Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I shot a P239 today. After 4 shots the slide jammed shut with a live round inside but not properly chambered (dropping the hammer went click instead of bang), and needed to be smacked open. I went over it with the range armorer and we have no idea how it happened.

Don't mention it in TFR; I mentioned a fault in the Sig thread and got accused of making it up. Apparently Sig cannot fail, it can only be failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was reading an early review and apparently one owner was told by SIG customer support that the gun needed to be broken in by using the bullets to polish the feed ramp as it operated.

He asked why they didn't just polish the feed ramp at the factory.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Midjack posted:

Don't mention it in TFR; I mentioned a fault in the Sig thread and got accused of making it up. Apparently Sig cannot fail, it can only be failed.

Counter suggestion: mention it in TFR and watch the "well actually...."s roll in.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

BUG JUG posted:

Counter suggestion: mention it in TFR and watch the "well actually...."s roll in.

Well actually... Did you save the cartridge? Was it in spec?

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 19, 2017

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Did a two day 3-gun match this weekend. 3 stages afternoon, 2 stages at night, 3 more stages the next day (two of which were the stages we had shot at night, but in daylight for comparison's sake.)

The biggest impact on night shooting performance for most guys (beyond basic fundamentals etc) was how bright their flashlights were. Lots of guys had jerry rigged flashlights onto their shotguns, cheap lovely ones that barely reached at all. As a result, they had to search a lot more for the targets. A couple of the lights kept going back and forth between normal, strobe, and SOS mode with each shot, since they weren't built to take recoil. poo poo was like being at a rave. One guy even duct taped one of those old school D-cell maglites onto his shotgun.

tl;dr have a good loving light on your gun if you want to shoot at night.

I'm tired as gently caress today as a result of all this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giqWXdxiaTs

I tried to do some shooting with nods on the night stage with rifle, but given the overcast skies and total lack of starlight or moonlight, it really sucked.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

One guy even duct taped one of those old school D-cell maglites onto his shotgun.
This guy owns.

The Rat posted:

I tried to do some shooting with nods on the night stage with rifle, but given the overcast skies and total lack of starlight or moonlight, it really sucked.
I'm not current on my nighttime shoot mans CBT, but don't you have a bunch of really expensive IR flashlights and IR illuminators on your guns for exactly this purpose?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yup! And it still didn't help when trying to hit 8-12" targets out to 75y, or full size silhouettes at 100. Without any other light source, there was no visible shadow or contrast behind the steels with which to identify them.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
gently caress that, man. Even being around .mil dudes who are somewhat familiar with night shooting is sketchy enough (inherent risks and such). I'd nope right the gently caress out of that poo poo.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
night shooting in the military isn't really that hard because night vision and lasers. its just tedious.

qualifying crews with the 25mm at night sucked. there was always one crew that just couldn't shoot and/or download the gun so the whole thing drags out until 3am.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sometimes you get "lucky". Last night range I OICd was vehicle crew serves and it rained just hard enough to wash out the FLIR image, so the contractors said gently caress it and shut it down.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The only time I've ever heard cease fires in the army were at night ranges.

One was when we were all lined up with M4s plugging away, and watching some of the lasers swing all over the range is terrifying. Then some fires a burst across the range almost into the shooters on the firing line and welp.

The other time was in Korea when a loving Bradley from another unit got lost and was racing across the land when we were searching for targets. Our tanks gunner spots him lasers him, and realized that it's a loving Bradley and just aims the barrel to the sky and screams cease fire over the net.

Some people can be trusted at night, some can't. I wouldn't do them again voluntarily.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

Yup! And it still didn't help when trying to hit 8-12" targets out to 75y, or full size silhouettes at 100. Without any other light source, there was no visible shadow or contrast behind the steels with which to identify them.

Huh. Good to know.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

not caring here posted:

The other time was in Korea when a loving Bradley from another unit got lost and was racing across the land when we were searching for targets. Our tanks gunner spots him lasers him, and realized that it's a loving Bradley and just aims the barrel to the sky and screams cease fire over the net.
:stare:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hey TC, what's an "impact area"? :downs:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXAhspF5jcQ

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

fuckin leeches

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Stay safe, gullible milsurp nerds. :ohdear:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Don't dox me please

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pretty ballsy.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

That is not the correct way to hold a Penis.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Look at this boring vanilla fucker.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH1ruMGpTVY

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Almost broke my brain when I realized (a season later) that Erin from The Office was Blowjob Girl.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Godholio posted:

Almost broke my brain when I realized (a season later) that Erin from The Office was Blowjob Girl.

:stare:

That who I thought that was too

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
And Kimmy Schmidt.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

and 21 Jump Street

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Who what now?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Naked Bear posted:

Who what now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uMA8VyUgeE

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I still regret passing up on a couple of Swedish Mausers (both m/38, I think) that I saw in a shop a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueaDzUieuS4

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

katana thread in gbs is delivering

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
those are some dope photoshopped tats

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Went to the range today. I took out a Glock 19, a firearm that I am well aquatinted with, and loving sucked today. I had good site picture and site alignment and a good grip, but consistently shot low and left between 21 and 50 feet. Any ideas? It was kind of maddening.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

suboptimal posted:

Went to the range today. I took out a Glock 19, a firearm that I am well aquatinted with, and loving sucked today. I had good site picture and site alignment and a good grip, but consistently shot low and left between 21 and 50 feet. Any ideas? It was kind of maddening.

Anticipating recoil?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

suboptimal posted:

You should've used the sights instead

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

suboptimal posted:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Friend is looking for a handgun to carry when he's in the wilderness fishing, he goes to bear country alot. Got into discussing it with him and I have no idea what will work against a bear. But after discussing came up with some baseline other aspects he wants. Not a revolver, no interest in ever owning more than 4 or 5 guns total, and something that he can enjoy shooting at the range every few weekends. So pretty much a full size pistol with a good clip capacity, and probably .40 or .45? Are 357 semi's good?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

suboptimal posted:

This is for the right hand, so obviously flip it if you're shooting lefty.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

Friend is looking for a handgun to carry when he's in the wilderness fishing, he goes to bear country alot. Got into discussing it with him and I have no idea what will work against a bear. But after discussing came up with some baseline other aspects he wants. Not a revolver, no interest in ever owning more than 4 or 5 guns total, and something that he can enjoy shooting at the range every few weekends. So pretty much a full size pistol with a good clip capacity, and probably .40 or .45? Are 357 semi's good?

If he wants a magnum-level pistol, he could look into 10mm with hot loads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

what kind of bear?