Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Pleads posted:

Chalk up another stupid death to "I thought it was on auto"!

Horrible.

Eventually you'll be conditioned to just hitting the button whenever you pick up any gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'd deliberately put it on single shot to plink at people long-range (silenced UMP with 4x). Then some fucko suddenly appeared next to me at a fence opening. :smith:

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Echoing the sentiments that this shiz needs a training mode...or at least a firing range with moving targets.

god I'm terrible

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Finally managed a round with four kills. Could have been more, but I didn't land enough shots on the fifth guy before he killed me. Too much armor.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Pleads posted:

I'd deliberately put it on single shot to plink at people long-range (silenced UMP with 4x). Then some fucko suddenly appeared next to me at a fence opening. :smith:

Sometimes I have it on auto but it only shoots one bullet when I hold down the mouse button. I've died a couple of times, and verified I was on auto. Not sure what that is about or if anyone else has experienced it.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

Hamelekim posted:

Sometimes I have it on auto but it only shoots one bullet when I hold down the mouse button. I've died a couple of times, and verified I was on auto. Not sure what that is about or if anyone else has experienced it.

I've had that happen too. I go on auto automatically every time and only switch to single when needed for long ante shots. Had it a couple times now once with a SCAR and once with a UMP.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

CMvan46 posted:

I've had that happen too. I go on auto automatically every time and only switch to single when needed for long ante shots. Had it a couple times now once with a SCAR and once with a UMP.

Same. Definitely had it happen. Although once, I thought it was happening, because I wasn't hearing the gun firing full auto. I watched my recording afterward, and saw the ammo in the mag rapidly going down, but no audio of it firing. So that could also be happening.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Only been playing for 2 days, but I'm noticing a distinct correlation between finding a 4x scope or better and how well I do in the long term.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

McKilligan posted:

Only been playing for 2 days, but I'm noticing a distinct correlation between finding a 4x scope or better and how well I do in the long term.

Optics are extremely important once you're traveling and have less control over your engagement distance.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Maluco Marinero posted:

Optics are extremely important once you're traveling and have less control over your engagement distance.

It's why binoculars would be a godsend for this game; that way if you have a suppressed weapon but no sights (happens all too often) you can have a spotter call out your shots.

To be honest that was one of the highlights of DayZ, using the rangefinder to spot for your AS-50 sniper to murder a dude from a click away.

Well, that and crash helicopters full of goons.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Maluco Marinero posted:

If I survive my first encounter with another duo (I usually play with my friend), the odds are pretty good that I'll get a decent scope off of one of the corpses. The worst situation for me is to not have any long-range optics once half the population is dead and the circle is getting small, and there's a couple fields to sprint through to get to safety. Nothing makes you feel quite so helpless.

That said, I got my first crossbow kill this weekend! Feels drat good.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Just got this game. Its tense and I suck rear end. Enjoying so far!

First game made it 28 but didn't kill anyone. Was about to finally kill someone I got the drop on, but got ran over by a jeep. Second game I was punched to death in 30 seconds. Good time so far.

The only downside is that the following two games resulted in dropping due to a connection error. Is this something others run into frequently?

Edit: drat. That's three games in a row ending on "Client not responding."

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 19, 2017

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

fishing with the fam posted:

First game made it 28 but didn't kill anyone. Was about to finally kill someone I got the drop on, but got ran over by a jeep. Second game I was punched to death in 30 seconds. Good time so far.

The only downside is that the following two games resulted in dropping due to a connection error. Is this something others run into frequently?

Something is going on this weekend with their servers. It hasn't been this bad in the 128 hours I've been playing the game.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

TracerBullet posted:

Echoing the sentiments that this shiz needs a training mode...or at least a firing range with moving targets.

god I'm terrible

Your training is landing on the school or some hot area

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah could anyone let the thread know when they sort the servers out, it's unplayable for me right now and I'm getting the same error someone posted above

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

benzine posted:

Train as you fight. rear end under fire, enemies loving everywhere :bustem:

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

fishing with the fam posted:

Edit: drat. That's three games in a row ending on "Client not responding."

Yeah this crash is a new thing and happening to everyone apparently. I'm going to check back tomorrow to see if it's fixed.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah but Big Streamer is withholding all the training custom servers from us, the needy masses!

