Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

TheChirurgeon posted:

You can move and assault after you disembark. If you need to keep them in the transport another turn, keep them in the transport.

I understand I can do that. It doesn't solve the problem at all. My assault range is still lower than it was previously. Particularly with Ork Trukks.

I'm glad there's extra tactical flexibility and all that, and it's good to be able to use Rhinos with assault troops. But for armies that were already well equipped to assault out of their transports, you lose at least 3" off of your expected charge range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Seriously it's a net benefit all around. Without access points you can just put your guys 3" in front of the transport, then move 6" (or whatever) THEN charge. That's a pretty impressive distance.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Thundercloud posted:

I've got a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvu8KyPq5S8

Part I of doing my Primaris army, Warriors of Iron (original chapter, do not steal).

Stealing

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

WhiteWolf123 posted:

It's better for Berserkers and stuff that couldn't charge from their Rhinos at all, but it's worse for armies that already had "assault vehicles" at their disposal.

I don't think this is necessarily true. Being a Harlequin player, I've already used their Clown Cars in 8th edition games to soak overwatch fire for the squishier Troupes. Hell, between their speed and psychic power buff that lets you move twice I'm not entirely sure they even need transports to get into combat anymore.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Seriously it's a net benefit all around. Without access points you can just put your guys 3" in front of the transport, then move 6" (or whatever) THEN charge. That's a pretty impressive distance.

It is. For some units. But not for open-topped transports carrying troops that move less than 6".

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Soulfucker posted:

I don't think this is necessarily true. Being a Harlequin player, I've already used their Clown Cars in 8th edition games to soak overwatch fire for the squishier Troupes. Hell, between their speed and psychic power buff that lets you move twice I'm not entirely sure they even need transports to get into combat anymore.

Sounds super cool. For Harlequins.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Is there even a reason to take Chaos marines as troops anymore when you can just use cultists and havocs instead?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

goose willis posted:

Is there even a reason to take Chaos marines as troops anymore when you can just use cultists and havocs instead?

Chaos Marines are really cool? Not every game is about bringing the most powerful lists until all your regular opponents get disgusted with you? :shrug:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Havocs are literally the exact same models but with big guns so they're just as cool if not cooler

Cultists fulfill the meat-shield role for very, very cheap

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Welcome to Chaos Space Marines. Do not take Chaos Space Marines.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Why wouldn't you want at least one unit of baller rear end chaos space marines with roaring bolters and spikes on them?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiteWolf123 posted:

It is. For some units. But not for open-topped transports carrying troops that move less than 6".

Mind you this is remembering poo poo from 5th edition...

A Battlewagon used to move 12", deploy 2" (effectively 3"), and then assault 6". 21" assault range. Add d6" with a WAAAGH!

Now Orks deploy within 3" of a Battlewagon, move 5", and then assault 2d6". 10" to 20" assault range, average of 15". Add d6" with a Warboss nearby.

So at least for Orks it's definitely reduced.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

It made sense before when you had Traitor Legions and you could just do an Alpha Legion list with pretty much your entire army of marines, chosen, and cultists infiltrating

Now they're probably the single blandest unit in the game because you just take the most generic unit (a tactical squad) and then remove every single thing that makes it remotely interesting or colorful and it's just a blob of S4/T4 with 3+ saves and no personality

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

JBP posted:

Why wouldn't you want at least one unit of baller rear end chaos space marines with roaring bolters and spikes on them?

You can do the exact same thing with a 10-man havoc squad which is identical in every way to a generic 10-man Chaos marine squad except they can take double the amount of big guns so why would you pick the generic squad?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

goose willis posted:

You can do the exact same thing with a 10-man havoc squad which is identical in every way to a generic 10-man Chaos marine squad except they can take double the amount of big guns so why would you pick the generic squad?

Are havoc squads troops?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

No but that's why you'd take the cultists to do the objective-humping which they do much better than a 10-man marine squad for way less points

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I understand that, but I like chaos space marine armies. I'd take them because I like them.

ALSO:

The ~*flavour*~ will come in when they release the main codex books, is that correct? Like we can expect Chaos to get some more interesting psychic powers and poo poo when they release a Death Guard codex or what have you?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Oh they loving better

If they don't I'm going to produce so much angry ranting I'll be able to fill several death threads up with nothing but my own seething rage

Like I understand that at the moment everything is generic to keep everything on a balanced playing field as they develop the proper intricacies of 8th edition but if it turns out that it's just gonna be the Imperium getting all the focus as usual while Chaos just gets the scraps in the form of inefficient unappealing analogs I am going to blow my poo poo so hard

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Been working on this most of the day. Deathspitters and wings are magnetized, but I can't imagine I'll be changing those out too often.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Master Twig posted:

Been working on this most of the day. Deathspitters and wings are magnetized, but I can't imagine I'll be changing those out too often.

