Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Matrix/Linda ain't got poo poo on the Summers family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Matrix/Linda ain't got poo poo on the Summers family.

They're all clones or children of Jean and/or Scott, it's not that complicated. If there was some alternate universe poo poo involving Scott hooking up with Polaris or Havok having any kids at all or a Jean/Logan universe that had kids, it'd be a different story.

Did they ever do a thing where Magneto/Rogue's kid from age of Apocalypse grew up?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A version was in Exiles, I think.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

A version was in Exiles, I think.

Yeah, he just went by Magnus. I think he died in the first arc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Actually thinking about it, kinda disappointed there isn't a time displaced kid whose grandparents are Havok, Polaris, Logan and Jean. And their mutant abilities are really awesome, but completely unrelated to any of those four. (Fake edit, someone should retcon that into being Hope's backstory).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Actually thinking about it, kinda disappointed there isn't a time displaced kid whose grandparents are Havok, Polaris, Logan and Jean. And their mutant abilities are really awesome, but completely unrelated to any of those four. (Fake edit, someone should retcon that into being Hope's backstory).

Let's not encourage people to write about Hope.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Let's not encourage people to write about Hope.

There's no way on earth you think Hope is the worst X-Men character. And at least she has vaguely defined powers, there's so many characters whose powers amount to "and then energy, sometimes they can fly, sometimes attacking them makes them stronger."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't think she's the worst, and I'm sure someone could make her interesting, but she's pretty terrible, and adds to the ridiculously long list of Phoenix hosts who look way too much like Jean.

I find vaguely defined powers to be a negative, because it encourages asspulls.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Maybe the bird just likes redheads, why does it have to be complicated?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
At this point we all might be clones of Jean/Scott.

Push me too far and I will become... DARK TRAUMA! :ohdear:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Here you go. Context: In this world, everyone has some sort of superpower. Several people with teleportation abilities got into a grisly traffic accident and there wasn't anything the medics could do but wait for them to die. The human is an Adam Strange type, the big horse guy is a knight in a cosmic chess game.

Top Ten #8

You're the best, thanks!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bobulus posted:

Here you go. Context: In this world, everyone has some sort of superpower. Several people with teleportation abilities got into a grisly traffic accident and there wasn't anything the medics could do but wait for them to die. The human is an Adam Strange type, the big horse guy is a knight in a cosmic chess game.

Top Ten #8

I was so mad when True Detectives plagiarized this line because it's such a goddamn great line.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Please post more Top Ten, it looks like a cool series and I have never heard of it before.

Some body positivity from All New Wolverine #21

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sold. Replace Laura with Wade.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Would someone mind explaining the little girl? Based on that page alone, I'm 100% on board, but what's the story there?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Deadpool but with six nipples original character do not steal

The girl is a little even tinier clone of Wolverine. I think?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

haitfais posted:

Would someone mind explaining the little girl? Based on that page alone, I'm 100% on board, but what's the story there?

Clone of Laura, doesn't feel pain, raised in a lab with several other clones of Laura, all the others died in the first arc or two of All New Wolverine. Has a pet wolverine because Squirrel Girl brought one over as a housewarming gift.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

Sold. Replace Laura with Wade.

Never let Wade die like he should have in the 90s

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Skwirl posted:

Clone of Laura, doesn't feel pain, raised in a lab with several other clones of Laura, all the others died in the first arc or two of All New Wolverine. Has a pet wolverine because Squirrel Girl brought one over as a housewarming gift.

