Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't know I couldn't jump until I tried to jump accross the top path like I'd done a hundred timea before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Snak posted:

I didn't know I couldn't jump until I tried to jump accross the top path like I'd done a hundred timea before.

You and me both, friend.

Cue half a dozen attempts to get up that loving ladder only to fall down again, and then a handful more trying to jump out of the pipe.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That segment really does seem like the inverse of the Jean-Paul ****** quest to me. If you do the Jean-Paul quest as soon as it becomes available, you end up having to run across a pretty significant portion of the map you've uncovered by that point in the story not only once but twice. It's a bit frustrating, but when you get fast travel about an hour into the story later, it really made me appreciate just how useful being able to teleport around really was.

When you're infected, you're running around a part of the City map that I thought was already a bit annoying to navigate to begin with, at least at times. However, when you can't jump as consistently as you used to do, when enemies you could thoughtlessly smack away before not only are more dangerous but can actually threaten your ability to merely traverse this space etc., it did make me reconsider the kinds of movement I had had before and perhaps been taking for granted by that point in the game.

It's still a bit annoying to play through, but it's a nice way for the game to make a point about the mechanics you're using that's a bit subtler than what most others would have done.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm passed that segment a bit and I have no idea what's going on

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Why do people say that the titles near the start of Route C are a super late title card? It's not like that's the first time you see titles. The start of Route B also has a unique title sequence.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It is because Routes A and B happen at the same time. Players generally assume that Route C will be from A2's perspective leading up to the forest king incident, but the story moves onward instead.

Most important characters die in a massacre, our third protagonist becomes playable for the first time, and a mysterious giant structure emerges from the ground. Then the title card pops up. Route C's opening is paced like a prologue, but most players will have logged over twenty hours of gameplay by that point.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The point that C stood out to me was after A2 puts down 2B, 9S sees the blood, and you understand that there can be no reconciliation, rapproach, no understanding. Not even A2 forming a hybrid personality with her descendant 2B. A2 killed 2B, and that's all that mattered.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Agreed. 9S was completely broken by that moment. He was previously hanging on by a thread, but 2B's death cut him loose. He does not want to know why A2 did it; he just wants to make her (and all machines) suffer.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To make matters worse she then kills 21O just after she spent the entire battle confessing to 9S that all she wanted was to be family with him.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Nier Automata has a tendency to be sedate and low key, which makes the moments where characters go through passionate emotions all the more powerful. If anything, I felt it needed to lean on that more, even during big loud explosive fights, there often wasn't a major personal stake in 2B and 9S (beyond killing poo poo is fun). More often than not, your enemies were the ones who were passionately furious at you, like the YorHA deserters, or the vengeful machine, or the kingless forest kingdom, or Eve. Exceptions were 2B's rescue of 9S, or 9S hacking his way through the religious machines, or the entirety of 9S during C.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

For me the route C title card matched up just fine with the route C 'trailer' you get just before it.

Like 'welcome to season 2 of Nier Automata, the show's contract was renewed and poo poo has gotten serious'

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just finished the attack on the robot village before work. I knew something bad was going to happen there. It wouldn't be a Yoko Taro game otherwise.

Edit: Just got the ocean key. Goddamn :stare:

Len fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 15, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I watched the Square Enix E3 Nier streams that just went on! The verdict: The concert was really good and you should watch it. The 'Emil's E3 Extravaganza' thing was so awful that Yoko Taro tweeted about how lovely it was:

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/875480887994884096

quote:

If the broadcast was going to be this lovely, I should have just gone to E3 myself. It's not that far away from Mexico, anyway

edit:

Basically the stream was the three presenters (And Cassandra Lee Morris, the voice of 6O, though she didn't talk much because of the nerds) wearing white wigs and trying to fight the super secret super boss totally unprepared while the shop theme looped in the background. Every time they died they stopped playing to do a round of the good ol' shock game. It was very

very

bad

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 16, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Please do not imply bad things about Operator 6O. I'm sure she's actually very good at the game and just didn't want to upstage the others.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They didn't even let her play. Really she was the only redeeming thing about it.

