Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Vinylshadow posted:

I like the various promo images the BBC makes for Doctor Who

That looks very much like the Day of the Doctor poster. I'm hope we're getting the Day of the Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

docbeard posted:

For all the obvious mysteries about the upcoming finale, I confess to being most curious about how the Cybermen are going to react to Nardole

I hope they scan him, conclude that his body is superior to current Cyberman medical technology (and thus he has a better chance of surviving) and just leave him alone.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Senor Tron posted:

I hope they scan him, conclude that his body is superior to current Cyberman medical technology (and thus he has a better chance of surviving) and just all become Nardole, as well.

Yeah, that last part should be slightly different. :colbert:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The worlds supply of Hobnobs would be in grave danger in such an event...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Senor Tron posted:

I hope they scan him, conclude that his body is superior to current Cyberman medical technology (and thus he has a better chance of surviving) and just leave him alone.

In all seriousness, one of the great/terrifying things about the Cybermen is that they take what they consider psychological health into account too. In that if you still have emotions then it is subpar/inefficient for maximum health (and therefore survival) so they'll convert you in order to "fix" you.

Then you get into the fun "gently caress space-communism" aspects, where they consider anything outside of a set design/model is also a survival risk, because uniformity means everything can be replaced/repaired generically to maintain the survival of the Cybermen race, and anything individual, even if superior, presents a long-term survival risk because it's different and doesn't fit into the one size fits all model. There's a Big Finish which is otherwise pretty awful but has a great ending like this, where a futuristic Cyberman returns to Mondas and gets torn to pieces and "fixed" by the Mondasians who take his upgrades as a sign of something "wrong" with him.

That's one of the things I dig about them, the irony that the original Mondasians were terrified of dying, and ultimately created a race that probably doesn't have even a single Mondasian cell left in it because it's all been discarded/left behind over thousands of years and millions/billions of conversions of other races in order to ensure the Cybermen "survive".

God I wish they could do a good Cybermen story.....

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I really hope they use the weird sing-song vocoder voices :allears:
And I'd kill for them to reference the really creepy marching theme, even if remixed with the current Cyberman theme.

I think I brought it up in the last thread, but one of my favourite exchanges in Spare Parts;
"The City uses too many vital rezzzources. It will be Shut Down."
"What? That's insane!"
"Sacrificezzz muzzt be made."
"What's happened!? What could possibly be more important than saving people!?"
"WE. MUZZT. SURVIVE."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Briggsy's Ninth Doctor impression isn't very good. It's really adenoidal, and he leans way too hard on the goofy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Barry Foster posted:

Briggsy's Ninth Doctor impression isn't very good. It's really adenoidal, and he leans way too hard on the goofy.

I've come to the conclusion that Briggs is Who's Dennis Waterman. "I'll write the story, and play the Doctor!", despite not being any good at impressions.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Barry Foster posted:

It's just Nine going through a phase

He'll be right as rain once it passes

Then you reach that awkward moment when you finally get used to the impression, then you hear the original and you have a second where you go "Huh, that sounds off..." before the realization dawns on you

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I do wish we'd had a bit more Eccleston. For all that series 1 has aged badly, he does some great doctoring.

"Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!" <waggles explosive device with a massive grin>

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

I do wish we'd had a bit more Eccleston. For all that series 1 has aged badly, he does some great doctoring.

"Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!" <waggles explosive device with a massive grin>

Yeah, I mean, I can't blame the guy for leaving when he did, and I enjoyed Tennant a lot too, but I can't say I don't wish they'd chained Joe Ahearne to a director's chair for a year or two so Eccleston would have stuck around.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I mean, I can't blame the guy for leaving when he did, and I enjoyed Tennant a lot too, but I can't say I don't wish they'd chained Joe Ahearne to a director's chair for a year or two so Eccleston would have stuck around.

Looking up to see what Joe Ahearne's been up to, apparently he did a thriller last year called 'B&B' starring Paul McGann. I'll have to have a looksee at that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52uBMrPnoyk

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

IMDB posted:

Joe Ahearne was born on November 23, 1963

Huh.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Still waiting for season 2 of Ultraviolet, Joe. :colbert:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
[quote="“Doctor Spaceman”" post="“473511111”"]
Rome very probably had black emperors.
[/quote]

If black means Italians that interbred with Northern Africans, sure. If it means sub-Saharan African emperors, very unlikely. Also, I find it highly odd that even several pictures of black soldiers posted is still not enough to lay this supposed unhistoricy to rest, but nobody complains about them singing a song that has been written about 50 years after the episode took place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Doctor posted:

Still waiting for season 2 of Ultraviolet, Joe. :colbert:

Holy poo poo, someone other than me who has seen Ultraviolet :stare:.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Holy poo poo, someone other than me who has seen Ultraviolet :stare:.

I saw it when it aired. It was where my Idris Elba crush started, so I got dibs on him years before anyone else. :smug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

I've come to the conclusion that Briggs is Who's Dennis Waterman. "I'll write the story, and play the Doctor!", despite not being any good at impressions.

