Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SRQ posted:

your descriptions of how you make those made me realize just how loving complex modern graphics is
like i guess trying to visually simulate reality means you need a doctorate in light source analysis and rock erosion with reflection analysis as a minor

i might break down what ive actually done there as an exercise for myself for rodtronics.tumblr.com and copy/paste it here. i'll probably surprise myself

ive been loving around with 3d software since my amiga 500 for fucks sake, so a lot of it is one skill built on top of another. no one thing i am doing is particularly good and I have no skill in 3d modelling for example.. i have always been a settings fiddler rather than have artisitc talent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I name my black mages Kaga in honour of Iron Chef

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

i might break down what ive actually done there as an exercise for myself for rodtronics.tumblr.com and copy/paste it here. i'll probably surprise myself

ive been loving around with 3d software since my amiga 500 for fucks sake, so a lot of it is one skill built on top of another. no one thing i am doing is particularly good and I have no skill in 3d modelling for example.. i have always been a settings fiddler rather than have artisitc talent

the process involved in these pictures. broken down:

the world machine mountains.

world machine is its own software, had to find a base shape that was a valley, apply a filter to make it plataeu a bit, then an erosion filter to create the erosions. export the height map of the hills and a mask map of the flow of the erosions. relatively simple but a lot of playing with the settings to get it look how I wanted.

the head is from a free set of 3d scanned models of the louve. they are a combination of the model and a bitmap image that gives the face the detail.

these are the external items, everything else was made in blender itself

the hills were imported, and a displacement modifier applied to a subdivided plane (which subdidives more on renders to make renders nice but in-blender easy on processor). materials applied to this plane, using the flow mask to blend between a sandy diffuse shader for the rock and a white diffuse shader for the flow. I tried more complex things here but I thought those worked best.

the head has a glossy shader on it.

the rodtronics text is more complex than initially imagined. it’s a bezier curve of the text, which has a tube applied to it. I don’t know the proper way to describe that. the shader is a self emitting one, and the colour is derived from some coordinates that give a -1 to 1 spread from left to right and that references a colour ramp. the intensity is quite high

the room was a simple box shape that I subdivided and then using a proportional editing mode I made it messy, then appled a re-meshing filter that made it into blocks. it then has a modifier that bevels between the blocks and applies a different material to the bevel/border part. the shaders are identical between both parts there, only the inner has a rougher setting on the glossiness. ive used this trick for many things, an emissive shader on the thin border makes a neat grid

the scene lighting is a mod called pro lighting skies, I use the demo, and its just a few very easy to set up hihg dynamic range image based lightings, which are by far the best way to get good lighting in a render. lamps and area lights are ok but for something outdoors nothing compared. I just rotated it so the morning sun was on the mountain with the shadow of another mountain there too

there is also another fundamental mod to blender (I say mods, I should say plugins) called filmic blender and its absolutely essential to getting anything to look good, its just a colour management plugin that takes the raw render data and nicely fits it into the viewing dynamic range. doing things like desaturating very high values. blender looks horrible without it, and it means you can get away with just lighting a scene like you think you should be able to

the camera has a shorter field of view too

the render itself is cpu rendered, coz on ati cards the GPU render doesnt do the sky, and 50 samples per pixel and each sample can have up to 1024 light bounces

then the post processing

applying two glare filters, one a simple bloom and one a glare, with different thresholds and blends to taste, and then the final image screened with a image of film grain to add a touch of grain and raise the black point

so much fiddling

now that I write it it doesnt seem so bad :welp:

e: more fuckins. disapoint

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 18, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Moist von Lipwig posted:

i was doing particle system / beat detection stuff in after effects and it gave me no end of trouble uploading it to the tubes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJaDbx-y6g

i ended up kinda getting it to work but it had to be much, much slower than I wanted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgprwU00VHU

e: i was trying to imitate the "rushing" feeling that comes from doing dmt

these are very cool but yeah, no surprise youtube messed those up, there's tons going on there in terms of constant visual change across the entire image and youtube format is designed so it'll still work on bad smartphones with like an 8 megabit internet connection at 1080p

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010

Mild Oats posted:

i worked on this (plz don't doxx me i'm no one important)

there's more rad poo poo coming out every week for the next month

please like and susbscribe

actually, don't watch it on youtube, the video quality is poo poo. watch it on steam because the already marginal video bitrate at least doesn't get processed a second time

http://store.steampowered.com/app/633030/

u can buy dlc that includes downloadable video at double the bitrate with 5.1 surround mix, vfx assets, scripts, concept art, all that poo poo

i was going to do an a/t or thread in CineD but i've been too busy dealing with the new stuff coming out (i'm also scared of summoning smg)

the writing and narration is just terrible. tbh the shallowness of the story didn't hold my attention for more than 5 mins. art and animation is amazing though but i wouldn't expect anything less from blomkamp. but he really needs someone else to produce his scripts/

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ugh i loving hate morning commutes

nice mix table

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

i was doing particle system / beat detection stuff in after effects and it gave me no end of trouble uploading it to the tubes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJaDbx-y6g

i ended up kinda getting it to work but it had to be much, much slower than I wanted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgprwU00VHU

e: i was trying to imitate the "rushing" feeling that comes from doing dmt

i would ike to learn how to do this, rather than writing my own engine from teh ground up like I wanted to when I was 14 and learning opengl

beat detection and particle systems in affter effects, you say?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Darkpenguin posted:

I keep threatening to design one that's just a locked safe in the center of an empty room with a big countdown timer on the wall. Solve that, assholes.

the aristocrats!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/CraigyFerg/status/876539108620996608

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

i would ike to learn how to do this, rather than writing my own engine from teh ground up like I wanted to when I was 14 and learning opengl

beat detection and particle systems in affter effects, you say?

heck yes, let the hell nerds do the hard yards and skip straight to the good poo poo. that's why i loved unreal engine 4 so much

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol

fart med blart

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jag gillar fartens tjusning

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm the fdd light

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

im the robot testicle

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
http://i.imgur.com/700PRaE.gifv

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

kierrie posted:

the writing and narration is just terrible. tbh the shallowness of the story didn't hold my attention for more than 5 mins. art and animation is amazing though but i wouldn't expect anything less from blomkamp. but he really needs someone else to produce his scripts/

I thought it was some really good worldbuilding.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

love that boy

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

the aftermath of dildowar 3

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jesus christ i laughed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
better than a lot of other last moments tbh

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

this will probably be useful at some point

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

the wife shaggarestic

https://twitter.com/dsmacleod/status/875111576327643136

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

The dead raccoon was retrieved by Borch’s dad, who packed it into a Taste of the Wild dog food bag and handed it over to the Maine Warden Service.

it's the little details that make a good article into a great one

Sophian
Jun 16, 2007
I'm nothing.

Anaconda Rifle posted:

I thought it was some really good worldbuilding.

I liked it too. Maybe dialogue was off a little in spots but the complete brutality of the world and the political subtext more than made up for that.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

you could just have a picture of black comic sans text on a white background that says 'dad' and you'd have the same effect

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
well today's the day for it!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

DrPossum posted:

you could just have a picture of black comic sans text on a white background that says 'dad' and you'd have the same effect

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sophian posted:

I liked it too. Maybe dialogue was off a little in spots but the complete brutality of the world and the political subtext more than made up for that.

is this post some kind of 7th-level irony? the "story" in that video was just every grim-dark action movie cliche run through a blender. it felt like more of a trailer or a highlight reel than a "short film"

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
https://i.imgur.com/vSnygsV.gifv

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 19, 2017

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ride or die

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe