Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Praga LTL and Pzw 39

Queue: T-60 production in difficult years, T-60 tanks produced at Stalingrad, big guns for the KV-1, 122 mm howitzer for the T-34 and KV, A1E1 Independent, PzI Ausf. B, PzI Ausf. C, PzI Ausf. F, Renault FT, Maus in the USSR, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, M4A2(76)W, PzII Ausf. a though b, PzII Ausf. c through C, PzII Ausf. D through E, PzII Ausf. F, PzII trials in the USSR, Field modifications to American tanks, Israeli improvised armoured cars, Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR, Polish 37 mm anti-tank gun, T-37 with ShKAS, Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38, SG-122, Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis, 45 mm M-42 gun, SU-76 prototype, ZIK-7 and other light SPG designs, SU-26/T-26-6, SU-122 precursors, SU-122 competitors, Light Tank M5, Tankbuchse 41, PzVII Lowe, Marder II, Tiger #114, Chrysler K, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41, Czechoslovakian post-war prototypes, Praga AH-IV, Chaffee trials in the USSR, KV-1S, KV-13, s.FH. 18, Strv 81 and Strv 101

Available for request:

:911:

:britain:
Matilda

:ussr:

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv m/41

:poland:

:france:

:godwin:

:eurovision:

:jewish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Danann posted:

My experience in Steel Division, for what it's worth, is that the German cats are obnoxious to deal with especially if properly supported and on the defense. It's easier to deal with them as the Commonwealth divisions (but then you'll be cursing the existence of the PIAT when the guy using it dumps all his ammo at the target and fails to kill it) except for the King Tiger that always inevitably appears.

Of course for every non-goon skilled player there's three or so wehraboos who drive Panthers into M5 76mm guns and rage quit. And then you get moments like this.

Edit: It doesn't model some stuff like reliability or soldier stamina for the sake of gameplay though so German cats don't breakdown on the game randomly and a single soldier can haul a 17pdr/Flak 88 1km across a field.

Christ nobody cares how a tank is modeled in a video game.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hi guys! Are you going to be under orders for Britain in the near future? Well then, you'll certainly require this informational picture about How to Behave in Britain and not give THE UNITED STATES ARMY a bad name!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltVtnCzg9xw

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trin Tragula posted:

Hi guys! Are you going to be under orders for Britain in the near future? Well then, you'll certainly require this informational picture about How to Behave in Britain and not give THE UNITED STATES ARMY a bad name!

Here's some documentation my grandfather received towards the end of his service on how to behave in polite society again:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

limp_cheese posted:

These are brats. They're basically bratwurst. You soak them in some beer, usually Budweiser or Miller because midwest America, on the stove after they are cooked.

Hi. Midwesterner here to tell you this man knows his poo poo. Only thing I would add is you can also just dump the brats in a pot full of beer and just up and put that on the stove. But the above method is great for tailgates, of which midwesterners - especially Wisconsinites - are pros.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Trin Tragula posted:

25 minutes into this is incredible.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Thanks for doing these, I've been enjoying them. Out of curiosity, how are you able to get your hands on this stuff? It's not every day you meet someone with such a wealth of Russian sources regarding tanks.

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.

EggsAisle posted:

Thanks for doing these, I've been enjoying them. Out of curiosity, how are you able to get your hands on this stuff? It's not every day you meet someone with such a wealth of Russian sources regarding tanks.

I believe these are translations of http://yuripasholok.livejournal.com
He is historian / archive rat employed by Wargaming, which makes the arcade tanks game "World of Tanks". There is a demand for more or less accurately represented tanks in the game, so he provides the raw data which is mangled into pixel tanks.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Maimgara posted:

I believe these are translations of http://yuripasholok.livejournal.com
He is historian / archive rat employed by Wargaming, which makes the arcade tanks game "World of Tanks". There is a demand for more or less accurately represented tanks in the game, so he provides the raw data which is mangled into pixel tanks.

