Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Remember when Fractale was supposed to save anime*?

*according to Yamakan, anyway

Meanwhile, Madoka's team cheerily announced that, while they wanted to make something good, hell yes they were merchandising this brightly colored show about middle school girls fighting monsters.

They had the sense to realize anime was going to be saved on Christmas Eve 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also even if Mamika hadn't died (largely to justify Alice's dumb crusade for REVEEEEEEEEEEEEEENGE)

Alice's weakness is inability to deal with cognitive dissonance. Yes it's dumb, but it wasn't dumbly executed. They even animated the exact moment where her brain freezes up.

They already mentioned that the characters could change while on Earth, and it's not like every one of them will become a gooder guy. I enjoyed the simplicity and harsh execution of Alice's character progression, and would even go as far to say it generated a smidge of empathy.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

chiasaur11 posted:

The really irritating thing was, if Mamika had lived, she'd have to have carved her own path. Madoka's arc ended in apotheosis, and that wouldn't work here. But instead, death.

I mean, there's all the angles just dangling there. Unlike most of the characters, Mamika explicitly comes from a softer world. Her creator already gave her what Alice wants for free. I don't think they met up, which could be interesting either as "I wanted to make something inspirational" or "Honestly? You were a paycheck". Plus, the net result of her trials was taking someone with the power and the will to help people, and putting her in a position where she had to re-evaluate her methods. Lots of room to maneuver there.

But no.

Dead.

Those would have all been interesting angles. Mamika seemed like the best-developed character in this show, and it's frustrating that they were only interested in using her as a plot device to manufacture some dumb misunderstandings to get everyone trying to kill each other.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they were all halfway ready to kill each other from the start. alice was downright eager, even.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they were all halfway ready to kill each other from the start. alice was downright eager, even.

That's why I'm really baffled by the turn they took. Alice didn't actually need an additional reason to try to stab the protagonists; she had already pretty clearly committed to Altair's plan simply by virtue of the forlorn desperate hope that there was maybe possibly a vanishingly small chance that she could somehow change the nightmare world she comes from for the better, and had even already blown the heroes off once when they tried to convince her otherwise.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
But it's important to have the innocent, pure magical girl disillusioned and then bloodily murdered because that's BREAK YOUR STEREOTYPES in 2017.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mamika's story was short-lived but I wouldn't say was badly executed. She had a pretty clear trajectory through which her naïvete leads to a tragic downfall. It doesn't break new ground, but it's written pretty well for what it is, which is more than can be said for the rest of the show.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Caphi posted:

But it's important to have the innocent, pure magical girl disillusioned and then bloodily murdered because that's BREAK YOUR STEREOTYPES in 2017.
Nevermind Season one of Sailor Moon back in '92 (and to a more focused extent PG Sailor Moon in 03 in which Sailor Moon's final form should have been backed by the Ideon's Theme) was basically chronicling Usagi spiralling into a nervous breakdown punctuated by everyone dying and her basically being "gently caress all this."

If anything having the MG be a Symphogear / Nanoha "Super Robot" type whose belief that beating people into submission will bring them to their senses and to the side of justice and how that could be bent over a knee would have been breaking the stereotype.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 17, 2017

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Yes, you truly are a murderer, Souta-kun. :geno:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

*A new anime character arrives*

This show is not good.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So what characters are we missing?

We need Akagi, a Titan-shifter, Osomatsu or some other gag character, and a sports dude.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
MFW reading this thread

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So it seems glasses boy is even less responsible for his idiot friend's death than we thought...

(Also, lol, someone said they'd make the wiki)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dzhay posted:

So it seems glasses boy is even less responsible for his idiot friend's death than we thought...

(Also, lol, someone said they'd make the wiki)

It's impressive, really. If he'd been more of a piece of poo poo, he'd be much more likable.

Someone ruins his best friend's life, she commits suicide? Yeah, that's something to give a guy a guilt complex and an understandable reluctance to get involved in poo poo since, you know, last time he left his best friend dead and now maybe caused the apocalypse.

With the current setup, he's just a guy who's physically incapable of stepping up to the plate and swinging.

In a show full of bad decisions, everything about him is a standout.

We're talking an ostensible protagonist who makes Hamlet look like Othello.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't know, I found Sota's backstory to actually be pretty understandable and sympathetic. It's incredibly realistic for a person to harbor feelings of guilt and self-reproach when they feel like they could have prevented a friend from engaging in self-harm or suicide, to the point where it can be quite crippling or debilitating. The experience Sota went through, if it happened to a real person(obviously without the animes coming to life part) would generally require a lot of counseling and therapy to truly overcome, not a "nut up, you pussy" and a kick in the rear end. This episode actually made me a lot less annoyed with his character than I was before now that the whole context of his past is apparent, and it makes pretty much everything about the character's weird tics like his constant deflection or his refusal to draw or show his art to other people feel a lot more natural. You could write a show based on the relationship he had, the loss he suffered, and how he learns to cope with it and it would probably be pretty drat good.

However, we're not watching this show for a touching drama about coping with suicide, we're watching to see anime characters come to life and beat each other up. The question is where does the character go from here? He's not Altair's creator or co-creator, and everyone else knows what he knows about her creator now. The only reason he has to still be present is the potential for drama between Altair and himself, but in her appearance in the previous episode he was quite clearly on the scene and she didn't spare him a second glance so she doesn't seem to give a poo poo about him.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Altair noticed him pretty clearly in the first few episodes, so she knows.