He'll be teaming up with Jon Culshaw to do a new series of Dead Ringers next.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Doctor posted:

I saw it when it aired. It was where my Idris Elba crush started, so I got dibs on him years before anyone else. :smug:

I've always been sad no other Vampire franchise has ripped off their genius Camcorder-mounted handguns (no reflection == no image on the screen :eng101:) and charcoal-tipped bullets.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've always been sad no other Vampire franchise has ripped off their genius Camcorder-mounted handguns (no reflection == no image on the screen :eng101:) and charcoal-tipped bullets.

That was one of my favorite things about Ultraviolet, and by extension just how much a pain in the rear end being a vampire must be in the modern world.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The bit where their voices couldn't carry electronically was probably the only bit that didn't make sense.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Doctor posted:

The bit where their voices couldn't carry electronically was probably the only bit that didn't make sense.

It makes about as much sense as having no reflection, and works in a modern-day setting :shrug:.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I want to say that they don't leave fingerprints either, which is even sillier, but I kind of dig that. The idea of taking a scientific approach to studying and hunting things that are in no sense rational is a really interesting take to me.

I also really liked that one of the hunters' central beliefs about "Code Vs", that their discomfort around people and symbols of faith was entirely a matter of superstition on the part of the vampires, was shown to be completely wrong a couple of times, and I'm not sure that the team ever spotted it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

...and now I have to find my Ultraviolet DVDs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've got mine somewhere but it's all on All4 if you can stand using it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have opinions on the Graceless audio dramas from Big Finish? I listened to the Key 2 Time Doctor Who releases and while I'm not, like, champing at the bit for more Amy/Abby and Zara, if the dramas are well done, I might check them out (context: they're 40% off on BF today)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

Anyone have opinions on the Graceless audio dramas from Big Finish? I listened to the Key 2 Time Doctor Who releases and while I'm not, like, champing at the bit for more Amy/Abby and Zara, if the dramas are well done, I might check them out (context: they're 40% off on BF today)

They're unfortunately quite bad, and that's coming from someone who mostly really liked the Key 2 Time. :(

e: I only got through the first two seasons, though, and I think they just kept making them? It's possible they got better, but I doubt it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Grace Holloway doesn't turn up at all. :mad:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

They're unfortunately quite bad, and that's coming from someone who mostly really liked the Key 2 Time. :(

e: I only got through the first two seasons, though, and I think they just kept making them? It's possible they got better, but I doubt it.

They've released 4 sets so far. Guess I'll give them a pass then. Thanks!

The_Doctor posted:

Grace Holloway doesn't turn up at all. :mad:

Well, yeah...its GraceLESS after all

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

They've released 4 sets so far. Guess I'll give them a pass then. Thanks!

Yeah, like I'd tell I'm just one opinion, but the few others in the thread who had heard it recommended me against listening to it, so most people seem to dislike it. The Companion Chronicle featuring one of the two of them was decent, in my opinion.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dude trying to reach through the bookshelves to get to the console room.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88woasIG27M

I cannot get over his godly hair

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

What do you hate about it? The meta elements or the campiness?

Mostly the meta. I can live with camp and missy works best when being a bit camp.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jivjov posted:

Well, yeah...its GraceLESS after all

One of my favorite Big Finish jokes is when they brought in Daphne Ashbrook for a guest role. At one point everybody sits down and somebody says they should say Grace, and the 8th Doctor insists,"Grace? There's no grace here!"

Vinylshadow posted:

I cannot get over his godly hair

It's glorious

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
so finally got around to the new episode.
I don't see why a few minutes where Bill mentions she doesn't like girls in a reasonable context is even mentionable when there's the episode has that stupid sideplot about why crows say CAW. The gently caress was that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

so finally got around to the new episode.
I don't see why a few minutes where Bill mentions she doesn't like girls in a reasonable context is even mentionable when there's the episode has that stupid sideplot about why crows say CAW. The gently caress was that.

Well the crows aren't gay (they might be women though), so obviously that takes no screentime whatsoever and is completely unobjectionable.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Well the crows aren't gay (they might be women though), so obviously that takes no screentime whatsoever and is completely unobjectionable.

They were black though. Someone call the Daily Mirror.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Open Source Idiom posted:

They were black though. Someone call the Daily Mirror.

Daily Mail. The Mirror's actually the least obnoxious tabloid by some distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I was thinking about the episode and I wasn't really sure what the rules of the monster were. So it ate people and could put some kind of toxic slime on them and lived in the dark. But it and its kind also eat light and will eat all the light in the universe unless they are stopped but also they really hate having light shined on them. Plus it can be stopped in its home dimension by brute force/Roman period weaponry but in our dimension it can kill almost an enitre Roman legion with little issue? Did it even get a name? I can't remember now.

I mean, the episode was fun and I enjoyed it but I'm realising I had no idea of how the antagonist worked or really was.

• Locked thread