Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Captain Riker on the USS Titan reflecting on HoloCaptain Archer whilst weighing up some tough decision that's relevant to the story and dropping a few casual hints about Archer's future along the way would've made a great, like, Season 4 opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's the Archer program?

Riker's bondage dungeon.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The kid she's holding is so unnaturally cute I thought it was fake until it blinked.

do you have in utero-vision or?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

do you have in utero-vision or?

"Kid" can also mean "baby goat!" :eng101:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Shaka, when the walls fell.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Kirk, his head between the bosoms.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Captain's log, supplemental

The whole ship has been enraptured by this new holoprogram simulating one of the early Enterprises, this one, the NX-01.

"Picard to Commander LaForge"

"LaForge here, Captain."

"Some of the crew and I have noticed the new holoprogram acting a bit strangely. Could you take a look?"

"I've actually been looking into it already. It appears Reg reprogrammed some of Archer's crew to act like they wanted to have sex with whoever entered the holodeck. I did a few hours of testing, and I think I've isolated the issue. It should be fixed in a few hours."

"Uh, belay that Commander, you already have a busy schedule. Take your time on the repairs. Picard out."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Finally watching Far Beyond the Stars. This is really good, guys.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Jesus, the Babylon 5 curse continues. Today we lost Stephen Furst, aka Vir. :smith:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/876226571358486528

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Sir Lemming posted:

Just heard that FAKE HOLODECK didn't even report about the beautiful speech I made to the Federation. Shran called me and told me he loved it. Never heard from the Vulcans. SAD!
I burst out laughing at work but fortunately the room was almost empty.

Paradoxish posted:

I like Pegasus, but the real mystery is why they bothered to set it in a TNG episode at all. Like, okay, do this poo poo if you really want to, but set it post-TNG so that fat, old Riker isn't so wildly incongruous and so you aren't literally inserting scenes in the middle of an existing episode that doesn't need them. It's terrible decisions all the way down.
Berman and Braga wanted the Enterprise finale also be the modern Trek finale [as it was the end of the 18 straight years of post-TOS trek] so they did it in the most awkward and ham-fisted way possible. I am pretty sure they thought of the "These are the Voyages..." Starship-Enterprise-through-the-years sequence and worked backward.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

KurdtLives posted:

Berman and Braga wanted the Enterprise finale also be the modern Trek finale [as it was the end of the 18 straight years of post-TOS trek] so they did it in the most awkward and ham-fisted way possible. I am pretty sure they thought of the "These are the Voyages..." Starship-Enterprise-through-the-years sequence and worked backward.

The one time on Enterprise that time travel could have been thematically appropriate...

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Today I learned that Thomas Dekker, of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles fame, was also one of Picard's Nexus-babies in Generations. Unfortunately, I found this out by watching Generations.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 18, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Jesus, the Babylon 5 curse continues. Today we lost Stephen Furst, aka Vir. :smith:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/876226571358486528

Has anyone seen Walter Koenig lately?

Because Bester's clearly loving some poo poo up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently Furst died of complications from diabetes.

If you read his IMDB's trivia page... :ohdear:

quote:

Furst publicly credits J. Michael Straczynski's show Babylon 5 (1994) with saving his life, because he is a longtime diabetic whose kidneys failed midway through the show. A fan who loved his portrayal of 'Vir' heard of his health problems and donated a kidney to save him from dialysis and a likely early demise.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It occurs to me that Justice League Unlimited essentially did something very similar to "These Are The Voyages" with its episode "Epilogue", which was almost literally just a Batman (Beyond) episode with a brief Justice League flashback, for similar reasons -- it was going to be the final episode of the entire DC animated "universe" going all the way back to Batman: The Animated Series, so they wanted to do a send-off to the entire meta-franchise. For some reason that one didn't bother me nearly as much (never mind that later on, they ended up getting another season). Some people were bothered by it for other reasons, namely a Bashir-esque retcon, but it didn't give a sense of spitting on the show's grave.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol if you watch that straight to vhs cartoon trash.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Justice League Unlimited may have had the most kickass theme tune ever

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sir Lemming posted:

It occurs to me that Justice League Unlimited essentially did something very similar to "These Are The Voyages" with its episode "Epilogue", which was almost literally just a Batman (Beyond) episode with a brief Justice League flashback, for similar reasons -- it was going to be the final episode of the entire DC animated "universe" going all the way back to Batman: The Animated Series, so they wanted to do a send-off to the entire meta-franchise. For some reason that one didn't bother me nearly as much (never mind that later on, they ended up getting another season). Some people were bothered by it for other reasons, namely a Bashir-esque retcon, but it didn't give a sense of spitting on the show's grave.