Amazing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

Honestly I'm surprised they haven't done more Squirrel Girl/New Wolverine crossovers, they'd make a great duo(plus any opportunity for Doreen to appear in a book that isn't drawn by the artist for her own book is a good thing)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's clones all the way down.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'm surprised they haven't done more Squirrel Girl/New Wolverine crossovers, they'd make a great duo(plus any opportunity for Doreen to appear in a book that isn't drawn by the artist for her own book is a good thing)

I agree. Laura should show up in Squirrel Girl. Jubilee can return to explain that Laura's claws don't actually go "snikt", it's her making the sound.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Bobulus posted:

Top Ten #8

Sometimes I reread a scene I loved when I was younger and it's hokey bullshit. But Top Ten and Astro City both just get better and better with age.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bobulus posted:

Top Ten #8

Those two pages... When I first read them I was still in the process of letting go of someone very close to me who had died horribly. I read those and it was like a dam had broken.

Just now, seeing them for the first time since then, the same thing happened. My reaction was surprising, but not necessarily a bad thing.

These two pages will always be painfully beautiful to me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

I agree. Laura should show up in Squirrel Girl. Jubilee can return to explain that Laura's claws don't actually go "snikt", it's her making the sound.

See the thing is for the most part I'm completely fine with the writing for Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, but the art is just plain awful

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Evil Mastermind posted:

The whole thesis statement of the comic is "superpower guys bad, non-powered people who don't suck up to Batman lame, Batman awesome".

Are there any panels or stories where Batman gets taken down a peg / gets his rear end kicked / gets called out on his poo poo / generally made to look like an idiot? Because I'd love to see those. The only one I can think of is when Bane broke his back, but I'm not a huge Batman reader.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Are there any panels or stories where Batman gets taken down a peg / gets his rear end kicked / gets called out on his poo poo / generally made to look like an idiot? Because I'd love to see those. The only one I can think of is when Bane broke his back, but I'm not a huge Batman reader.

not sure which one and it's not exactly heartwarming but it's a classic

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

rumble in the bunghole posted:

not sure which one and it's not exactly heartwarming but it's a classic

looks like Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia by Greg Rucka. Don't know the artist off hand

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
The art is by JG Jones.

The premise of the book is that Batman is hunting a young woman because she killed someone, but that woman had supplicated herself to Wonder Woman in a ritual called the Hiketeia (just the ancient Greek word for supplication), which made Wonder Woman ritually bound to protect her from anyone, including Batman.

It's a pretty rad book.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

flosofl posted:

Those two pages... When I first read them I was still in the process of letting go of someone very close to me who had died horribly. I read those and it was like a dam had broken.

Just now, seeing them for the first time since then, the same thing happened. My reaction was surprising, but not necessarily a bad thing.

These two pages will always be painfully beautiful to me.

I made the mistake of reading the part of the Deadpool storyline "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" where Wade finds the dead mother of his child in a pile of corpses maybe 2 months after my girlfriend died.

I wouldn't recommend doing that. Although it's an all-time classic storyline, it's Wade's equivalent of the Elektra saga. But holy poo poo did I cry a lot reading that trade. Gerry Duggan is a really good writer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

Please post more Top Ten, it looks like a cool series and I have never heard of it before.

We can't post all twelve issues in their entirety. Just read it, it's loving wonderful.

"Yes,loving is wonderful. And you and I, I fear we will not be loving any more."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

They're all clones or children of Jean and/or Scott, it's not that complicated. If there was some alternate universe poo poo involving Scott hooking up with Polaris or Havok having any kids at all or a Jean/Logan universe that had kids, it'd be a different story.

Did they ever do a thing where Magneto/Rogue's kid from age of Apocalypse grew up?

There is one now (Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows). So now he's on the tree. Which means now it's even more complex! Case in point:

Skwirl posted:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That covers pretty much all appearances by Batman during the 90's to be honest, culminating in the terrible Bruce Wayne: Fugitive story. He was xenophobic, abusive, distrusting and all around rear end. I think it started to get obnoxious after Morrisons JLA Bats. He portrayed Batman as that hypercompetent coworker who's supergood at his job and expects you to be so too, and doesn't have the patience to humor you if you gently caress up or say stupid poo poo. Lesser writers kind of interpreted that as him being an rear end in a top hat and just ran it into the ground, so you had comics where he's deriding Martian Manhunters detective skills (for no loving reason at all) and where he goes on semi-racist tirades against metas, and that's not even covering the dumb poo poo he does to the Bat team.

