Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it'd be really stupid to get up in arms about Rome having black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
That episode had nothing spectacular about it, but was a solid episode.

No attempts to change the status quo, no meta elements and no faking out the audience. No extraneous pop culture tie-ins or trying to be hip, either.

It was a nice corridor crawl/monster of the week episode, with just enough nice dialog and trickery by the Doctor, and a few thought-provoking comments about society, but nothing shoved down our throat.

Even the stuff at the end with Missy didn't overshadow the episode.

I could go for three years of episodes like this one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While I like the idea of "If everyone is able to understand each other they realise that they are very similar after all" that the episode was going for, it falls apart when applied to many conflicts, because most warcrimes are perpetrated against the same countries own people, so the language barrier is no excuse for lazy scapegoating. It's a good use of the translation field and for most iron age conflicts it does work though as that seemed to be when everyone was invading everyone else.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Lots of Tacitus :allears:

Raptores orbis, postquam cuncta vastantibus defuere terrae, iam mare scrutantur: si locuples hostis est, avari, si pauper, ambitiosi, quos non Oriens, non Occidens satiaverit: soli omnium opes atque inopiam pari adfectu concupiscunt. auferre trucidare rapere falsis nominibus imperium, atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant (Tac., Agr. 30.4-5).

My crappy translation: 'The robbers of the world...after they have destroyed swathes of land, then they devastate the sea. If their enemies are rich, then they [the Romans] are greedy. If their enemies are poor, then they enslave them. They are not satisfied with East nor West. They alone of all people crave desire as much as wealth. To plunder, to butcher, to rape -- they call it 'Empire'.....they create a desert, and call it peace'.

It's a speech of a captured British king before the emperor in Rome; the Romans are so touched by it, they spare him and his family, although they make them live in a sort of house arrest in Rome after that. You can see matey from To the Manor Born all buttered up and giving the speech in I, Claudius as he plays the captured king Caractacus.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 18, 2017

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

How hard can it possibly be to get fake rocks that arent obviously fake? Because that was some big grey polystyrene bullshit right there. Apart from that episode was pretty okay. And took me a minute to recognise "tell that to kanjiklub" as one of the romans.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Burkion posted:

Yeah, it'd be really stupid to get up in arms about Rome having black people.

Just cuz its stupid won't stop people from doing i though. Like people complaining about "Bill's sexuality being shoved in our faces every episode".

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

SiKboy posted:

How hard can it possibly be to get fake rocks that arent obviously fake? Because that was some big grey polystyrene bullshit right there.

At least it wasn't this bad

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Eaters of Light gifs - click to view, last gif contains spoilers for next week.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Greyhawk posted:

At least it wasn't this bad

Ah yes, the Tale of the Giant Polystyrene Penis... a tale as old as time...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Quite good even though the bit with the crows was kinda dumb.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Namtab posted:

I didn't hate the Crow thing, but I hate how they will set something up like the crow thing, pay it off, and then explain pretty much directly to the camera the thing they just paid off as if we hadn't just been watching the whole thing play out over 40 something minutes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Next week looks pretty fun though - if they can pull it off.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

remusclaw posted:

I didn't hate the Crow thing, but I hate how they will set something up like the crow thing, pay it off, and then explain pretty much directly to the camera the thing they just paid off as if we hadn't just been watching the whole thing play out over 40 something minutes.

It's still aimed at families, meaning that they have to make sure that children understand what happened.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Namtab posted:

According to St Augustine, crows say 'Cras! Cras!' because they're lazy procrastinating bastards (cras being Latin for 'tomorrow').

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Namtab posted:

See, that's part of what I liked.

I've been struggling to come up with a way to describe this kind of plot which I have an admitted weakness for, even if it's cheesy, and the best I'm coming up with is "mythical." Stories like this blend modern storytelling with ancient - come listen to the tale of the ancient warriors whose heroism was so great that the crows now cry their names/they became a constellation/origin of whatever other thing we see every day. It's a thing that's done in Ovidian or American oral tradition stories, and when it's done well (to my tastes) the mythical resolution sneaks up on you a bit.

:shrug:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm really hoping they pull of the (next episode foe spoiler) Mondasian Cybermen properly.

I've always thought a great way to make them horrifying and a world menace is to emphasise their early "survival at all costs" mentality. Have them responding to groups in distress and "saving" them through conversion because it's much more horrifying to emphasise the Cybermen thinking they're helping you. The fact the next episode seems to be about a doomed spaceship might mean they're doing the exact scenario I want to see.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Namtab posted:

Next week looks pretty fun though - if they can pull it off.

The thing that worries me about it is that preview laid out three separate concepts, all of which I really want to see, just not all at once.