What is that? I am not familiar with the names of most big Tyranid monsters

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A Battlewagon used to move 12", deploy 2" (effectively 3"), and then assault 6". 21" assault range. Add d6" with a WAAAGH!

Now Orks deploy within 3" of a Battlewagon, move 5", and then assault 2d6". 10" to 20" assault range, average of 15". Add d6" with a Warboss nearby.

This is what I've been observing. Granted, assault is still greatly improved over 6th and 7th ...I guess I just wanted to have my cake and eat it too.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

goose willis posted:

Oh they loving better

If they don't I'm going to produce so much angry ranting I'll be able to fill several death threads up with nothing but my own seething rage

Like I understand that at the moment everything is generic to keep everything on a balanced playing field as they develop the proper intricacies of 8th edition but if it turns out that it's just gonna be the Imperium getting all the focus as usual while Chaos just gets the scraps in the form of inefficient unappealing analogs I am going to blow my poo poo so hard

You take Chaos Space Marines because they are troops with a higher Ld and armor save than cultists and rapid firing bolters are really good in this edition. I don't think they're as bad as they were in 7th, or as bad as you're making them out to be. Havoc squads are great for pouring out Autocannon shots, but they get real poo poo once they start moving.

goose willis posted:

It's loving cool, is what it is

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I am so stoked to see the new traitor legion whatever they do in the future, I'll tide myself over with the pile of death guard I have in the mean time.

I am not sure if that blight drone thing in the box is all that good, but I have 3 of them now and I plan on running them :D

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I completely agree. My CSM army still had two basic units of chaos marines because they're rad as gently caress. Unfortunately, 8th edition managed to make them even lamer and they can't take bolter, bolt pistol, and chainsword anymore. Not even Chosen can.

Grey Hunters though? Of course they can.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Pendent posted:

I tried this but it looked a bit off to me. I feel like the bigmar heads are very slightly larger than the old marine heads.

Really want to see some examples of this. Especially beakies!

My goal when I got back into the hobby was to do an old school Crimson Fist army. All beakies and spikey shoulder pads. Hoping I can make it work with Primaris. I know badcast was talking about trying Raven Guard Primaris with beakie helmets. Looking forward to seeing if someone can make it work.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

goose willis posted:

That is a Hive Tyrant. Also known as the unit that single handedly carried Tyranids through the last edition.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Safety Factor posted:

Not even Chosen can.

Grey Hunters though? Of course they can.

Yeah, this is definitely dumb. I think that regular Joe CSM not getting both is whatever, but not allowing 10000 year combat veterans to take both? Madness.

Guess I might need to make some Noise Marines with chainswords. They are the same points as non upgraded Chosen, so an assault unit that gets three attacks a guy might be good for the points in my Emperor's Children.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Keep in mind this is tempered by the fact that transports are tougher and don't kill as many guys when they do explode. Though each model is "slain" so high armor multiwound models (aka meganobs) are a bit more vulnerable in decent numbers.

On a tyranid note, gently caress you all of my devourers on my monsters are deathspitters now.

EDIT: Anyone know of any good models for Crusaders (aka power weapon + storm shield)? The fact that they have acts of faith should make them tough little buggers in combat.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 19, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, this is definitely dumb. I think that regular Joe CSM not getting both is whatever, but not allowing 10000 year combat veterans to take both? Madness.

Guess I might need to make some Noise Marines with chainswords. They are the same points as non upgraded Chosen, so an assault unit that gets three attacks a guy might be good for the points in my Emperor's Children.

I like the extra attacks for EC. I used to play Wolves against my friend's chaos marines and it was an exercise in frustration for him because my dudes were better at literally everything they did. He'd get berserkers up the field into cc (after half getting shot to hell) and they'd just get mauled by counter attacking grey hunters or a wave of cheap blood claws while long fangs obliterated support armour. I think he won once against me and half the games I didn't really think too hard or try, my units were simply the same price, but better in nearly every way.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Really want to see some examples of this. Especially beakies!

My goal when I got back into the hobby was to do an old school Crimson Fist army. All beakies and spikey shoulder pads. Hoping I can make it work with Primaris. I know badcast was talking about trying Raven Guard Primaris with beakie helmets. Looking forward to seeing if someone can make it work.

Here's the only head swap I went through with. It's okish, but still looks a little off to me. I just really didn't like the rebreather head so still thought this was better.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Pendent posted:

Here's the only head swap I went through with. It's okish, but still looks a little off to me. I just really didn't like the rebreather head so still thought this was better.

Looks good to me!