Hmmm how many hp does a tiger have?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Hmmm how many hp does a tiger have?

4 or 5 hit dice, iirc

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Here's some documentation my grandfather received towards the end of his service on how to behave in polite society again:

Lol that's awesome.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Squalid posted:

Lol that's awesome.

You do realize these are very old joke and not official Army papers?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

EggsAisle posted:

The articles I link here are written for Warspot, mostly by Yuri Pasholok, but sometimes there are other authors whose material falls within my area of interest. The other documents come from various sources. Some come from Pasholok's livejournal, which Maimgara linked to, others come from other livejournals (for some reason Russians still cling to LJ) and online repositories. There are quite a few that are surprisingly decent, even though the majority are horrible UX abominations that should never be used by mortal men. My favourite of those would have to be the Soviet occupation force archives, which require Java and only give you the first page of each document. It took me a while to figure out that the converter they use expects me to manually add URL parameters to get more pages.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ensign Expendable posted:

livejournals (for some reason Russians still cling to LJ)

Wait, livejournal still exists?

For a more on topic question: I walked by an updated (I think) Chicago rat prevention sign that now included maintaining bird feeders to be rodent proof. Which made me think--how much did military camps, bases, sieges, etc, care about eradicating excess food and waste to prevent rats? Before germ theory it's still reasonable to discourage vermin but how important was it and how did people do it?

Obviously this varies wildly based on location and era but I'd love to hear examples across the spectrum.

e: I know people weren't complete idiots (well, at least on a comparable level of today) so I'm looking for measures beyond things like don't poo poo in the well.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 19, 2017

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

SimonCat posted:

You do realize these are very old joke and not official Army papers?

I understand the instructions for army approved etiquette when soliciting women for sex make it a bit ambiguous, but yes other than that it's obviously a joke.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Pontius Pilate posted:

e: I know people weren't complete idiots (well, at least on a comparable level of today) so I'm looking for measures beyond things like don't poo poo in the well.

You say this but that idea took a disturbingly long time to catch on.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pontius Pilate posted:

Wait, livejournal still exists?

It does but is largely Russian language now because LJ complied with Russian laws on censoring/reporting LGBT+ blogs, causing a mass exodus of the remaining english language users

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Phanatic posted:

If you told me that they found a Fw: Fw: Fw: type document in fuckin cuneiform I would not bat an eye. Bureaucrats. Bureaucrats never change.

This is kinda grim:

quote:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/06/17/hard-hit-marine-unit-from-vietnam-war-celebrates-50th-reunion.html

In the fall of 1967, The Basic School in Quantico, Virginia, finished training 498 twenty-something Marine second lieutenants. By the end of the year, nearly all were in Vietnam.

Before Christmas, the first of them was killed in action: 2nd Lt. Michael Ruane, of Mike Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines, on Dec. 18, 1967. The TBS class that began in June 1967 (TBS 6/67) would have a casualty rate of more than 50 percent -- the highest of any Marine officer class during the Vietnam War.

Wonder how many NVA junior officer cadres hit 50% casualties.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 19, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GotLag posted:

You say this but that idea took a disturbingly long time to catch on.

I know some people in the peace corps and apparently there are parts of the world where they still haven't completely figured that out

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is a picture of a Philippine Army armored vehicle operating in Marawi, Mindanao against the militant Maute Group

As far as I know, they're Cadillac Gage Commando V-150s.

My question is, are those wooden planks actually going to be effective against anti-tank ordnance? I assume armored cars are already supposed to be fairly resistant against small arms fire, and this feels very "sandbags and concrete on a Sherman" to me, but what do I know.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a picture of a Philippine Army armored vehicle operating in Marawi, Mindanao against the militant Maute Group

As far as I know, they're Cadillac Gage Commando V-150s.