Having said that, if ya'll are gonna be posting panels not relating to the thread title , please do so in the appropriate threads i.e Not in here. If nothing else, there's the "request a panel " thread that exists for this purpose Tia!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My favorite, which I mentioned a page or two back, is I think OMAC Project #2 during the time when Batman was at his most insufferable. Don't have the panels on me at the moment, but the background is that Blue Beetle was investigating some robbery of some kryptonite his company had and how it was leading to some kind of bigger conspiracy. Batman was too busy obsessing over the new Red Hood and told him to gently caress off. The only people who didn't treat Ted like a joke were Wonder Woman and Booster Gold. Booster even seemed to realize that Beetle was fated to die because he tried to "take the bullet" (which he apparently tried to do for Superman when he initially threw hands with Doomsday back in the day) and ended up hospitalized. Still, Beetle ended up getting shot in the head, jumpstarting the Infinite Crisis event.

Next thing you know, Booster was picked up at the hospital by Wonder Woman so the two of them and Superman could hear news of Ted's whereabouts from Batman. Batman explained that the Brother Eye satellite was stolen from him, pulled out Beetle's broken goggles and says that Beetle was investigating said conspiracy.

Booster lost his poo poo and, paraphrasing, yelled, "You son of a bitch! Ted went to you from the beginning! He went to you and you knew what he was up against and you did nothing! YOU GOT HIM KILLED!" while trying to outright vaporize Batman. The only thing stopping it was Superman dashing in the way. Superman said blame would be placed later, but Booster scoffed because of course Batman would never be punished.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Gavok posted:

My favorite, which I mentioned a page or two back, is I think OMAC Project #2 during the time when Batman was at his most insufferable...

No joke, Countdown to Infinite Crisis and OMAC Project were the 2 books that got me into Booster Gold/Blue Beetle and sold me on DC comics in general. It was so cool seeing amazing seeing Booster (who I was vaguely familiar with) call out Batman for being such a sanctimonious rear end in a top hat, especially after seeing him in his worst "I have a plan for everything and am super awesome" mode after reading Hush not long before.

It was all the more heartwrenching reading the JLI, Fornerly Known As, and I Can't Believe It's Not later knowing how that turned out in the end.

Edit: it still bothers me that Batman didn't ever get called out on all that, all that ended up happening was he got to take a quick trip around the world and somehow magically became less of a jerk when he got back.

good day for a bris fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 20, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I always assumed Batman becoming less of a dick after Infinite Crisis was one of the subtle reality alterations that occurred due to Superboy Prime punching space-time and/or the subsequent rebirth of the Multiverse

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I always assumed Batman becoming less of a dick after Infinite Crisis was one of the subtle reality alterations that occurred due to Superboy Prime punching space-time and/or the subsequent rebirth of the Multiverse

No, when I said magically become less of a dick I meant it literally. Morrison used a modern version of the 10 Eyed Man and Batman did some weird ritual to purge the assholery from his soul in the middle of the desert during 52 (unless I'm remembering wrong).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

good day for a bris posted:

No, when I said magically become less of a dick I meant it literally. Morrison used a modern version of the 10 Eyed Man and Batman did some weird ritual to purge the assholery from his soul in the middle of the desert during 52 (unless I'm remembering wrong).

I'll admit I never finished 52 cause I wasn't a fan of the tone in several of the portions of it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He went to burning man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jedit posted:

We can't post all twelve issues in their entirety. Just read it, it's loving wonderful.

"Yes,loving is wonderful. And you and I, I fear we will not be loving any more."

There was more than 12 issues. There's the spinoffs "The Forty-Niners" (which is a pretty great prequel book) and the Smax mini which is also good, and the whole "Beyond the Farthest Precinct" sequel series that is...not terrible, but not as good as the original run.