But yeah I think in terms of portraying the "real life" characters as real people with real people issues the show does pretty drat well. Each scene probably had a bit too much screentime, but the writing was, in my opinion, a-ok. Definitely not something to hold against the show, unlike say Meteora pulling cosmology from thin air and everyone just nodding.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

Dzhay posted:

I don't think it's as all implausible that he hasn't finished telling the story of his involvement yet (i.e, that the episode ended mid-flashback). He hasn't described the creation of Altair or Setsuna's suicide, both of which are presumably things he knows about.

The episode ends at the point in Sota's story where he admits that he was so jealous that he felt happy to see her being bullied. I think it's a good point to end on because that's the most emotionally significant part of the story to him - if he did take an active role in the bullying later on, he probably thinks of that as just a sub-category of the overall sin of letting his jealously overcome him.

Also I think maybe this show becomes a lot better if you stop expecting it to be an action show and start expecting it to be a character drama / exploration of the themes of authorial creativity & fandom.

Maybe I'm just saying that because the constant ragging on the show in this thread has been getting me down and I feel like I'll be judged for talking about it as if it's Flawed yet Overall Pretty Good otherwise.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

a computing pun posted:

Also I think maybe this show becomes a lot better if you stop expecting it to be an action show and start expecting it to be a character drama / exploration of the themes of authorial creativity & fandom.

It gets better if you dramatically lower your expectations from "original anime" to "budget light novel adaptation that came out before the actual light novel"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There's a lot of text spilled about how Sota is a designated hero with little real influence on the plot, but apart from that (and now that it seems to be looking up) I think Selesia, who seems to be the main heroine and main fighting protagonist, hasn't done anything except swing her sword and get tweethacked since episode 2.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Caphi posted:

There's a lot of text spilled about how Sota is a designated hero with little real influence on the plot, but apart from that (and now that it seems to be looking up) I think Selesia, who seems to be the main heroine and main fighting protagonist, hasn't done anything except swing her sword and get tweethacked since episode 2.

Also accurate. Which is a big part of why I'm so skeptical of "No, it's good and it's just more realistic and subtle about Sota's arc". Show fucks up too many other ways to trust that it's just having difficulty conveying one point because we're all expecting something standard anime.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Maybe Altair is trying to destroy the anime world by making RE: Creators a bad anime that no one will continue to watch.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
This show is okay.

also lol at the goons who think that Sota's issues aren't realistic

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I wouldn't bother questioning the realism of it, but it's mildly underwhelming after a dozen episodes of buildup.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
basically the show isn't as good as it could be and nowhere near as bad as grouchio says it is

and lol at all the retards who decided to jump on grouchio's bandwagon

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Phobophilia posted:

and lol at all the retards who decided to jump on grouchio's bandwagon

Hell, same

I feel legit bad for Sota and his girlfriend, though

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It's almost as if sometimes peoples' reactions to tragedy are not entirely logical and that survivor's guilt can take a lot of seemingly obtuse forms. I don't see how Sota's sense of guilt over that situation is all that weird when you're dealing with a socially-awkward teenager who struggles with his sense of self-worth and searches for validation externally and online.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Need to get that boy some booze, to deal with it like an adult.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So basically, this is an anime where the world is in danger of ending because of internet trolls and cyber-bullying.

I love it. :allears:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

paragon1 posted:

So basically, this is an anime where the world is in danger of ending because of internet trolls and cyber-bullying.

Well I'd call it stupid, if it weren't for the fact I'm living in the only country that fell for that bullshit and now has the most unqualified administration ever.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Annointed posted:

Well I'd call it stupid, if it weren't for the fact I'm living in the only country that fell for that bullshit and now has the most unqualified administration ever.

I didn't know you could post from North Korea.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

I didn't know you could post from North Korea.

I don't believe that the Korean War had much to do with Kim Il-sung's ability to drop sick burns on chatrooms. Could be wrong, though.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Re:Creators: the dark and gritty Gatchaman Crowds reboot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Man I want another Crowds now.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Get Mitsubishi or whatever is considered a really lame company to do "hip" commercials using Altair as their spokesperson. That should be enough to completely depower her.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
No wait, have the Berserk dudes make an anime about her.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if a clip from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei produces more fun than an entire episode of Re: Creators...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrMqi2ZVFnY

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

trucutru posted:

Get Mitsubishi or whatever is considered a really lame company to do "hip" commercials using Altair as their spokesperson. That should be enough to completely depower her.
I like that! I don't expect it to happen at this point considering the show's overall tone, but it'd be such a fun and only-possible-in-this-show way to defeat the big bad.

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if a clip from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei produces more fun than an entire episode of Re: Creators...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrMqi2ZVFnY

Grouchio,
"Thank's"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think the operative lesson here is that unless you're willing to do Awesome All Aerial Boat Vs Helicopter duels in your cartoon that the Black Lagoon guy is not the greatest asset to have.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 21, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

On the plus side, this episode featured an animation sequence that accurately depicts my reactions and feelings towards this show, and this thread, and a lot of things really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

All this talk of wasted potential but the Wizard Barristers, Benmashi Cecil hype train crashed so hard from so high everyone forgot about it.

• Locked thread