Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well. So my load out is Beastmaster/ber/zER/KER. What are some tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

:smithicide:

i job faired out the fire one to be a white mage

Dwall
Jun 14, 2016
Don't believe Exdeath's lies! Basch lives! Beat my first run of the year.

Even though this team was practically made for abusing the Chicken Knife, I decided to go a different way:

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Calling all Captains Courageous! :siren:

This year, like every year, I plan on using the Chicken Knife like the dirty little coward I am. But you know what? I think you can do better!

For everyone who completes their run with a fully functioning Brave Blade either equipped or in their inventory (which is to say, a Brave Blade at full power; no running), I will donate $5 to Child's Play, up to a total of $150. For proof, all I ask is a screenshot of your party, standing before Exdeath in the Rift, with another screenshot of your untarnished Brave Blade boasting 150 attack power.

Dwall fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 19, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

ultrafilter posted:

I haven't seen a blue magic guide here, so here's my attempt at writing one. I'm using the GBA names here, so you'll have to look up the translation if you're playing a different version.

Nice, thanks. I'm on GBA, so this will come in very handy.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Welp, I did in fact roll Geomancer. On the plus side, that meant quick and dirty Skull Eater kills. Now the whole party has level 3 Red, which is basically all relevant magic for a while, while I work on other kinds of abilities.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh yeah, what about a sticky?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

oldskool posted:

SUM/BER/SER/KER is going to be a lot of fun

same, Summoner can probably just carry the game alone at least

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Pure chaos doesn't order the jobs earliest to latest does it? Like, to try and minimize the time you're spending freelancing?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tyty posted:

Pure chaos doesn't order the jobs earliest to latest does it? Like, to try and minimize the time you're spending freelancing?

It did one year, but I don't think it is this year, no.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think it atopped doing that after RK introduced Upgrade.

It certainly doesn't sort for PureChaos, I got Earth job for Water and Wind jobs for Fire and Earth.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Just hit the Fire crystal and Gilgabot has given me Knight/Mystic Knight/Ninja/? so far. What's better for a Mystic Knight? Two Handing or Dual Wielding? Also, is this setup decent so far? Kind of worried about not having mages yet (Normal Run).

Edit: Alternatively, can I Spellblade the two daggers that Ninjas wield?

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 19, 2017

Austere things
Feb 4, 2013

derra posted:

All zerks.

Ah, I figured as much. Thanks for confirming, though.

Doom Goon posted:

Just a heads up, that's a bad team for Liquid Flame so you're gonna want to grind. 4 zerks is like 19-22 depending on how it goes and if you use knives or hammers (I had a really good hammer session earlier). Geo-wise Fire-ship has Gust, Earthquake, and Twister technically. Human and Whirlwind Form absorbs Air while Hand Form has immunity to Air and Earth. Similar with the cannon at the end of World I, too, I believe.

Ah, thanks for the tips. I was wondering how much of a pain the fire ship would end up being, but I guess I can spend a little time grinding there. Also good to know that Geo will be more or less useless, so I might as well Zerk out until after everything to do with the fire crystal is over.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Dancer/BER/ZER/KER. Gilgabot wants me to practice patience, I guess.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
The death of a Summoner...

:cry: Goodbye Summoner!

Fhqwhgads posted:

Just hit the Fire crystal and Gilgabot has given me Knight/Mystic Knight/Ninja/? so far. What's better for a Mystic Knight? Two Handing or Dual Wielding? Also, is this setup decent so far? Kind of worried about not having mages yet (Normal Run).

It's complicated. It actually tends to balance out, but only really for endgame. For most of the game, dual wield wins. And if a weapon can be used with spellblade, it'll say so.t

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Sam/BER/ZER/KER.

Honored to get to experience trizerkers, hope to never do it again. Or at least to have a job other than Zerker before sandworm :gonk:

(Also this is another Basch on the pile.)

Olive! fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 19, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm slowly working my way through Thief/Ber/Zer/Ker. Made it to World 2, and have a stack of Hi Potions.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

L2 Old: Absolutely must-have. W2 Exdeath is vulnerable, and he's just not a threat when he's at level one.

Alternatively, L2 Old, wait a couple seconds, L5 Death.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fhqwhgads posted:

Most daggers can be used with spellblade, but certain ninja-only daggers may not be compatible.

