Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

It's more of a thermos than a mug; it's got a UI object label like "Dr. Calvino's coffee" or something.

Dumb me took another regular mug in that office and rubbed it all over the scale in confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I apparently bumped it before discovering the puzzle and it fell on the floor and rolled under the whiteboard base and it took me like 40 minutes to find it even though I knew exactly what I was looking for

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dr. Calvino's loving Coffee Thermos

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

I apparently bumped it before discovering the puzzle and it fell on the floor and rolled under the whiteboard base and it took me like 40 minutes to find it even though I knew exactly what I was looking for

Same, I had to look up a youtube to find where it was supposed to be, and it still took me a long time to find it rolling around under the furniture

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

babypolis posted:

Was there something hosed up going with the looking glass technology? Dr Calvino, the guy who invents it, is pretty sketchy. You find multiple people dead in front of looking glass screen and at one point seemingly summon a phantom using one. Theres also that phantom line about "what did you see in the glass?"

The phantom you "summon" is just hanging out in Calvino' office, iirc. It's just the LG turns on suddenly and shows you what's there. If you break through the LG, there's nothing there.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Not sure how far I am into the game. Currently exploring the Arboretum. I've found two really powerful Typhon for the first time: Telepaths and Technopaths.

So far I've been playing the game entirely using "human" neuromods. And mostly "utility" ones at that: leverage, hacking, etc.

However, I feel like I'm not really strong enough to take those things down. Is there a trick to being combat effective without Typhon mods?

I've got like 12 neuromods banked up right now and am waffling with what to spend them on.

Also, what are the effects of Fear? I killed a Weaver. It kept giving me the Fear condition, but I couldn't tell what it was actually doing to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fear just makes your aim jiggle around a bunch, if you chug a liquor from your inventory it'll fix it. Weavers are, as far as I know, the only enemy that inflicts fear. As to fighting the harder enemies without typhon mods, make sure you're using the game's thousand and one types of grenades. Nullwave transmitters and EMP grenades will shut telepaths and technopaths respectively right the hell down, and then all they can do until they recover is their wimpy energy ploot kamehameha things that you can dodge easy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Not sure how far I am into the game. Currently exploring the Arboretum. I've found two really powerful Typhon for the first time: Telepaths and Technopaths.

So far I've been playing the game entirely using "human" neuromods. And mostly "utility" ones at that: leverage, hacking, etc.

However, I feel like I'm not really strong enough to take those things down. Is there a trick to being combat effective without Typhon mods?

I've got like 12 neuromods banked up right now and am waffling with what to spend them on.

Also, what are the effects of Fear? I killed a Weaver. It kept giving me the Fear condition, but I couldn't tell what it was actually doing to me.

I recently beat the game using only human Neuromods, and it's very easy to be effective at combat like that. I'd recommend picking up the ability to further upgrade security weapons; a maxed out shotgun 2-or-3-shots a lot of the common tougher enemy types you'll be seeing.

For Technopaths you'll want to rely on the Disruptor Stun Gun (there's one on the upper level of the Neuromod Division if you don't have one). It does a lot of damage to and stuns them (as well as other technological enemies). If you don't have one you can rely on EMPs and your wrench.

For Telepaths you can just lob a Nullwave Transmitter and then go to town with the shotty.

Also if you haven't already pick up and max out Combat Focus. It's probably the single strongest combat ability in the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are few things better in this game than powersliding up to an enemy in slow motion and blasting them with your shotgun straight into the air. I wish phantoms wore shoes so that I could knock them right out of 'em like cartoon characters.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Genocyber posted:

I recently beat the game using only human Neuromods, and it's very easy to be effective at combat like that. I'd recommend picking up the ability to further upgrade security weapons; a maxed out shotgun 2-or-3-shots a lot of the common tougher enemy types you'll be seeing.

For Technopaths you'll want to rely on the Disruptor Stun Gun (there's one on the upper level of the Neuromod Division if you don't have one). It does a lot of damage to and stuns them (as well as other technological enemies). If you don't have one you can rely on EMPs and your wrench.

For Telepaths you can just lob a Nullwave Transmitter and then go to town with the shotty.

Also if you haven't already pick up and max out Combat Focus. It's probably the single strongest combat ability in the game.

The pistol and shotgun have been my go-to weapons for combat. I find I really didn't like the Q-Beam I picked up early.

I have not actually done the Combat Focus stuff because it wasn't really clear how useful it was. I find I'm not really having much trouble hitting creatures...but I do have trouble dodging their attacks. Will Combat Focus help with that?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Fix this

quote:

And mostly "utility" ones at that: leverage, hacking, etc.

With the gun damage and sneak attack neuromods, a fully upgraded shotgun can one-shot every kind of phantom on hard.

Nullwave transmitters are your friend on almost everything else that's dangerous.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ConfusedUs posted:

The pistol and shotgun have been my go-to weapons for combat. I find I really didn't like the Q-Beam I picked up early.

I have not actually done the Combat Focus stuff because it wasn't really clear how useful it was. I find I'm not really having much trouble hitting creatures...but I do have trouble dodging their attacks. Will Combat Focus help with that?

