Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

DeimosRising posted:

They gotta match salaries so some has to go. They have no one expiring with a big contract and no assets except post Lebron picks. Dumping Kyrie or Love would be the only option unless Pacers like the idea of a TT Turner froncourt and that seems extremely lateral to me. Don't see it happening, but maybe TT plus a far future pick and Phoenix gets a second for Chandler? Far fetched

I wouldn't mind TT. I might be the only one though. I've always thought Turner was more a natural 4 than a 5, especially as his jumper improves.

I'd laugh my rear end off if we trade PG and then go out and sign Hayward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Given that Indy has zero leverage who says no to this:

Indy gets:
Mudiay
Denver 2017 first rounder

Cleveland gets:

Paul George

Denver gets:

Love

Denver would also ship Hibbert and Plumlee away to match salaries.

Indy gets something for George, Denver doesn't have to pay Milsap 30 million a year until his mid thirties, and Cleveland gets to have a chance at beating GSW.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

They gotta match salaries so some has to go. They have no one expiring with a big contract and no assets except post Lebron picks. Dumping Kyrie or Love would be the only option unless Pacers like the idea of a TT Turner froncourt and that seems extremely lateral to me. Don't see it happening, but maybe TT plus a far future pick and Phoenix gets a second for Chandler? Far fetched

Yeah that's what I was thinking, TT's big overpay contract means he has to go but also means the Pacers would be stuck paying him big money for a while. I guess LeBron doesn't need any 2020s picks.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I don't think that's a good trade for anyone involved. Lateral move that kills continuity for Cleveland, Denver gets a guy who doesn't match their timeline and doesn't complement their budding superstar, and Indy I guess is hosed either way but that's a trash return.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, TT's big overpay contract means he has to go but also means the Pacers would be stuck paying him big money for a while. I guess LeBron doesn't need any 2020s picks.

Fwiw he seems like a great match with Turner and on a non contender in Indiana the kardashians will delatch their talent sucking lamprey faces from him and he'll be solid again. Not overpaid under the new cap imo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Love for George doesn't really seem like it would help them against the Warriors unless LeBron convinces Silver to change the rules so that rebounds are worth negative points.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I can't wrap my mind around George to Cleveland trade scenarios. He solves literally none of their problems.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Well what's the one better for Cle? TT for PG or Love? Wouldn't Love have to play the 5 if they ship off TT?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Shear Modulus posted:

Love for George doesn't really seem like it would help them against the Warriors unless LeBron convinces Silver to change the rules so that rebounds are worth negative points.

Gives LeBron some rest on defense

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

pubic works project posted:

Well what's the one better for Cle? TT for PG or Love? Wouldn't Love have to play the 5 if they ship off TT?

The status quo is better for them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shear Modulus posted:

Love was much better this year than people want to give them credit for, but their biggest weakness was a lack of LeBron wing who could play defense (and even in the Finals LeBron coasts a lot on that end because he has to do so much on offense). Like, they had Richard Jefferson on Durant for long stretches

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Athanatos posted:

Gives LeBron some rest on defense

This. The rebounding thing is a concern though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Libertine posted:

I can't wrap my mind around George to Cleveland trade scenarios. He solves literally none of their problems.

Right now they only have one player who is a bona fide alpha and two guys who are alphas most of the time but can get shut down. Adding George brings their Expected Alpha value closer to the magical number of 3.

Love (and LeBron) basically played the 5 all finals since Thompson died.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Really want the sixers to get in on love .

Sixers can take him into space which may be valuable .

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

euphronius posted:

Really want the sixers to get in on love .

Sixers can take him into space which may be valuable .

You can have PG

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

They'd be better keeping love for the regular season but if you assume they can just coast easily to the finals either way Thompson is probably a little more valuable in theory because he's so good at switching defensively (though he was borderline unplayable in the Finals this year, so that's definitely arguable)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tristan, you either break it off with Khloe or I'm sending you to Indiana.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Libertine posted:

What do you think their problems are? Lack of a credible two way wing seems like the biggest one to me by far

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/worst-trade-back-nets-celtics-deal-2013-article-1.3255407?cid=bitly

quote:

Around the All-Star break of [then-head coach Lionel Hollins’] first season, Deron Williams called a meeting to discuss his issues with his coach. It ended with Williams so distraught he had to be restrained from attacking Hollins.

lmao the nets

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Love has 3 years left on his deal which is ideal.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

MourningView posted:

What do you think their problems are? Lack of a credible two way wing seems like the biggest one to me by far

Two way wing play is their team's greatest strength: they have Lebron James. I mean like I get that he maybe gets tired after being required to play 98% of the available minutes, but that's a problem with down the line depth. You can't address that problem by adding another max contract player who plays the exact same position as your greatest player, that's just not rational roster construction.

