Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I was expecting a special forces unit a la Half Life. But that would've involved a whole bunch of new AI work and animations.

I swear I could feel the budget running out at this point. You know they wanted to introduce a whole new enemy type. Instead we didn't even get a pallet swap.

It still worked because the lasers were actually dangerous and finding ways to shut down their respawners was a fun new mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rinkles posted:

I was expecting a special forces unit a la Half Life. But that would've involved a whole bunch of new AI work and animations.

This is what I was expecting when they introduced Dahl. And then it turns out his cleanup crew is crappy 'military' operator bots who are so lovely at their job that Dahl has to actually ask over the intercom for people to come to their execution :effort:

Either way, I feel like the final hour or two is this game's achilles heel and it's a real shame because it is an absolute blast right up until that point.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or showing us Aphex Typhon but no boss fight, or literally having Alex//January kill each other instead of letting you do it or saving one new area for the finale. It's true you can just feel the time and resources running out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bust Rodd posted:

or literally having Alex//January kill each other instead of letting you do it

You can, though?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

The ending could have used maybe one more new enemy type, as it is the endless respawning armored laser drones segment seems like the product of a concussion left untreated compared to the rest of the game.

It's been said many times but getting to fight another neuromodded human would have been loving sweet and it feels like a really glaring absence from the game.

God, it would have been so cool if the final part of the game had intelligent humans. Dunno if it's just cause they came off the heels of the Dishonored games, but it really feels like Prey wants to be a stealth game at times, it's just that none of the enemies are smart (or dangerous) enough for it to be necessary.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Genocyber posted:

God, it would have been so cool if the final part of the game had intelligent humans. Dunno if it's just cause they came off the heels of the Dishonored games, but it really feels like Prey wants to be a stealth game at times, it's just that none of the enemies are smart (or dangerous) enough for it to be necessary.

This was how I felt about Deus Ex (1) after plaything Thief (1). The stealth was serviceable but it wasn't the focus of the game.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Don't know why people are saying the time/money ran out for the ending. Probably much more likely that their vision/execution for it just didn't pan out how they thought it would.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

if you want to believe that they were perfectly funded, the illusion of ease at the end is still just an illusion. you are given just enough to have it taken away, regardless of how you do or feel in those last moments based on the secret place. it was more about decisions and how you deal with the crew...

but then the cat is out of the bag and even that accomplishment is stripped away. that "dream sequence" syndrome that people get mad about. i would say that its more than just the ramp in powerband at the end.

doesnt stop me from restarting again on nightmare just to find more and see what else can happen. the experience is the thing i want more of, not the climax at this point. too bad ss2 did a better job of both with a sense of closure that didnt make you question what you fought to accomplish.

e; also lool the game knows its a game, is the 4th wall an LG screen, what side are we on?!?!

HATECUBE fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 19, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I was fine with the end of the game plot-wise. It's the gameplay stuff they hosed up. Way too much trecking through multiple areas which is killer on console. Those drat loading screens...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

System shock 2 long overstayed its welcome in the last areas and had a terrible ending so that's not exactly the first thing I'd use as an example here

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Genocyber posted:

I was fine with the end of the game plot-wise. It's the gameplay stuff they hosed up. Way too much trecking through multiple areas which is killer on console. Those drat loading screens...

I don't mind the loading screens, but it was kinda disappointing that you've pretty much seen every enemy the game has to offer by the time you hit the Arboretum (besides Dahl's operators). Honestly for the last hour of the game I pretty much just bunny hopped/ran through all the different areas ignoring fights while I did the objectives.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Digirat posted:

System shock 2 long overstayed its welcome in the last areas and had a terrible ending so that's not exactly the first thing I'd use as an example here

tell me what about the climax in ss2 felt like this. how did escaping to the rickenbacker and crawling through the guts of the beast let you down in a way that made you feel like you were never there? lets talk about ss1 where you kind of just wander into the last room and hit a console and its over with no ramp. thats the real linear powerband. no climax, no indication... you just hit 5k RPM and the trip is over.

more to that, half-life (peace be upon him) ends exactly like ss2 but with a tricky bossfight

HATECUBE fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 19, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the black husserl posted:

I swear I could feel the budget running out at this point. You know they wanted to introduce a whole new enemy type. Instead we didn't even get a pallet swap.