I think one thing epilogue had going for it is that it would have been impossible to say goodbye to everything in a satisfying way, so they just focused in on what happens at the end of Batman Beyond, along with the question "who is Bruce Wayne?"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

Justice League Unlimited may have had the most kickass theme tune ever

Unlimited's theme was generic garbage, the original JL theme and intro are vastly superior

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Unlimited's theme was generic garbage, the original JL theme and intro are vastly superior

This is true, but if we're talking about "most kickass theme tune ever," that's Exo Squad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtLePVNzMI8

:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Exo Squad was such an amazing show! I remember rushing home from elementary school so that I could catch it everyday. Does it hold up well at all, or is it just a ridiculous 90s cartoon? Maybe it is better if I don't know :ohdear:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Exo Squad was such an amazing show! I remember rushing home from elementary school so that I could catch it everyday. Does it hold up well at all, or is it just a ridiculous 90s cartoon? Maybe it is better if I don't know :ohdear:

It holds up, for the most part. It's not high art or anything, but it's way better than most of the other poo poo I watched in grade school.

The end of season one blew my mind at about the same time the Floating Continent part of Final Fantasy VI did. The entire human fleet is annihilated in orbit around Earth and the villain conquers Earth. The next season brings in a solution to it that is somehow not random yet cool as hell.

Railing Kill fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 19, 2017

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's you

you're the souless minion of orthodoxy

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's me, I'm the one who thinks Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes has the best cartoon theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbHLEOg5RPo

I have no taste.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dinosaucers had a theme that will melt your face with the power of an 80s hair band.

https://youtu.be/gy7fO2i9y94

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sash! posted:

Dinosaucers had a theme that will melt your face with the power of an 80s hair band.

https://youtu.be/gy7fO2i9y94

I fuckin loved that poo poo as a kid.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
MASK's theme is 80's as hell, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z1yLO9C-Q

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pfft, none of these themes have a bona fide guitar solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyukifAmPNo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

These are all toy commercial shows.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm sensing arglebargle is.... grumpy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've been known to put on YouTube compilations of cartoon theme songs on long drives. It rocks.

MASK is probably my most nostalgic after Disney Afternoon stuff.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Little-kid me from 1986 wants to high-five you.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I bought an action figure of Mutated Tom Paris and his salamander babies on ebay, so really you can't say that Star Trek doesn't also sell toys.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, but Star Trek was not created for the sole purpose of marketing cheap cra.....DAMNIT, GENE!!!

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 19, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Truly, the 80s marked the beginning of the end.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

You'll find that there were no Dinosaucers toys.

Except in Brazil for some reason.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Although if we're talking 80s toy vehicle TV, the god-emperor is Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.

J. Michael Straczynski sat down and had Robocop and Terminator make sweet, tender love. Which I might remind you is a children's show.

I don't know either, but was a hell of a thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M678PVOf5F0

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

McSpanky posted:

Pfft, none of these themes have a bona fide guitar solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyukifAmPNo

Haha, this one is pretty much Space Stallions.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sash! posted:

Although if we're talking 80s toy vehicle TV, the god-emperor is Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.

J. Michael Straczynski sat down and had Robocop and Terminator make sweet, tender love. Which I might remind you is a children's show.

I don't know either, but was a hell of a thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M678PVOf5F0

That was pretty much the opening to season 1 of B5, so I can see it.

"Together they form the most powerful fighting force in Earth's history, the last, best hope for peace. Their name: Captain Power And The Soldiers Of The Future!"

FAKE EDIT - Oh poo poo, "developed by Marc Scott Zicree", what the hell

REAL EDIT - Okay, now I want to see this poo poo, thanks a lot. It's like a serialized 90s sci-fi series trapped in an 80s kids' show body.

After The War fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

McSpanky posted:

COME THIS JULY MAY

COME WHAT MAY

Does anyone have this video? The world needs to know what will COME THIS MAY, COME WHAT MAY.