The Cavs need to somehow get a dominant center (probably impossible) or have TT develop into a more dominant one (unlikely at this point).

The Cavs could also add more shooters but they were already one of the best in the league, and it's really hard to explain how all of them went extremely ice cold in multiple NBA finals games, but if that didn't happen they could have easily taken 1 game and maybe have been looking at a much different series.

George is a ball dominant wing player that is totally unnecessary on a team with Lebron James. He's not going to facilitate or take on a 3rd banana role like Kevin Love does. Love is more effective on the team and had an overall better season than George and they are about the same age. There's literally no strategic, contract, or any rational reason at all to add George while subtracting Love for the Cavs.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Thompson's D at the most important but position isn't enough to make them not awful or even keep him on the floor. He's not an anchor, I think he's better as a switching 4 on D, kind of a less athletic Ibaka. Turner shows flashes of being a more useful lane defender and has range to work on offense with him. Cleveland then makes a play for Chandler or offers their full TPMLE to Dedmon or Nene or Splitter and play a lot of small ball too. Not sure it moves the needle but this current team is not beating GS without an injury so may as well roll the dice if Gilbert will pay

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lebron plays pf and c in the playoffs, there's no overlap

And paul is really good off-ball

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TT to Indy, George to LAC, Jordan to Cleveland or...something. I dunno

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Libertine posted:

Two way wing play is their team's greatest strength: they have Lebron James. I mean like I get that he maybe gets tired after being required to play 98% of the available minutes, but that's a problem with down the line depth. You can't address that problem by adding another max contract player who plays the exact same position as your greatest player, that's just not rational roster construction.

The Cavs need to somehow get a dominant center (probably impossible) or have TT develop into a more dominant one (unlikely at this point).

The Cavs could also add more shooters but they were already one of the best in the league, and it's really hard to explain how all of them went extremely ice cold in multiple NBA finals games, but if that didn't happen they could have easily taken 1 game and maybe have been looking at a much different series.

George is a ball dominant wing player that is totally unnecessary on a team with Lebron James. He's not going to facilitate or take on a 3rd banana role like Kevin Love does. Love is more effective on the team and had an overall better season than George and they are about the same age. There's literally no strategic, contract, or any rational reason at all to add George while subtracting Love for the Cavs.

You need more than one, and LeBron doesn't play two ways most of the time and they almost never put him on the other team's best wing anymore (and they go small so often in the playoffs he's not even on the wing a lot of time). They didn't have anyone they could credibly put on Durant, which is why you saw guys like Jefferson or Shumpert on him so often. "Dominant center" is a thing that largely does not exist and definitely doesn't do anything to help them against the Warriors

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Pacers are probably in a beggars can't be choosers situation, but if they have to dump George would they even want a player like Love in return? He inflates their record and doesn't line up with any realistic shot at contention Indiana might have

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They wouldn't want love . But lots of teams would do so a three way is easily imaginable.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Ahh motherfucker I just lost 9 teams of trade ideas

:siren: Here's the most rational one: Portland Trades Allen Crabbe straight up for Paul George. Portland gets a shot to get in to the second and win again this year, entice George into staying with winning and being a short flight from LA. Their defense and offense would improve. If he leaves, they have 18.5m of cap room and their GM is great at picking up role players at good prices when he's not signing Evan Turner. The downside: they really don't have a downside, they're not going to tank so any development is based on finding diamonds in the rough, and the Warriors will always be there. Indiana gets a good young shooter whose contract won't be an issue while they rebuild. Why not? :)

Here's the most intriguing one: Charlotte trades MKG and someone else worth about 2m for Paul George, MKG is on the Pacers timeline, could learn to not be a human cannonball, and his departure would let the Hornets return to the really good flowing offense that got them the third best record 2 years ago. George would like winning one playoff series, maybe 2, maybe he stays. And if he leaves, then Charlotte isn't capped out for the following 2 years. ;)

Otherwise it's just garbage salary + some sort of first for George or Blah players for Paul George just to get something
:cry: ie the Pelicans trade Omer Asik, Etwuaaaan Moore, Jarmal Crawford (bad), plus an unprotected first for George. They suddenly become a lock for the playoffs. Maybe George likes playing with Holiday/Cousins/Davis. If not, then they're still capped out and don't have a midround pick. Not a huge loss. But the return looks Ugly for the Pacers, so it's not that likely.