It still worked because the lasers were actually dangerous and finding ways to shut down their respawners was a fun new mechanic.
There's too many bits of foreshadowing information hidden around the station for the military operators to have been a budget-driven decision.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HATECUBE posted:

tell me what about the climax in ss2 felt like this. how did escaping to the rickenbacker and crawling through the guts of the beast let you down in a way that made you feel like you were never there? lets talk about ss1 where you kind of just wander into the last room and hit a console and its over with no ramp. thats the real linear powerband. no climax, no indication... you just hit 5k RPM and the trip is over.

I didn't say SS2 had the same problems as prey but a combination of going on for way too long and a terrible end boss + cutscene make it a game I would never bring up as an example of an ending done better than anything else

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Personally I wish more protagonists just said "Nah" and shot the final boss instead of having a 'we're both the same!!' speech and a long drawn out duel.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Personally I wish more protagonists just said "Nah" and shot the final boss instead of having a 'we're both the same!!' speech and a long drawn out duel.

The most heroic "nah" ever.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Huh. I just jumped into Alex's escape pod and left. Then the game just ended. Not even a little story about what happened afterwards. Just Alex saying he's disappointed; but really gently caress that guy.

Judging from the discussion above, I assume this isn't the "real" ending. I guess I should do more story quests!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ConfusedUs posted:

Huh. I just jumped into Alex's escape pod and left. Then the game just ended. Not even a little story about what happened afterwards. Just Alex saying he's disappointed; but really gently caress that guy.

Judging from the discussion above, I assume this isn't the "real" ending. I guess I should do more story quests!

Yes, you should keep playing, and you may look back on what happened in this ending differently

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

That's the bad end.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I just beat the game and apparently I saved all the people? That's cool I guess.

I went full Typhon powers. I farmed as much poo poo as I could to buy up all of the Typhon powers and completed the quest to change the water into psychic juice. By the end of the game I felt like Neo at the end of The Matrix. Nothing could touch me. I would teleport around leaving dummies and hack everything in sight while the enemies moved in slow motion. I didn't even bother with guns. I'd just kite every enemy into a choke and blast them with all my attack powers, then take a few sips from the nearest faucet without any net loss in resources. When the Nightmare appeared I'd kill it and loot it before it hit the ground.

Aside from being harder, is there anything about the game that changes if you take no Typhon powers?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Sanzuo posted:

I just beat the game and apparently I saved all the people? That's cool I guess.

I went full Typhon powers. I farmed as much poo poo as I could to buy up all of the Typhon powers and completed the quest to change the water into psychic juice. By the end of the game I felt like Neo at the end of The Matrix. Nothing could touch me. I would teleport around leaving dummies and hack everything in sight while the enemies moved in slow motion. I didn't even bother with guns. I'd just kite every enemy into a choke and blast them with all my attack powers, then take a few sips from the nearest faucet without any net loss in resources. When the Nightmare appeared I'd kill it and loot it before it hit the ground.

Aside from being harder, is there anything about the game that changes if you take no Typhon powers?

some dialog at the end.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I really liked the whole end segment of the game but that might be largely because I was running on an SSD, and I just blew through it at a breakneck speed using grenades/Q-Beam and just beelined through it. Felt like that's what they intended with the constantly respawning enemies and everything going nuts and all that.

I agree that the biggest issue with the game is that there's just a lack of new stuff on the tail end of the game. I got all the guns early on and was doing a no-neuromod play-through, so things really dragged pretty hard for a decent chunk (Cargo Bay was the worst of it I think). Didn't drag the game down too hard but I wish they had a few more enemy types and maybe a fun super weapon to help keep the second half of the game fresh.

I also liked the end of SS2 for the most part though so :v:

Also I just realized I really want one of those TranStar coffee cups and of course they are sold out :regd09:

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 19, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey is this Nightmare thing supposed to be a joke?

I've had it show up twice now, and both times I just ducked into a hallway too big for it to enter and waited it out.

If I kill it will it come back again? I don't want to waste the ammo.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It's not supposed to be, but it's pretty buggy and not real smart unfortunately.