I figure the gorgets are going to be the main issue for beakies. Plus I wasn't sure if the heads were seperate on all of the Primaris models.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Just a couple of HQs, preparing for a light snack.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So... Sisters aren't fairing that well, I don't think. I still have to put them on the table, but my old build (10 sisters, combi-melta, melta, heavy flamer rhino) isn't noticeable cheaper at 220 points and don't do nearly as well. As a generalist unit it worked well, but in the new edition the single heavy flamer wouldn't do as much for the unit against hordes. Might have to replace the heavy flamer with a multi-melta, and run some dominions/retributors with flamers. I've always had them mechanized, but lack of fire points might take a bit to get used to.
Again, faith doesn't scale very well. It's powerful, but I'll have to see. Exorcist is still super random for basically a long range meltagun with less damage. Repentia are still very squishy for their price and have an absolute need to be babysat by a character to boost them.

They lack the zing of some of the other armies.

Though I like the new priests with crusaders. Penitent engines are usable now. Hobopriest with a shotgun is still awesome.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Zuul the Cat posted:

Mostly finished up the first of my Primaris Marines. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. I imagine by the time i paint the last one they'll be perfect.

I need to go back over the cape with black and highlight with dark reaper instead of gray, and I still gotta do his backpack and base.

How'd you do the shoulder emblem?

I'm thinking of using instant mold to quick cast one of my resin pads and use that as a mold for green stuff emblems on the primaris. I actually cut one of the pads off of an intercessor and replaced it with a sculpted pad but no way I'm doing that for all of them.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm excited about penitent engines in this edition.

Trying to decide if it's worth it to put a commissar, officer, and priest with a conscript squad. It would definitely be fun...

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Master Twig posted:

Just a couple of HQs, preparing for a light snack.

How very dare you.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"

LordAba posted:

So... Sisters aren't fairing that well, I don't think.

I've always had them mechanized, but lack of fire points might take a bit to get used to.

The Repressor from the new FW book does that. For 90 points it's a 12 wound rhino with a heavy flamer, storm bolter, a lovely melee ram and 6 fire points.

So much better than a Rhino :I

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Another fight vs my Tyranid opponent.

My list:

My opponent's list:

I forgot to get pictures. But this time, the table was set up with more line of sight blocking terrain and more stuff that couldn't be moved through, like a building in the middle and some hills with sheer cliffs. His big stuff was better able to keep hidden on the way up, but at the same time he didn't have the run of the table and so having so many models led to him choking in a funnel when he committed about 70 models to a relatively small area.

So, on either flank I had a tactical squad. Near the middle was my rhino with one of the plasma cannon squads, contemptor, techmarine, and behind them was my devastator squad up on top of a ruin. Razorback on the left flank, predator and captain on the right flank, terminators and chaplain deep striking.

His trygon and a unit of genestealers deep striked. HIs deployment was fairly symmetrical, each side of the table got a unit of hormagaunts, a unit of termagants in front of them, a unit of termagants behind spread out to make it impossible to deep strike anywhere, and a brood lord. Left flank got 2 carnifexes and right flank got the other, hive tyrant was centralized.

For objectives I drew capture a point, linebreaker, and take a point for two turns (one of the objectives in my opponent's deployment zone).

I moved the rhino up quickly to take the point I needed that was near my deployment, while the other stuff hung back to take max range shots at nids. My shooting wasn't great because of the mission (-1 to shooting over 15 inches) but I killed a good number of stuff. I had my terminators do a turn 1 deep strike to be 12 inches away from the rightmost hormagaunt unit. Between their shooting and some bolter fire from the tac marine squad on that side of the table, they killed 12 of them which meant they couldn't reroll wounds anymore and jam me up as well like they had done previously. My long ranged guns took pot shots at his MCs, didn't do a lot but put a few wounds on carnifexes.

His turn 1, he does way more to my terminators than I expected. Between smite and the termagants and hormagaunts, he kills 3 of them. They're all bunched up in front of a big piece of impassable terrain they have to go around though. He deep strikes the tryong and genestealers onto my right flank, but fails the charge roll with both of them. His horde advances up the table on the left side. He keeps his rearguard of termagants in the back making sure that there's no place on that half of the table that I can deep strike. He gets some points for holding objectives in his deployment zone.

Turn 2, I draw the kill a character objective. I spend 2 CP to discard the objective to hold the point in their backfield, draw an objective to hold the other point in their backfield. Tac squad piles out of the rhino and all my marines start unloading on his poo poo, bolter, heavy bolter, and plasma fire shredding hormagaunts and genestealers. The genestealers on the left had Catalyst though, so not as many as i wanted die, they've still got about 15 models at the end of the shooting phase. Contemptor's multimelta and the razorback's lascannons delete a carnifex for first blood rhino puts its hunter killer into the hive tyrant and then charges into the oncoming tide of hormagaunts along with my contemptor.

