Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

radical meme posted:

Question(s), how much of this election was a backlash against Brexit; did Brexit adversely affect young people more than other demographics?

If it did affect younger people more, how?

Brexit hasn't happened yet but overwhelmingly the people who voted for it will be dead within 10+ years. The people will be alive for 70+ years overwhelmingly voted against it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

An awful lot of younger people were counting on having EU citizenship for the purposes of their continuing education and/or future careers, which got pulled out from underneath them.

Venom Snake posted:

Brexit hasn't happened yet but overwhelmingly the people who voted for it will be dead within 10+ years. The people will be alive for 70+ years overwhelmingly voted against it

So young people were already prdesposed to vote for whatever group hadn't already tried to gently caress up their future.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

radical meme posted:

So young people were already prdesposed to vote for whatever group hadn't already tried to gently caress up their future.

As far as its effect on the election, it's a bit mixed. Labour generally did better in Remain areas and tories in Leave areas but Labour received a lot of ex-UKIP voters, so it wasn't just a re-run of the referendum. The Lib Dems ran as a straight up Remain party and crashed pretty hard. There just isn't a winning coalition to be made from hardcore Remainers. The Leavers still support leaving and a lot of Remainers have accepted that it's happening and have moved on to trying to minimise the damage. Labour 3-line whipped to vote for article 50, which helped get Leavers on side while a lot of Remainers trust Corbyn to do the least harmful Brexit possible, at least in comparison to May. It's a potentially fragile coalition but it obviously worked.

Plus, a lot of straight up domestic policies like public services and national security became important during the campaign, it wasn't just fought on Brexit. For example, young people liked Corbyn's social democratic policies and his promise of no tuition fees as much, if not more, than his policy on Brexit.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

UrbicaMortis posted:

Plus, a lot of straight up domestic policies like public services and national security became important during the campaign, it wasn't just fought on Brexit.

Much to the surprise and consternation of May's team lol

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Labour had policies that would hugely improve the lives of young people, a strong ideological position that would appeal to them and a leader who was seen as different from the traditional politicians who had let young people down so badly. They had a very strong positive campaign in that area, and it's no accident that Labour ended up 50 points ahead with the 18-24s (compared to 4 points ahead in 2015).

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

radical meme posted:

Question(s), how much of this election was a backlash against Brexit; did Brexit adversely affect young people more than other demographics?

If it did affect younger people more, how?

Labour didnt really campaign against the brexit, it campaigned for domestic lefty stuff.

And surprisingly it worked!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Venom Snake posted:

lol

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
has twisted theresa and co been drawn and quartered yet?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/danhancox/status/876389822713278464

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I guess tory promises on relocation close to London actually meant to someplace 200+ miles outside of London.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the new election campaign is writing itself

what are the chances like 5 tory MPs initiate a confidence vote if there's a particularly garish DUP demand for C&S?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I can imagine Ken Clarke would enjoy plunging the knife in, but all the rest of the Tories treat Corbyn as an end of civilisation event.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
she's hosed if this is true lol

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

i think the tories are retarded, confirm/deny

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
they're not retarded but they are malicious

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ekster posted:

i think the tories are retarded, confirm/deny

Spite has won them three elections in a row

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Talksport's right wing talk radio sister station was talking about late capitalism and wealth inequality and why grenfell is a symptom of greed. I really do think this is the moment that causes the downfall of neo-liberalism.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/876567556177481728

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lol the Mail has turned on May and I've gone from thinking she'd hold on to thinking she'd resign has made a complete 180

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i have never seen a politician crash and burn so hard

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lastgirl posted:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lastgirl posted:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lastgirl posted:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZsYvkTw4Rg

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Aliquid posted:

Lol the Mail has turned on May and I've gone from thinking she'd hold on to thinking she'd resign has made a complete 180

Are you basing this on that fake front page or something else?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

am I bad for laughing

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

UHD posted:

am I bad for laughing

No always laugh at that gently caress

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

UHD posted:

am I bad for laughing

Yes.

He lived, it's not funny.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

i feel bad for you brits but i've been laughing really hard the past couple of weeks at UK politics what a spectacular poo poo show

almost as good as US politics

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

UHD posted:

am I bad for laughing

https://twitter.com/UKIPBIackpool/status/876070247278817280

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jBrereton posted:

they're not retarded but they are malicious

In many ways they have much in common with our republican shitheads in the USA.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

UHD posted:

am I bad for laughing

No.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
if anything you're bad if you don't laugh

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

he's enacting brexit negotiations