Yes if you kill it it will come back again later.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The nightmare is a good idea very poorly executed.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

drat, so I guess I should just wait the 2-3 minutes every time it shows up so I'm not wasting resources killing it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Or beat the poo poo out of it instead of cowering like a tiny baby and watch as you are showered in delicious exotic material, ripe and ready to stab into your eye

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bust Rodd posted:

Or showing us Aphex Typhon but no boss fight, or literally having Alex//January kill each other instead of letting you do it
Well when I got to that part I just went "oh poo poo they gonna fight" and blasted January with the stun gun, because blood is still thicker than circuit boards damnit. Alex thanked me and everything. I think it's cool that the game doesn't do it in an overt "HEY HERE'S A DECISION YOU GOTTA MAKE" way, it just throws the situation at you and you have to react with your gut.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ConfusedUs posted:

drat, so I guess I should just wait the 2-3 minutes every time it shows up so I'm not wasting resources killing it.

It takes like 5 shotgun shells to kill if you open with a sneak attack. It's not that big a deal. Throw some grenades at it or something, set it on fire with your brain, whatever you have going on will be fine. I only encountered it 3 times over the course of the game, it's not like it's going to tax your resources enormously.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Rinkles posted:

The nightmare is a good idea very poorly executed.

The nightmare is extremely dangerous, because while you're hiding in a room it can't enter it might clip through a wall while you're not looking and kill you.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The nightmare is extremely dangerous, because while you're hiding in a room it can't enter it might clip through a wall while you're not looking and kill you.

My first encounter with a nightmare was in the elevator. Apparently you're invincible in the elevator but the nightmare could still clip through it, so it just spent 3 minutes harmlessly kicking me around until it disappeared

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nordick posted:

Well when I got to that part I just went "oh poo poo they gonna fight" and blasted January with the stun gun, because blood is still thicker than circuit boards damnit. Alex thanked me and everything. I think it's cool that the game doesn't do it in an overt "HEY HERE'S A DECISION YOU GOTTA MAKE" way, it just throws the situation at you and you have to react with your gut.

Powersliding in at the last second and blasting January halfway across the room with one shot probably made me look like the coolest sibling in the entire world.

ARGUMENT RESOLVED :black101:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I never got to see any of that. The moment I stepped onto the bridge Alex turned red and started running around in circles until the poor bugger got exhausted and passed out.

I just wanted him to get in the escape pod with me

I didn't even know why he was there and the only thing I heard from January was him telling the shuttle to leave without me

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Endgame talk.If you have Dahl prepped to fly the shuttle, can you use Alex's escape pod instead of going to the shuttle and get a good ending?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BobKnob posted:

Endgame talk.If you have Dahl prepped to fly the shuttle, can you use Alex's escape pod instead of going to the shuttle and get a good ending?

No, Alex's escape pod always gives you the non-standard-game-over ending.

The only thing that changes if you do it late is you don't get the "you're giving up?" voice line from him when you sit down iirc

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

BobKnob posted:

Yes, I've done this. It's pretty much identical to taking the shuttle yourself, but as I recall the cinematic shows the escape pod instead of the shuttle.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 20, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CJacobs posted:

No, Alex's escape pod always gives you the non-standard-game-over ending.

The only thing that changes if you do it late is you don't get the "you're giving up?" voice line from him when you sit down iirc

Not always. If you've killed Dahl and started the self-destruct timer, you can flee the station in Alex's escape pod instead and get a separate cinematic for it. Or at least that's what I did, it might give it to you as well if you've started the timer and decide to take Alex's pod instead of Dahl's shuttle but I didn't test that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Huh, I guess I did it too early then. Neat!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

babypolis posted:

Was there something hosed up going with the looking glass technology? Dr Calvino, the guy who invents it, is pretty sketchy. You find multiple people dead in front of looking glass screen and at one point seemingly summon a phantom using one. Theres also that phantom line about "what did you see in the glass?"

There's gotta be something to that. After you're done taking the multiple choice test at the beginning, you get shown a Rorschach test on the computer monitor. At this moment, a mimic seems to spawn from behind the monitor and immediately takes the form of a coffee cup.

Not sure what we're meant to make of that. But my hot take is that even seeing an image of a Typhon is enough to summon one.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Helianthus Annuus posted:

There's gotta be something to that. After you're done taking the multiple choice test at the beginning, you get shown a Rorschach test on the computer monitor. At this moment, a mimic seems to spawn from behind the monitor and immediately takes the form of a coffee cup.

Not sure what we're meant to make of that. But my hot take is that even seeing an image of a Typhon is enough to summon one.

Nah, the mimic just sneaked in from somewhere else in the room. Various audiologs and notes make it clear the station was flush with escaped mimics even before everything went to poo poo.