely a coincidence. Or If we're going with the "Eren's father turned Eren, then Eren ate him" theory, that implies that his father knew how everything worked, pointing to a family that's entrenched in the system somehow, with people of that status being shifters as a status symbol or reward (the flip side of punishment by becoming a mindless titan).
Now I want to know if Eren's father was a conscientious objector. Knew what was going on, hated it, and ran off with the serum plus whatever makes the coordinate.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Maera Sior posted:

The guy can't be his dad, but there is something similar (the glasses plus skinny build?), and the creator loves using physical similarities as signals of what's going on, so family is a decent guess. If Eren's father stole the serum to turn Eren into a titan/shifter/the coordinate before fleeing Ymir's city, then a family member (brother?) might want to track him down to get revenge or return whatever he stole so the family isn't punished. Or maybe the family is reasonably high up and has a scientific/strategic role (and being a shifter is required for their work), so a family member being involved is merely a coincidence. Or If we're going with the "Eren's father turned Eren, then Eren ate him" theory, that implies that his father knew how everything worked, pointing to a family that's entrenched in the system somehow, with people of that status being shifters as a status symbol or reward (the flip side of punishment by becoming a mindless titan).
Now I want to know if Eren's father was a conscientious objector. Knew what was going on, hated it, and ran off with the serum plus whatever makes the coordinate.

I don't want to try looking up anything but my guess is that it's Armin's dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Holy poo poo, I'm so ashamed of myself for laughing and laughing at this.

• Locked thread