Very much so. It puts the game in slow motion but you move slightly faster than everything else, which makes dodging attacks much easier. It also gives you a PSI bar but it doesn't count as a typhon ability, so you'll finally have a use for the billion psi hypos you have in your inventory.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Get some upgrades and damage/movement skills in, and you'll see the weapons come into their own. The shotgun is really just a very high damage melee weapon with ammo, the pistol is a semi-auto rifle with high fire rate, the Q-beam is like a sniper rifle but dealing DPS instead of single shots, the stun gun is a terrifying anti-droid weapon.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The stun disruptor is exceptionally good at dealing with Technopaths

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I originally wrote off the stungun for the first half of the game but God drat does it absolutely save your rear end when dealing with technopaths and Dahl's military operators.

Don't neglect it! Also, shove some upgrades in there. Not like weapon upgrade kits are rare anyway.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The ludicrous amount of weapon upgrade kits the game throws at you without fabricating any is one of Prey's biggest strengths. All of my guns should be cool!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The stun gun is great but my god is it annoying to try to use against technopaths before you upgrade the charge speed

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Every enemy in Prey is countered by a grenade of some kind. The game gives you a ton of everything if you explore half of the zones you are in.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Holy poo poo you guys weren't kidding about Combat Focus. I bought all three levels and a couple of movement speed mods.

Now I feel like I'm playing Doom with a side order of Max Payne.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm either retarded or Googling the wrong thing but there is a body outside the station with a jetpack upgrade, right? What's his name so I can track him?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You'll get an audio log with his name once you get to Deep Storage.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm either retarded or Googling the wrong thing but there is a body outside the station with a jetpack upgrade, right? What's his name so I can track him?

Hes below the shuttle around the height of the signs out past the edge of the radiation zone

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Would it be good to grab this game on sale if possible, or is it worth a $60 purchase?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have very strong buyers remorse about paying full price for Neir: Automata and am waiting for Dishonored 2 to go on sale but I have no reservations recommending this for $60. I think it's also still in sale for $40 on PS4 this week.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Bust Rodd posted:

I have very strong buyers remorse about paying full price for Neir: Automata

Same. What a waste that was.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Would it be good to grab this game on sale if possible, or is it worth a $60 purchase?

It's a great game and I'd like to think the more money they make, the more likely a sequel or similar content will get made, but I wonder if we are far enough outside the release window that it doesn't matter. Worth the money anyway.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I have very strong buyers remorse about paying full price for Neir: Automata

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Same. What a waste that was.

:psypop:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm sorry Jack. I'll get a controller at some point and try it again.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You'll get an audio log with his name once you get to Deep Storage.

Maybe I missed it? I think I'm past Deep Storage now, I'm in the zero-g server room area about to grab the self-destruct key.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm sorry Jack. I'll get a controller at some point and try it again.

Do yourself a favor and do just that.
Nier: Automata is seriously one of those few games that you can use the word "art" to describe, unironically.
You won't regret it if you have any modicum of taste.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Weird thing about the dissonance here. N:A and Prey are pretty similar in that the gameplay is not exactly their strong point but the charm lies in how the rest of the game is crafted.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Jack Trades posted:

Nier: Automata is seriously one of those few games that you can use the word "art" to describe, unironically.

I really appreciate Yoko Taro's brand of insanity. I get ultra pissy if a game doesn't play well on KB/M, but yea, I can see it's worth getting a controller for.
But I wish I'd waited a bit because I'm lazy AF and games just sit there.

I'm sorry I invaded your safe space again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CJacobs posted:

so you'll finally have a use for the billion psi hypos you have in your inventory.

Crafting half a billion neuromods?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Jack Trades posted:

:agreed:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'll respectfully disagree. I think Prey's gameplay evolves as the game progresses, you start as a dude with a wrench and taser and by then end of the game you could be a jet-packing pyrokinetic with a shadow-blink and super strength and laser guns. You can meaningfully switch up your approach to every encounter and the entire game is beatable using every play style.

In Neir, I feel like you are literally holding your dash button from plot point to plot point and then executing every single fight in basically exactly the same way start to finish. There is no combo system, every weapon seems equally good at every encounter, and discouraging lock-on is an unforgivably bad design decision.

And then to get to the "good" parts you have to do it all 3 times and change LoL, and when the gameplay DOES change, it's only to make the most annoying and momentum killing aspect of it a way bigger focus. I'll beat Neir this summer probably, but that was my first real case of "Do not always listen to goons, their threshold for artistic masterpiece seems a lot lower than mine and I am way less willing to forgive repetitive gameplay."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also it's plain incorrect to reduce Prey's gameplay to it's combat. I know it's partly a vocabulary problem. We don't have the clearest words for these concepts, but shooting and killing things is a fraction of how you spend your time engaging with the world, and very little of that is passive.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The gameplay in Automata is pretty repetitive but it's not "put the game down" repetitive. Honestly if the two games have to be compared for some reason, I actually felt the same at the end of Prey as I did at the end of Automata. imo Prey falls completely apart right at the very end because you have to traverse back and forth across the entire station multiple times in a very short span, with precisely 0 new areas to see, full of enemies that are more annoying than dangerous and the ones that are dangerous are barely so because you're so powered-up. I did the same thing as I did with Automata, I rushed through it because it was just becoming kinda bothersome.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think anyone enjoyed the closing hour/s of Prey.

The loading times (on consoles) make it especially atrocious.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The ending could have used maybe one more new enemy type, as it is the endless respawning armored laser drones segment seems like the product of a concussion left untreated compared to the rest of the game.

It's been said many times but getting to fight another neuromodded human would have been loving sweet and it feels like a really glaring absence from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was expecting a special forces unit a la Half Life. But that would've involved a whole bunch of new AI work and animations.