I want a whole episode about Missy trying to be the hero, a whole episode with the Mondasian Cybermen (and just the brief glimpses we saw suggest they'll be done some honor and allowed to be properly slow and creepy), and a whole new episode with Prime Minister Saxon. I'm just worried that all of them at once will be a problematic snarl; the Missy/Master elements detracting from the mood the Mondasians would do well in, while they provide a backdrop too dark and subtle to support the personalities of the other villains.

...I mean I shouldn't be worried, Missy provided us the best Cyberman episode of the revival. But I am, I'm scared we'll get too much of a good thing.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Lost the wife, gained the rubbish beard. :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

...I mean I shouldn't be worried, Missy provided us the best Cyberman episode of the revival. But I am, I'm scared we'll get too much of a good thing.

Shame there weren't any Cybermen in that episode

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I really liked that. The really solid standalone episodes do tend to be my favorites, though,which I get is not true of everyone.

For all the obvious mysteries about the upcoming finale, I confess to being most curious about how the Cybermen are going to react to Nardole

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burkion posted:

You gotta admit the door hint was pretty drat clever though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I was wondering how they could do this without having canon issues with Spare Parts, but then I remembered there's probably hundreds of years of Mondasian history between that story and Tenth Planet, so there could be a lot of room.

I wonder if Cyber-Commander Zheng will show up. THAT would be the ultimate Big Finish Easter Egg! :allears:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Never really got canon complaints in this show, honestly. Continuity problem? Time travel butterfly effected it somehow. :shrug:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Doctor Who's never really concerned itself with canon - well, it does nowdays to a degree, but they tend not to let that get in the way of a story. v:v:v

It's never been like the Star Wars EU, where everything was rigorously catalogued to levels of canon. Despite what that TARDIS wikia tries to do, anyway.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 18, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Astroman posted:

I was wondering how they could do this without having canon issues with Spare Parts, but then I remembered there's probably hundreds of years of Mondasian history between that story and Tenth Planet, so there could be a lot of room.

I wonder if Cyber-Commander Zheng will show up. THAT would be the ultimate Big Finish Easter Egg! :allears:

The end of Spare Parts is pretty much the perfect end to a cyberman story. Oh, cool, the doctor won! Oh, one cyberman left? Welp.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Burkion posted:

*Ahem*

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

docbeard posted:

I really liked that. The really solid standalone episodes do tend to be my favorites, though,which I get is not true of everyone.

For all the obvious mysteries about the upcoming finale, I confess to being most curious about how the Cybermen are going to react to Nardole

Remember the end of season 2? That's how.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9z9C8FOKvg

"Hello, I'm Doctor Who."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Paging DoctorWhat:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like the various promo images the BBC makes for Doctor Who

Simms actually looks like another Master with that goatee...

Not as magnificent as Delgado, but hey, nobody's perfect

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 18, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Vinylshadow posted:

I like the various promo images the BBC makes for Doctor Who

That pose makes me think of Christopher Walken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF28PETSYFE&t=63s

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I hate this

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That one was alright, although I'm getting a little tired of "Don't be such babies, juts because they murdered everyone you love" speeches. It's interesting to try to picture the Seventh Doctor and Ace in the same situations, given that was the last time Rona Munro wrote.

Three more episodes with Peter Capaldi and Stephen Moffat (and, probably, let's face it, Pearl Mackie), and then it's on to a whole different world. These next two episodes look like they're going to be packed with stuff. Let's just hope they're not overpacked and they get the pacing right.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Namtab posted:

I hate this

Ahaha I knew the moment I saw this somebody here would.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Burkion posted:

The stuff with Danny in the cemetery was the best Cyberman stuff the show has done in ages even if the episode didn't have "real" Cybermen

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Namtab posted:

I hate this

What do you hate about it? The meta elements or the campiness?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TinTower posted:

Paging DoctorWhat:

This is so sweet :3:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
yeah it's pretty great

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Namtab posted:

I hate this

I know, it's great. It's just so terribly bad. It's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
I really liked this episode, right up to the point where the Doctor wanted to guard the gate. The vault would still be there, since he's a time traveler, and things wouldn't be undone because he decided to do a thing at this point in time and space.

Plus, since the future isn't any worse off without the Doctor knowing about the gate, it'd pretty much be a fixed point in time.

I do like episodes that actually explore past events, or science-y stuff, as Doctor Who was "intended". It's fun to throw "what if alien" at past events.
The one episode that really sticks out for me in that regard was the Pompei episode (with Peter Capaldi!), which did a similar thing, with the gut wrenching ending of fixed point, but with a bit of Doctor magic mixed in by saving that one family.

• Locked thread