edit: Also people were leaving in the hundreds because of the looping shop theme and the presenters commented on it but nothing was done about it. People are suspecting on reddit that the whole thing actually was semi-scripted and they intended to all do poorly and bite it for ~comedy value~

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CJacobs posted:

They didn't let her play

6O's life is suffering.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
There's some really bizarre level scaling in the opening flight mission because returning to it at level 99 the bullets are suddenly one hit kill even outside Very Hard. I have no idea what's going on

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What's going on is the level scaling is terrible and inconsistent. Some things scale and some things don't.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Those going-from-the-bunker-to-the-planet flight sequences always scale to your current level for some reason, even though the section that follows them may or may not be extremely easy or hard by comparison.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's no reason to go back to it aside from dying to get the ending so they make it easy for that to happen :ms:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The difficulty balancing for this game is so out of whack

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

/
Edit nevermind there it is now :psyduck:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do hope that more games start to really take advantage of the unique experiences only they can provide.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm at 97% unit data and as far as I can tell the only things I'm missing are the enhanced thorn and Emil clones. Any tips for that thorn type or basically just save/reload the flooded city until it shows up?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Len posted:

I'm at 97% unit data and as far as I can tell the only things I'm missing are the enhanced thorn and Emil clones. Any tips for that thorn type or basically just save/reload the flooded city until it shows up?
Enhanced Thorn was a bitch for me. I finally got mine at the Flooded City if I recall correctly. I think you can also get it to spawn in the desert just outside of the Apartment sector.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don't remember reading it here but I just saw that as long as there is money for it that the game's creator would do a Nier remake. Do you think that the game has sold well enough that it is likely that will happen?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

rio posted:

I don't remember reading it here but I just saw that as long as there is money for it that the game's creator would do a Nier remake. Do you think that the game has sold well enough that it is likely that will happen?
I think the possibility is there for an HD remaster or something, but a full-on remake like the new FFVII is definitely out of the question.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The original has the bare framework for a much more fleshed out combat system, so I wonder if they would or could make it a little deeper.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Kind of hope that Yoko Taro plays the upcoming Japanese translation of Undertale. It seems like the sort of game that's right up his alley.

Also think that if there were to be a full remake of Nier, it should be after they do a Nier Zero set during the war against Caim's vengeful ghost Red-Eye.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tarezax posted:

It didn't happen to me, because I realized what was happening and immediately mapped out a route that didn't require me to jump and avoided enemies as much as possible the whole way.

Same. Though I was tempted to cut some corners due to the constant countdown timer that doesn't mean anything anyway

rio posted:

SquareEnix did rerelease the game for PS3 in EU when N:A did it's first month of kickass sales, but there's been no word on if it's gonna happen for a current console/PC.

Personally I hope they do a PC release. SquareEnix has put out a decent number of ports of old games onto Steam, so they must be making some money doing that kinda work, so it's a possibility at the very least.

theblackw0lf posted:

Surprised the concert reading by the actors who played 2B and 9S wasn't posted yet. It's pretty fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ08khNM1Fg

There's 4 more acts after that.

Major spoilers though, even in the very beginning. Don't listen until after you finished the game.

Well, poo poo. This is awesome. You can tell after playing the game they have slightly different readings for the characters now.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Sandman posted:

Kind of hope that Yoko Taro plays the upcoming Japanese translation of Undertale. It seems like the sort of game that's right up his alley.

Also think that if there were to be a full remake of Nier, it should be after they do a Nier Zero set during the war against Caim's vengeful ghost Red-Eye.

he said he wanted it to be translated so he could play it around the time it came out but i dunno if he ever got someone to live translate it for him like swery did.

either way he's been tweeting about it since the port was announced.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

rio posted:

I couldn't see that happening. Nier 1 just didn't sell very well and I can't see Square taking the gamble. Even the most basic port costs a lot of money and Automata's success is in no way a predictor of how many people would buy a Nier 1 port. Remasters cost a lot more than ports so that definitely won't be happening. A tiny vocal percentage clamoring for it on internet forums isn't a good predictor either.