My question is, are those wooden planks actually going to be effective against anti-tank ordnance? I assume armored cars are already supposed to be fairly resistant against small arms fire, and this feels very "sandbags and concrete on a Sherman" to me, but what do I know.
Half-assed guess would be surprisingly effective, but only because they amount to spaced armor, and any decent AT ordnance would still wreck their day.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
No, it won't do anything versus any real AT ordnance, be it HEAT or kinetic, wood is not enough to disturb AT projectiles meaningfully and there is no space behind it for the projectile to rotate/disperse in, so it won't work as spaced armor.
It may help versus small arms, as rifle caliber machineguns can threaten something like the V-150 from the side if loaded with AP rounds, at least at close range.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ainsley McTree posted:

I know some people in the peace corps and apparently there are parts of the world where they still haven't completely figured that out

Germany's vaunted technological know-how didn't extend to field latrines, at least in north Africa.

quote:

In 1944 Colonel H. S. Gear, an assistant director of hygiene in the Middle East, claimed in the British Medical Journal that enemy defensive localities were: "obvious from the amount of faeces lying on the sufrace of the ground . . . This contempt for hygiene became such a menace to the enemy as to affect from 40 to 50 percent of his front-line troops, as interrogation of captured medical officers revealed."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Normal rifle rounds blast through a 2x4 as if it wasn't there. Id be shocked if it slowed down AP enough to matter

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Normal rifle rounds blast through a 2x4 as if it wasn't there. Id be shocked if it slowed down AP enough to matter

HEAT penetration falls off with the standoff distance being wrong, but I think most HEAT rounds actually detonate later than optimum because the contactor with the fuse on the end of it would be impractically long if they were to detonate at the optimum distance, so to the extent a 2x4 set off a HEAT round early it might enhance penetration.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

GotLag posted:

Germany's vaunted technological know-how didn't extend to field latrines, at least in north Africa.

That would explain why that guy whose diary was posted earlier was sick all the drat time.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah it's not going to be a massive help but light armor is only marginally vulnerable to AP rifle rounds, so the little bit of energy lost in the wood layer may very well make the difference, especially if it can start stripping the lead jacket over the AP core.

Phanatic posted:

HEAT penetration falls off with the standoff distance being wrong, but I think most HEAT rounds actually detonate later than optimum because the contactor with the fuse on the end of it would be impractically long if they were to detonate at the optimum distance, so to the extent a 2x4 set off a HEAT round early it might enhance penetration.

Yeah modern HEAT rounds have optimal standoff distances on the order of one meter or more, just detonating it further does more harm than good. But then again spaced armor isn't just about distance, it's about perturbating the projectile and then letting it have the space and time to dissipate/rotate before you hit the main armor. No such component here.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

quote:

German sources also indicate that their sanitary services were in a state of disarray due to the lack of co-operation between medical personnel and the officers of the armoured divisions, who regarded sanitary matters as beneath them.
:ms:

What was it about the Axis that made them so hopeless at dealing with inter-service rivalry? My impression is that none of the Allied nations suffered anywhere near as badly from it.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 19, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The PzIII actually had a pretty nice padded poop hole. I guess the trick is to not use it while you're still at the base.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ensign Expendable posted:

The PzIII actually had a pretty nice padded poop hole. I guess the trick is to not use it while you're still at the base.

Like those old-fashioned railway carriages with the signs saying "don't poo poo while the train is at a station"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GotLag posted:

What was it about the Axis that made them so hopeless at dealing with inter-service rivalry? My impression is that none of the Allied nations suffered anywhere near as badly from it.

Short version? Political leaders who carved out services as their own fiefdoms and needed their pet branch to be covered in glory or not take losses or get the bestest equipment or whatever due to political concerns.