It should tell you on the item page.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

BERSERKERS NEVER RUN, THEY NEVER SHOW FEAR.

Also +3 on the Basch Count, bringing us to 1+4.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nemo2342 posted:

Wind Crystal: Time Mage
Water Crystal: Bard

At this point, I'm really hoping the Fire Crystal gives me an Earth job because that would be too perfect.

In good news, the Fire Crystal gave me a Water Crystal job. In bad news, that job was Mime so it's going to be some time before I get to use it.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Current Mood: sandworm

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
What's the best World 1 gil grind? Is it wolf genocide, or are there better alternatives?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

I suppose I could get a worse combination of jobs.

Definitely going to need to fork tower it up though (and ofc meet up w/ gogo underwater)

e: sea trench, not fork tower. I need meteor, not flare.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Honored to get to experience trizerkers, hope to never do it again. Or at least to have a job other than Zerker before sandworm :gonk:

*hug* been there, buddy

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Koobes posted:

Also +3 on the Basch Count, bringing us to 1+4.

This is absolute madness. :popeye:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm glad the last job was something like Time Mage. If it was something like Geomancer I would have ripped my loving hair out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

agradine posted:

What's the best World 1 gil grind? Is it wolf genocide, or are there better alternatives?

It's the wolves by a wide margin.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Color Printer posted:

I'm glad the last job was something like Time Mage. If it was something like Geomancer I would have ripped my loving hair out.

Then you would look like the Isaac in your avatar.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Rirse posted:

Then you would look like the Isaac in your avatar.

true, I was on the verge of tears when fat chocobo saved me from an Archeoaevis wipe

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
One note:

ultrafilter posted:

[*]L2 Old: Absolutely must-have. W2 Exdeath is vulnerable, and he's just not a threat when he's at level one.
You might want to avoid this if you're playing the Super Famicom version of the game, since somehow it seems to underflow his Earth Shaker damage. It's ok if you're doing the L5 death strat but for anything longer it will get you dead dead dead.

e: very late edit it also turns his Fire3/Bolt3/Ice3 up to 11.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 29, 2017

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

quadzerk making me sweat against liquidflame :sweatdrop:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Black Mage and Mystic Knight.... hardly a bad team so far, but god drat do I wish I could heal.

Also, still pretty happy with this name.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

It's the wolves by a wide margin.

Black Flames are better but they can be a pain to fight for some teams.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ultrafilter posted:

• Transfusion: Why?

One note about Transfusion: it restores MP.

It's still not terribly useful in the base game, but it can be situationally useful.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Fhqwhgads posted:

I would suggest dual-wield usually. Maybe two-hand if you get a good sword upgrade and don't have a duplicate, like the Ancient Sword. A good rule of thumb for what can be used for spellblade is if Mystic Knight can equip it naturally then it will work, otherwise not. That includes most knives and swords, but excludes the Ninja-only knives and swords. I don't remember if the Knight-only swords work or not.

Don't worry about lack of magic. Mystic Knight can deal with almost anything that would normally require magic. That's quite a strong party anyway. If I signed up for a no750 run I could hardly expect better.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mountaineer posted:

I would suggest dual-wield usually. Maybe two-hand if you get a good sword upgrade and don't have a duplicate, like the Ancient Sword. A good rule of thumb for what can be used for spellblade is if Mystic Knight can equip it naturally then it will work, otherwise not. That includes most knives and swords, but excludes the Ninja-only knives and swords. I don't remember if the Knight-only swords work or not.

Don't worry about lack of magic. Mystic Knight can deal with almost anything that would normally require magic. That's quite a strong party anyway. If I signed up for a no750 run I could hardly expect better.

Yeah, Knightswords are spellblade-okay.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

plot.lost posted:

a butt's brave companion.

Dwall posted:

Even though this team was practically made for abusing the Chicken Knife, I decided to go a different way:

:coffeepal:

Koobes posted:

:sludgepal:

Tell you what Koobes, for you I'll make it $10.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Color Printer posted:

just give everyone summon and spam

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Having to leave the Elven Mantle behind in the basement of Walse castle is the truly painful part of trying a Brave Blade run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If you're playing the GBA version, you can abuse quicksaving to avoid the fight altogether.

• Locked thread