They just issued a limited reprint of PS3 Nier and I imagine that that's the full extent of what they'll do.

Where did you read that? The only site I can think of that would be so irresponsible to say something like that is Kotaku. Or random weirdos on Reddit.

...! fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 20, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
From the LP thread:

dalthorn posted:

Oh god, does this mean that 9S will be masturbating over a comatose 2B?

I'm gonna quote this again when the LP finally reaches the part where 2B gives 9S a hand

edit: oh god

chiasaur11 posted:

All I know is, somebody's getting strangled.

edit2: chiasaur has posted in this thread so this is a nudge wink dealie I guess.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 20, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
9S is pretty different from Shinji especially since 9S has lived his whole life for a "real" purpose, and the story is about his understanding of the world getting ripped to shreds. Shinji on the other hand started out rock bottom, almost got convinced that life could be good, and then is beaten to a pulp before... I guess a similar ending to nier automata.

9S is a pretty healthy kid, within the bubble of "existence" that is yorha, as opposed to Shinji who suffers from severe depression.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

9S is great because he starts the game as a slightly racist little dweeb and ends up incredibly racist and insane.

I finally got 100% yesterday. Not sure if I want to give the first Nier another try as I've never been able to get into it

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just view him as broken by the time the game ends rather then racist. Considering what the main robot group had done to both YorHa and Pascal's village I don't see anything wrong in wanting them dead.

Going back to the image I think having 9S sit down works a bit better due to what happens to both him and Asuka at the end of Route A/B and the movie respectively \.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

...! posted:

I couldn't see that happening. Nier 1 just didn't sell very well and I can't see Square taking the gamble. Even the most basic port costs a lot of money and Automata's success is in no way a predictor of how many people would buy a Nier 1 port. Remasters cost a lot more than ports so that definitely won't be happening. A tiny vocal percentage clamoring for it on internet forums isn't a good predictor either.

They just issued a limited reprint of PS3 Nier and I imagine that that's the full extent of what they'll do.

Where did you read that? The only site I can think of that would be so irresponsible to say something like that is Kotaku. Or random weirdos on Reddit.

Yoko Taro said it in a Famitsu interview and it was on a whole bunch of websites. I found it just searching for "Nier remake" if you want to see which sites were reporting it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

rio posted:

Yoko Taro said it in a Famitsu interview and it was on a whole bunch of websites. I found it just searching for "Nier remake" if you want to see which sites were reporting it.

Taro says lots of stuff that shouldn't be taken seriously (doing a search for 'Nier 1 remake' also reports him talking about a Drakengard remake too, which is even sillier) and it wouldn't be his decision anyway. The sites you mention are all garbage tier. Show me one well known, well respected site that is reporting that rumor as fact.

As much as I'd love it, it's not ever going to happen. It makes zero financial sense for Square to do so. It'd be a gigantic gamble that would be unlikely to pay off. And they've got higher priority games to be sinking their money into. Square's reason for not releasing Automata on Xbone is that they feel they're unlikely to garner enough sales for a port to be worth the cost. If they're not willing to port a financially successful game like Automata, they're definitely not going to port a sales bomb like Nier 1.

The most that will happen will be another PS3 reprint. That's it.

...! fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 20, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What rumor is there? Does Yoko Taro saying "I'd like to see that" count as a rumor, really? What do there have to be facts about? He was just asking if other people think it's a possibility.

And I do, personally, but I'm sure if there was a re-release it'd just be the standard upscaled port, which would be perfectly acceptable imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

SE is the company that gambled on Taro to develop a new flagship title to begin with. You're underestimating how much they're banking on the hype surrounding him now. And Nier actually didn't have poor sales in Japan. Despite its flaws it was a moderate success

I think it's more likely he'll continue directing original titles but a Nier remake is nowhere near an impossibility