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Iodised QQ posted:

Yeah could anyone let the thread know when they sort the servers out, it's unplayable for me right now and I'm getting the same error someone posted above

Just keep an eye on the playerunknown Twitter.

harskarenjag
Mar 11, 2008

benzine posted:

Yep. I've slowly gone from having just me playing this game, to now all 6 of my close friends with gaming PC's playing. The first 10 or so times we play I guide us in to the hottest areas possible to get them familiar with tab + drag and drop and basic game mechanics. They're developing quite well.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Dang it. I picked a terrible day to start playing this then.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm getting crashes all of the sudden after having no problems until now. Every match I get a "bad image" error dialog box on the plane and then a crash about 60 seconds after I land that says "client not responding". Has anyone else run into this?

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Duckaerobics posted:

I'm getting crashes all of the sudden after having no problems until now. Every match I get a "bad image" error dialog box on the plane and then a crash about 60 seconds after I land that says "client not responding". Has anyone else run into this?

I mean you could at least read the last page of posts.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
It doesn't seem to happen on the South America servers, I played a game on those without the crash.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That's what I get for skimming the thread and thinking I was caught up. I should have just checked to see if the streamers were playing. I thought it was just me because the games were still filling up like normal.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

It doesn't seem to happen on the South America servers, I played a game on those without the crash.

twitter says it's fixed now

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Scrub here: I'm good enough at not being dumb to consistently end up around the top 20 or 10 but not good enough to not be brutally merked by players much better than me once I get there. How do I Get Good

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

sum posted:

Scrub here: I'm good enough at not being dumb to consistently end up around the top 20 or 10 but not good enough to not be brutally merked by players much better than me once I get there. How do I Get Good

how are you approaching the circle at 10-20

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'd say it depends on what you think your lacking in, but if you want to improve your gunplay I'd suggest to not worry about were you place sometimes and just be really aggressive. Drop someplace with lots of people or get a car and drive around looking for fights. Other than that I think the biggest thing at the end of a round is staying ahead of the circle and just being really aware of your surroundings.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Verviticus posted:

if the answer is not "I'm already in it", wrong answer

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Desyncs and server issues are still a major problem, so here is some fog and snow.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Verviticus posted:

usually on foot from whatever direction I think the fewest amount of people are coming from, not straying too far from the rim

The Lowdog
Dec 14, 2012
Update on the server issues from twitter:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just had my first duo win! I've now officially had a win in every mode.

My friend and I ended up landing in Severny completely uncontested. We were able to grab decent gear and I had a fully outfitted SCAR with everything but a scope. A dude driving his buggy through was kind enough to supply that for me :)

The circle ended up falling on the hill just next to the gun range by Severny. We ended up grabbing a jeep and hauling rear end up one side of the mountain to a gently caress boi shack, fragging the camper out of it, then heading to the other side for the final circle. Two more teamfights later, and we had our dinner.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
You know, I'd care more if you know everyone else didn't also have 3rd person.

The Lowdog
Dec 14, 2012

Croccers posted:

You know, I'd care more if you know everyone else didn't also have 3rd person.

I thought only streamers with >5000 subs could go third person.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
All damage should be reduced by half to reduce the instances of getting killed in one second once you're spotted.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

qkkl posted:

All damage should be reduced by half to reduce the instances of getting killed in one second once you're spotted.

this is only true is you stand still like an idiot

you should never ever stand still or couch still, ever. even when you're healing or looting there's some literal wiggle room so wiggle away. i guarantee you will instantly die waaay less. tryhards also constantly toggle crouch while wiggling to avoid headshots but that's a little too much work for me personally.

this is mostly because hit detection is client side so you can't really dodge on reaction

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zo posted:

this is only true is you stand still like an idiot

you should never ever stand still or couch still, ever. even when you're healing or looting there's some literal wiggle room so wiggle away. i guarantee you will instantly die waaay less. tryhards also constantly toggle crouch while wiggling to avoid headshots but that's a little too much work for me personally.

this is mostly because hit detection is client side so you can't really dodge on reaction

It would be more fun if people didn't have to dodge non-stop in order to not die instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

sum posted:

Part of it is being decent at the combat, but luckily that's only a portion of what matters. Equally important is knowing how to position yourself advantageously. High ground is generally good, but you have to get there first. Don't just ignore gunfire, analyze it. Hearing two different guns being fired to the west? Here's your opportunity to approach from the east. Watch some streamers. This is what people mean when they talk about "game sense".

• Locked thread