GotLag posted:

Like those old-fashioned railway carriages with the signs saying "don't poo poo while the train is at a station"

gently caress d fashioned, I've ridden in ones like that in the last ten years.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
scientists uncover a soldier's request for booze from 2,600 years ago
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/science/send-more-wine-pottery-archaeology.html?smid=tw-nytimesscience&smtyp=cur&_r=0

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I'm writing an essay on public criticism (or really lack thereof) of the US military and while sifting through news articles looking for quotes, I opened this page and started reading it without looking very closely at the header. After struggling through the first paragraph and literally saying out loud "what the gently caress is this?" I looked at the date.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Well? Did they??

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Out of curiosity, how much do we know about warfare in Oceania pre-European contact? Are there any books you guys could point me towards? I am intrigued since most wargames I know tend to skip over the region (I was surprised when Fields of Glory added a Maori/Hawaiian army list), and Wikipedia doesn't have much.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

GotLag posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Short version? Political leaders who carved out services as their own fiefdoms and needed their pet branch to be covered in glory or not take losses or get the bestest equipment or whatever due to political concerns.

What he said.

Somebody wise in this thread quipped "the British and the Americans cooperated more closely than the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe" and it is true. Cooperation is a difficult thing when it has to be imposed from above instead of enmeshed in everything you do.

Today at the library I scored a interesting discard: Guadalcanal by Richard B. Frank. Please tell me if it is awful, but it has an endorsement from Tom Clancy on the back cover, so I assume it is cool.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

Wonder how many NVA junior officer cadres hit 50% casualties.

If I had to take a guess, all of them. Americans talking about how awful the Vietnam war are certainly correct because it was a terrible experience, but try checking things out from the other side.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Ok, so this might be a bit of a controversial question, but what was the extent of Polish cooperation in the Holocaust? Most other countries had at least some of their population that were complicit in helping the Germans carry out the Holocaust, but Poland has built up this huge reputation as resisting it. Is this true?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

GotLag posted:

Well, the certainly had opinions about excrement and executive officers:

"The General inspecting the trenches
Exclaimed with a horrified shout
'I refuse to command a division
Which leaves its excreta about.'

But nobody took any notice
No one was prepared to refute,
That the presence of poo poo was congenial
Compared to the presence of Shute.

And certain responsible critics
Made haste to reply to his words
Observing that his staff advisors
Consisted entirely of turds.

For poo poo may be shot at odd corners
And paper supplied there to suit,
But a poo poo would be shot without mourners
If somebody shot that poo poo Shute."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Ok, so this might be a bit of a controversial question, but what was the extent of Polish cooperation in the Holocaust? Most other countries had at least some of their population that were complicit in helping the Germans carry out the Holocaust, but Poland has built up this huge reputation as resisting it. Is this true?

Kind of, Antisemitism was fairly common in all europe, as it had been throughout history so it was unnavoidable there would be some collaboration. When the Germans invaded the Poles were as culpable as many other countries in helping the Germans identify jews, the railroad workers helped to deport Jews, the Police helped them to round up Jews. I believe that there were also a significant number of events of Poles acting under German orders to form groups that murdered Jews under orders or possibly even spontaneously knowing that they were likely to escape punishment or even win the favour of the German occcupiers, ultimately something like 90% of the Jewish population of poland died and that would not have been possible without some measure of collaboration from the locals. However conversely, the Polish resistance was a really large thing, i believe the largest of the WW2 resistance movements and they did specifically try to help Jews escape and had the Zegota committee (Council to aid Jews) as part of it and helped a significant quantity of Jews to escape. The Germans did also formally implement the death penalty for aiding Jews in Poland that i dont think they did anywhere else, certainly not in the west anyway, which to me indicates they viewed Polish attempts to save Jews as more prevalent than they were elsewhere.

They certainly werent enthusiastic collaborators like the Hungarian state was for example, and living under Nazi occupation forced collaboration in rounding up the Jews from every single country that they occupied and as a result nobodys hands are clean on the matter, I would say they were more resistant than most but they could not avoid complicity and it would have been impossible to expect that they would.