Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Geoff Zahn posted:

Is Ushabti Bone different than Vallejo's Bonewhite, or identical to it? Curious as Bonewhite is slightly lighter than the old Bleached Bone, and not all of the new GW line matches the old despite what the conversion charts say.

Reason I ask is, GW discontinued the main color (Rotting Flesh) I was using for power armor a few years ago. I am using the little bit I have left, but won't be able to finish my army. I was considering switching to Bleached Bone as it seems to be a great replacement color, although lighter, but that is also drying up. I have some fresh Bonewhite, but it seems to be a bit lighter in color.

I can't speak to the Vallejo but Ushabti Bone is a very yellowed off-white and I don't imagine would match up well with any "bleached" paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Re: Rotting Flesh, the GW Nurgling Green is supposed to be the match. It's a bit greener in the pot, though once it's dried it kind of matches better.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Geoff Zahn posted:

Is Ushabti Bone different than Vallejo's Bonewhite, or identical to it? Curious as Bonewhite is slightly lighter than the old Bleached Bone, and not all of the new GW line matches the old despite what the conversion charts say.

Reason I ask is, GW discontinued the main color (Rotting Flesh) I was using for power armor a few years ago. I am using the little bit I have left, but won't be able to finish my army. I was considering switching to Bleached Bone as it seems to be a great replacement color, although lighter, but that is also drying up. I have some fresh Bonewhite, but it seems to be a bit lighter in color.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

VGC Dead Flesh is worth a shot.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is this the same table that recommends VMC Russian Uniform (a bit olive-ish but very much green) as the closest equivalent to PP Greatcoat Grey (bluish mid-dark grey)? How can you gently caress up those two with a billion greys in the VMC line is beyond me.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
You want Coat d Arms Putrid Green. Coat d Arms is always the answer for that era of GE paint colour matching.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Arcturas posted:

What's the light blue color? I might steal that for an accent color on some of my spaceships.

I used the (new?) GW paints that are meant for thousand sons.

Thousand Sons Blue -> Temple Guard Blue -> Ahriman Blue, from darkest to lightest.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Olloth posted:

Painted my test model for my Tyranid scheme. I know I have parts that are not as clean as I want brush control wise but I'm new to painting these rounded edges everywhere and it takes more control than flat necron stuff.

Looking for C&C about colors/techniques before moving it on to the rest of the army. It's definitely vibrant on purpose because I wanted some strong color but I'm wondering if it's too intense. My goal was bone, teal, and red-orange.

I love the paint scheme, it reminds me of the classic Lego moon base White/Orange/Blue scheme.

And not too far off from my own crazy vibrant Tyranids :hf:

General Olloth posted:

I used the (new?) GW paints that are meant for thousand sons.

Thousand Sons Blue -> Temple Guard Blue -> Ahriman Blue, from darkest to lightest.

I used the same colors for the blue on my tyranid, with a couple selective layers of drakenhof nightshade wash, to give a nice gradient and some spots like a poison dart frog :)

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I love the paint scheme, it reminds me of the classic Lego moon base White/Orange/Blue scheme.

And not too far off from my own crazy vibrant Tyranids :hf:

I used the same colors for the blue on my tyranid, with a couple selective layers of drakenhof nightshade wash, to give a nice gradient and some spots like a poison dart frog :)

Yeah I used that wash too. They also used that color scheme for the ice themed sets.

Orange transparent chainsaw!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Yeast, Mango Sentinel, and Beer4TheBeerGod - figured something out. Vallejo Dead Flesh is too dark, but a 1:1 Dead Flesh to Bonewhite is dead on GW's Rotting Flesh. And it seems that Bonewhite is bright enough to be a good highlight color.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

What is the easiest way to paint scrap metal or rusted metal that doesn't involve getting any of the GW technical paints?
I have a bunch of Krieg grenadiers I bought which came partly based.
Base in question:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 17, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Geoff Zahn posted:

Yeast, Mango Sentinel, and Beer4TheBeerGod - figured something out. Vallejo Dead Flesh is too dark, but a 1:1 Dead Flesh to Bonewhite is dead on GW's Rotting Flesh. And it seems that Bonewhite is bright enough to be a good highlight color.

Awesome!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cooked Auto posted:

What is the easiest way to paint scrap metal or rusted metal that doesn't involve getting any of the GW technical paints?
I have a bunch of Krieg grenadiers I bought which came partly based.
Base in question:

Layers of rusty brown, followed with a drybrush of metallic paint along the edges. Washes optional.

If you want to add some texture to it, you can use baking soda to get a more grungy effect.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Layers of rusty brown, followed with a drybrush of metallic paint along the edges. Washes optional.

Aight, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Aight, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Oh, you could also try dry pigments as well, totally forgot about those. Either by brushing it on, or mixing it with water to make a kind of wash and apply it that way.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Oh, you could also try dry pigments as well, totally forgot about those. Either by brushing it on, or mixing it with water to make a kind of wash and apply it that way.

I would if I could in that case. Don't really have any of that available.
Managed to get something rust looking based on your earlier tip but I'll probably just experiment a bit with the rest.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

What's a good resource for doing your own decals? I have never really messed with them before but was considering doing some on a custom chapter of Bigmarines.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Olloth posted:

Orange transparent chainsaw!

Yesss!

