Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think we all agreed early on in the NRWR campaign that [Son] Amaris, for all his appearance of benevolence, is still basically a Bond villain.

His overly elaborate plan to commit crimes against Clan-manity is not exactly a surprise in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Xarbala posted:

The Ares Conventions were like early Star League guidelines-of-honor stuff that predate the Succession Wars, which is what people usually think of when imagining a time when having agreed-upon rules of conduct for warfare probably would've been nice.

They actually significantly pre-date the Star League! :eng101: In fact, the Star League typically went out of its way to ignore them when they warcrimed the poo poo out of the Periphery during the Reunification War.

The Clan trialing system is basically a ritualized version of the Ares Conventions suborned into determining who was the best at using their 12 meter tall prosthetic genitals, de facto if not as signatories. I kinda doubt it's still in play.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh that's right, I keep forgetting the Star League were actually a bunch of right fuckers weren't they.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The fuckiest. They were just the only bunch of fuckers that ever "won" BattleTech, so they got to look all rosey in the history books.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Xarbala posted:

Oh that's right, I keep forgetting the Star League were actually a bunch of right fuckers weren't they.

Yeah the Reunification War was not exactly a shining beacon of non-assholeness for the Camerons and the Star League.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Seriously, is there any faction in this setting that aren't raging assholes at one point or another?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
A: lets push the clanners out!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

Seriously, is there any faction in this setting that aren't raging assholes at one point or another?

No, but that doesn't stop people from trying to write their pet faction that way.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

W.T. Fits posted:

I feel like the FRR are maybe the only faction in the original timeline that doesn't ever warcrimes anyone. Maybe St. Ives too. Mostly that's just because they don't exist long enough to have a chance to do anything too dickish.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

W.T. Fits posted:

The Free Rasalhague Republic never really got a chance to. :v: I mean, they have this pronounced tendency to blow up civilian Ghost Bear laborers later, but that's not really the FRR doing it anymore, y'know?

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
This vote brings to the fore the one critique that I have with this thread. All the options are great and in this case they (mostly) present the conclusion of long running plot threads. Will the Drac Suns persist? Will the Minnesota Tribes be able to achieve their revenge? How crazy is Natasha Kerensky, really? Will the demon hawks make their way out of Andurien? It feels like each choice could be a whole shelf of stories and I kind of want to read them all.

All that being said, more then anything else I kind of want see how the Hanse's gamble pans out.

A

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I have to go for A. It's time to show the galaxy that the NRWR aren't the only ones who can thrash the Clans into submission.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
A

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Excuse me if I'm wrong, adherents to e-bushido that are here, but didn't the Clans war crime the gently caress out of Turtle Bay in the canon timeline?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

I'm going to vote D because gameplay wise, Manei Domini and Machina Domini implants are a ridiculous treat and we need at least one scenario showing off how ludicrous they can be.

And I think it's almost as good an illustration of the NRWR-Clan spat being an echo, including the hatred, of the Reunification Wars and the Amaris Coup. Hatred begets hatred, and both sides believe they're the defenders of humanity and of righteousness, fighting for a noble cause-and by doing so, they become monsters.

It's too late to stop. There's too many cycles of hatred to stop. No one stops. Not until the total annihilation of one side.

But on the other hand it doesn't feel quite like it's the right time in the scenario narrative to have Operation Genocide. First, we show no mercy to the Clans' soldiers. Then and only then is it the right dramatic time to have their society crippled.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 19, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Fraction Jackson posted:

This is definitely true, although some people are voting for B specifically because they want to warcrimes the Clans, which is the attitude that I'm questioning here.

And I agree with your reasoning! I'm just pointing out that even if B wins, we might not be the ones warcriming the Clans; we might be the ones getting warcrimed. I'm hoping that strengthens your argument, basically. :D

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

jng2058 posted:

It's like this. The original timeline Federated Commonwealth seemed like a good idea that could have worked....but ultimately fell apart because of lovely leadership.

The Federated Commonwealth could have worked as a military alliance, but once they moved it to a state it was doomed. Beyond a vague commitment to western-ish ideas of classical liberalism they don't have anything in common culturally, and centuries of Davion mismanagement left them in a West Germany/East Germany situation economically, but without a shared nationality to motivate people to reconstruct.

Strobe posted:

They actually significantly pre-date the Star League! :eng101: In fact, the Star League typically went out of its way to ignore them when they warcrimed the poo poo out of the Periphery during the Reunification War.

The Clan trialing system is basically a ritualized version of the Ares Conventions suborned into determining who was the best at using their 12 meter tall prosthetic genitals, de facto if not as signatories. I kinda doubt it's still in play.