:( The Pistons trade Reggie Jackson and an unprotected first for Paul George. Not going to happen

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 19, 2017

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Cavs would be better off trading Kyrie for George, rather than Love.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DeimosRising posted:

Paul George would have to play PF if TT was moved in a deal and he'd throw a fit on the ground and kick his legs like a baby if he had to do that.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

George and Booker would be so loving fun to watch

xbilkis posted:

The Pacers are probably in a beggars can't be choosers situation, but if they have to dump George would they even want a player like Love in return? He inflates their record and doesn't line up with any realistic shot at contention Indiana might have

There are 0 results that line up with contention in Indiana without Paul George, and only a very very small number with him.

Libertine posted:

George is a ball dominant wing player that is totally unnecessary on a team with Lebron James. He's not going to facilitate or take on a 3rd banana role like Kevin Love does.

This is beyond false. PG loving loves getting the ball out of his hands and letting others do work. Unfortunately on the Pacers those players do poo poo work it's not the best idea. PG will kill it being the guy who is spotting up and let the game come to him.

Rick posted:

Paul George would have to play PF if TT was moved in a deal and he'd throw a fit on the ground and kick his legs like a baby if he had to do that.

Cavs PF is way different than what Larry Bird had in mind when he was telling PG to play the 4 in Indy.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Cavs need a big 4 at least, not a different big 3. I love TT and all but I'd ship him sooner'n i'd trade outlet passing, rebounding,3 shooting and foul shot getting Dude Love

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
There is no PG cavs trade that improves the Cavs, unless it's just loving garbage, ie Iman Shumpert and Channing Frye plus a future second round pick for George. That makes them an even better offense and a better defense. More Lebron rest. Never going to happen

If the Suns trade for Paul George it might be disgruntled guard Brandon Knight + Alex Len or whichever non Booker young player the Pacers want. But it would be a weird trade. The Suns would hope that they could put together a team that challenenged for the 8th seed and offered a short flight to LA. Trading a first round pick that wasn't hyper protected would be way too risky. No suns trade unless the new contract is already agreed to, I think, the same goes for any bad team.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Love to Denver really works too yeah. Denver can throw a whole bunch of slop at Indiana.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lebron - kyrie - pg - tt - (whatever wing) seems like a better match up against the warriors imho.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
George may matchup slightly better against GSW than Love, but then Cleveland has no one to punish teams that go small down low, and I think that's just a new problem for them. Take into account that it will probably take some time for PG to integrate into the team and I am not sure this is all that great of a deal.

If you can get PG and somehow keep Lebron, Love, and Kyrie do it in a heartbeat. Even if it effectively means you only get 1 season of that team.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Denver doesn't want Kevin Love. They already know what playing a bad defense frontcourt looks like

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

despite TT having a bad finals hes a pretty dang good player and trading the only dude on your entire roster who is a traditional big man and can play the 5 seems not a great idea. especially if the concept is to match up better vs the warriors cause, again this finals notwithstanding(there are two others!!!), TT is good vs the warriors.

Dejan Bimble posted:

There is no PG cavs trade that improves the Cavs, unless it's just loving garbage, ie Iman Shumpert and Channing Frye plus a future second round pick for George. That makes them an even better offense and a better defense. More Lebron rest. Never going to happen

yeah i agree with this, losing TT/love compromises them so much that they would need an additional starter quality big from somewhere and i dont get how they get one? it would need to be actual garbage the pacers were willing to take.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Denver doesn't want Kevin Love. They already know what playing a bad defense frontcourt looks like

Yeah, Denver needs a defense minded PF and a PG rotation that doesn't consist of a 35 year old 5'11 dude and a record-settingly bad 20 year old kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dejan Bimble posted:

Here's the most intriguing one: Charlotte trades MKG and someone else worth about 2m for Paul George, MKG is on the Pacers timeline, could learn to not be a human cannonball, and his departure would let the Hornets return to the really good flowing offense that got them the third best record 2 years ago. George would like winning one playoff series, maybe 2, maybe he stays. And if he leaves, then Charlotte isn't capped out for the following 2 years. ;)

I'd do this and a pick in a heartbeat but unfortunately I don't think MKG has enough juice to swing it. They might have a better shot dangling Batum but it'd probably hurt them long-term even if I like the idea of a stealth blow-up

• Locked thread