I'm trying to see if my cousin can cut me some clear orange acrylic chainsaws for my GSC :)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Slimnoid posted:

Chalk pastels can also be shaved with a scalpel to produce perfectly suitable weathering powders as well. They have the advantage of a greater range of colours and they are usually easier to find.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Pierzak posted:

Is this the same table that recommends VMC Russian Uniform (a bit olive-ish but very much green) as the closest equivalent to PP Greatcoat Grey (bluish mid-dark grey)? How can you gently caress up those two with a billion greys in the VMC line is beyond me.

Yeah, there's a few weird equivalencies on that chart that haven't been really addressed. I will say that particular recommendation comes directly from Vallejo, which is why it's weird that they don't really match that well. From what I can gather, that whole page isn't particularly well-maintained, considering the brushthralls link on the bottom of the page redirects to a site that my adblock and antivirus both immediately twigged out on.

Personally, I tend to use this spreadsheet here, with the dakkadakka chart as backup. Sure, it doesn't cover washes or metallics (which I do understand, but drat if that isn't something I could've used before settling on a paint scheme), but it tends to give a decent point of comparison across a bunch of different companies. It does seem to have been made a while ago, though, as (for example) I've found that Vallejo Model Color Black Red (70.859) is just a hair off of Formula P3's Sanguine Base. Like, BlackRed is just a little less purple, but IMO you'd need to be a machine to add the minute little bit of extra purple without going overboard.

So yeah, take it with a grain of salt, but it's a little more up-to-date than the dakkadakka chart at least.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Maigius posted:

This is going to sound strange, but does anyone have experience using acrylics designed for canvas on minis. I expect we will really have to thin them, but I have a supply of them.
I painted these with liquitex heavy body artist acrylics.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

My camera's crap, but I just finished up painting up some Lizard-men (all but the one on the right, that i already had). Now I have a complete lizard-man squad!

I found the left 3 in a bargain bin at my LFGS today and just had to get them, since i like lizard-folk.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Skails posted:

I painted these with liquitex heavy body artist acrylics.

Holy poo poo, this is beautiful.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Foolster41 posted:

My camera's crap, but I just finished up painting up some Lizard-men (all but the one on the right, that i already had). Now I have a complete lizard-man squad!

I found the left 3 in a bargain bin at my LFGS today and just had to get them, since i like lizard-folk.

Your camera is not that bad, but you need to light them better.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What's a good custom waterslide/transfer decal website? I don't want to hand paint the chapter symbol for my snowflake marines.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JcDent posted:

What's a good custom waterslide/transfer decal website? I don't want to hand paint the chapter symbol for my snowflake marines.

Print your own on decal paper?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Are there any manufacturers who sell 'warbands' ? If you've seen my posts in the Mantic/Mini Wargaming threads I'm trying out a whole bunch of different gaming systems and playing with grotty Dungeon Saga monsters and my four Dwarf independent characters is really dull. I'm not particularly fussed what the dudes are equipped with as long as there's variety (which makes buying a regiment-box fairly impossible.)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Southern Heel posted:

Are there any manufacturers who sell 'warbands' ? If you've seen my posts in the Mantic/Mini Wargaming threads I'm trying out a whole bunch of different gaming systems and playing with grotty Dungeon Saga monsters and my four Dwarf independent characters is really dull. I'm not particularly fussed what the dudes are equipped with as long as there's variety (which makes buying a regiment-box fairly impossible.)

The Frostgrave plastic kits let you build pretty varied guys and are extremely well priced.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Frostgrave has a couple boxes that will give you 20 figs for around 30 MSRP. Soldiers, cultists, gnolls, and barbarians. They all work together too if you want

Edit: beaten like crazy

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Any good tutorials about caring for brushes? I seem to wear mine out way too quickly.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Moose-Alini posted:

Any good tutorials about caring for brushes? I seem to wear mine out way too quickly.

Don't let the paint cover the ferrule. Get some masters brush cleaner. Those are the main two, really.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Moose-Alini posted:

Ghool has a good tutorial on that.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Your camera is not that bad, but you need to light them better.

That might be. I have a LED swivel head lamp that I can never seem to setup at a good angle to get lighting that's not either washed out bright or too dark.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Doing some planning for Reaper Bones "Goremaw". Any of these thumbnails stand out as particularly good/bad?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Paolomania posted:

Doing some planning for Reaper Bones "Goremaw". Any of these thumbnails stand out as particularly good/bad?

Red and purple are most good. Light brown seems a little flat.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Red or purple with the glow from the bottom right would look ace.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Paolomania posted:

How did you do the red? I may steal that for a Blood Bowl team.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bottom middle is pretty good too, but I like the blue lighting effect on the bottom right.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The Frostgrave plastic kits let you build pretty varied guys and are extremely well priced.

Beerdeer posted:

Frostgrave has a couple boxes that will give you 20 figs for around 30 MSRP. Soldiers, cultists, gnolls, and barbarians. They all work together too if you want

Edit: beaten like crazy

Thank you, I will check that out. After I posted I had a rummage and found a box of Perry War of the Roses Infantry - I've bashed about ten into some discrete types but they are very .. uninspiring, compared to more heroic sculpts.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How did you do the red? I may steal that for a Blood Bowl team.
These are just mocks done with multiply layers in GIMP. I've already primed white so to get that red I'd probably base with a hot red of some sort. The purple has the advantage of being the canonical Big Fantasy Worm, but I was worried that would be too cliche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Cross posting from the 40k thread...

quote:

"Finished" this thing tonight. Real happy with it. May clean up some of the edge highlighting tomorrow. =\