And another fun note about the Ares Conventions: their introduction actually PROLONGED the Age of War, possibly by decades. People were getting real fuckin sick of real war, so when the Ares Conventions made it so that you basically just ran away if you got outmaneuvered (and your opponents had to let you do it, totally unscathed) and then came back next week to try again, everyone went back at it with renewed vigor.

Strobe posted:

The Free Rasalhague Republic never really got a chance to. :v: I mean, they have this pronounced tendency to blow up civilian Ghost Bear laborers later, but that's not really the FRR doing it anymore, y'know?

I mean... they treat mercenaries like total poo poo.

Skoll posted:

Excuse me if I'm wrong, adherents to e-bushido that are here, but didn't the Clans war crime the gently caress out of Turtle Bay in the canon timeline?

They got really mad that people weren't following their Clan rules of conforming to their dumb society and so they blew up a city.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 19, 2017

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I want to see NRWR going at the Clans with the gloves off. So off to D.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

They got really mad that people weren't following their Clan rules of conforming to their dumb society and so they blew up a city.

While it was inhabited.

tofuwizard
Feb 22, 2013
A The Draconis Suns will forge legends on Luthien! I give them one generation to fall apart horribly.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
B Hopefully the NWRW brought a second jump drive so they can bring Tetate back to the Inner Sphere.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
A

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Spoiled for choice here. A massive multinational clusterfuck over a symbolically important former battlefield, the embodiment of :sherman:, the second coming of Asa Taney's eugenicist circus, or the continued adventures of our favorite terribly named mercenaries.

Guess I'll have to go with throwing a vote on D just to bring up their numbers.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'm feeling sanguine about A

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
this is real tough, but A

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Without a doubt, A.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
"D amn, drat, drat,"
:goonsay:

Me, while I was trying to make this decision.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
No super strong opinion all the missions are interesting, so B just to keep it competitive.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Tran posted:

Spoiled for choice here. A massive multinational clusterfuck over a symbolically important former battlefield, the embodiment of :sherman:, the second coming of Asa Taney's eugenicist circus, or the continued adventures of our favorite terribly named mercenaries.

Guess I'll have to go with throwing a vote on D just to bring up their numbers.

Tran, come by #acolyte sometime. Waci's starting up spike game again soon if you wanna play.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is it any surprise that the guy who entered a dedicated war crime bot for one of the design contests can't keep himself from voting B

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Is it any surprise that the guy who entered a dedicated war crime bot for one of the design contests can't keep himself from voting B

link to warcrime bot

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The mech itself is boring and stupid and really should have had some flamers but I think I was also trying to start a fistfight at the table when I designed it. 7/11/7 with max armor and 10 small pulse lasers. Takes a classic Capellan clusterfuckbot and turns it into a lean, mean murder machine.

dis astranagant posted:

People wanted to see my fluff so here it is:

Introducing the VND-5R Counterinsurgency Battlemech

Sometimes no amount of mustache twirling and sleeping with murder cults can keep those lazy servitors in line. In times like these we have no choice but to swiftly and mercilessly put them back in their place and the Vindicator 5R does this like nothing before. It is lightning fast and able to leap tall buildings and other obstacles with incredible ease. 10 small pulse lasers and ample heatsinks allow the VND-5R to cut through rag tag bands of rebel infantry like they weren't even there and keep doing so for as long as necessary. Such firepower can easily demolish any improvised combat vehicles or armed industrialmechs they may have assembled. You may find yourself wondering if the 9.1 million cbill price tag is worth it but that just shows them that you mean business.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 19, 2017

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Looks like a 80-90% chance A has got it.

PTN: Could we make an impassioned plea for saving missions B and D here, like you sometimes did/still do to in slightly different form for a while? Pwuhleaaaseee!

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
B Let's keep things interesting until the very end then. I'd love to see some stomping on clanners either way though.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Remember, a vote for A is a vote for potentially finding out what happened to Korean Salaryman and Brave Office Chair.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Keru posted:

Remember, a vote for A is a vote for potentially finding out what happened to Korean Salaryman and Brave Office Chair.

Hopefully PTN hasn't turned Korean Salaryman into Downtrodden Laborer Caste Korean.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

As tempting as seeing the FedSuns in action in a major action would be, I can't help but fall for the allure of yet another crazy, daring Amaris plan. It's a close call, but the fact that Red Dawn is such a devious underhanded dickpunch, guaranteed to give several Clanners spontaneous rage-induced aneurysms, is enough win me over. As such, I gonna have to vote for B.

Also mind the chance for a mis-jump that results in us fighting sentient birdmen :v:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Also since it's been so long, which one are the 2nd Crusader Wave Clans angry about: Not being told there's an Amaris around or not being told that they successfully reformed the Star League?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I thought it was not being told they're very special boys and girls who are the best at everything.

That generally seems to be what Clanners are pissed about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

you'll have to speak up, i can't hear anything over the sound of you being smarter than everyone

• Locked thread