My terminators that were surrounded used their teleport beacon to jump back onto my right flank, behind the tac squad that almost got eaten. Together my devastators, tac marines, predator's heavy bolters, and remaining terminators on that side kill 10 genestealers. Predator puts both lascannons into the trygon and gently caress it up. My captain sees an opening, using his jump pack to sprint up the side of the field, unloads storm bolter fire into nearby gaunts, and charges the broodlord. Used a reroll on one of the wounds and that killed it, giving me another VP. He consolidates into the nearby blob of gants. I draw an objective to cast a power or deny the witch, I have no psykers. I have my cataphractii and chaplain deep strike in the middle of my side in front of the oncoming tide of tyranids since there's no way to get behind them with the termagants blocking it.

His turn 2, genestealers charge the rhino and contemptor. His gants on the right fall back from my captain, his tyrant rolls really well and drops my captain to 1 wound with smite and shooting. His right carnifex charges my captain and kills him, the left carnifex is sneaking up the side behind buildings. The tac squad on the right gets charged by the trygon, genrstealers, and remaining hormagaunts there and are wiped out but manage to put another wound on the trygon with overwatch. In the middle, his genestealers swarm over my contemptor and rhino, killing the rhino in 1 turn and putting 4 wounds on the contemptor. He scores VP for killing a vehicle. His termagants that were blocking pushed forward now that they weren't needed, he scores a VP for not having any models in his deployment zone.

Turn 3, my various heavy weapons kill the trygon. I almost failed, but a plasma cannon from downtown on the other side of the field put the last wound in. Since I killed his broodlord he had no more synapse on that side, and it pretty quickly collapses with the genestealers and hormagaunts over there being wiped out by battle shock. Termagants on the left flank take heavy losses from tac marines on that side and are lost to battle shock since he forgot to have them in synapse range. My chaplain and cataphractii both fail easy rolls to get into combat in the middle. My techmarine runs forward from the ruins he's been hanging out in shooting and repairs the contemptor for 3, each turn the contemptor is killing 2 or so genestealers and slowly working his way through them. One of my tanks manages to put a lascannon into the hive tyrant.

His turn 3, his hormagaunts are now starting to wrap around stuff, dragging in one of my tactical squads and the librarian. With the chaplain nearby though a tac squad can kill a ton of gaunts in melee. His tyrant Horrors my devastator squad and kills a few with his gun, and the tyrant and broodlord put smites into my contemptor. The genestealers surge forward and pretty trivially kill my contemptor and techmarine, but by this point they've taken pretty heavy casualties. They pile into my chaplain too, which was a mistake because with 5 wounds and 2+/4++ they don't do a ton to him, and he kills 2 a turn. His flanking carnifex finally comes around and goes into my leftmost tactical squad, doing absolutely nothing and eating a plasma hit for its troubles. His remaining termagant squad come around and charge my backline devastators, dropping them to 3 models.

Turn 4 is just a punching match. My terminators, tac marines, and chaplain start working through the remaining models. There's about 12 gaunts, 10 genestealers, and 10 termagants still in the middle. It's a massacre, rerolling to hit helps the cataphractii so much. Genestealers finish off my chaplain. My tac squad falls back from the carnifex and my heavy weapons shoot it, dropping it to 1 wound. The remaining gants are lost to battleshock, leaving a handful of hormagaunts and genestealers. I think this is the turn I finish the tyrant off with my lascannons.

The last few turns are kind of a blur. His broodlord goes in and starts tearing through poo poo, it and the carnifex almost wipe a tactical squad which then fall back and my guns kill the carnifex. His remaining models start falling back. His broodlord stays on my flank loving things up while the genestealers escape. He's got like an 11 to 4 VP lead because my objectives were all poo poo and his were pretty trivial, so he plays keep away with them until the game ends on turn 6. I would've killed him on turn 7, all that was left was the broodlord with 4 wounds left and 2 genestealers that had a predator and 2 terminators bearing down on them, I still had my razorback (which was almost dead thanks to the carnifex), predator, 2 terminators, 5 cataphractii, 3 devastators, and an untouched tactical squad. Around turn 5 my predator double taps the other carnifex with lascannons and drops it, it had already taken a lascannon hit on turn 1. Game took about 5 hours to play out.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 19, 2017

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Ayn Marx posted:

SRM what's your recipe for realistic black skin? I want to include some black marines in my bigly army

Not SRM, but: I based over the primer with Rhinox Hide, then washed with either Sepia or Fleshtone or whatever they're called, went back over the raised surfaces with Rhinox to brighten them up, then highlighted a slightly lighter brown (some leather color, iirc). It turned out pretty well for GSC Cultists and my Magus. If you want harder lighting that produces a more cartoon\y effect, use a darker wash and a brighter layer rather than a base that's as dark as RH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Man that dark flesh tone looks incredible